Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Helith posted:

How badly will this hit the Miami area?
I'm thinking of the rescue/recovery work at that collapsed apartment block.

If those predictions hold true, it hits Cuba and south Florida as category 1 hurricane or tropical storm. Mostly minor damage from downed tree limbs, local power outages from lines being damaged, some storm surge, and minor local flooding. Basically a bad thunderstorm, nothing catastrophic.

The corpses pulled from the rubble will be just as dead as they were before any hurricane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Platystemon posted:

That’s really hot, but it’s not as exceptional as what happened in Washington and Oregon.

Fresno hit one hundred and twelve last August.

Yeah, this is normal central valley temps. We already hit 109 in Sacramento this year. The yearly high temps going back 100 years are almost all in the 102-108 range. 108-114 is at the upper end of the historical highs for that region. It's really hot, but not unexpected.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Crazypoops posted:

okay, so whats the diff then between power lines and lightning, cause supposedly you're safe in your car from lightning (I don't know for sure I'm not a lightningologist) but not power lines, so is it cause lines can get tangled in your poo poo? or it's so strong it can arc like right through the vehicle straight to you? or like it'll arc at your car and gently caress it up then you're stuck on powerlines?

*You* personally might be safe from a lightning strike in a car. The car might be hosed or catch on fire. That lightning strike is instant, with no real residual current or electrical danger. Unless you're in a Tesla, you can just get out of your dead and burning car.

Driving over downed lines means your car might be arcing and welding its own metal all over, and potentially frying itself and catching fire. While you're over live electrical lines. Now you have to worry about being on fire and electrocuted because you're stuck in a dead, burning car, with a hot chassis.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

ELTON JOHN posted:

where is the house that was on the market for $980,000

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1047-Amaris-Blvd-Grand-Isle-LA-70358/2091051938_zpid/
https://goo.gl/maps/4kbwGHBUa2zAnDiPA

I've been trying to spot it on the grand isle flyover videos, but i haven't been able to get a look at that end of the island.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Louisiana coast square in the cone and on the east side eh

Yikes :(

A tropical storm on the gulf coast is a windy afternoon thunderstorm in terms of damage and rain.

These storms are getting a lot of power off the line, and I don't remember the gulf making so many storms. Not sure if that's my memory, and that I only payed attention to storms that could hit FL, or if this is happening a lot more recently. Would be nuts if the gulf starting being able to spin up cat 2-3 hurricanes that make landfall within 3 days of being noticed for having potential.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Pryor on Fire posted:

People have been filling their bathtubs before power outages since way before I was a kid. If you have multiple animals it's really not that much water. When the power will be out for a week or two get some of these as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Aqua-Tainer-Gallon-Container/dp/B07S6JXCYJ/

just steal some 5 gal water jugs from work

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Meandering streets like that slow down cars

dumbass

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Zarin posted:

:3:

Realtalk, though, how would it rain fish in the first place? And by that, I mean, how did they get into the sky? I'm guessing a waterspout? Or are there updrafts that don't do the spinny thing that would be powerful enough to raise fish to the heavens? (Thinking something kinda like a Reverse Microburst, I guess)

I'm having a vision of a thunderclap startling a school of Asian Carp, them leaping up out of the water and then the updraft just carrying them off into the sky :allears:

Yep, it's from a waterspout/tornado picking up some water from a shallow area of water, and dumping that water and the stuff it contains somewhere else. Raining fish is one of those really rare phenomenons that's been happening forever, but it's usually been relegated to weird trivia or local folklore. I remember reading accounts of it in those little books of strange tales for kids. Soandso town had frogs rain from the sky in 1840, stuff like that. It can also happen with dirt or clay to tint the rain red or orange, depending on the local soil colors.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

OK new plan, Texans need to write China a letter begging them to help fix their power grid ala Vulcan, West Virginia:

I'm going to write to president xi on behalf of california to help us complete our high speed rail

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Get some behind-the-counter Sudafed, preferably the 12h stuff. The "PE" stuff is poo poo and doesn't work.

My migraine/sinus headache "cocktail" are two tablets of Excedrin chased with two 30mg "pre-nerf" Sudafed. I don't advise you take it any time before you intend on sleeping.

My personal anti-allergy mix was Bronkaid and zyrtec. Ephedrine feels a lot better for me than pseudoephedrine. More like the mucus become too thin and watery to cause congestion, instead of drying out and getting uncomfortable.

jetz0r has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Feb 18, 2022

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

when visibility is decreased or the driving surface is degraded, it is very important to SPEED UP

this reduces the time spent driving under hazardous conditions, meaning that you will arrive safely at your destination sooner

same for when you start getting sleepy while driving, go faster so you can get to your destination before falling asleep.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

TACD posted:

this is why it's important to speed up in low visibility, you want to get out of there before a pileup happens and you're stuck on the road for 8 hours like a loser

The tow truck at 60s made it through because they were going fast enough!

The safest places for you to be in that situation are:
#1. Away from the pile up
#2. In your vehicle

The least safe place is the transition from #2 to the #1.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

some fancy beachfront homes are on fire in laguna beach

https://twitter.com/FOXLA/status/1524553085351186433
https://twitter.com/CBSLA/status/1524548292515930113
https://twitter.com/SamSagnella/status/1524589918370123776
https://twitter.com/stuartpalley/status/1524561975434301442

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

El Laucha posted:

tarps got you covered

huh, so in the right conditions this could turn a car into a boat?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Isn't that a little early for this?

hurricane season starts on the 1st of june, hurricanes aren't allowed to form before then

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

SirPablo posted:

Wow one intersection got flooded - is it the same one that floods every time it rains now?

miami beach floods during high tides, it's almost not fair posting vids of it flooding from rains

post miami beach flooding anyways

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Demon Of The Fall posted:

holy gently caress is anything being done about any of this poo poo?? ahahahahahahaha FUUUUUUCKKKKK

yeah, we're gonna start more wars to get more fossil fuels

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

net work error posted:

A tropical storm just came up out of nowhere off the coast of North Carolina? Did nobody notice until now or something?
https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1543163805168984066
https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1543209096794591232

It barely slipped in enough rotation to become a lovely TS instead of a thunderstorm?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Hexigrammus posted:

Cool - the Yukon is turning into California. It's a race to see how much of the territory will be burned down by lightning strikes during a heat wave before the floods and mudslides put out the fires. At least they haven't had a metre's worth of rain dumped on them like part of Australia.

Alaska is also on fire

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Aino Minako posted:

this is going to wind up just like COVID. now it’s a 32 degree day and they want people to stay home to be safe. eventually 3 months of the year will 32+ degrees, thousands will die from heat related illness, and it’ll be “stiff upper lip, see you at the shop.”

covid was a practice run for climate change

so yeah, that all sounds about right.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/eha_news/status/1553000299161260032

Guess Lake Mead is gonna fill up just fine now. Whew, we were worrying about that for no good reason after all

https://twitter.com/FOX5Vegas/status/1553021861520232448

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

SirPablo posted:

That's also bullshit because it is clearly in the morning before any convection gets going. Here is how it looks now - lot more clouds (and smoke).

a large plume of wildfire smoke really does help take the edge off those hot cloudless days

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

SirPablo posted:

What's the probability of 5 events happening, each with a probability of 0.1% of happening within a year, when the events cover 100-1000 square miles in a country of 3.7M square miles?

100%

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

What's the probability of my floor fan dying due to engineered obsolescence AND my accidentally knocking apart the flimsy dollar store USB fan I found in a drawer like it was the Holy Grail, in the same day? The blades lit up with LEDs saying "LOOK, I'M ALL FANCY". LEDs died within 10 minutes and I barely touched it to break it. Now i'm having heat stroke and thinking how much energy was put into producing untold millions of these things.

again, 100%.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

agreed. if something happens the probability was 100% and any previous guesses are modeling crises.

exactly, once the probability tree has collapsed, there is nothing else that could have happened. if you thought something else might happen, you were wrong.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

what's the probability of anyone being around to hear the probability tree collapse
probability tree burned in a wildfire, then got washed away in a flash flood.
https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1555014219891965952

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Hexigrammus posted:

Copper wires stop working at 50oC? wtf? Is that because they sag so much they touch the ground and short out? Or is someone trying come come up with excuses for a marginal power system? Did Bagdad Bob escape the noose to get a job with the Iranian power service? What am I missing here?

Heat is the enemy of electrical and mechanic systems. The resistance of copper increases with temperature, reducing efficiency at the same time demand is probably peaking. And circuit breakers function via heating resistance, so they trip with less power running through them when the environment is hot. It doesn't stop working, but it all works worse. Which given that it's a translation, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Stereotype posted:

instead of flying in a space ship to mars let’s just turn the earth into mars. much easier and more profitable.

sorry, can't do mars, how about venus instead?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, but then you're pretty likely to drill too deep and suddenly you're city is over run underground beings of unknowable horror or some such, also unless you dig the hole deep enough so the ground temp will evaporate the water away, that holes just gonna keep filling up with water. Then when it's done you'll just have to dig another hole.
we already drilled too deep and unleashed unimaginable horrors. then we made a pact with them to get short term power, at the cost of our very existence.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

finally! welcome home Danielle, the first category 8 hurricane.

anything less with be a modeling crisis.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

blatman posted:

iirc compost piles can catch fire even during normal summer heat for whatever reason so don't park the pile near anything flammable

wet hay can spontaneously combust for roughly the same reason. microbes generating heat that gets trapped inside a big flammable insulator.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

SirPablo posted:

Ah poo poo moved again.

post one of it destroying tampa, the hurricane proof city

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

I thought it was jacksonville that continues to spite god by existing

Tampa area hasn't had a hit by a cat 3+ since 1921.

Jacksonville has fared even better, lol.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

are they protected from liability from the fires cause they seem expensive

no, if pg&e lose a multi-year court battle, they may have to pay out after murdering a town full of people. the actual people who made the decisions are immune to any prosecution

pg&e then gets to raise rate to pay for any settlements from burning down towns. and any executives involved has long fled with their bonuses

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

smoobles posted:

I feel awful for the poor sucker who has to go inside each tornado and measure it's windspeed

according to the documentary twister, they just drive a truck into the tornado.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

epcot finally gets an exciting ride

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Big fan of light green

my heart yearns for grey square
cat 3 right in tampa bay's mouth

jetz0r has issued a correction as of 23:56 on Sep 22, 2022

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Space Jam posted:

that’s what hurricane charley was supposed to do until it turned on a dime and hit punta gorda instead

that's the tampa protection spell in action

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

u could evacuate tampa and be safe, BUT! you could stay in tampa, itd be like having a fun adventure :)

Tampa doesn't get hit by hurricanes, so it's safe to stay.

Everytime this happens the storm bounces off the hurricane protection bubble and wrecks the panhandle or Louisiana.

Also, for everyone new to Tampa landmarks, MacDill AFB is on the bottom of that little dangly bit inside Tampa Bay. You can see the runway on some of the storm surge maps as a bit of high ground surrounded by 9+ ft of storm surge water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Thanks for course correcting, but I'll just make this official:

don't root for death and destruction in this thread. I mean, gently caress, probably in this forum in general. I dunno maybe there's some wild poo poo going on in the data science thread that justifies some blood lust.