Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

MrYenko posted:

The what?

I think that's the vw platform.

https://electrek.co/2018/12/14/vw-electric-hatchback-spotted-testing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I saw a comment recently that VW's ID isn't coming to the U.S. - that can't be right, can it? I did a little digging and I actually can't find any definitive answer though, except for expected sales splits (e.g. 20% in the US) for some unspecified timeframe.

Perhaps it's just that its not coming in 2019 or 2020?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

drgitlin posted:

I haven’t heard anything of the sort and VW told me it was still on track for 2020 a few weeks ago.

Cool, thanks. Good to have it direct from them.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

drgitlin posted:

I haven’t heard anything of the sort and VW told me it was still on track for 2020 a few weeks ago.

So I've seen on another board that the ID ( I think they're calling the hatchback "ID 3") isn't coming to the US, but the cross over and the bus (Crozz/Microbus) are coming for sale in the US. Did VW actually say the hatchback was coming, or just that 'the platform' is coming? Not getting the hatch would be really disappointing. :\

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

So I've seen on another board that the ID ( I think they're calling the hatchback "ID 3") isn't coming to the US, but the cross over and the bus (Crozz/Microbus) are coming for sale in the US. Did VW actually say the hatchback was coming, or just that 'the platform' is coming? Not getting the hatch would be really disappointing. :\

quote:

The VW chief talked about other upcoming vehicles, revealing that they will sell the entire ID range in the United States, except for the Hatch, “because of the size and because hatchbacks are a relatively small segment in the U.S.”, and that’s “why we decided to offer it only in Europe and China”.

So, as I feared, no ID hatch in the US...

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

All 2019 Nissan LEAF Models Explained: https://youtu.be/wrhd3nXuIFQ

Understandable presentation on the leaf trim/range options.

Here's the estimates the salesman sent me (I have great credit)

This is super useful. Are you cross shopping at all (Bolt/ Model 3) ?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

dream9!bed!! posted:

New Leafs are down to $11.6k in my area, tempted to get another one after my 2017 has gone 50k miles with no bars lost and zero service visits. It's no Tesla, but hey, new car for under $12k that's cheap as poo poo to operate.

I too would also like to know where this is. Are these 40kwh 2018-2019 Leafs?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm getting rid of my mid range model 3 and replacing it with a long range awd performance, it's a stealth performance model 3 at $5k less. Inventory-only model.

Edit: In case anyone wants to know how it's optioned:

I'm thinking of getting a standard Model 3, so I'm curious if there is some reason you're upgrading from a practical perspective. Range too short? Just want to go faster?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I’d been looking to go electric for some time – 1.5 years in earnest – and thought I’d quickly post my process of getting ready/buying. TLDR: I got a Model 3, and am really liking it.

My previous car was a 2011 Golf 2.5, which did pretty well on gas, ~28-30Mpg, and was nice enough.
My needs:
• I currently have a 40 mile daily commute for work (20 miles each way).
• We take occasional trips to family 65 miles away, so 120 miles round trip.
• I also drive to bike trails, so more range (150 miles or more) and an easy hitch receiver install would be preferred.
• I’d also like the car to be a full ICE replacement for most anything.

Doing a bunch of research I found three sets of options that optimize for cost/benefit:
1. Buy a 2017 leaf, or older i3, or other ev compliance for my work commute, and keep my current Golf for other trips.
Pros/cons: Cheap! I can get a 30kwh 2017 leafs (the best value IMO in this option) in my area for $11-13K that would be fine for my commute and will probably be fine for most of my MTB rides, but if we get rid of the Golf we would have to accept we couldn’t do certain things at the same time (visit family – bike in the mountains)

2. Buy a used Bolt
Pros/Cons: Relatively cheap, and with an excellent range. This was a strong option, as in my area we were getting used 2017 Bolts in the $26K region, with low(ish) miles. They went down as low as $23K with higher miles but those were out of warranty. I drove a (new) Bolt at a local dealer, and noted two of the issues I had read about, the seats are bad, and the brakes were mushy, otherwise it seemed fine. I could have lived with both if the price were right. I should also note that the dealership, which was the highest rated Chevy dealer nearby, was not in great shape. The sales guy was nice enough, but didn’t know anything- the car was at a low state of charge, to the point where it limited power during the test drive – and the dealership looked like nothing had be updated since the 1990s. In terms of counterparty risk, I think I give equal odds to Chevy and Tesla going forward.

3. Buy a Model 3
Pros/Cons: Spendy. Didn’t really want to spend that much on a car. But did a test drive, and it really was very impressive in terms of the driving feel and comfort over the other options and my current car. I did a bunch of ‘what if I wanted to go here?’ experiments with ‘A Better RoutePlanner’ and pretty much everything I could think of wanting to go to are possible & quite easily with the supercharger network, that would be much harder with other options (like the Bolt).
I also didn’t see much of an advantage to the long-range versions of the model 3, as there’s only a small set of locations where their range is truly advantageous over a few minutes at a supercharger. Like even if you go from Seattle to San Francisco the difference is like 60 minutes. Like if your destination is 150 (rt) or 300 miles, the range is helpful, but otherwise not a huge advantage.

4. Other options. I didn’t really look to deeply at the other options(Kona, Niro) as for me they would be nearly as much or more than a Model 3, and not as good a fit. Also I would consider a newer Leaf (2018-19) if I could have gotten them down to like $22K, but alas Washington State’s tax break isn’t that good.

Upshot – I got the Standard Range Plus in Black (+$750 paint option, oof!) delivered yesterday, and am really enjoying it so far. It is easily the fastest, best handling & fun car I’ve ever owned. In the end, the ability to have a complete replacement for my Golf in terms of capabilities was the thing that sealed the deal. The ‘luxury’ of the TM3 was actually a disadvantage, as I would have absolutely picked a version without the glass roof or vegan leather for spending a few thousand less, but now that I have those, I enjoy them both.
Haven’t use the autopilot much – will need to gain confidence and understanding in it, but adaptive cruise control is gonna be super helpful I can already tell. I like the big screen, and don’t mind all the controls being on there too much. Though I wish the interior lights and the wipers did have buttons.
I preferred the Tesla delivery model, over others – though I’ve only bought two other cars new (Audi and VW). It took almost no time, and was super easy.

Charging:
So I have a house with a garage and driveway, so I have a good charging location at home. Unfortunately, the electrical panel in my house was on the opposite side of the house, with no way to route wires internally. As I knew I was going to buy an electric car, I was able to pre-plan this part and I was able to find a good electrician. We worked a way to run conduit out of the house at the panel, up the side of the house into the attic, across the house in the attic, down the side of the house, into the ground and through the concrete into the garage wall. This was expensive and time consuming, and I had to do a lot of research to make sure I was having the right stuff installed, as while the electrician I hired was good, he didn’t know much about the specifics of EVSEs. We ended up installing a NEMA 14-50 plug, and (and two additional 20 amp circuits, as the garage was under-powered anyway)
This, I think, will be the major blocker for most folks. Having to find a contractor, and get a thing done is pretty tough if possible at all.
Been charging at level 1 while I wait for the 14-50 adapter from Tesla. I also need to figure out what EVSE I’m going to get – yet another decision to make!

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Aino Minako posted:

Great post! Press the button on the left stalk to make the wipers wipe once, and it will also make the intermittent wiper UI appear on the screen. Then you can quickly turn on the wipers. It’s not perfect, but better than swiping or fiddling around for the big wiper button.

Ah! this is useful. I thought the button was only for squirting/cleaning the windshield.

Here's some pics too. Why not?
The car after the first drive

My current charging set up in my garage.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Edit: I sold my Model 3 RWD Mid-Range in order to get the M3P-, and it's insane how much faster it is! Track mode is really neat, too.

So I've noticed that this is pretty common, selling a standard/mid/long range to get a M3P. I've only had my standard range TM3 a few days but, like, it's really fast. Granted, I've only driven normal cars my whole life, but with the roll-on acceleration merging on an on-ramp, I could easily see myself going over a tiny rise and flying over a barrier, never to be found. Perhaps I'm just a wuss? Cause I can't imagine a car pulling twice as hard, except like on a track.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

My wife and I are still debating what car to get hampered a bit by availability in our state and she's leaning towards a used 2016 eGolf for around 17k, while I'm thinking a new 2019 Bolt or eGolf for the tax credit and better specs.

Can anyone speak to the Bolt? I read a review site that complained about the seats but I wasn't sure how seriously to take that. I'd also be curious about which trim options seem worthwhile, I usually end up wanting the highest most expensive package because if I'm buying new, I feel like I should invest in the best, but the Bolt has more options than other cars I've looked at.

And I guess a bigger question, in the next 3 to 5 years, do EVs seem like they will continue to increase in range and features? Would getting the used eGolf now with its 80 mile range make sense if in 3 to 5 years a used EV for a similar price will have 200 mile range and DC charging will be more robust?

I know it's kind of unanswerable, but I know a lot of you guys are more in the know about what technologies might be coming down the line. I'm just torn between getting a new 2019 if there's some huge change for EVs around the corner and getting the older used one with the idea I could trade up in a few years.

I test drove a bolt (2019) a few weeks ago, and did notice the seat issue. I mean I think I could live with it if I got a good deal, but it was tough for me to justify if I was buying new.

I think you're right to be thinking about obsolescence in evs. One of the things that was holding me back from getting a eGolf or a 2017 leaf is that the resale will continue to plummet (I think) for evs at sub 200 mile range or so. The cars are still cool, but are def a niche use case, but as you get closer to 200 mile range, I think they become a full ice replacement and thus I think they retain more value.

I don't think there will be a huge change in technology in the next 3-5 years, I think there will be more options, and the average range will go up and price per kwh will slowly decrease.

There are a lot of 2017 Bolts coming off lease now, you might consider them as a new one might not justify the new premium.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Ripoff posted:

I rented a Model 3 via Turo today for shits n giggles. With my “Certified Manlet” stature at 5’8”, I actually found that the dash vents blew over my head, which leads me to believe that it was a car designed with people 6 feet tall in mind.

Pretty great car, and holy hell the 315-mile long-range variant is amazing compared to the i3 and Volt in our family. It’s surreal to drive 140 miles and not need to charge.

Did you adjust them all the way down? I'm 5'10" and pretty sure they can go lower than me. They adjust electronically.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I don't fully understand these analyses, as they don't seem to be 'all in' measures of CO2 or other greenhouse gases, they only look at the last production prior to use in the car, but it be great to understand the full scope. For example it seems that refining and transporting a gallon of gas takes more electricity (8kwh) than that gallon would transport many vehicles vs. how many miles that electricity alone would produce in an EV. Assuming the power is generated similarly in both cases, it would seem there is a clear case?

https://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/14/how-gas-cars-use-more-electricity-to-go-100-miles-than-evs-do/

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

moosemanmoo posted:

I put down a (refundable) deposit for one back in April and got to see a "final production" model at one of their promo events in July. The fit and finish is nicer than the premium Model 3 interior— for example, vegan soft-touch sportswear-like material covers the dashboard rather than hard-rear end plastic. Ventilated seats are available with the tan leather option. Adaptive headlights are standard.

For me, the trade off in price and performance compared to a similarly Model 3 Performance is a no-brainer: shaving 1 second from my 0-60 time isn’t going to help me in Seattle traffic, and I’ll appreciate having a real hatch, instrument cluster, and CarPlay/Android Auto support every day.

Would love to hear more when you get yours. Also in seattle and got a model 3 as I didn't want to wait for this or the VW ID to get here.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So I got my model 3 SR+ almost 2 months ago, and have about 2300 miles on it now, so I thought I’d post.

The Good:
This is my first electric, and it has been a very easy transition. I have a 40 mile daily commute, and the range has been fine. We have one space where we can park and charge, and my partner usually parks there to ease getting kids in to her car. To charge I have to swap out the cars, which hasn’t been too big of an issue. Been charging 2-3 times a week to ~85 % with the supplied travel charger, and that has been super easy. 50KWh has been enough for everything, and I think the bigger battery wouldn’t be worth it for me - though were just starting winter.

The app. I’m already spoiled with the capabilities. Some are more important as I have to me a bit more cognizant of the state of charge, but overall the ability to just have a phone as a key makes the key fob on my Mazda 5 seem super primitive.

My kids like it. Fart mode, panoramic roof, games, etc.

Though not a huge priority for me, I do enjoy the driving dynamics and acceleration.

Haven’t had the v10 update long, but if it allows Spotify with a wifi access point, that’s a big win for me.

The neutral:
Road noise is about the same as my old 2011 Golf, though it doesn’t have nearly as many odd squeaks and rattles. Haven’t had any odd wind noise issues that have been reported.

The center console does get fingerprinty, but I’m not bothered.

I didn’t plan on using Autopilot much, and I don’t. What has been handy is using it when I need to adjust something in the cabin/music. Still does some things I wouldn’t, so I don’t use it except on certain highways.

My wife is scared to drive it. Too much of a step change in driving experience, which I can understand.

Putting on a bike hitch will be a pain. I got a quote on installing a hitch and it was $550 just for installation. I’ll likely be doing it myself.

The bad:
One curb check while parking will scrape the paint off the wheels. Not a huge deal for me, but annoying. Also I’m having a hard time estimating the width of the car when I parallel park, also annoying.

I wish there was an ‘eco mode’ for the climate control. It seems a bit too agressive when using AC, when I’d be fine just using the outside air. Also if they had a mode where I could just provide climate for the driver to save energy would be great.

It seems that the SR+ doesn’t get all the autopilot features (ex FSD), which I didn’t quite understand when I got the car, though I had done a lot of research and specifically test drove a SR+. I guess some features (like auto lane change, and auto park) are only on higher/previous models. I actually don’t care that much about not having the features, but the confusion was annoying.

Rear visibility is bad. The passenger side mirror is too convex for my eyes.

Might have an issue with a window sensor, which means I currently have to hold the switch up to close it.

Overall: Still very happy with the car. I actually preferred the tesla delivery experience to the dealer, though I’ll need to evaluate how they handle the window sensor issue.

Question for the other Model 3 owners. How do you wash your car? I’m extremely lazy about this, and would like to take this to my local touchy Brown Bear car wash, but the manual says not to so I’m not sure what to do. The other model 3 forums have split opinion, from ‘do whatever’ to ‘use only artisanal diapers’.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

I have to say the mach e looks pretty good. Like it's the first Ford I'd consider purchasing in decades.

Some nice considerations that improve on the model 3, decent battery, nice interior. And it immediately struck me that there are no Ford logos. I hate to admit it but that lack of the logo improved my subconscious appraisal of the car quite a lot. I think they're gonna sell a lot of they can roll it out without too many issues.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Wow. Cybertruck. What did I just watch? Like it's gonna be cheap, but still, I don't think it's gonna appeal to middle america. But what do I know, I could still see it being popular.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

pun pundit posted:

Also, as electric vehicle market share inreases, electricity required to refine gasoline decreases. If the 8 kWh figure for one gallon (drilling, transporting, and refining) holds, electricity use will go down as people swap to electric cars. It'll move from centralised to distributed use, though, so the grid could probably do with some changes.

Is there a good source on this? I'd like to understand the efficiency of refining.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

pun pundit posted:

I did some research, but it's really hard to collate the data. The 8kWh/gallon value seems to be an "accepted industry average" but the work to put it together is beyond a hobbyist statistician.

Yeah, I did research a while ago, and just did some now, and it seems this exact number is pretty low-confidence. Not that it isn't true, or even higher, but that there's limited data released by the refineries, and I guess DOE doesn't do this anymore? Before I had heard 90% efficiency, but it seems like the DOE number is ~80%, which seems more realistic. Honestly though, I feel like the emission numbers seem much more 'all -in' for ev's and their batteries and their charging power than ICE cars, which seem to have gaps all sorts of 'transport, refining, and sourcing' metrics which would seem to potentially hide many inefficiencies.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

wolrah posted:

Is it safe? Probably not.

Doesn't change the fact that a lot of us do it pretty regularly. I live roughly 400 miles from my closest family in any direction. 6-8 hour non-stop road trips are just a part of the holidays, and they generally start after work so spending another half hour refueling pushes my arrival further in to the AM, which is bad in many of its own ways.

That said, assuming 332 Wh/mi is reasonable for 85 MPH highway speeds, ABRP thinks that with an LR 3 I'd only spend a half hour charging on my Christmas trip to my parents' place so things are a lot better than the last time I looked in to this.

322 seems reasonable in terms of energy. And abrp has been very accurate for me to date provided I was honest with the inputs. If you put in like 125% reference speed and like 85 mph top speed it should give accurate numbers.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I'm glad they're keeping these around, it's such a great idea, especially when the infrastructure is already built. I have fond memories of riding the electric buses through the bus tunnels as a kid.

My dad designed most of the substations that convert the 23kV grid to, uhhhh, like 1.4kV? For the busses, it's an awesome system.

The area's converting a lot of ferries to "hybrid" soon too, so they'll charge every time they dock, then do part if their route on battery power.

I'm all for this, when I was growing up in Seattle the air was always clear, and there were never any major fires in the Western part of the State, in fact it was part of my home state's mythos that the Japanese tried to ignite our forests with incendiary balloons, but failed because they were too damp. I recently returned to WA after a decade on the East Coast, and the change in air quality is dramatic, there's a ton more visible haze from pollutants, and wildfires are a regular occurrence, it's a painful and visceral indication of climate change for me.

Speaking of, my old Ranger is guzzling gas, and I think the motor is about shot, in any case I'm not keen on it being my DD anymore, and I'm pretty sold on my new daily driver being an EV. Right now I'm looking at a CPO Nissan Leaf, 2016 or 2017, with the 30kW battery and 6.6kW charger, my commute to work is 46 miles round trip, but mostly highway which is outside the Leaf's efficient regime, basically I should be able to get to work and back, run errands, charge a little, and visit my GF who lives 50 miles round trip in the other direction, all without any fear of range anxiety. I think I can even make it up to the local ski slopes that are ~130ish miles away if I plan ChaDeMo charging appropriately. The Leafs I'm looking at are about $14k-16k, they come with a 7yr/100,000mi warranty from Nissan, is there any reason anyone can see that I shouldn't pull the trigger on one of these, or that I should go with another EV besides the 2016-2017 Leaf?

I'm flirting with the idea of living a carbon-neutral lifestyle, I think with an EV that charges off a 90% carbon-free grid, growing a significant portion of my own food, and heating my house with wood that grows on my 3 acres by sustainably harvesting Alder, and planting big Firs in their place, I can get pretty close, when you consider all the variables inherent in where base load power production ends up and the inherent burden of being a consumer and whatnot.

Your situation was very similar to mine, and I was strongly considering 3 options based on max value per $:
1. 30kWh leaf (exactly like you)
2. Used 2017 -18 Bolt
3. Model 3 SR+

In my situation, I have a charger at home, but with the situation as it is, I probably wouldn't be able to charge every night. If that might ever be an issue, you might consider a longer ranged option. Also 40 miles is probably on the edge of what you can charge daily with a level 1 charger, so I would say you need level 2. I ended up driving the bolt and the model 3. Both were nice. What really helped me though, was doing lots of what if's on A Better Route Planner at different temperatures/destinations to really get a good feel of the range reality. In the end I went with the Model 3 SR+, but could have easily gone with the leaf if I wanted to keep my outlay lower. You also might try a used Bolt - in the Seattle area, (where I was looking) you could find Bolts ~$20-23K.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Elviscat posted:

New charger display.

Nice, cool that you were able to use the CHAdeMO plugs for a while. I didn't think there were that many, but seem to be quite a few in the Seattle area on Plugshare.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Looks like you can get a tax credit for home charger cost, retroactively:

quote:

Due to an amendment made to the year-end spending bill, taxpayers will once again qualify for a 30% rebate (up to $1,000) on costs associated with the installation of an EV charging station, a 10% credit (up to $2,500) on 2- or 3-wheeled electric vehicles such as electric motorcycles, and a $4,000 credit for the purchase of a new fuel-cell vehicle.

These credits previously expired at the end of 2017, but will now be available through the end of 2020. The credits are available retroactively. Presumably, this means that taxpayers can and should file amended returns for previous years

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

So what this means is I can get a credit for the charger box and for the installation up to $1000? Does it matter if the installation was a lot more expensive because the electricians put in a new breaker panel?
I'm not sure exactly what it means. I saw it here: https://electrek.co/2019/12/18/us-extends-tax-credits-for-ev-chargers-motorcycles-fuel-cells-again-retroactively/

I clicked the link to the legislation, and unfortunately it's one of those things that just says something like "replace 2017 with 2020 on the previous document" so for both your question, and what exactly defines an "electric motorcycle/vehicle" you'll have to look at the previous bill. I'm sure someone will report on it soon.

I'd like to assume that

quote:

Due to an amendment made to the year-end spending bill, taxpayers will once again qualify for a 30% rebate (up to $1,000) on costs associated with the installation of an EV charging station, a 10% credit (up to $2,500) on 2- or 3-wheeled electric vehicles such as electric motorcycles, and a $4,000 credit for the purchase of a new fuel-cell vehicle.

means that if I spent like $2300 on running an electrical line to my garage for a 14-50 for my car I'd get a tax credit of $690. But I'm not sure.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So, in reading the previous law : https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=(title:26%20section:30C%20edition:prelim)

It looks like you can use this for not just electrical 'fuel' infrastructure, but for LNG and other CH3, bio-diesel and blends, and kerosene(?). I guess that's because it's the difference between 'Alternative Fuel" and "Clean Fuel". Or maybe it all the same to the USG.

As for the definition of what is covered, it seems the key term is this "Qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property"

Which has a long definition (of course) but the key part is this:

quote:

(B) for the recharging of motor vehicles propelled by

electricity, but only if the property is located at the point

where the motor vehicles are recharged.

and

quote:

(B) for the recharging of motor vehicles propelled by

electricity, but only if the property is located at the point

where the motor vehicles are recharged.

from here: http://www.givnerkaye.com/internal-revenue-code-section-179a/

So, I am not a tax lawyer, but it would seem that additonal wire conduit and panels would seem to be covered.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

This is one of the things giving me heartburn about buying a new EV - we're trading electronic complexity for mechanical complexity. Side mirrors and fenders are already expensive enough to replace without adding in the electronics. I might save a shitload of money on oil changes but how much of a pain in the arse are those cameras going to be after ten years of water infiltration?

otoh it seems to be a thing on all cars not just EVs, so I should probably just accept the fact I'm going to get screwed one way or the other.

Also, that is really ugly.

Yeah, this Lexus implementation seems particularly bad, you still have the mirror stalk, which I assume has motors to move in and out, plus the lights, still has a pretty significant aerodynamic impact, and can still get broken off. The honda implementation, or maybe a multiple camera merged image would seem to have fewer failure modes.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So, in going with the thread title, with one of the latest releases of the Tesla app, there is an 'Upgrades' button, and you can download the *performance dlc* for your car. I haven't bought the FSD, but I have to say I'm a little tempted with the most recent visualizations.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Drowning In Terror posted:

They didn't say average. They literally said "right now", as in what Tesla is currently capable of delivering.

Regarding the 100k estimate: Tesla deliveries have been increasing each year and Q4 is often the strongest quarter, Q2 was 95k and Q3 was 97k, analysts seem to be guessing 105K+ for Q4. I think they had a bad October though so who knows.

Looks like they hit 112,000. Not sure on production vs sales ratio in the quarter tho.

Also check out this new Segway:
https://electrek.co/2020/01/03/segway-unveils-24-mph-s-pod-hoverchair/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Trip Report:

Decided to torture test the Leaf in the worst travel regime possible yesterday, 160 miles, over a mountain pass with temps below 30F, and from sea-level to over 4,000', about 4" of snow in the road by the time I got there.

Worked out pretty well, had to HVDC quick charge twice due to conditions but I made the journey in decent time and comfort.

Also: gently caress Electrify America and their cash-grabby pricing model.

This is pretty cool, I assume this was Snoqualmie, and checked and was surprised that the Chademo coverage is actually pretty good along I-90 there. Lack of Chademo along route 2/Steven Pass was one of the reasons I didn't choose the Leaf.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Looks pretty nice. I'm still bitter were not getting the ID3 in the us tho.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Yeah that's kind of par for the course for CUVs so i have a hard time faulting Tesla when the whole concept of a CUV with 3rd row seating is bad to begin with.

Yeah, I have a Mazda5, and with the middle row seats set all the way back, that's about what it looks like. If you move them forward, you can get a workable amount of space for the back row. I can't tell fully from the Model Y photos, but it looks like the second row is pretty far back, so likely some space to spare. It's always going to be a trade off though. People here seem to be highly discounting the advantage of getting 3-4 kids carseats in a car though, it's a pretty big deal for us. Most cars have trouble getting any more than 2 car seats, very few can fit 3 abreast, in our Mazda, getting 1 or 2 seats in the third row, even for short trips is very handy, Also the 3 row list of cars is super limited without going minivan or giant SUV.

The problem will likely be that fact that's is a bench, in the second row. You'll need to re-install seats in the second row to access the 3 row seats, due to the need to use the seatbelts to attach the seats.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Ola posted:

Tried all electric snowmobile today. Really cool!

40 km range according to the people. Didn't feel heavy and it was very easy to be precise with the throttle. Gas powered ones I've tried felt quite jerky, you need to give quite a bit of gas before the variator kicks in. One of the guys there said he had never got stuck with an electric one and that it had much better traction in loose conditions.

How loud is it in comparison to others?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

lol I r dumb, anyway it cost me $390.

Not super cheap but I didn’t feel too horribly gouged. I probably could have done it myself but it’s nice to have a pro confirm you’re not gonna burn down your house. I only feel overcharged by like $100. But poo poo I got one hour service so I don’t feel bad about that.

Don't forget, if you had that installed last year, you can get a 30% tax credit for it. If not I wouldn't be surprised if they do it again for TY2020. Takes the sting out of the cost.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

New electric 500. 42kWh, 200m range, 0-62 in 9s and the launch edition is €38k lol

Why would someone get this over an ID3 or a model3sr+?

Will they have low lease terms?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I think in the long term the companies that delayed their EV programs (like Toyota) will be proven right, but we'll see.

I'm curious about your logic here.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

It remains to be seen if major investment in EVs is a good thing, since the EV market is mostly driven by subsidies or government (dis)incentives and makers are selling the cars at a loss to avoid penalties. Toyota already has low fleet CO2 emissions because of all their hybrids, so they've been able to wait it out and not invest billions on cars that aren't profitable. They're just now entering into a partnership with LG to make EV batteries, and I think in time that will prove to be the correct choice. CO2 targets may also get rolled back if something like another global recession occurs, which would also mean potentially wasted money on R&D.

I'm no expert, but it seems like Toyota's fleet emissions are at best in the middle of the pack?

https://www.epa.gov/automotive-trends/highlights-automotive-trends-report

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

It's kind of crazy how well you can do if you're trained in UE building and game design now.

The digital backdrop sets* for The Mandalorian all rely on Unreal poo poo. So there's a guy with Surface Pro or something on stage making alterations and scanning through the shot list with the DP. If something's off, they can just resize, recolor or add something on the fly.

(Giant wall-screens, basically. They're great because they give actors a frame of reference better than "green field with basic geometry" and give the camera guys indirect/environmental lighting)

Just watched the this and this is pretty neat! The mind kinda boggles at the possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnxzVOs3rk

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Popero posted:

EV wagon crew. I'm excited for the VW, nervous about how brutal their ID3 issues have been, and am getting impatient generally. The XC40 Recharge isn't the car of my dreams, but it's close.

I want one too. Or even an electric minivan, or an electric Mazda 5/MPV.

Some content - I added an aftermarket hitch to my Model 3, and it was pretty difficult. The shop had quoted me $500 for the install, and I was like 'F that'. But in retrospect, if it was $300, that would have been worth it. It would have been easier with another pair of hands, but pulling the lamp modules out and putting the bumper cover or whatever that thing is called back on was a pain.

On the plus side, I had a 2019 model with the hitch access panel, so I didn't have the cut away the undercarrige cover.

The bike on the back doesn't effect the efficiency too much, I only really could tell the difference if I was at ~70MPH+. The parking proximity system does light up due to the bike or the hitch being back there, and gives the highest alert beep when backing up, but otherwise autopilot and other stuff seems unaffected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a weird question. I asked in the A/T Car Buying thread about this and more or less got told owning a Tesla is the stupidest decision ever.

I am 100% window shopping. I have a Volt that's serving my needs perfectly so I am more than likely not actually buying anything. But given these three choices, which would you hypothetically buy? Assume commute is not a concern (less than 20mi round) and the only long distance will be road tripping ~100-150mi away with plenty of charging options.

2020 Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus (250mi range) for $39k
2019 Tesla Model 3 Mid Range RWD (264mi range)(12k mi) for $38k
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD (325mi range)(14k mi) for $39k

Again, this is not a purchase I am actually going to make. I'm just curious what someone with a budget of ~$40k for an EV would pick.

I gravitated towards Tesla solely for the supercharger network. Messing around on A Better Route Planner showed that a Model 3 Mid Range going on a few lengthy vacations I had planned for next summer would be extremely easy, and I doubt the SR Plus would be significantly worse.

I kinda had this same decision last year, I went with the new SR+. I did the same with abrp and couldn't really find a value case for the mid or long range for me. But, I live in a temperate zone, and any long trips would be mostly on a highway with superchargers. If that's the case the difference in time is almost a wash between the models. Tho, if your main trip will be 150 miles each way the lr might be able to do it without a charge stop. If I lived in a cold climate, I'd prob get a longer range version tho.

Another thing to keep in mind is the updates over time for the model 3. There's a spreadsheet on the Tesla forums that lists all the small (and big) changes for the car over the production run. A big one will be the computer version-hw3 is a big deal, and those earlier models might not have it. Also the SR+ doesn't have the premium interior.