Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
I'm a long-distance runner, personally. I lift two to three times a week because I know it's good for me, but the exercise I actually look forward to, in so far as anyone ever does, is getting out and putting some distance on. Not to be that guy who finds any excuse to bring up his mileage I'll just say I cover a lot of ground on an average week, and can offer some decent-ish advice on running, since so far most discussion in thread is about either diet or weights (which are both also important!).

The main biggest piece of advice I'd give is to not be over-ambitious when you're starting out, particularly if you're overweight, as you don't want to destroy your knees and ankles. In a similar vein, get actually fitted with some goddamn running shoes, not just that which is advertised as such at Dick's.

To make the prospect of cardio that much more tempting, I'll add that I've never found a better way to kill a hangover than at a run of at least five miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

speaking of, how do you feel about c25k as a recommendation for noobs as is the current case in the op

It is not the worst way to get into things, honestly, though not how I got started in my mid-20s so I am not as intimately familiar with it as some runners. One thing I do worry is that it fails to warn people just how bad their legs are going to feel at the end of their first several sessions. I mean sure, initially it breaks up the jogging segments with walking breaks, but still a lot of people just aren't going to have the needed leg strength and tone to not feel like a bowl of rubber afterward, and as stiff the next day as Mike Pence at the Kentucky Derby.

Still, it gets people up and moving, and that ain't nothing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

Bourbon baby

Hey maclaine do you recommend tubbos lose weight before getting serious about running or is it fine to go ham whenever and knee blowout is unlikely

Standard disclaimer: If you take medical advice from a maniacal historian who for some reason volunteered to mod a subforum of alcoholic nihilists, you really have no one but yourself to blame if it goes sideways.

~*that having been said*~

It really depends how heavy we're talking. If you're genuinely obese, just jumping right into running might not be the best idea without some conditioning/weight loss beforehand because again, the more weight you bring to the party the harder it'll be on your joints. And no, you're not likely to blow out a knee (because you'll have died of a heart attack first lol) particularly if you're still in your 20s, but what's more likely is you'll end up in such pain afterward that you'll give up.

Seriously though, if you're really genuinely overweight, talk to a doctor first, presuming you can do so without risking medical bankruptcy.

baw posted:

i miss running but i didnt want to be another skinny vegetarian so i had to trade in the running shoes for the barbell two years ago

That reminds me: while cardio and weight training aren't exactly antithetical to one another, they can work at cross purposes. The more you get jacked, the more weight you'll probably have to bring with you down the track, and there's a reason we tease the big ripped guys at races about how their arms will be stumps by mile ten. Which is not to say you can't get lean and strong, but it'll be a balancing act.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 20:17 on Oct 9, 2018

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

good thing I'm a healthy 239 pounds just like MY PRESIDENT

I think I can safely say that if you're a morbidly obese septuagenarian who eats fast food multiple times a week and sees stars after climbing a single step, running may not be the best idea for you in the near term.

Agronox posted:

if you are super fat you should hit the stationary bike until your weight is under better control or else you risk plantar fasciitis and other lovely ailments as a runner

Shin splints too, come to think of it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

the bitcoin of weed posted:

whenever i tried to run while fat i just immediately got shin splints that never went away. this includes the year in high school i played football, ran nearly every weekday for 8 months, and had horrible shin splints the entire time

ymmv though maybe i just ran wrong

Could've been your shoes in conjunction with being overweight, lot of things can contribute to those fuckers. Plus they tend to only get worse if you try to tough it out and run through the pain.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

cool dance moves posted:

oh holy gently caress this explains so much. i took a crack at running some months ago but i got shin splints all the time. threw out those shoes (they were real old and falling apart anyways), got some new ones, and i don't get splints anymore!

Yeah it's hard to overstate how important appropriate footwear is to not hurting yourself. Shin splints result, speaking broadly, from the impact of each stride landing traveling up the leg and wrecking poo poo up. Being too fat, having lovely shoes, inadequate arch support, all factor into it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

naw tea only has as many calories as you add to it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

cool dance moves posted:

:allears: takes me right back to that no-carb thread in YLLS

A goon resembling a melted candle, the pied-piper of ham joints...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

mad.radhu posted:

I fuckin hate running, I can never figure out the proper breathing cadence and my throat feels like it's closing up and it sucks rear end

Running "The Worst Exercise" I do not respect it

Have you considered not running while simultaneously inhaling a bag of ground cinnamon?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

jarofpiss posted:

maybe if someone posts an inspirational quote itt i will go weight train

As I said weights aren't nearly as much my thing as cardio, but I am a Henry Rollins fan and he's said some words on the subject.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Not gonna lie, last time I had curry for dinner the results were...eventful.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've been doing like 4-5 mile runs lately every other day and just running for like 45 minutes is starting to get insanely boring how do people keep up with this poo poo it's starting to get demotivating.

I find small ways to vary my route without changing the overall length, plus I add new audiobooks to my headset because apparently I've not made it clear to you all just how much of a nerd I am.

If you're talking about treadmill running then yeah, it's going to get dull as hell after about half an hour. Even if you've got a TV or something there's not a ton you can do about that.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I live in a big city so I'm kind of in the same boat. There's a really nice running area on the other side of town but it's two miles on foot just to get there and the thought of driving somewhere to then run just feels kind of wrong to me.

I feel that. I'm lucky these days, but the last place I lived had basically no sidewalks or easy access to parks. I did eventually find a great state park that could give me a couple hours worth of nice scenery and protection from car traffic, but it took a fifteen-twenty minute drive to get to it from our place. I miss running there, but not the commute.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

I was about an hour out from home this morning when it started first drizzling then absolutely pouring, and was soaked to the bone by the time I got home. Hope my shoes dry out by tomorrow.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i like yoga but i can never get into it because every instructor even just the ones that post youtube videos has to ramble about mindfulness and feeling the earth's energy or whatever instead of just telling me which way to put my leg and i can't stand it

Yeah, this. The hippy dippy bullshit's always been at least waist-deep every time I've tried and I just want to exercise motherfucker.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The weather this week would have been perfect for some long-distances morning runs, cool but sunny and not particularly windy. Unfortunately I caught a wicked head cold over the weekend and can neither run nor work out as I'm congested as hell and gross to be around.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

i could deer hunt with a loving shovel where I live

:same:

Rare is the day I don't see at least three or four wander through my back yard, on their way to eat people's gardens and get hit by cars.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TheDon01 posted:

quote:

Hooligan were formerly harvested and rendered for their oil, which can comprise 15% of their body weight during the spawning run.

Ah, so somewhat less greasy than your average goon.

cargo cult posted:

tuna is rich and fatty dawg whats the provlem

Mercury, yo.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TheDon01 posted:

Just came by to say

Oww my legs

That means it's working! Probably!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TheDon01 posted:

:dudsmile:

Like 15 to go and I'm beginning to hate running less

I got in a nice two hour run this morning, but the weather isn't likely to stay pleasant enough to justify much more outdoor running this season (and I'm not one of those maniacs who goes out in below freezing temps).

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Nov 8, 2018

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

got any sevens posted:

jogging in snow is awesome as long as you can get traction

I do not care for it. Snow is for skiing, not running.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

oh what up fitness thread, I should look at things besides by bookmarks sometimes. Checking in to mention I run way too loving much, mostly racing marathons and ultras. good luck to everyone getting started with fitness, keep it up! :anarchists:

I've done marathons, but ultras are past what I consider even excessive running and well into the realm of ludicrous and borderline pathological.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Agronox posted:

ride the snake

SCAN ME

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

walking is overrated

Why walk, when you can run?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Muscle Wizard posted:

you really cant eat enough beans

My wife emphatically disagrees with this.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Spent the last several days doing the holidays normal of eating a lot and not exercising beyond that required to haul in more wood from my parent's barn to keep the stoves burning, and now that I'm home I got a good twelve miler in this morning. I suspect my legs will have something to say about it tomorrow.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hentai Jihadist posted:

back home where there was a big lake to run around, when it was snowing I'd take most of my clothes off and run around the lake at night so I would steam like a goku
as soon as i did that i ran into 2 old ladies walking their dogs and I lapped them again before I reached my clothes

A few years ago I was part of a relay team for the Burlington City Marathon, which happen Memorial Day weekend. The weather is always a crap shoot, give that it's northern VT and that particular year it was a windy, rainy 50 degrees out. By happenstance my leg of the relay ended with a long-ish stretch uphill on battery st. and since I'd only run six miles or so and I was still riding the runners high like mad I did it in a dead sprint. After handing off the token to the next runner, I did the cool-down walk around battery park, and was literally steaming.

Pancakes posted:

January crowds at the climbing gym. :negative:

This past week there were a bunch of bros I've never seen before, bro'ing it up at my gym and hogging the squat racks (while doing remarkably few actual squats or anything else). I suspect they'll be gone in a week or so, never to be seen again.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

That reminds me: anyone in/around the northeast who wants to do a fun as hell 15k set against a backdrop of industrial decay and urban abandonment would be well advised to sign up for the Utica Boilermaker, registration for which opens in early March. I've done it most years since 2010 and it's my favorite race to run (and not just because there's all-you-can-drink free Saranac beer for runners at the after party).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tastykake posted:

my PI is p jacked this might take a while

No one boss is as strong as all of us.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Kazak_Hstan posted:

SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS

and orks

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

maker posted:

my primary motivation is to prepare myself for hellscape world2039 :jihad::tinfoil::bernin:

Bernie will need your energy, train now to have plenty to give him.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Helianthus Annuus posted:

how tf am i supposed to consume 190g of protein per day ethically under capitalism

Eat the rich, duh.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Agronox posted:

i entered the nyc marathon lottery (which opened today if anyone else wants to do it), so wish me luck

it would end up being super expensive but i suppose it's a bucket list marathon

Good luck! I've never done any of the big marathons myself, only the Green Mountain and Vermont City ones so far. Last couple of years I've tried to do the Philly marathon but both times had to cancel due to unavoidable schedule conflicts cropping up.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Agronox posted:

My most recent was Philly. It was my worst time ever... winds were high, it was really cold, and there's a good 8-mile stretch where it's pretty lonely and miserable. Really killed my willpower to push through, which is entirely my fault, but still. Everyone I spoke with there was super nice though.

I've wanted to do the one... what is it, Burlington City or something? I never remember to apply before it sells out. The one where it got black flagged a few years ago for being 90 degrees and humid way out of season.

The Vermont City Marathon takes place (mostly) in Burlington, yes. It's run Memorial Day weekend which given VT weather can be...interesting. Last time I did it, it was in the low fifties, raining, and with massive wind whipping in off of Lake Champlain (which led to a moment of surreal comedy when I reached the bend down by the marina and saw someone's anchored sailboad capsize).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Agronox posted:

Oh, right! This was what I was thinking of. It was back in 2016. Not as bad as I thought--they halted it at 4 hours--but still must've sucked if you were planning on like a 4:40 finish or the heat itself put you on that pace.

https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2016/05/29/heat-halts-vermont-city-marathon-first-time/85131462/

Yeah I remember hearing about that as I didn't run it that year. One of my friends was doing his first half marathon and finished before they called it, and is no more brain damaged now than he was beforehand.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Sounds totally awful. I've never thrown up from exercise and that seems... Good?

Just run OP. With good music and maybe a weed edible or two it's real fun

Back during my hockey days, at the start of the season I'd occasionally puke during practice when coach had us doing kamikaze and kamikaze and I hadn't stayed in shape over the warm months.

twoday posted:

I need to do more aerobic exercise

What is an aerobic exercise that

- doesn't suck
- is not boring
- doesn't require a ton of people

You could run (on, for a long time. Run on, duckin' and dodgin').

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The one upside of the storm and cold snap hitting the northeast right now is that the ski mountains should get/be able to make a significant amount of snow. I've not had a chance this season and in the next week or two I'm definitely hitting the slopes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Is that the weight you're lifting or your body weight?

Also wheober is running 40min 10ks that's pretty much twice as fast as I am and i hate you. Do you have to just gun it for 40mins?

That's about my pace but I'm a really tall guy so I've got something of a stride advantage helping out on that front, and for a 10k I'm at the point where I don't need to pace myself like I would for something longer and just get up to top speed and stay there.

I find listening to classic metal helps as well.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

cargo cult posted:

out of curiosity are you guys who are putting up S-tier 10k times also lifting heavy and or playing basketball or swimming or whatever

I lift a couple of times a week, and during the winter I ski and skate periodically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

New running shoes, you're my best friend.