Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Sweet merciful Jesus she's sooooo loving dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
I don't think it should come as a surprise to anyone that Whitmer appointed a BCBS shitbag, anymore than it shouldn't come as a surprise that just because a person you (I) voted for is in office doesn't mean that government gets put on autopilot. The electorate always has to keep a strong hand ready to make effective policy changes especially when our people might waiver in the face of doing the right thing.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
What's the full story with this criminal justice reform Orange Julius is going on about? I hare a lot of "endorsed by law enforcement" and that's generally not a good indication.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Bugsy posted:

eric trump, tucker, lou dobbs, rand paul, grassley and gaetz also retweeted this conspiracy bullshit.

Who in the actual gently caress does this brain trust think has engineered, constructed, and placed into orbit beamed energy weapons, in secret no less, let alone any remotely powerful enough to do something like this? This isn't some rogue Chinese underground research my dudes, this would require major MAJOR national effort and a funding level to match. We can't even do that and we have a military budget that's basically a funding black hole.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

Somehow the 80's are back with Regans rayguns.

I mean I knew they were with president bone-itis but now the writers are just seeing if anyone's paying attention.

I told that orange bastard to let me worry about blank.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Lemming posted:

Healthcare is at 6%, same as "unifying the country." Are you going to argue that Dems should spend as much time pushing for compromise and bipartisanship as they should for universal healthcare?

The Mueller investigation not being the most important thing doesn't preclude it from being important.

Famous non-economic problem Healthcare? How? Who framed this pile of poo poo?

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
How bad will Pelosi caving to the Blue Dogs affect any potential health care reforms realistically? I'm not under any illusions about M4A becoming reality tomorrow, but a lot of these reps are owned by insurance and pharma correct?

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Jealous Cow posted:

Poorly-considered geo-engineering projects to stop climate change, instead of actually changing behaviors, are going to to be the global climate version of Olestra and its anal leakage.

We're at the part of the sci-fi novel where human hubris has led to a major global problem and the humans attempt some half-rear end poorly thought out "fix" that sets up our heroes for their arcs in the next part of the story arch.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
OAN is Fox News without even a veneer of journalistic integrity. Use this information accordingly.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

It doesn't even matter if the lander broke some doodad and can't even do science now. Motherfucking Trump's signature gets to be immortalized for all time on Mars and there's nothing any of us can do about it now.

Should've loving plowed into the ground in a fiery wreck, like all objects baring Trump's brain-addled scribbings deserve.

also, i'm against further space travel and exploration in general these days

I'm calling it now, at some future date someone's descendant is going to find that lander and either sandblast Trump's signature off it or just run over the thing with a rover. Bonus points if it's a descendant of one of the children he gassed.

The universe demands it's satisfaction, for all mankind.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
"The first step in avoiding a trap is knowing of its existence" - Thufir Hawat

"I think I'll open-palm slap my dick directly into this industrial-sized rattrap" - Paul Manafort

"I hire the best people" - A piss colored golem

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Young Freud posted:

There's even the possibility Israel no longer has nukes, having only developed a few that have passed their expiration dates, for non-proliferation reasons

This would be extraordinary beyond anything. Nothing about Israel's actions leads me to believe they are capable of military restraint.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

FBS posted:

King of the Hill did an episode about visiting Wichita Falls, Texas, which means it's the greatest show ever and also I have exclusive rights to discuss the program because I lived there for a while.

I've been living in a hotel on this stupid airbase for 6 months. Plus side: Met a lot of really good taxi drivers who hate the everloving gently caress out of Cruz.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Gonna be funny when there was no direct Trump involvement on election hacking but he hosed himself trying to cover up this giant stinking hotel thing.

(Stone and co totally conspired for the emails tho).

Republicans, historically have HUGE problems with Hotels, criminal conspiracies, and low-rent coverups.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
Off topic but does anyone have handy the chart that shows taxes return on investment re: food stamps/SNAP vs tax cuts?

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

lol what a piece of poo poo, no wonder he got owned by a geriatric social democrat.

Pretty sure he also made huge moves to privatize Pemex and the water supply. They liken him to George Bush especially on the intellect front.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Good job Donald

Make Coal Not Commercially Viable Again is a platform I'd unironically support but not in the most rear end way possible lol.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

This is so loving stupid it hurts

How are these fuckwits still doing this dumbass poo poo when they have the most pro-them government imaginable?

I could see it under Obama because they loving hated Obama for no loving reason, but this is increasing under the Orange one?

They've become emboldened by an administration that gives them support, if not overtly then covertly, in the news and through sentiment. Remember when Charlottesville happened and 45 had his "very fine people on both sides" moment? These people hear that and read that, correctly, as being given the green light by an authority figure to engage in their bullshit. This is the GOP base, this is who and what they are.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
Yea Army was rife with that poo poo. I switched to the Air Force and it's a lot better but we have one (((SOROS))) MAGAchud in our shop that's constantly railing on about the gold standard. Meh

This

ZypherIM posted:

another white guy he thought that I would be totally understanding of his view"

Is a very real thing. I call it the Hate Club and being a slice o' Wonderbread myself, my experience is generally white people assume every other white person is in it. They wait for people to be out of earshot then start talking about "how bad those thugs (black people) are or about those illegals (which is really just a coded response for all Mexican immigrants, like my wife and 50% of my children, because chuds don't really believe in immigration at any rate). It's always riding just below the surface.

I apologize in advance if I generalized too much here regarding white people and stereotypes.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, rand herself said:

"The same moral principles and considerations apply to the issue of accepting social security, unemployment insurance or other payments of that kind. It is obvious, in such cases, that a man receives his own money which was taken from him by force, directly and specifically, without his consent, against his own choice. Those who advocated such laws are morally guilty, since they assumed the “right” to force employers and unwilling co-workers. But the victims, who opposed such laws, have a clear right to any refund of their own money—and they would not advance the cause of freedom if they left their money, unclaimed, for the benefit of the welfare-state administration."

Ayn Rand and what idiots think of her "philosophy" are truly galaxy-brained marks.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
I've no sympathy for Kelly or any other ghoul that works in this administration and honesty being a gold star parent doesn't buy him a loving thing at the end of the day. AOC was correct and will always be about him.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Elote's you uncultured fucks.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Rauros posted:

wow, the end of the Hunger Games in real life.

C'mon guys we shouldn't abolish ICE because

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
The US is absolutely going to throw the Kurds overboard. Our track record with them is awful and what's worse is that they keep believing we are their friends and are going to help them with all manner of things up to and including a seperate Kurdish state. I feel bad for them because they seem unable to grasp that the US Gov't doesn't give a single dusty gently caress about their survival yet they cling to that hope like some kind of cold war "We're the Good Guys" propaganda. Keeping the US there will not help them at all.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

How would keeping US troops there not help them? Erdogan's about to start an offensive against them and without US forces there he can pretty much indiscriminately massacre them with 0 repercussions.

I'm not in favor of bombing anyone but I'm 100% for keeping US troops around Kurdish positions in Syria to deter Erdogan. One of my best friends is Kurdish (and lives on the Turkey/Syria border) so I'm probably biased but I think it's a travesty that Trump's abandoning them after they've been solid allies to us for decades while striving for a democratic state. My general sense from talking to her is that most Kurds aren't enamored with the US in the way you seem to think they are and that they realize it's an enemy-of-my-enemy situation, but I'm pretty sure if you asked any Kurd they'd much rather that we not just up and leave.

I got some bad news for you about the US stepping up to actually prevent genocides. I also got some bad news for you about any plans the US might have about putting actual brigades up as a shield against the Turkish military, in that they're aren't going to be any. We didn't support them in '88, we didn't support them post-Gulf War I, II, and we don't support them now. Is it hosed up? Yes. Will it change? Absolutely not, as the Syria pullout shows. We will probably leave, the Turks roll in, a lot of Kurds will get killed, and in 10 years we will act like it never happened.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

ISIS magically not a threat, much like his other great victory in Korea where he absolutely stopped that missile program.

Also raise one for ARE TROOPS

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Imagine supporting America's forever war in the middle east to own the chuds.

Claim I will do thing, proceed to brutally gently caress up doing thing on all possible levels, claim thing was the greatest success, lather, rinse, repeat ad infinitum.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

this is from a few pages ago, but if you read shake hands with the devil there are several points prior to the massacres beginning that dallaire presents as missed opportunities to head it off. he had contacts in the hutu military who tipped him off about the creation of hit lists as well as weapon storage facilities. he claims that if he'd been given the order at that point to intervene (because the rwandan government had already broken the UN accord) he could've stopped it. it's unclear if he actually could.

the US's responsibility is an interesting question. clinton wanted to intervene, but he was scared off because of bosnia and somalia, and the UN didn't support US intervention. there were also concerns about france intervening (and they could've intervened earlier than they did) because of the colonial context and their support of the rwandan government.

Id like to know more about this. It sounds really interesting.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like this whole story depressed the gently caress out of me but holy poo poo that last part made me tear up. like jesus christ. your basically slowly suffocating to death and dying young.

My wife did a school project about a poem from the Great Depression from The Book of the Dead by Muriel Rukeyser. I HIGHLY recommend it.

http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/poets/m_r/rukeyser/overviews.htm

America has a long and proud tradition of putting young men in the ground to mine this poo poo, and then putting young men in the grave after they're used up, and giving a great big gently caress you to their survivor's.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Gnumonic posted:

It's horrifying to me that a substantial portion of this thread seems to believe that a genocide or massacre of the Kurds is perfectly OK because we know a priori and with certainty that any US military action (even the presence of advisers who exist solely to deter a massacre) would have worse consequences. It's possible to believe that 1) US interventionism over the past 30-40 years has generally had negative consequences, 2) that we're more or less responsible for how bad things are now, and that 3) immediately abandoning our allies and allowing them to be murdered is STILL A BAD THING that is in fact worse than the alternatives.

Personally I think we should tell Erdogan to gently caress right off and offer fullhearted support for a Kurdish state, because I don't see why the gently caress we should consider ourselves allied with the man who's jailed more journalists than any other leader. But even if you disagree with me, it's a false dichotomy that the only choices are WITHDRAW EVERYTHING NOW or FOREVER WAR, and if you really think those are the only two options that you're a loving moron. We could easily allow a token number of US troops to remain as a deterrent while working to negotiate safe zones for the Kurds in Syria. The long term risks of leaving some advisers around to deter Erdogan are very very low, and the upside in terms of lives saved is very high. We can exercise substantial leverage over Turkey to achieve this. And not every use of the US military is morally/politically/legally equivalent to the Iraq war. There are some instances where immediately withdrawing our forces will almost certainly have far worse consequences than allowing them to remain, and this is one of those cases.

I sincerely hope that none of you ever has to be in a situation like the Kurds are now, but I think that if y'all were, you'd very quickly reconsider your "genocide is bad but trying to stop it is even worse! and we don't want to stop it for the right reasons so why bother!" view. That's a very... privileged... view to take of the situation.

We exist, right now, as the closest thing to a modern analog of an Imperial power. We're an Empire. If you look at the long history of empires, you will find that they rarely, if ever, act out of humanitarian motives. It's all about what's the most direct way to get what they want right now. If the US ever EVER acts in a military action for a humanitarian reason, let me assure you it's purely by coincidence.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

HOOOOLY poo poo I want to frame this. loving poetry as I live and breathe.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
I want to echo the sentiment in this thread.

Trump is not an intelligent person in any real sense. He's proven this multiple times with his complete inability to wield the presidency for any of his actual goals such as the Muslim ban or the border wall, and no this wasn't a metaphor, he meant 100% percent a physical barrier that Mexico would shell out massive funds from their treasury to pay for. He stated this would occur, because Trump's dumb as poo poo. It wasn't a con in his mind, although he certainly is a confidence man. He honestly believed this. Examine how easily he got rolled by Turkey this week, kompromat or not. His complete lack of who Brett McGurk was. I'm not even trying here.

I appreciate the tendency to say that his evil instincts are part of some overriding scheme or that he cannot possibly be this stupid, but this isn't reality. He's exactly what you see: a dumb, petulant, fascist manbaby that everyone hates and cannot keep his poo poo together for longer than 5 minutes, and he's exactly what the GOP base wants. He wants to to hurt people, because he's a bully and that's what bullies do, and he continually fucks that up to the extent that he has because he is an idiot. He is both evil, and stupid.

While I'm airing a grievance, I've stated before in this thread about my feelings on Mattis and the cult of worship he has in the service, but I want to restate what I firmly feel is the correct position that people should take on him, which is this:
https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1075928185630535686
This is precisely how him and everyone in this administration should be seen in the lens. Trump got as far as he did not because ht's intelligent, but because at every point he had enablers to assist and enact everything they could. Mattis is no more innocent in this than Miller is.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

OAquinas posted:

No, long range nuclear torpedoes. Basically underwater cruise missiles that could be used for anti-carrier operations or blowing up port cities.

The Status-6 system? Kanyon's I think they're called. Basically their defense program is aimed at finding more and more creative ways at getting past our defense systems.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've always been told that the US Military is specifically made to avoid rigid authority chains. Like if your commanding officer dies the whole thing restructures around the next in line as opposed to the stereotypical 'shoot the leader and they'll all give up'. I think someone posted about that in the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread about zombie movies where separated and isolated army squads turn to anarchy. It doesn't mean that wouldn't happen, but the training is meant to specifically avoid that.

This is accurate. The structure is designed to be fluid to avoid having to follow unlawful orders, something we had to learn the hard way.

The closest thing we have to anarchy is something we call "shamming", which is just creative work avoidance.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

KickerOfMice posted:

Someone from goons in platoons will probably correct me, or one of you history buffs: I thought the real might of the USA warmachine sprang from WWII, and was tuned to fighting an extended ground war, by form. I mean, I don't "gotta hand it to " anyone, but an insurgent army that hides itself among the populace is a fairly effective counter right? Why meet your enemy upfront on the battlefield if you know they can crush you nearly instantly?

While I hardy ever post in GIP, there's this thing called asymmetric warfare doctrine that we use a lot. The theory is that it takes something like 10 regular line Soldiers to effectively counter the threat posed by one guerilla combatant. It breaks down to a game of sheer numbers and effective rolls, basically.

This is not my critique of either effectiveness of our forces or the moral standards used or any of the huge amount of issues that come with The Forever Wars, this is just me explaining what I can from what I was taught about the doctrine:

Couple this with our overriding moral requirement to protect non-combatant populations (as ridiculous as that seems with the various war crimes from the past 2 decades), preserve the functioning of the local governments, and keep life as regular for the people not in the fight as possible to various degrees, they combatants have a tremendous advantage. They flatly don't care who they kill or what they destroy as long as it takes out the invaders. We give a gently caress about the locals. That's their edge.

E:Let me add that it is my firm belief that we are an Imperial power. Actual definitions aside this is my personal feeling.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Young Freud posted:

"Mueller Angry Democrats" at least spells out M.A.D. Take that as you will.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Asher Smith wrote a criticism of a farm-related bill by Tammy Baldwin for Current Affairs that is interesting to read.

It endlessly astounds me just how severely hosed up every aspect of our agricultural system is. The plant based products already go out of the way to advertise they're in no way dairy based.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012
Rashida Tlaib on Channel 7 here in Detroit. Pretty cool about Jefferson's own Koran.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Can someone tell me why all those comments about her marrying her brother are in there? I couldn't find anything on Google that wasn't from right-wing shithole sites.

I think you mean Ilhan Omar and you already know why the low end of the grift machine is attempting baseless slurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Koalas Massacre posted:

Shatner was the only white male main cast member who didn't collectively bargain with the network to get Nichelle Nichols and George Takei pay raises iirc

Is this true? Lol what a gently caress. Man had what, the first on-tv interracial kiss with Nichols too and he couldn't be hassled to even do the bare minimum of the right thing behind the scenes.