Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

shut up blegum posted:

What's the point of a new thread?

And also, I'm confused about this part in the op: 'Pokémon in a gym are organized by the order in which they were placed by their owner. Go ahead, put a Pidgey in slot #6 behind a Blissey, Dragonite, Tyranittar, Gyrados, and Ampharos. You'll be glad you did!'

What does this mean? :downsgun:

The old gyms from launch ordered things by CP, from highest to lowest, in a king of the hill kind of thing. If you dropped a lovely pokemon in a gym, it was lowest on the totem pole and would be the first to be knocked out, or shaved out by someone on your team with an alt account/friend on another team who would knock it out to open up space in the gym. Yes, people still do this, and nobody knows why when gyms are so loving easy to take.

Anyway, now if you drop trash in the 6th slot, somebody will have to knock out everything else in front, regardless of how lovely your drop is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

shut up blegum posted:

Yeah ok, but what's the point of dropping a trash pokemon in that spot? Does it earn more gold or something like that?

Nah, there's really no point unless you're still super starved for healing somehow, in which case you can throw garbage and transfer it instead of reviving it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Noxville posted:

What’s the best fast move to go with Meteor Mash?

Zen Headbutt, probably. Bullet Punch is pretty mediocre.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I threw a couple 10ks in to incubators as the event started, and 10 minutes later was blessed with a perfect Beldum hatch.

Pretty good community day, all things considered.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

The Zombie Guy posted:

I walked my Eevee for over 10km, and when I evolved it during the day, I ended up with a Jolteon...

Do I have to keep it as my Walkin' Buddy when I evolve one in order to get Espeon?

Yes.

This mechanic is an absolute clusterfuck because Milotic has a bar for walking and won't let you evolve it while it's your buddy. Meanwhile, you have to keep eevee as your buddy and there's no indicator it's ready.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

This is what we concluded, although you'd think the game would know where it last was only a few minutes ago.

Niantic'd

It's even better than that. Whenever the gps signal not found banner comes up, the game defaults the GPS position to 0,0 and the timezone to GMT.

This is how people managed to super desync friendship in the beginning, because taking a friend action without a gps signal would sometimes send them literally forward in time to the next day, and broke the progression.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

None of the gender, move or location specific gen4 evos are out yet. This means no gallade, froslass, yanmega, mamoswine, magnezone, glaceon, leafeon and whatever else is in that list.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Wheany posted:

I heard of a trick from a local player where you can somehow make your gotcha "get stuck" on a location where it will then continue to spin any stops and gyms even if you're actually physically somewhere else.

How does that work?

On Android at least you can just stand in a spot with access to multiple stops, turn off location services and the game will happily leave you planted there spinning the stops every 5 minutes with a go+ or gotcha. Can't interact with them on screen, but the peripheral still tags them. The connection to the go+/gotcha will automatically time out after an hour.

Dunno if there's an individual location toggle on iOS to do this.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I've always wished they would implement something like this, where the general range of IVs in 20% chunks would be represented at a glance by some kind of glow or aura effect. Kinda had the same thought about wild spawns, to represent how much longer until they despawned.

Niantic lacks the creativity to do something like this, though. The blue glow is just last 24h poo poo.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Who on Earth is using the berry button?

I take my left thumb, put it on the ball button and drag it clean across to the other side of the screen. Then spin and throw with right index finger.

It doesn't matter how far you move the button as long as you tap it, pull to the left or right and don't remove that hold until the ball lands.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Blaze Kick and Muddy Water got added to the move lists a couple months back. Seems like a pretty good bet considering the other options that can ever learn Blaze Kick are Hitmonlee and Riolu.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

iirc it's just "3 people initiate a battle for the gym, which drops all 3 into a fight against the first pokemon. two people bail and rejoin, one person bails from that and rejoins, all 3 people in separate battles against the same pokemon finish their fights and 1-2-3 punch the first pokemon to death instantly". I may be missing some nuance as I've never really tried to pull one off for real.

You've got to get the defender below something like 10 or 15% health before the other people can bail. Additionally, the timer is obviously a problem, so you've got to be able to clear all 3 rounds of the full-strength defender with gradually less people each time before it runs out on the first fight.

When we've done it in the past, we'll take one battle off it then do the instakill for the last two. People rarely throw golds after 1 fight.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

They also condensed the reward bubbles so it'll show +3 underneath an item you get 3 of, instead of 3 individual bubbles, which can make it look way smaller on screen.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I haven't played in two years. What generation are they up to and can you get legendaries?

They've been releasing gen4 for about the last 6 months now. Still no Garchomp.

And yes, legendaries are in raids and you can catch them.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

Community day was pretty random again. Wofe an I both caught 1 shiny in an hour while our son caught 4. Next hour we all got 2 more and then in the last 10-15 mins when we were going home we caught another 3 each.

How good is the special move, worth it or not at all?

It's just a smidge better than Blaze Kick, which they also added to Blaziken's move pool permanently.

It's nothing worth getting too twisted about. Either move with Fire Spin makes Blaziken the top fire attacker in the game by a pretty large margin.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Willsun posted:

Electric worth its weight in gold vs Lapras.

I'm curious today about Ice Beam because it says it's a possible charge move for the boss, but will we be able to get it when we catch Lapras? Will we be able to TM into it? And more unlikely but would our old Lapras be able to TM into it?

Ice Beam is legacy. Lapras could learn it back in the gen1/2 days of pogo and it got pushed out of the movepool. TMs probably don't work, because Niantic.

Any Lapras you catch during the event should have it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Reinstalled app, nothing with the swing.

But I did see that Google Fit isn't even recording my steps at all, even when walking like normal and without the swing.

edit: Another reinstall and at least steps are showing in Fit. loving hell POGO, why won't you take the steps!

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned needing to manually tell fit to track a walk, as the swing seems to think it's a bicycle rather than walking, which doesn't count for pogo. Worth trying if you haven't already, it's been working brilliantly for me.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

How soon after the activity do you need to mark it as a walk in Google fit? If I can get my riding lawnmower to count that'd be an lol (currently it shows as a bike ride).

Other way around. You need to tell it to track before doing the thing. Hit the plus button in the lower right to track a workout, choose walk and then do your thing.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Yeah updates love to turn adventure sync off. It's kind of like how Facebook loves to set all your privacy settings to default (ie most permissive) whenever they change them. Only more stupid because presumably they want you using adventure sync.

Every time you log out of an account on a phone it disables power saver and adventure sync and turns on sound and music, which is insanely obnoxious.

One possible cause for it getting turned off, at least.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

I can't wait to get this in the game before we get the rest of Gen 4.

I think the only thing missing from Gen4 now is Mime Jr., Rotom, Regigigas and a couple of the mythicals. Pretty much as done as it can be by Niantic standard.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

This is my personal favorite gym shitter

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Apparently the shiny Abra and Clefairy yesterday at gofest was a fuckup and they shut them off after a few hours according to folks in the park today.

Amazing that Niantic is still too stupid to see an opportunity to just embrace it and not piss people off when they make a mistake. Any other f2p game would have been crucified by now.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

So it turns out that Tropius is pretty goddamned insane in the current Silph pvp cup. Anybody around here have access to wild spawns?

I've got a trade burner account with a bunch of goodies and like 600k dust I'd be open to handing over the credentials and letting you loot whatever in exchange for catching a few <1500 cp on it that I can trade over to my main.

Or, ya know, just somebody that's spoofing and willing to grab a couple-few and trade em with me. Either or works.

Feel free to PM me if you're not up for posting about it in public. I just want a bananaplane or three.

Edit: also this is why pvp is loving stupid. Why not make a regional one of the best in meta? I'll just drop what I'm doing and hop a flight to Africa to catch a few.

Double edit: oh, Silph banned it, which seems sensible. I still want a bananaplane.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 19, 2019

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Entropist posted:

They banned it? drat, I have a legit one from Spain all powered up with two moves and I don't really have any of the other grass options... In the past I had no reason to evolve low-CP community day mons to get the special CD move, how could I know that the PvP meta was going to require those?

Right? It's a complete disaster of an implimentation. I just happen to have a shiny Venusaur with decent pvp stats and frenzy plant, but it was sheer stupid luck that it was the only shiny I got on bulba day and evolved it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

NZAmoeba posted:

Spoofing for your own private collection is one thing, it doesn't affect anybody else.

Spoofing to get an edge in a PVP competition against other players? You're the rear end in a top hat.

I mean, it's not actually allowed in the cup anyway.

But also this is how absolutely lovely pvp meta actually is. The guy that won the first season in Chicago had a loving Blaziken with stone edge and blaze kick. Stone edge was only a legal move on Blaziken for like, 18 hours after it was released before it got legacied.

Relicanth and Heracross are also quite good as pvp mons. The gently caress else are you supposed to do to combat the other people that have them? Communities do what I was describing above, creating a burner account, exchanging the creds internationally to catch a bunch of regionals, then logging in back home and trading them around.

Niantic is too head up rear end in a top hat stupid to understand their own systems, and basically encourage multiaccounting and spoofing with every mechanic they add, and if you're actually competing at pvp it's basically a requirement. Otherwise the time you spend to build a team will be utterly wasted by the 8 other people that don't have any qualms with getting those species by any means necessary.

I have no idea why I even play this dumpster fire half the time. It's gotta be one of the most abusive relationships I've had with a video game. Set a goal, work to accomplish it, run face first in to a rock solid wall of horrible game design, then get up and do it over and over again.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 19, 2019

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

That's basically my take on it. As a collectable bragging status thing, sure, but trying to be a game with an active PvP scene that requires "being physically present in other countries, or having other people who play be in other countries, to pick up the current best-meta toolset" is something that's dumb if you spend any more than 5 seconds thinking about it and imagining it in any other popular pvp game's scene is hilarious to think about :allears:

It's so much worse than just that. Since the cp formula is so heavily slanted toward attack, your optimal IV spreads are typically 0/15/15 or so because its worth 3-4 levels of powering up to have that 0 attack IV value. Then weather, trading, raids, eggs and quests all completely ruin that.

So now you have a situation like alola Marowak who's quite good and has a unique typing, but the only way to get one is to raid it. So now you have to trade alolwaks to try to optimize, but only with good friends because great, ultra and best all guarantee some floor of IVs. You can get away with great, maybe.

Then you consider things like Mew and Jirachi, which are one-off encounters that you can never reroll stats for or roll back if you made the mistake of powering it, but are also important to a number of type metas.

Then on top of all of that you get the legacy movesets and community day exclusive moves that can't be obtained or reobtained outside a single encore event held last December for 3 days.

On top of all that, second move costs can go as high as 100k dust on top of the spend requirement to power up and the general absurdity of maxing out things like sableye and medicham, and you're talking about putting in a week or two of work to power up a pvp pokemon.

It's absolutely abhorrent design and you'd have to be some kind of idiot masochist with a sunk-time complex to get involved with it.

Edit: and don't even get me started on the rarity of tms, the requirement to raid to get them and the heavy rng of using it after all the work required to even get one.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 19, 2019

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Why would anyone care about pvp

Also in all seriousness isn't there supposed to be enough of a rock paper scissors thing that predicting your opponent should make all that way less important? Or does the second charge move that you can just roll with the 3 optimal things and be pretty much unbeatable?

The switch timer is something ridiculously long like 30 or 45 seconds, so you can't just swap around to cover weaknesses at will. Basically the way it shakes out, moves are most important, species next, and optimal IVs last.

But yeah, this coming Jungle cup is normal/grass/bug/electric and Vigoroth is going to dominate the gently caress out of it because there's basically nothing else with a worthwhile fighting move to check it unless you're rolling Heracross, another pain in the rear end regional.

Also Forretress is gonna be a huge problem because there's no way to get fire in to exploit weakness, so you have to just neutral damage powerhouse through him with noctowl or heracross or something similar.

mastershakeman posted:

So why not use max cp ones instead of this silly sub 1500 trade thing

Most pvp is done in Great league, which is the 1500cp cap league, because it makes for the most interesting metas. Ultra and master are way less diverse and interesting.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

~Coxy posted:

There have been some, but it seems quite rare. Only 1 I know of in my city.

The boundaries of a "park" gym are defined by Open Streetmap data from something like 3 years ago now.

New gyms created inside park boundaries from that old data should still be valid, as will any new sponsored gyms that are created somehow.

However, any existing gyms or any gyms created inside a park that wasn't labeled as such in the ancient OSM data Niantic used to make the original EX boundaries will not pop up correctly.

It's a really dumb, broken system. They use OSM data but have only ever updated it 2 or 3 times for spawn mapping and never for EX location.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

Remind me if there's something special about Acid Spray in this game. It lowers Defense stats or something right? In PvP only? In short, is there any reason to take it on an Alolan Muk where Calcy IV says its DPS is low?

It's brutal in PvP because it lowers defense, even through a shield.

Otherwise it's absolutely garbage for PvE or for doing actual damage. You pretty much just use it as a parting shot-gently caress you before muk dies.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

tildes posted:

What’s the deal with guaranteed lucky trades from those two months in 2016? I still have a decent number of Pokémon from back then kicking around, and did a bunch of trades w/ one account to get luckies. However, our most recent 08/2016 trade wasn’t lucky, so it seems like they’ve run out for us. Could I still get guaranteed luckies if I traded those 08/16 mons with someone else though?

TIA!

It only works until the player sending the 2016 mon has more than 10 lucky pokemon.

Also iirc there was an issue where evolving a lucky mon registered the evolved form as another lucky and counted against the 10 cap for the guarantees. Not sure if that's still a thing or not.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

The charged moves aren't there to be useful for players, they're there to troll the ever loving poo poo out of people trying to do the raid. The massive defense stats, plus coverage for almost every attacker you could throw at it is gonna be miserable for places where you can only muster up 5 or 6 people total to do a raid. It's just a big old gently caress you to the playerbase.

:yotj:

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 11, 2019

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Ritznit posted:

It depends on the mon, too. Soloing Machamp for example is pretty much a cakewalk once you have enough strong Psychic and Flying attackers, since Machamp does not have great Defense at all. More bulky mons can be a bit more challenging.

poo poo, I've been playing since launch and certain Starmie movesets can still kick my rear end trying to solo it. Tier-3 is in the mostly viable solo category though. I love when Scyther is in tier-3 for the super easy rewards as long as you have a handful of level 30-ish Golem, which isn't hard with weather boost and alola golem these days.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the limit on item storage upgrades? I thought it was a 1,000 but I just bought one to hit 1,050.

2k for both item and pokemon now.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

tildes posted:

For Entei day does every gym get replaced with Entei, or is it just the new five star for a bit?

I really consistently get the “fill a circle you shouldn’t be able to yet” glitch without much rhyme or reason— always when in the same time zone, often in the middle of the day.

Do you have poo poo gps signal? When youve got the signal not found red bar, the game typically defaults to 0,0 for x/y coords, which puts you in a real fucky timezone that can cause weird date errors like this

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Be aware that a-raichu gets Grass Knot these days and wrecks the ever loving poo poo out of tyranitar, Groudon, golem and all the other rock and ground types you might consider bringing against him if you're unlucky enough to get that as a charged move on the raid.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

fwiw I've been seeing gotchas literally on the shelf at my local best buy, you may want to check online and see if any of your local ones have them in stock

Target too

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Mesadoram posted:

Nice.

Yeah kind of a shame about flying...

It was nice when Machamp raids were still exciting and needed a halfway competent team to solo. Power creep pretty much killed that though.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Pokemon Go: Unova game is dead, right?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Ahaha as in ONLY Eevee? For some reason I thought it was added to the pool. Welp, just means I don't have to do research stuff for 2 months.

Not only this, but in order to make this bullshit work in Niantic spaghetti code, they had to disable all wild Eevee and remove it from normal research and eggs because it can't instance the flower crown to just the breakthrough for some reason.

So it's literally the only way to get Eevee for the next two months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

But they had that squirtle event with regular ones and shades ones in researches?

You're absolutely right. The special research Eevee rewards also manage not to be flower crowns (jump start, celebii) and yet for whatever reason Eevee isn't spawning in the wild and they changed the "evolve a Pokemon" research a couple hours after the changeover to be Cubone/Pidgey after people on Reddit started posting their flower crowns from normal rear end research.

I'm sure the game can instance it to just breakthrough rewards, but it sure seems like Niantic has no idea how to do it.