Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
SE needs to hurry up and announce the next game from the Octopath team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Inzombiac posted:

LEGEND OF LEGAIA HD REMAKE WHEN

I liked that game (up to a point) and... no. Just no. I'd rather see a (proper) Wild Arms 1 HD remake if we're asking for PS1 RPGs to get remade.

Nephzinho posted:

Look at this guy with his correct opinions.

unless we are counting x series

The proper starting boss is Chill Penguin. Anyone who disagrees is factually wrong. :colbert:

Mister Facetious posted:

And that's why I don't own XBC2.

I own it, no regrets. Still need to play Torna at some point too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Everyone has their tastes.

I like RTSes, but I'm absolutely awful at them.

...I wonder if there's thread material there: Games you like, but suck at.

Yes, there are multiple Dwarf Fortress threads.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ragequit posted:

Lmao I just got Runelord in Octopath Traveler. That is some busted poo poo. For the price of 1 standard attack, I can knock down two weaknesses toward a break and do an extra 10,000 damage. I also have a 50% chance of doing it twice with the second serving passive!

Unlocking it was a fun fight at level 48.

Guess I better go and get the other elite sub classes now.

I'll need more job system games when I beat it. Bravely Default Third when?

If you're only doing 9999 with the Runelord's chaser then you need to equip the damage cap passive from warrior because with good gear your chaser hits for tens of thousands of damage. :eng101:

Licarn posted:

Okay but what's the ranking out of avocados, anime and pumpkin spice

Pretty sure there's an anime about this.

Policenaut posted:

Pumpkin pie rules.

It's not as good as Dutch Apple Pie but it's a close second.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Hey maybe they learned their lesson, after they did the same with Chrono Trigger on Steam and everyone complained so much that they actually fixed it

Nope.

Though supposedly the dumb FF6 mobile port on steam has/had a GBA ROM buried in it so :shrug:

Literally the only upside to the mobile port of FF6 is they finally made Cyan's SwdTech skills charge *after* you select them rather than the "sit here and waste your entire team's actions" setup they originally gave his skills for some insane reason. And I'm sure there are romhacks for the SNES and GBA versions for that fix.

Steve Yun posted:

I will fully own up to being unreasonable about it because everything else about the game seemed fine.

Dragon Quest XI also has a whole city of people who rhymed but it didn’t piss me off, maybe they just wrote better rhyme

At first I thought you meant Hotto and how everyone spoke in Haiku but then I remembered the place you're referring to and yeah, the writing just managed to do it well without coming across as (too) forced.

The Haikus were better though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Your Computer posted:

It makes me legitimately sad/angry how hard they butchered the graphics on those ports

The best/worst part is that the artists thought the new sprites looked better despite being extremely lazy edits of the FFD character sprites.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

I would have bet the farm that this would 100% never ever happen so I'm really surprised.

it might be old but an honest to god portable Diablo is going to be a big deal for some people, especially since Blizzard didn't skimp on anything for it. The fact that a mainline Blizzard game is on a Nintendo console at all is pretty remarkable.

:thunk:

Blizzard literally started as a console developer and literally everything the released, except Warcraft and Diablo, was on the SNES. Or the N64 in Starcraft's case. Though if they could go back in time and un-make Starcraft 64 I'm sure they would.

Reality Pisser posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1051819990582726658?s=19

Someone was asking for this recently. I'm surprised they bothered.

Next Nintendo Direct:

"We'd like to introduce our final new character for Smash: Diablo."

King of Solomon posted:

I'm saying not to buy Red Dead 2. These practices are common in the games industry, but it honestly sounds like Rockstar is one of the worst offenders.

A short crunch due to unexpected issues that need fixed right now holy poo poo everything is on fire is one thing, but prolonged crunch is "management is either incompetent or malicious" or sometimes both.

This goes double for publishers who can and do decide they want a game X months ahead of when it was originally requested and well if you can't meet that deadline we'll just pull funding right now and gently caress your company completely. Or the Bethesda/Obsidian issue with Fallout:NV and the metacritic score.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Was tempted to get Starlink and knowing now that there's also a split screen co-op mode (that doesn't require a second ship+dock since 2p can use 1p's ship?) makes it all the more appealing. Probably won't pick it up until the holidays though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ungulateman posted:

Why is buying a grey switch with no games the same price as buying some neon puke one with fortnite :barf: and Minecraft :barf: :barf: pre-installed

Fortnite's free, but the bundle does include 1k v-bucks and several cosmetic items at least.

This is for the best tbh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

:dogbutton:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Whaaaaaaat I thought it was an endgame place that you couldn't get into

You are given the 'defeat Ganon' quest as soon as you get the glider. IIRC an NPC even says something to the effect of "you can go after Ganon right now."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Policenaut posted:

xenogears remaster WHEN goddamnit this entire year has been xenogears fanservice from square but no loving remaster

Never, because other than being a bad game I'm pretty sure Xenogears is one of the many PS1 era games that never had lasting backups of its code. It's like wanting a 7th Saga remaster.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Target is doing a buy 2 get 1 free sale at the moment on video games, unfortunately they don't offer many Switch titles in this deal. It might be worth it if you have a PS4/XBone as well and can mix and match across platforms.

Looks like this ended yesterday. :sigh:

I'm sure there will be a bunch of black friday sales online at least.

Your Computer posted:

Diablo fans hate Diablo 3 more than anyone else

as someone who never played those old-rear end games, I say Diablo 3 is good and fun

Diablo 3 is fine and they were smart enough to embrace Big Numbers rather than try to keep things balanced down since all that did in D2 was result in a lot of garbage builds/characters.

It's still not as good as Path of Exile.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Blizzard were previously rather dubious to a Switch version of Overwatch, but opinions have changed lately. The question is: Has it changed enough?

Paladins at least has proved it's doable, but how Blizzard is going to fit a game the size of around 25 GB into a Nintendo Switch is another question entirely.

Isn't overwatch only 13-15 GB?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nep-Nep posted:

This is a goldmine:

I'd be legit shocked if this isn't a dumb copy paste with gamefreak in place of whatever the original was about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gripweed posted:

ENGLISH ASIAN RELEASE CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZRlcM41Lcg

Hell yeah cowboy bebop.

...didn't SRW X come out in the last year?

Brother Entropy posted:

it helps to remember for about a good year or so us americans only knew xenoblade as this amazing rpg on the dying wii that those fuckers at nintendo wouldnt let us have

so it got suuuuuuper hyped up

It also largely lived up to the hype. It was the best rpg of that console generation. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mdemone posted:

Jesus didn't I pay $30 for a 64gb just like a month ago and it was a good deal?

$30 for a 64gb card six months ago was not a good deal. I think I payed that much for a 128gb card over a year ago...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

I honestly do not understand the appeal of broforce

Go watch Commando and then play some Contra.

Then play Broforce, because it's combining the best of both.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Augus posted:

This is making me unreasonably angry

Your anger is entirely reasonable.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Looper posted:

imagine if people only watched the oscars for trailers of next year's movies

This would unironically result in the largest viewer count for the Oscars in years if not decades.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Why would they port a garbage game like Starfox Zero when we already have a better Starfox game on the Switch?

Dr Cheeto posted:

[banging fists on table] TOKYO MIRAGE SESSIONS HASHTAG EFF EEE

This is probably even less likely than a port/finished version of XCX.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fallom posted:

Amazon and eBay are the only stores where that happens lol

It happens on Wal-Mart's site as well because they also allow third party resellers.

Gripweed posted:

45 hours into Monster Hunter and I've discovered a new status ailment, and it's literally the worst status ailment I've ever seen. It's represented by the symbol of three red slash marks. Whenever you do anything, like dash, attack, dodge, use an item, whatever, you get a little slashing sound and your health goes down. I think it's supposed to be like you have an open wound? But none of the regular health items make it go away. What makes it go away is a sushifish. If you don't have a sushifish, and why the gently caress would you, then it just doesn't go away. All the other status effects go away eventually, but the three red slashes just stay there forever. This was literally the first fight where I've drunk more than five mega potions. And it was against a Shogun Cenataur. Which already is a pretty no fun fight.

Reason #29382394787 why Monster Hunter World is better than the older games: Astera Jerky heals bleeding, can be bought for next to nothing if you don't have some in your item box, and you usually get a few pieces for free when going after stuff that can inflict bleed like Odo the hyperactive murder puppy.

morallyobjected posted:

hey y'all, wife just got me a Switch for our anniversary/Christmas.

what are some of your favourite games to have on it (exclusive, as we already have a PS4)?

In no particular order:

Octopath Traveller
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Mario Kart 8 DX
Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Blaster Master Zero
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Fortnite
Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Kirby All Stars
Smash Bros

Your Computer posted:

If they remade Xenoblade Chronicles I wish they'd make some gameplay changes and not just upgrade the graphics. I've tried getting into it several times but the controls just feel so bad to me, like you're just kinda yanking your character around all floaty-like... if that makes sense? It's like you push on the control stick and your character just goes flying in that direction rather abruptly. It makes me queasy :(

The AI doesn't know how to use certain party members. IIRC, Melly just kinda flails around a bit and doesn't do any of the basic combo stuff that the player can do let alone the crazy damage stacking poo poo the player can do with her.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

bowmore posted:

What should I play?

Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Midjack posted:

you could warez a bunch of games onto a single floppy rather than have to swap among 10 disks if you bought them.

Actually you just installed the games to your PC and didn't worry about discs, just arcane copy protection wheels and other awful bullshit. :eng101:

Look Sir Droids posted:

They won’t believe me if I tell than that though. :(

So let them do it while you watch and record to embarrass them with when they're teenagers?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The TSR AD&D goldbox RPGs made you enter specific words from journal entries and if you failed (3x in a row?) the game closed.

You also got this prompt periodically when saving. Better hope you don't gently caress up your entry when saving after a tough fight. :suicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

No sign of Diablos getting ready to burst up through the ground to eat them and save us from the movie. 4/10

dms666 posted:

Any recommendations on Switch games for older adults (60+) that are getting a console for Christmas? They will be getting Mario Kart and Mario Party already. Are there any puzzle games or non-rpgs/sports that anyone would recommend?

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Please help me build my wish list. What's missing from this?

Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Brothers: Ultimate
DragonBall Fighter Z
Splatoon 2
Dead Cells
Hollow Knight
Gris
Mario vs Rabbids
Owlboy
Katamari Damacy
Bayonetta 2
Mario Party (eh)

I don't like Mario Kart.

Octopath Traveller and Xenoblade unless you don't like RPGs. Maybe Pokemon Let's Go.

Maybe look at Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate but considering it lacks all the QoL stuff introduced in Monster Hunter World it might noti be as fun (I couldn't play it due to the lack of MHW's improvements).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ragequit posted:

Has anyone played the new Mercenaries Saga game, Mercenaries Wings: The False Phoenix? Curious if it's any good. It's apparently a standalone story which is good, as I haven't played any of the previous games. If it's a decent FFT clone I'll give it a go for $10.

It's probably very similar to the Mercenary Saga Chronicles stuff, which is a thin but ok SRPG. If you go in hoping for Tactics Ogre or FFT you will be disappointed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Lobster posted:

Yeah, it's a good idea. I'm talking to my friend rn and she says the dock has scratched her screen protector. That hasn't happened to me but what did happen was I did a very stupid thing - my hands were full getting out of the car so I put my Switch in my mouth and now there are slight teeth marks at the edge of my screen protector.

So did you and your friend buy some cheap plastic garbage screen covers or what? If you bought glass covers then wtf did you replace your teeth with that it was able to scratch it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean I can KIND of see some of them.

I mean yeah I'm Arabic and "Mr. Sandman" may not be totally cool. But I'm not all "OMFG!!!! KKKintendo!!!"

Donkey King was the final boss in punch out for the wii. The pairing makes sense in a vacuum but even Japan knows about the black/monkey negative connotations.

Mr.sandman's name is a reference to The Sandman from European folklore.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tuxedo Ted posted:

One question re: 8bitdo stuff; a special dongle is only needed for those NES and SNES all-in-one replica machines, right? I'm 99% sure The Switch and bluetooth computers can just connect with their own hardware, but I wanna be absolutely sure.

Also I really doubt the Pro+ models with the modern dualshock style handles are coming out for "holiday 2018", but how long should I wait for them to pop up? I haven't used a classic controller in a decade or more and I'm worried time hasn't been kind enough to my claws to abide that classic style. Anyone here have issues with it?

PRetty sure those dongles can be used for things like syncing a PS4 or xbone controller to a switch too. Or switch controllers to a pc.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

I mean they tried to drop the game part once with a theatrical release Final Fantasy CG movie. It turned out, uh, good-ish.

The movie was such a disaster that it resulted in Squaresoft ceasing to exist.

Advent children wasn't very good either but it didn't literally destroy the company and force it to merge with another to avoid total collapse.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The internet, and social media in particular, continues to be a mistake.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Can't wait to give Yoshi's Tax Evasion a try.

shirts and skins posted:

So I got a kick rear end bonus and want to get a Switch, probably 80% to play Smash. It'd be my first new console since the Wii. Any suggestions on the best place to snag one at this point? I imagine the holiday bundles and whatnot are basically done.

There's a deal on massgenie for a Switch, Smash, and a pro controller, but IDK how reliable that site or the deal itself actually are.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

I love the megaman series but you have to admit a lot of it is bullshit.

This was never okay

Isn't the block above you going to disappear first? That area is bullshit and the jet exists to cheese it similar to how doing quickman's stage without time stop was real drat hard.

HMS Beagle posted:

The boss you have to use Clash Bombs on might be my least favorite moment in gaming.

This, on the other hand, was outright stupid bullshit because you couldn't do anything to win if you didn't have enough energy to use the weapon enough times.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The apple should buy Nintendo thing is especially dumb considering the backlash in Japan if the company was sold to a foreign entity. It'd be like selling Samsung to Tencent or vice versa.

loudog999 posted:

That explains it, it was the first time I've punched the couch in frustration in a long time.

Chill penguin counters spark mandrill who counters armordillo, making the latter two almost free as a result. They're annoying otherwise.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PyPy posted:

Switch rpg recommendations....go.

Xenoblade, Octopath, Tales of Vesperia, Romancing Saga 2

Octopath is a 90s styled game and romancing saga is an actual 90s rpg.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

:lol: at people defending Apple's phone throttling when they did it without ever telling consumers and the "well it's to keep your old device running and it's pure coincidence that the throttling would push people to buy new devices" explanation only came out once they were put in the spotlight and had to say something.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pakled posted:

I feel like almost everybody misses something big in BOTW because there's just so many ways to approach everything. I didn't know about Korok seeds until I'd beaten two divine beasts because I'd taken a route to Kakariko village that didn't pass by Hestu and I'd somehow missed any super obvious seeds.

I didn't encounter the Korok see turn-in NPC until after I'd beaten the game. I knew what they were for but I just never took the road to that village so I never encountered the NPC. Didn't need the boosts but having more inventory certainly would've made things easier for me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Please do not buy or play YIIK. It is incredibly bad. Go check the rpg meta thread for some heroic posting by people playing that pile of garbage if you want lots of examples of f why you shouldn't buy it.

Also the insufferable gamasutra article about indie devs quietly push the jrpg genre forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Everybody throw Smash in the garbage, the crossover fighting game we've all been waiting for is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGV495ObUvY

This game has the unironic Swole-Jesus-breaking-the-cross meme as a playable character. :allears: