Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Whoa, what'd Superman do in Africa?
Why don't you just watch the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I watched BvS in spite of what I said and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It was too long, lots of it made no sense, and the quality of writing varied wildly from scene to scene and character to character, but it had good parts.
Which parts made no sense?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Anybody even tacitly supporting White and "crisis actors" deserves a permaban, in my opinion. SMG got off too easy.

With that said, Black Panther ruled. I never did see Thor Ragnarok (mainly because I didn't like What We Do In The Shadows), but I should probably give it a shot.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 22, 2018

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BvS has a lot of problems but it's only incoherent if you actually are not paying attention. And in fact, the characters DO explicitly say many of the things that people complain about, like "Why does Luther hate Superman?"

Even if theoretically Batman's armor wouldn't have stopped Superman, the armor is part of being Batman. The armor has been helping him beat up non-aliens for years. When he goes out Batmaning, he wears the armor. It's an expensive gadget just like his Batarang or the Kryptonite gas bombs.

He's not Bruce Wayne fighting Superman, he's Batman fighting Superman.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 23, 2018

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

One thing I didn't quite get in Black Panther, sorry if I missed a scene in the movie somewhere. The glowing writing on the inside of their lip, is it there from birth or do that tattoo it when they're children?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's a tattoo. Killmonger explicitly has one because his dad gave it to him.
I would think that the Wakandans have a ritual for that sort of thing, like they do with literally everything, and any tattoo inked without that ritual would be unsanctioned or invalid. After Killmonger shows his tattoo, they could have just said, "Yeah, but we didn't do that."

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

His father said it would let him go to Wakanda one day, and I'm willing to assume he knows more about Wakandan rituals than you do.
You assume incorrectly! :colbert:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

A few people in this thread think that Captain Marvel/Shazam is actually a known character to the general public?

Some of y'all need to get out of your bubble.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't recall anyone saying that. I, and other posters have said Captain Marvel was wildly more popular than Superman in his heyday. Which was 60+ years ago.
At least one person said it:

BiggerBoat posted:

Curious myself but reasonably confident that pretty much everybody knows who Shazam is.

Regardless, I'm curious how it will tie into the current JL universe. I feel like WB has pretty much abandoned it after JL was terrible. The standalone films will probably only very loosely reference the others, if at all. They're not even using Leto in the standalone Joker movie.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Saw Thor Ragnarok for the first time recently.

I liked it a lot. It was nice to see a Thor movie that was more than just "it's fine." I loved how colorful it was, and it was funny, and of course Goldblum was great. It's one of my more favorite MCU movies.

I disliked how the characters were basically completely different versions of themselves, though, almost as if they wrote a comedy and then just decided to change the names to Thor and Loki after-the-fact (maybe that's why it was good, I don't know). Thor, for example, was never a clumsy doofus like he was too many times in this movie. It's weird that I think these are my favorite versions of these characters in the MCU, but I just didn't like how different they were from the other versions. I'm sure Thor won't be a dweeby dork in Infinity War either, so it would just be jarring.

I also liked seeing a lot of Hulk, but I didn't like goofy, relaxed Hulk. This is just a personal preference, but I like my Hulk raging and just barely controllable. He wasn't a sincere character, in my opinion.

I did like how it turns out that Odin wasn't such a great guy, working with Hela to take over all of these worlds before becoming a peaceful leader, but then that didn't really go anywhere. They mentioned it a couple times and Thor was just like "that's unfortunate" and that's it. It should have had more impact on him.

Also, I was hoping that Mjolnir would be replaced by a different weapon at the end that he would call Mjolnir 2, maybe a sword or a mace or something, but that's not really something that I can hold against the movie.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

What benefit does refinancing the population of the universe hold for our large purple friend?
Per Kevin Feige....

quote:

He’s from a planet called Titan that’s no longer inhabited because of things that he thought he could help prevent, and he was not allowed to do that. What he feared most happened, and the planet and everybody on it basically went extinct. He vowed not to let that happen again. He thinks he sees the universe going down the tubes. He thinks he sees life expanding outward unchecked. That will bring ruin, he believes, to the universe and to that life.

Not a great explanation right now. I hope they end up smoothing out his motivation a bit.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The only IHOP Kansas has is the International House of PRAYER.
Um, that's in Missouri, you scrub.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 19, 2018

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

If you think about any of the superheroes for more than a second, then none of them make sense, Ant-Man isn't unique.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

looks like that leak about deadpool 2 was right, given that trailer
The one where Baccarin dies in the first 10 minutes?

Boo.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Didn't pictures from the set of Avengers 4 show people in their old uniforms and locations? It's possible that Cap and lot of others die in Avengers 3, and Avengers 4 has the surviving heroes getting Time Stone back and fixing things.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Same but it's going to be tears of pain that in going to see avengers 4
You don't have to see the movie.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Pretty sure I've been defending Ang Lee's Hulk for years in previous threads before it was cool. :colbert:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

Do you like Fox Marvel release delays? Have some more.

https://twitter.com/theinsneider/status/978500297944326145?s=21
New Mutants is delayed EVEN MORE? Don't we already have a trailer for New Mutants? Are they just re-filming the whole thing?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Renoistic posted:

Apocalypse is hilariously violent for being PG-13.
Kong: Skull Island was more violent. Not that I care. Too many moves are rated R that should actually be rated PG-13 anyway.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Can we talk about iron Man 2 for a second? Why is it considered bad? As noted above, all the principle actors do their job. It gives you everyone you expect from an iron Man movie and pushes the character arc forward.
One of the big reasons people were let-down is because Iron Man 1 had Bad Iron Man as the villain and Iron Man 2 had another Bad Iron Man as the villain.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

What has he directed?
There is an easy way to find this out.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

not trolled not crying posted:

This kind of stuff is what makes me frustrated with most blockbusters these days. Like, what excuse do they have to not even try crafting scenes like that?
For superhero movies, there are only a few that put much effort into cinematography: Ang Lee's Hulk, Man of Steel (fight me), and not exactly the same, but Unbreakable.

For blockbusters in general, there are quite a bit that have effective (for their purposes) cinematography or even great cinematography.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

A lot of people disliked BvS and I totally get it. It has problems. It's basically two movies spliced into one, so the editing and pacing is jarring. Also, the reason why Batman stops trying to kill Superman gets stupider the more I think about it ("Martha!").

I disagree with some of the common complaints, such as the movie being confusing. The actual story-lines for each character are not that complicated or hard to follow. If there was an easy way to watch the Batman scenes separately as a Batman movie, and the Superman scenes separately as a Superman movie, only including the other when it's relevant or when they share the scene, I think people would take to it a lot more.

People also say they don't understand some of the motivations of the characters, despite them explicitly stating them in the movie. I think people just don't pay attention or something, because they'll say things like "Why does Luther want to kill Superman?" Did you even watch the movie and listen to what he was saying?

I disagree with the "not my Superman" thing. Superman doesn't kill anyone (even the bad guy who kidnaps Lois, which they again explicitly state in the movie), he's shown saving people from a flood (complete with religious imagery), he tries to stop Batman from killing people, and he helps clean up and save people after the explosion at the Capitol (which I think was just in the director's cut, but really should have been kept in the theatrical version). Superman is still a Jesus figure, his existence is a struggle, and the movie really hits you over the head with it.

I also disagree with the "not my Batman" thing. Batman kills people in the movie, and those he doesn't kill either get a death sentence anyway (via the Bat-branding) or probably-permanent injuries. However, Batman kills in every Batman movie series (despite claims otherwise), this movie just takes that fact to a more visceral and brutal place that people seemed to be uncomfortable with. Batman is a broken shell of a person and his story is one of redemption.

I think the movie is good. It set the future DC universe up nicely, but it's too bad Justice League flat-out ignored so much of it, and JL is a much worse movie because of that (and many other reasons). I assume now that we'll never get answers to the Flash travelling thru time or Batman's Darkseid-induced dreams, and JL brought Superman back in the dumbest way. BvS also has some beautiful scenes that Whedon couldn't even get close to creating, it's obvious Snyder took a lot of care to craft each scene. The movie is also extremely dense with imagery and symbolism (although maybe even too much).

All right, I'm done.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Anybody post this yet?

Cathy Yan to Direct Harley Quinn Spinoff Starring Margot Robbie

quote:

Cathy Yan has been tapped to direct a DC spinoff movie centered on crazed supervillain Harley Quinn. The girl gang movie will be based on the “Birds of Prey” comic, with Margot Robbie attached to star.

Does this mean DC might actually be sticking with the existing Justice League universe for the time being?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Avengers 4 is still Thanos stuff, they just removed the Infinity War Part 2 subtitle from it. If I remember correctly, they didn't want to reveal the title until Infinity War was released since it will apparently be a spoiler.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Did they confirm that?
I guess if you consider Kevin Feige a source. I know he says a lot of things.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1650510/why-avengers-4-doesnt-have-a-title-yet-according-to-kevin-feige

quote:

Me: When I talked with Joe and Anthony Russo last year, I guess a couple months ago, they mentioned... we [the public] don't know the name of Avengers 4, that they're not going to announce it, it's going to be a minute. I'm curious if the reason for that is because it's a spoiler.

Kevin Feige: Yeah, for sure.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Thanks. He also says this though:
Yeah, I'm guessing that he doesn't want people to think Infinity War is not a "complete" movie; like, "don't wait until Avengers 4 to see them both because this is a separate movie."

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

After a huge climactic battle, they fail to stop Thanos from collecting the Stones, and all of the heroes die when Thanos snaps his fingers.

And then a figure slowly emerges from the shadows, each distinguishable feature coming into view. "Time to come out of retirement one last time," broods Hawkeye.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

There are also tons of spoilers out now since it premiered in full last night.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

One could argue that none of those creatures are sentient, self-aware, or have consciousness.

However, one could also argue that a fish is relatively as sentient to us as we are to a more advanced alien species.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Name movies where the ads are better.
American Sniper

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Stallone loves trump and he always tries to make the next film better or different in some way.
The most recent Rambo wasn't very good, just ultra-violent, but it was shallow and dumb otherwise.

Also, "Stallone loves trump," :lol:.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Vaguetweeting is just as stupid as vaguebooking.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Thor Ragnarok treated the previous installments with a lot of disrespect and I fault it for that. However, it is the best of the Thor movies otherwise.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

eyebeem posted:

It’s literally a piece of entertainment designed to be experienced over the course of a couple of hours.

The half remembered experience of watching it is second only to the experience of watching it itself.
Every movie needs to have an immediate and lasting impact that changes the course of your life.

They can't just be for "entertainment," that's for rubes.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It is. Christopher Nolan made three Batman movies. That makes Beavis the fifth movie.
You aren't actually implying that Man Of Steel and the DCEU movies following it are part of Nolan's Batman timeline, are you?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

We are talking about franchises, not timelines.
I mean, I thought it was pretty clear he was referring to the current generation not the Batman movies as a whole. If you do that, then you might as well including Batman 66, Burton's Batman generation, the animated movies....

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I agree with Groovelord Neato that it's possible for an alien spaceship wreck to realistic, but I disagree that the above shot looks bad.

I do think that "realistic" in the terms of a movie is a fluid term, though, because how it "looks" would depend on the visual style. Something that looks good in one movie wouldn't look good if it was just pasted into another movie, like Independence Day and Arrival (for example).

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 4, 2018

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Just let Trevor be dead, good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Maybe that new CG Spider-man movie will turn some heads. There's poo poo going on in there that you just could not do in live action.
Are you referring to Into the Spider-Verse? I'm not seeing anything in the trailer that hasn't been done or can't be done in a live action movie - they use CG in live-action movies just like they do in Spider-Verse.