Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Strange Poon posted:

2040 won't just have the East Coast underwater, we're looking at increasingly awful catastrophes that may not cause civilization to collapse but will definitely be seized on by the right wing to ramp up the fascism. I think the long game is favoring the left but we unfortunately do not have a lot of time.

On this topic I've been thinking.
One the one hand, social collapse in other countries leading to mass refugees is definitely gonna favor the right wing.
But outright natural disaster stuff will require the country to be much more centralized with relief and planning, really a communal matter. And this favors the left. It does not bode well for America's libertarian brain worms.

If we can fight off the fascist poo poo I think there are silver linings in facing off with this crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

My model is the bronze age collapse here. Lower population, people spending more time surviving and less time making trade goods, a collapse of the governmental systems that kept things safe and encouraged trade, and refugee armies making travel unsafe.

Why the hell are you trying to compare now to the Bronze Age.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Conspiratiorist posted:

You hit Miami with a massive hurricane, insurance primes skyrocket between risk assessments from further increased-intensity hurricanes and revised SLR projections, and capital just up and flees the state since it'd happen in the context of an existing global economic crisis. No rebuilding, no effective mitigation measures taken - the money goes where it's safer.

Domino effect as the state's economy tanks and other localities either get hit by weather events or simply infrastructure decays beyond the ability to sustain them.

Expect to start seeing this unfold in the 2030s.

People will continue to live there, of course. The Florida isn't physically going anywhere for a few centuries still, but with no tourism, collapsed agriculture, and its major economic hubs unsustainable due to periodic disaster events, then how do you think the third most populous state in the union will fare?

Bad as that sounds, isn't this just essentially a Sun Belt equivalent to the collapse of Rust Belt states? Is it really so unprecedented?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

see you in 2020!

Hey cool, you're an enormous piece of poo poo. :thumbsup:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Lightning Knight posted:

I queued a week for this by the way, don't do garbage like this.

Should have made it two years lol.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Strange Poon posted:

I'm kind of all over the place on it -- that is to say I don't disagree with you, and I may be comparing Apples to Oranges, but after living through 9/11 I'm not personally thrilled on counting the country to come together after or in the face of disaster.

There's a huge difference between a catastrophic terrorist attack, and the cold uncaring wrath of nature.
We could't come together after 9-11 because the idiots in the country wanted to mindlessly go bugfuck with missiles and troops and racism.
Hurricanes and stuff like that are brutally simple by comparison.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Mummy Xzibit posted:

I love that there are still people in this thread that find Trump to be more politically intelligent than X.

Trump will create a scenario to get the Democrats infighting.

Then he will promptly lose his temper with his own creation and spend several news cycles clashing with it. By the end he will have forgotten he made it up.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Blind Rasputin posted:

Jim Acosta is the Tami Lahren of the liberal side and he purposefully seeks out these confrontations so he can whine about them in the spotlight later that evening on CNN. I totally disagree with the WH blocking a reporter’s access, but Acosta is an anansi boy.

What a dumb goddamn post.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Kale posted:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/07/politics/trump-sessions-russia-investigation-mueller/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

The latest chris Chris cilliza garbage. Still instantly able to tell when hes the author of something since he does tabloid style headlines

lol saw that earlier on their front page and refused to click on it. Gosh can't believe the author!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

haha didn't see that Dana had lost his seat. That's a nice trophy.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Majorian posted:

Yesssss! Magnificent. What a bad, bad person.

I might have jumped the gun as I don't think it's official yet. But it looks to be soon.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Well yeah, that weird lady just came up out of nowhere and started harassing that guy.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Minenfeld! posted:

I don't get what I'm supposed to be seeing here. She's taking his microphone?

For a couple seconds he makes physical contact with someone trying to rip something out of his hand, therefore he is a monstrous woman batterer.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

"Sharia law is so horrible! They are swearing on a book they consider holy, and they enforce laws based on religion"

(Refuses to glance at giant 10 Commandments Statue and abortion ban across the street)

I love when American chuds on twitter comment on "European sharia law" like Great Britain has become a Caliphate

For gently caress sakes, go outside and talk to people you wackos

Lots of these people go outside to a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, and likewise think ridiculous things about urban America.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Bullfrog posted:

Does loomer live in MN now?

She's getting ready to star as the obligatory pathetic doomed protagonist of the fourth season of Fargo.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SourKraut posted:

It’s not going to change to Sinema. McSally won.

OK guess I'll ignore 538 and listen to you, random confidently depressed goon #583.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorry, friend. i legit had one yesterday because i stared into the abyss for too long on this thread plus the discord D&D chat. but i talked to a professor at my old college and it helped me a ton, plus just taking a break with pets.

I was at work (High School) and was just sort of hit with this zen feeling that the kids are alright. That maybe part of my bouts of unhappiness are some sort of generational ego of hoping we would be living and making a more beautiful world in our prime. And that naw, that was never very realistic, and was wrapped up in a sort of arrogance.
And that one beautiful day we will be the old people, and if we're the worst society has to deal with well that can't really be a very bad future. Hell of a lot better than the boomer gerontocracy we are trudging through little by little. They will all be dead in several decades.
Turns out utopia will not happened now, because of millennials or whatever, it was a silly thing to hope on. And the kids, the kids are alright.

Our job I guess is to push through the Boomer winter, and fight those bastards every step of their march into the grave. And it will be ugly and dirty and people will suffer, because that's what happens in wars. That's our duty. That's a pretty good fight to fight.
And coming back to the zen feeling? This is important to mentally fit yourself into. But we shouldn't do it for ourselves, our time in the spotlight as sucked after all. Too late on that account.
Do it for Gen Z, and for whatever the hell the current little kids will go on to be called. We're progressives drat it, we're supposed to be future minded. Not wallowing in the present.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Zeno-25 posted:

:decorum:

Now you're getting it

Go jerk off to your kid killing guerilla dress up games somewhere else, the adults are talking itt.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats up with all these weird conservative dudes being theater college kids growing up and than trying pretend to be working blue collar types. Like i get its a scam/grift/etc. but i feel like its some jungian thing.

Chuddy suburban white guys are almost universally like that. I always lol at seeing shiny pickup trucks that have never seen a day's work driving around my dense NY metro area burbs. You know precisely the sort of guy who owns them just by looking.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Ash Crimson posted:

america is like the ming empire turning inwards upon itself and going into stagnation and decay

Are you thinking of the Qing?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

twice burned ice posted:

https://twitter.com/BBuchman_CNS/status/1060646927958765568

Read: brown people are are not welcome in our asylum system because they're not white Christians from the Middle East

Where are people finding white Christians in the middle east.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Majorian posted:

There are fair-skinned, fair-haired people in Iran.

They probably aren't getting in though.

Tons of people in the (upper) Middle East are a lot lighter than folks tend to assume, like Italian/Greek white easily (fair hair not so much). Though lol no German/English white except for extreme outliers.
Nothing about that has to do with what religion anyone is. And plenty of those people would and could pass as light skinned latino/as (not Mexicans maybe, but others certainly).
So making some specifically racial distinction between them and latin immigrants just feels strange and off to me.

Basically looking like a Maronite Christian is gonna probably still make midwesterners report them on airplanes for being Mozlams.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Majorian posted:

Circassians often have fair hair.:eng101:

They're from the North Caucasus slopes, they're Europeans. :colbert:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Majorian posted:

A lot of them live in Iran (and the broader Middle East), though, is my point.

Yeah cuz the Russians genocided the crap out of them like 150 years ago and sent the survivors running south in every direction.
They're not really indigenous of the area, they're descendents of recentish refugees.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

My dream is Mitt running independent as a spoiler candidate.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

twice burned ice posted:

Saying this guy looks like a thumb would be an insult to thumbs

He's more penis than thumb.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

farraday posted:

As a word of warning there's still a lot of votes in AZ apparently, so this expect more movement and don't be surprised if Sinema ends up behind again.

From what I recall though Maricopa wasn't the hope spot, and that is what this count comes from.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

lol
"gently caress anything and everything that might possibly besmirch this one dude."

You absolute moron.

Grape fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 9, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

This particular idiocy will never not make me drop my jaws

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Fojar38 posted:

Us super-online folks have a tendency to drastically overestimate the average education level of your typical voter. Yes, knowing basic geography is in fact not a universal intellectual asset even with everyone having access to a database containing the sum total of human knowledge.

It's such a simple concept though, like a smart uneducated person can still grasp it quickly. Like nothing more simple than "In some places there are more people than other places."
These are furiously stupid people.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

MORE RED MEANS MORE WINNING!

Remember that the literacy rate in this country is only 86% and that more than one in five Americans read below a fifth-grade level.

That still requires being fundamentally stupid!
Even an illiterate dirt farmer can comprehend "boy there are not so many folks here in the country, and lots over in that city."

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

corn in the bible posted:

yeah they watch twitch and youtube and use instagram

The kids are alright Corny.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Demographics are destiny' has always been an excuse for the Democrats to offer nothing to anyone but their donors.

Welp you caught us red-handed, we're the DNC. Foiled again by detective Ace Hotshot over here.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sweeper posted:

where's that dipshit telling everyone maricopa wasn't going to help the dem

He graciously recanted. Be nice.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The artists too:

Why is Mine inspector even an elected position?

lol that top guy is just Sessions with hair dye

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Condiv posted:

i just don't understand what possesses a democrat to play a song with their racist opponent

A Vermont republican is probably more of a democrat than most red state dems.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Furnaceface posted:

Do Maine. Despite being right on the border to Canada I still know less about it than pretty much any other state.

Do you know what New England is?
It's the backwoods of that.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Tibalt posted:

Maine: the muse of Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft

Lovecraft was a Rhode Islander. :colbert:
And his muse were all the various horrifying white-ethnics moving into southern New England lol.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Kale posted:

The problem with Chris Cillizza isn't that he's disagreeable, it's that his "analysis" is the absolute bare minimum to say you are kind of doing your job so you can stay in a position drivel. It's always the most absolute bleedingly loving obvious to even the dumbest most ignorant poo poo in the world "journalism". If you have even a fraction of a brain you can figure out just about anything he's tasked to "analyze" for yourself and probably a few more things on top of it in short order just by looking at the world around you for a few seconds. He's just the most useless and lazy loving pundit I've literally ever seen color commentary or otherwise.

I dunno, I feel like what makes him suck is he writes/talks about politics like he's on ESPN. Which is extra loving disgusting and infuriating when it's stuff where people are being hosed and/or dying.
Stuff like "HUGE win for the Elephants on Child Prison issue!", "Trump runs up the score on Muslim ban court decisions!".
He's definitely dumb and shallow of course. He's kind of like Wolf Blitzer on cocaine. Which is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think like trump that hannity is as dumb as his audience (i think he went straight from construction to talk radio).

Yeah I second this notion. He has always been high on his own supply.