Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

BONGHITZ posted:

Oh man. I’m all for burning books now
That's Bradbury, not Heinlein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

dune's filled with words that are just fun to say. sardaukar. atreides. harkonnen. feyd. maud'dib.

Kull wahad!
Which in Arabic actually means "it’s all one" or "Whatever."

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Rappaport posted:

As stated above, there doesn't seem to be record of any, but let's look at it this way, Lem's main body of work focused on man's inability to truly or meaningfully contact alien life (Fiasco, HMV, Eden, Solaris), whereas Dune is about a group of humans who've managed to integrate themselves deeply into the alien ecology of a strange planet. Now, what Stanislaw might've thought about the quality of world-building is a separate question I suppose, but the themes of the two men seem to clash heavily. He might've also found the heavy focus on military stuff off-putting :v:

The alien life in Dune is not intelligent, though. A better comparison might be to The Invincible, where the protagonist sort of adapts at the end, at least enough to survive.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

paul_soccer10 posted:

DON'T ban me for asking itt but has anyone read lords of light

If you want weird Zelazny, try Creatures of Light and Darkness.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

tight aspirations posted:

The Baron's shield also protects him from the poison gas in the tooth.

e: That was a pretty poo poo plan, really.

What do you expect from a guy who's specifically conditioned against being able to commit murder?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Lathespin.gif posted:

read the entire thread, didn't see this posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIzTat3OD3w

dune owns.

This is literally perfect, from the garbage bag still suits to the sock puppet worms to the outro song.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Man I could really go for some semuta and the weird hosed up music that you love while you’re all jacked up on it right now

:350:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010jns1VcfU:350:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

paul_soccer10 posted:

fremen dont have fuckin horses

Those are probably Kulons.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Mutant Headcrab posted:

a guild navigator falls through a hole in reality and onto an imperial battlecruiser. taking a glowglobe from the wall he spies row upon row of astropaths. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling “my nigga have u tried spice”

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Now that you mention it, what DO sand worms eat to get so big? Some kind of sand krill? I can't recall it being mentioned, but the only book I've read repeatedly is the first one.

Also, if anyone's itching for more desert & drugs & insanity sci-fi, with a dash of Apocalypse Now and Moby Dick, you might like Involution Ocean by Bruce Sterling. Our protagonist is addicted to a drug called Flare, which is made from the ambergris of whales that swim through vast oceans of sand. He cons his way into working on a whaling ship so he can start breaking bad. Then poo poo goes sideways, I won't spoil anything else.

It's got some great details of world-building; I was just reminded of it because one thing is you never want to do on this planet is spit or bleed or pee over the side of the ship, because there are razor sharp flying fish that sense moisture in the sand the way a shark smells chum or a worm senses rhythm. Also, the giant sand whales eat sand krill.

Hey, I think I read that a long time ago. Do they turn a dead whale into a sand submarine?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Z'ha'dune is the homeworld of the Spice. No one leaves the same as they arrived.

That last part is a major plot point in The Dosadi Experiment.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

David Mitchell as Leto.

David Mitchell as Leto II.

David Mitchell as Paul.

David Mitchell as the Baron.

David Mitchell as Jessica.

David Mitchell as...well everybody.

Brian Blessed as the Baron.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What sci fi has a planet of mediocre entertainment for old and fearfully religious people?
I think there was one in one of Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series, but I can't be bothered to check.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

THE BAR posted:

As a guy who loves Three Hearts and Three Lions, how does Paul Anderson's sci-fi novels hold up? Particularly The High Crusade? Anachronisms are my favourite sci-fi tropes.

I asked in here because people seem to have an excellent taste in books, and we seem to be on a roll.

I've not read a lot of Anderson's stuff, but The High Crusade is awesome. The movie, not so much.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Rockopolis posted:

Either book is a fine stopping point. Just chop off what's incomplete and say, "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Bi-lal kaifa.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

We called the dog Idaho!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Ratatozsk posted:

Ok fine. Assume one of these

and one of these

behaved like Heinlein would have wanted. Happy?

Anything that’s not the John Schoenherr version is wrong, wrong, wrong. :colbert:
(#5 in this collection)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Applewhite posted:

gently caress, I just realized the solution to the problem of successfully bringing DUNE to the big screen is to make it a musical.

Opera. By Gilbert & Sullivan.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

phasmid posted:

*lightsaber snaps open*

Ay yo, I hear there be Harkonnen present.

HE SAID KWISATZ HADERACH! throws stone

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dune is one of those works that's really good at making you thirsty. Like Rango and Fury Road.

It also made me like cinnamon way more than I did before reading it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Found this while looking for something else.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

Paul's first son never lived to inherit a title, so he doesn't get a regnal number.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regnal_number

Wikipedia posted:

A notable exception to this rule is the German House of Reuss. This family has the particularity that every male member during the last centuries was named Heinrich, and all of them, not only the head of the family, were numbered. While the members of the elder branch were numbered in order of birth until the extinction of the branch in 1927, the members of the younger line were (and still are) numbered in sequences that began and ended roughly as centuries began and ended. This explains why the current (since 2012) head of the Reuss family is called Heinrich XIV, his late father Heinrich IV and his sons Heinrich XXIX and Heinrich V.
Trust the Germans to gently caress up simple rules. signed, A German

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Tnuctip posted:

I wonder what the equivalent would be to the “no” blocking, as psychohistory and presience are both fairly similar (albiet much more granular with presience.)

The Mule?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

free hubcaps posted:

when is the green brain movie coming out

I want a movie of The Dosadi Experiment.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

That’s one of Giger's designs for the Jodorowsky movie, isn’t it?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

These are great. It must be frustrating for an artist to have an imagination like this, when there is so much mediocre character design stuff out there...

The stillsuits look very... visceral.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

No true Fremen would expose that much skin, kill him before he wastes more of the tribe's water.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Jestery posted:

The idea of killing a fremen and using his own stillsuit to extract his water is a cool mental image

Wouldn’t work very well; IIRC the deathstills actually ground the body to dust to get all the water out.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

exmachina posted:

Large scale movements of men would have been extremely rare before Duke Leto assumed control of Arrakis.

It's mentioned somewhere (might be in the appendices of book 1) that almost all traffic in the empire was on foot or using animals, specifically to control and limit the movement of the rabble population. Only the nobles and their troops had access to vehicles and air transport. Presumably there was no public transport at all.
The Fremen were an exception since they managed to use worms for transport, something that no outsider even imagined was possible.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

I don't remember my physics nearly well enough, but there's something not-quite-static-electricity about glass/scilica (which is what sand is) and silk (and other protein fibers, presumably including sandworms' outer layer) that generate an electromagnetic charge - the name has something to do with rubbing, but I can't for the life of me remember it right now. Problem is, the voltage and capacitance of it is very very small, so I've always assumed that worms use it for a trick to charge itself and then unleesh the so-called shire-sized electric charges somewhat akin to electric eels and other bioelectrogenesist animals.

Triboelectricity. Also produces lightning in thunderstorms (and the charge that zaps you unexpectedly after walking on synthetic carpet). Even though the individual charges are small, they add up.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Temaukel posted:

Herbert describes him a bit like a chinese stereotype, Fu Manchu moustache included.

That's how John Schoenherr drew him.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Temaukel posted:

I'm guessing Hawat, and I'm guessing you're guessing the same

Wheels within wheels!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

Someone lock this guy in a dungeon with the complete Lem Bibliography until he repents, tia

MikeJF posted:

I miss Iain M Banks and Iain Banks. :smith:

Good taste itt. I'll throw in Jack Vance.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

:perfect:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Uh this is the movie where he poisoned like 100 rabbits to death, and that’s to say nothing about the midget actors in his various films.

There is nothing wrong with having a bunch of small people in a movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cfumd0JPBw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_70MdRm5I

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 25, 2019

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Bistromatic posted:

I have no idea how reliable this site is but google news just gave me an article about a bene gesserit TV series being ordered
https://deadline.com/2019/06/dune-the-sisterhood-series-warnermedia-streaming-service-1202630479/

quote:

Villeneuve, who also is a co-writer on the upcoming Dune movie, and Spaihts will executive produce with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J Anderson will co-produce.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A Dune fighting game actually sounds kind of rad. Especially as an old school 2D fighter with elaborate sprites.

Nah, give me Arkham whatever with Crysknives.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

skasion posted:

Arrakis would be a pretty boring setting for a game. once the thrill of seeing stuff from the books wears off, it’s all a big desert.

Counterpoint: Shadow of Mordor. I think you could make a pretty good Dune game along similar lines.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

If we're speaking numbers, how many Fremen there were anyway, since we know that they jihaded away literally tens of billions of people across the known universe and it took them all of 15 years. Were they just deciding that a given planet is full of unsalvagable heretics and glassed it? The total number of Fremen, given harsh conditions and requirements of secrecy couldn't have been higher that something like 100 million (way less probably).

If every one of those 108 Fremen kills 100 people, that's your 10 billion done. I think the Mongols used that approach when they depopulated cities that had resisted them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Dune the t-shirt
Dune the lunchbox
Dune the coloring book
Dune the breakfast cereal

Dune THE FLAME THROWER!