Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

also the decades if not centuries of government funded r&d that all of this builds upon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

swiftkey is weirdly one of the only keyboards that can handle multilingual users well. everything else i've tried forces you to switch layouts every time you switch language or their predictive text gets confused, which is a real drag.

i still remember having a t9 "keyboard" on a nokia feature phone as the best experience, because i have huge fingers and am from a country with conveniently similar language to finnish

right now i am stuck on swiftkey because of multilingual support, but they will probably never make a t9 layout because of patents or something

to my dumb brain there is no apparent reason why layout and predictive text should be tied together

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

President Beep posted:

I’m thinking estonia

yup, that's correct

though estonian and finnish are really not similar enough that you can use the same predictive text databases, but frankly I would just be happy with a t9 that has it's prefix tree built out of some publicly available common word list and has some kind of learning capability

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

also lol if you think independent artists don't already sign up to spotify either directly or through services like distrokid

probably this detail will help them gently caress all in terms of profitability but i am trying to argue against the poster that assumed spotify can not have it's "own" content - it can already, whereas i am not aware that joe random can upload their poo poo on netflix

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

they absolutely do but the discovery algorithm needs to be smarter than "a playlist tha's just some poo poo you searched for once, forever, with no new advice"

also a "new hits" section that isn't entirely hip-hop would be nice, not that i have a problem with hip-hop but i'm not n-bombing my office

my understanding is that on spotify human-curated playlists is where it's the best chance for some musician to get his stuff into rotation, and there's some emerged market of people who make these playlists which is not entirely unlike what radio hosts kind of do

not sure how the playlists are chosen and promoted though

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

lancemantis posted:

it also gives them the bonus of

1) the psuedo-egalitarian actions they crave, "doing something for others"
2) they get to remake schools in a vision of the way they think they should have experienced school to begin with, a vision arrived at later in life based on how they experienced their adulthood success

its like parents living vicariously though their children, except they want to live vicariously through everyone's children

This is nothing else but a thinly veiled desire to rule or dominate someone else through financial superiority while insulating you and yours from the world at large, and a superiority complex which makes you believe that you are the only competent person to wield that power.

I also see this in Japan. If you go to Rakuten's headquarters there is a huge video screen presenting how one of the founders is building a school and how it is his dream etc. I see SoftBank having a trillion dollars to invest.

I also see https://www.nippon.com/en/in-depth/a04603/ and people I know not being able to go to work because all kindergarten spots are filled. I remember reading somewhere that Japan's population is decreasing at the speed of 50 people per hour.

quote:

The average age of Japan’s single mothers is 40. Of the total, 80.8% are divorced, while a mere 7.8% are unwed mothers. Another 7.5% are widows. Their average annual income, including all government benefits, child support, and alimony, is ¥2.23 million, about half of Japan’s median household income. Although a full 80.6% of single mothers are employed, their annual wage earnings average only ¥1.81 million, less than half the average for all Japanese households.

Part of the reason for this situation is that wages for women in Japan are low overall. According to figures released by the National Tax Agency, in 2010 about 43% of all working women were earning ¥2 million or less annually. Nonregular employment, which has risen among both men and women, now accounts for almost 70% of the positions occupied by women. The fact is that poverty is a growing problem for Japanese women in general, not just single mothers.

Japan’s gender pay gap is among the widest in the industrial world, and when it comes to parents, the disparity is particularly pronounced. According to a 2012 report by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, the “price of motherhood” in Japan is exceptionally high, with working mothers earning some 60% less than working fathers on average.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

sonatinas posted:

I’ve seen bars have signs that said no fubu or timberlands. In NC , you can get hit up for membership crap for extra racism.

what are the chances if a white male walks in wearing timberlands boots that nobody cares?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

to a slight extent i suspect it is an overextension of whitehats in security that has made engineers incapable of getting that these things should be considered before built, the sort of mindset that everything that can be done will get done no matter what, so e.g. making a proof of concept public research would be the best outcome

which is a decent philosophical underpinning for a lot of computer security. not all even there though, arguably, like in my little home town where enterprising whitehats widely published how to fake the very cheap tickets for the municipal bus system, which caused largely the maximum possible harm (the system had to be reworked at great cost), and which i hold was unlikely to happen without them

a friend told me a few days ago that "everything that could be automated, should be" which i think explains a lot in this mentality. relatively well enough computer touchers who do not have a lot of experience with the really sharp edges of any existing system but do have a very simplistic first principles understanding of how the world works are very prone to being really loving optimistic about technology and not thinking nearly enough how the technology interacts with and affects the real world. sure their javascript piece of poo poo passes every unit test but a) there are no unit tests for real-world consequences b) nobody in software is being taught to estimate these things (imagine the shitstorm when "ethics in computer science" would be introduced to a curriculum) and c) the whole chain from VC to developer probably does not want anybody telling them that "uhh your poo poo is immoral and it should not exist".

i think the people who work at facebook would be a-ok with a world where you have a significant amount people totally downtrodden and abused by an algorithmic min-maxing capitalist system as long those people have an app which gamifies their life so they are "happy".

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

eschaton posted:

remember the fit Subjunctive threw in one of the predecessor threads when it was said Facebook was unethical for conducting experiments in emotional manipulation on random users without their knowledge or consent, and that a core part of it was that being Facebook meant there shouldn’t need to be any sort of IRB involved in experiments performed on human subjects?

I don't but I'm not surprised that employees of a giant company who are dependent on that company for salary have a difficulty in seeing how their company could do wrong. Especially since that company has access to billions of people's private lives and needs to make profit off this data. So to me it seems that the whole setup incentivizes the employees to rationalise what they do (that spiel about getting the world connected, or whatever) to the point of "drunk driving gets a lot of people to work on time, so it is impossible to say if it is bad or not".

hobbesmaster posted:

ethics in engineering is about not using bribes to bypass the fire code or laundering client money though

That's true, but including it in the curriculum would be a start. And also a guaranteed way to get nazi folks to go "cultural marxism is censoring our science".

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

President Beep posted:

i think ethics should just be taught as a part of any education, regardless of field of study

A good start would be to have a course on the history of whatever the field is, with a focus on how it is connected with the rest of the world, what have been the more obvious failures and successes, and most importantly how to know the point where it's better to let some other field take over.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There’s an iPhone app I’ve been using for a year or two called Medisafe. Thing has the option to alert specified people if you don’t take your pills. I don’t think anything like that is going to get huge until they convince an insurance company to incorporate it, or doctors.

My impression of the state of US healthcare is that basically anything that is not an initiative for single payer universal healthcare is going to be as useful as a band-aid on a gushing artery. But I guess in this case it is nice that VCs have chosen to solve a real problem.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

what stops you from just pressing the "yes I took the pills" button

does it work with a bluetooth pill dispenser or something

I suppose it only works with the fraction of forgetful people who really do know that they need their pills.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

President Beep posted:

hong kong cage rooms

m bison yes gif

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

eschaton posted:

him name Hopkin profit maximizer

ps. i'll find my economic growth, who took my growth

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

seems to be an awfully big jump to go from "people who like vegetarian cooking also like vegan cooking," "people who like running also like more running" and "people who watch fox news overwhelmingly agree with alex jones" to "youtube's algorithms have decided it can extract more money from you if it gets you to join isis" or w/e

based on my experience with listening to music on youtube, I think the algorithm works somewhat by checking out what you watch and also what you skip or stop watching entirely if it comes up

this works really well with smooth jazz or whatever genre music because it gives me similar things which I really like

however replace jazz music with conspiracy theories and I don't think putting together a playlist based on similarity gives you a good result - you won't find more truthful information by looking at every other similarly dodgy source, you'll just find the same stuff, presented similarly

probably a lot of this stuff works also because there's a lot of people who are either stuck or deliberately playing the same set of videos, so because "hey look people are watching these videos/sources together often" google's ai thing also gets the impression that there's some emergent structure there

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Just chiming in to say that the local pizza place in my neighborhood in Japan won best pizza one year in a pizza competition in Italy.

if it's in tokyo, I would love to know the place. thanks!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Nagoya. In Kamimaezu. I will see if I can pull up the name.

Thanks! No worries, I think I found it already.

It's Trattoria Cesari, right?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Yes, that name sounds familiar. That place is amazing. That entire mall is one of my favorite places in Nagoya. Osu Kannon.

If you are ever in Nagoya, I recommend stopping by. If you ever are on a trip down to Osaka from Tokyo, I recommend going to ramen alley in the Nagoya train station. It is jam packed with a bunch of amazing ramen shops.

Thanks for the recommends, will keep in mind when visiting. My favorite place in Nagoya is the Tokoname pottery town and ceramic catte exhibition on the path leading to it from the station.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

this one's a bit of a stretch

i agree, there's no ring to it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

i used to mod a pretty big aphex twin forum called joyrex (now watmm.com i think) in the 90s and i dont remember any racism there (& ive always been sensitive about it)

lots of chris morris chat tho

the dumbrella boards were cool as well

thank's, i like watmm

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i was at a startup event recently and a speaker was asked "what makes silicon valley special", to which they replied that the biggest difference was that there were so many smart old greybeards there who have seen and experienced a lot of things

i think it is sort of correct probably, the only catch is that all those smart old greybeards are only smart and experienced in this very small niche at the intersection of technology and US (upper) middle class life

which means that enterprising data mining & ai clowns end up being really good at understanding a back propagation algorithm, but really terrible at understanding that most of the world does not need that algorithm in a smartphone app for a water dispenser; they just need a water dispenser in the first place

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

would you say the correct way to pronounce GPS would be...

G-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw&t=17s
?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

in japan, some olds shoplift so they can go to jail/prison where they have guaranteed food and lodging

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shaggar posted:

theres no problem tho.

"works for me", says a well off white computer toucher from a 1st world country

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

infernal machines posted:

facebook can do anything the government doesn't say is illegal, also the government shouldn't say anything is illegal

eddie murphy dot gif

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

there was a UN study correlating the arab spring with food prices getting too high, so i wonder when is the time to get out my popcorn for when this happens in the us of a

this dollar store seems like a horrible place for food - i mean in tokyo most shops sell you potatoes in packs of 3 which is ridiculous but at least there are still places where you can get a week's worth of food affordably without feeling that you go through the same motions as a full blown restaurant

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

by the way i strongly recommend reading anand giridharadas' winners take all if you're looking for a good book in the vein of bad blood

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

fishmech posted:

food prices in the us are about the lowest they've ever been versus people's income. also the places where it is very high tend to not be places with a lot of people.

reminder: america is very fat because we're the country that's had cheap food for by far the longest.

nah i think what's cheap is lovely food which is kept exactly as affordable for the poorest people as the capital min-maxing allows before they start dying too soon or get starved enough to revolt

because reading this thread it seems that actually getting quality fresh ingredients is getting more and more difficult and expensive both in terms of the time you need to spend to get to the shop and the price you need to pay for it

but of course on the average it works out to be cheap overall yeah

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shaggar posted:

nah even quality produce is cheap as hell thanks to the incredibly efficiency of factory farming and GM crops (plus subsidies, ofc). in fact id bet prices are artificially higher on average due to organic/non-gmo labels

so why all the talk about food deserts or good quality ingredients being too expensive and only sold in "upscale" shops? why is access to all this quality produce getting more difficult?

i mean i can really believe that americans of all walks of life are actually dumb and lazy enough to just eat lovely food while only exerting their bodies when walking to their car and back, and what's really happening is that the middleman is min-maxing the prices

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

7-11's in japan do carry some really basic but overpriced food items like milk and a 4-pack of eggs (in addition to all kinds of ready-made fast food bento boxen), but if you are suggesting that someone live off only that, you're insane

food desert is a perfectly accurate term here - even in a real desert, there are still some animals who persist, but the food is really scarce

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

do like japanese train personnel and work out a is-the-door-locked confirmation procedure where you point at the keys, the door and then try if it's properly locked

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

mystes posted:

I think if people actually try to sell devices that do this it will kill smart speakers pretty quickly. Amazon and google may not care a lot about privacy but they probably at least realize that being this blatant would be bad for their image.

after all the discussions in this thread related to google/fb/amazon/whatever other bullshit startup, people itt still use all their products every day from google search up to and including internet connected door locks and alexas (to set timers in the kitchen)

why would you ever believe the general public will give a flying gently caress

the minimum that will happen is that everyone will just make up yet another excuse as to why they did not care that much about their privacy, or argue that since abacuses and intel cpus both use numbers, this really means you actually never had any

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

russia's economy is small because most of it is empty and operates on really small amounts of money - since the later days of the ussr a lot of action is actually in the bartering and contraband economy, which for obvious reasons does really not show up in any official stats

also as north korea illustrates, you really do not need a lot to keep up a functioning military apparatus, all the russians had to do was mostly to keep the soviet machinery running, and a lot of that stuff is really bullet proof and you have 40 year old tractors still in good repair and use because at some point the russian factories were KPIing produce by the ton, so to meet quotas they made everything from iron and steel

from the shop class in school i took away the following - russian machinery is robust, not so precise as western stuff but it absolutely will last a lifetime

whereas on the other hand probably a lot of the "value" contained in the larger "developed" economies is fluff like startup stock valuations which might as well be full of hot air

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

so some dude on reddit claims Microsoft is ditching Edge for Chromium because Google was pushing breaking features (made specifically to gently caress with edge) that only Chrome supported to their websites faster than they could support them

https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1074782772470910976

SEEMS FAMILIAR

but no you see splitting up google will have no effect, better things are not possible, won't you look instead in this well, actually

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i don't quite get what microsofts game plan is here, if they needed some toehold on the desktop sure, but with office already dominant it seems at least as bad for them as anyone to have another lotus notes fragment instead of an actual competitor

ftfy

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

a key difference there was that microsoft charged cash money for their distinctly not-open-source operating system though

the business model may be different, but monopolistic practices are the same

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

how long do you think it will take for end-user web browsers to stop shipping with debug consoles and the ability to easily see the source code?

i mean with most of the web siloed off to either google or fb or whatever, it is sort of starting to make sense for google to ship a standard js/webassembly library with chrome, then it will start to make sense to try to keep that code closed source by way of some drm, and then why even bother, just send the signed binaries and make the web an app store

sure you can run some open source firefox which will allow you to still have adblockers and tracking protection, but it will be always a shittier and clunkier alternative which tptb are actively trying to sabotage

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

looks like it would make a nice and cozy studio space for making arts and musics, but then it's probably too poo poo in terms of noise and thermal isolation and if you already have land to put it on and a house where you have a toilet & other necessities then why the hell do you even need this anymore

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i used to work in a 3-people-per-room-with-a-door.

in japan the typical office is just long desks and people stacked neatly next to each other, and absolutely astonishing amounts of stuff (boxes, miniature shelves, cute junk, you name it) littering around everywhere. almost nobody uses headphones but people do like to have loong talks somewhere in the background. if you are a really important boss you get something slightly resembling a cubicle. important bosses do spend 90% of their time in meetings too so they never actually use their space

the air conditioner is constantly just slightly too cold for me all year round but that's probably my lovely tolerance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i've this one too and as long as reshuffled happen such that you are all working on the same thing it is great for both comfort and productivity

doing the solo office these days though, and it is the safest bet

no such luck, everyone was on different teams and the other guys had visitors coming to talk constantly

this was still way way better than now