Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Jaxyon posted:

Love to see folks who would call a fellow leftist "liberal" for a slight strategy disagreement adopting Glenn "I'm literally a libertarian" Greenwald into the fold.

Of course they do. Once the division of leftist and liberal became widely recognized, it became an insult used to say "you're a person I don't like." The vast majority of people don't really understand the nuances of leftism (or ... anything) and so the result is pretty much what you'd expect. It's the same cultural diffusion that made SJW meaningless.

It's a fun game trying to guess which words will lose all meaning next. Personally, I've just been calling everything I don't like republican. I'm hoping it'll catch on with the gamer crowd and replace their love of calling things gay. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
Isn't Kyle Whatever like 19? A lovely kid with lovely opinions got famous cuz he didn't die. Maybe while he's at university and away from awful people trying to farm him for sympathy, he'll have the chance to really examine his lovely beliefs and grow up to be a radical leftist. You people always like to go on dumb tangents about how you used to be a libertarian until whatever the gently caress made you stop, so maybe that's how it'll be for this idiot, too.

Anyway, did we talk about how Missouri's trying to claim the title of "The Worst" for itself yet? New abortion ban passes their state senate! https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missouri-abortion-law-senate-passes-wide-ranging-bill-to-ban-abortions-at-eight-weeks-of-pregnancy/

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
The Equality Act passing the House with 8 republican defectors is better than I expected, but isn't it still dead in the senate? It'll never get enough for a veto override, so I think those 8 republicans just realized the vote didn't matter and made them look good. The vast majority of them are True Believers at this point, but there's gotta be some calculating corpses still hanging on.

Like, yay victory and all, but I think Prester Jane's in the right, here. Our leadership doesn't push for moral victories where we need them. We don't need people to fight for the middle. You don't change people's minds by offering what they already want, you have to push to show people that there's more that's possible than that. I don't think we've got that right now. But on the right? "Be nazis! Throw out the lesser races! Earn the respect you never had!" I mean... they have it in spades.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 17, 2019

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Louisiana is about to pass it's Handmaid's Tale bill too. The Great Fuckening has really begun.

This is pretty similar to the run up to Obergefell, honestly. All of a sudden a whole shitload of states decided they simply had to have gay marriage bans in the books, and within the next 5 years SCOTUS was like, "we've decided in a 5-4 decision that...."

I just hope one of the conservatives "retires" or grows a heart or something so this isn't the reverse story.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 17, 2019

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

TulliusCicero posted:

I really want to know if Republicans think rape is even a thing that happens.

The hints at their nebulous definition are completely loving insane.

It's like their definition of racism. There is one platonic ideal of rape, and everything that is not a black man forcibly absconding with a white woman's virtue doesn't count. They're actually pretty consistent because most of their beliefs come from the same filtered down completely uncritical sources.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Zophar posted:

I was really worried about this for a long time but it's also been abundantly clear that competent, charismatic and fascist rarely come together and it's entirely possible that Trump is the best shot they'll ever have, at least for another generation.

I don't think it really works that way. The fascists tend to band together in their own undesirability and grossness. Like, Hitler wasn't especially charismatic either; he was a squat little poo poo with a shrill-as-gently caress voice. I think some people just want someone to tell them it's okay to be a failson, and they'll follow anyone who tells them they're better than other people based on nothing, cuz nothing's all they got. Even after Trump, we're still going to have a lot of people ready and willing to fasc it up.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

The Ultimate Doge posted:

It seems weird that right-wingers don't like abortions since they're eugenic. I mean not because of the race gap but because people who get abortions just tend to be stupider. Allowing abortions gets them out of the gene pool to prevent Idiocracy

Ignoring regular regressives, there is a subculture that supports eugenics, but not abortions for MRA-type reasons.There's a weird entitlement overlap in people who want eugenics and incels who want children. Among the dark places where the worst people congregate, one of the arguments that gets thrown around is that some uppity woman will get it into her head to abort HIS child, and that just can't be allowed. How dare women have not only the power to deny sex, but also to deny lineage!?

Or something like that. Some of it's hard to parse because it's done in memetic language with a bunch of half-understood jargon thrown in.

edit: I seem to have also totally misunderstood the point you were making. Maybe you're one of the MRAs I'm referring to. :v:

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 18, 2019

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

PotatoManJack posted:

Google translate:

It is golf in Chiba with President Trump who has been welcomed as the first official of Dewa. The new era of peace is expected to continue as the US-Japan Alliance continues to be further shaken.

It says, basically: "the first official guest for the Reiwa Era of Japan is President Trump, playing golf in Chiba and reaffirming the unshakable alliance between Japan and the US going forward."

With any luck, they'll both get stuck in a sand trap forever.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 26, 2019

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Presto posted:

Difference is, Taft accepted he was fat and got clothes that fit. Donald is the fat guy who tries to hide that he's fat (and fails).

I think the difference is that Taft is far enough gone that his image has been re-purposed in animation and poo poo. Like, a stuffy old walrus with a monocle, or an especially chuffy cat. So you see his size, shape, and mustache and you get a hit of nostalgia. Modern day fat people look the same, but they aren't attired or groomed the same way, so that association is lost.

Also, like, Trump's a monster and a gibbering moron. Negative personality traits and intense ire towards a subject also make them appear uglier. Yay brains!

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

JVNO posted:

Can we abuse this and have other large cities break away as independent city-states for even more Senators without throwing the remainder of the state to the chuds? Would New York state and New York City state get us 4 senators?

NY the state would be pretty drat red without NYC. Outside of Syracuse, Buffalo, and Rochester, it's chuddy-chud-chuddertonland. And even those cities are kinda... eh. Rochester in particular is dying pretty fast, so it's got middle-america misery problems. It only stays blue because of the large black population and the colleges, at this point.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Mind_Taker posted:

Pretty sure Joe Biden's "plan" is very different than Inslee's and Bernie's plans.

It probably is, but I wonder about the value of debates at all in this case. The presidency was always a popularity contest, but after the way the primaries and debates were handled in 2016, I think they're going to be primarily graded by how entertaining they are, and what kind of audience retention numbers they get. America the gameshow isn't gonna just suddenly stop being a thing because there are real problems that need real solutions.

So like, "Dems talk numbers about the world-ending cataclysm" isn't gonna pull viewers. So I don't think it's gonna happen.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

VH4Ever posted:

Talk about broke brained thinking, let's not have a deep dive climate debate because it "isn't gonna pull viewers?" Give it up, folks, the focus groups don't like the Climate Change arc.

Jesus. So, not even a debate hosted via internet livestream somewhere that ratings from scumfuck sponsors aren't a factor? Just, nah? Too boring?

We're all gonna die.

I meant in terms of the people who run the debates. We don't get to decide what gets televised or how it gets monetized. So like, because they're going to focus on the dog and pony show aspects to get ratings, the debates themselves will almost assuredly be attempts to get snappy reddit video moments and poo poo instead of something nuanced like what would be required to delve into candidates policy on climate change.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

VH4Ever posted:

Why do you think Inslee is pushing so hard to host his own debate, if need be?

He should. The establishment has only establishment interests at heart. If there were a way to get people to focus on what Warren's policies were instead of how much they'd like to get a beer with Biden, then that's what we should be focused on. I don't know how effective that will end up being. Mostly I'm just advocating for an end to the 2-year president-a-thon we do in this country because I think it's functionally useless to everyone but media shareholders. The voters who want to know policy get nothing from it. The voters who don't give a poo poo don't watch it. The candidates are forced to speak in inhuman rhythms to avoid becoming memes, etc..

So if Inslee's got an idea to stage an actual conversation that isn't beholden to the warped Miss America thing we have now, I hope he does it.

Prester Jane posted:

Individuals like the one you were responding to absolutely do not understand what leadership is either. They think leaders exist to enable the crowd to move in the direction the crowd has decided to go, and that's just not how Humanity Works, has ever worked, or will ever work until such time as humanity has evolved into a state of pure energy.

This is uh, quite a reach based on misunderstanding my point. I tend to agree with you most of the time. But to be clear no, I don't think that. I think that leadership should take chances and push people towards ideals and should inspire people who otherwise wouldn't care into actions they otherwise wouldn't take. Traingulating gets us nothing but underwhelming technocrats.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 6, 2019

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Prester Jane posted:

You're right, I did misread you. I apologize for that.

The attitude I was criticizing in my post is very real*- but that's not what you were actually saying and I jumped the gun there and went aggro for no good reason. I do apologize again for that.

*and to be honest I've been looking for an excuse to wail on that particular nail and I need to check myself a bit.

Oh it's fine, you're right that that's a through-line in US politics, and I definitely could have been clearer to start with. What you're railing against is kind of the reason Pelosi is so obnoxious to most of us, despite being effective at keeping the caucus in line for stuff like the protections of the dreamers and getting the ACA through. She just doesn't, ever, put herself out in front and say, "we need to do this because it's the right thing to do" unless she's absolutely sure people are already there.

Being a little yelly and jumping the gun is ultimately a good thing here. It lets the laggy-rear end political triangulation operators know that there are people in that direction, should they ever feel up to joining us.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Ripoff posted:

Ted Cruz has no loving clue who that bigoted youtube kid is and this is kind of hilarious for that fact alone.

Crowder is 31. But it also doesn't matter who he might have been. He is now a Conservative Issue of Great Importance. I expect we'll get a fun round of "I can't believe conservative voices are still being silenced! What, now I can't even call someone a lispy queer? THIS IS THE FUTURE COMMUNIST AOC WANTS!" Or... ya know, something along those lines.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 6, 2019

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

eviltastic posted:

For some people you're doubtless correct that it's a bad faith dispute as part of an attempt at erasure. But there are absolutely people out there who are genuinely huffy that "he" is no longer a gender neutral default and they have to relearn something. There's probably a word for whatever kind of privilege is at play.

Resistance to linguistic drift is as old as written language. It's probably tied to subconscious understanding that words make thought and thought makes you. So like, someone redefining something seems aggressive and wrong to people because it's a natural reaction to someone essentially explicitly telling you that your understanding of reality is wrong. I'm not sure how accurate the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis actually is, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot of overlap in monolingual people and high resistance to drift vs. those who have studied other languages.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

TulliusCicero posted:

"Yes the Earth is dying and we all hosed, but you don't have the right to live on a sustainable Earth anyway"

Corporate attorneys are a special breed of awful. It might just be because they've argued in favor of poisoning people since they've existed, or whatever, but their understanding of law is entirely literal. There isn't a statute that explicitly says that you have a right to live in place that will continue to exist, so there's no requirement to make sure people are taken care of. It's like Prester Jane said earlier, the politics of a sociopath, but legally it's a sound argument (because the laws need to be changed holy poo poo this country is run on paper that would crumble to dust if you touched it)

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Rigel posted:

They already publicly joke about this all the time, but privately (or when they think they are only talking to their own audience) this is often a topic of very serious discussion.

Yeah, among the more outspoken conservative circles they're very much into the idea of chemical (or physical) castration of sexual predators. But when they say that they're including trans people and gay men. There was a recent uproar about wanting to chemically sterilize trans people before they underwent corrective surgery as a prerequisite to getting that (or any) therapy. TL;DR their ideas sound bad but are actually worse.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

And the laws have not been thrown out? Do they actually do castration in US?

Edit: looks like FDA has never approved it so its not been done

I can't find a good source for this, but there are places that seem to offer the option to get chemically or physically castrated in return for a lower sentence. Everything I'm searching just keeps bringing back the same 3 articles. I'm curious if/how much it still happens. My gut says the FDA objection to it means that it can't be forced onto someone, but state actors could "persuade" someone to "volunteer" to the procedure. But I may just be being cynical.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Rex-Goliath posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/06/06/fcc-allows-att-verizon-other-carriers-block-more-suspected-robocalls

lol they're going to start charging all their customers to 'block' robocalls without warning

I was reading that, got to that line about it not being stipulated it had to be free, and went, "oh. Yeah, there it is." Cause a problem and then charge to fix it. Costs always find a way to the consumer under a republican administration.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

RandomBlue posted:

"Can't be domestic terrorism if you're white, sorry." was basically what I got out of the AOC segment of that hearing. The actual response was more along the lines of "it has to involve a foreign terrorist group to be considered terrorism" even though they have no problem calling any terrorist attack by Muslims terrorism even when there isn't a proven link.

I think part of it is that they would have to classify a lot of their past actions as being terrorism if they didn't have that little "must be foreign group" to count conditional. US history is rife with some pretty awful poo poo. The powers that be have a vested interest in not having to take a look at any of it too closely. If white america could be called terrorist, white america would have to own up to having BEEN terrorists. It's a hard sell.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

LegendaryFrog posted:

It means Trump is still confused, and believes his tarrifs are a tax on China, rather than a tax on US citizens and businesses.

The man is an idiot, to be sure, but I think this sort of misinformation is performative. It's not that he doesn't know or hasn't been told that tariffs are taxes, it just benefits him and his followers for the base to believe that's true. Like how most people are totally confused about how marginal taxes work, it benefits the people with all the money at the expense of the poor and uneducated. They like that poo poo.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. he doesn't care. at some point the economy will pop(hopefully under him) and he will just blame everyone else and keep doing what he is doing.

Right? We all have a copy of this play book. Why the hell does it keep working?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

RandomBlue posted:

It has been reported multiple times that his advisers have tried to explain it to him multiple times and he just won't listen. Yes he is really that dumb.

He doesn't even understand trade deficits for gently caress's sake.

I mean, yeah, sure. But that's probably also performative. His "not listening" and the inability for anyone to control him certainly seem to make people a lot of money. You follow? Yeah, he's an unscrupulous shitcan, but it's shitcans all the way down. Think of Brexit: will it do irreparable harm to the UK's economy? Yep! But the people who already own everything aren't gonna feel it. They'll probably make billions.

I imagine the situation here is the same. The media conglomerates covering the situations are owned by the same people, after all. Even if Trump IS an idiot, there's a lot to be said for making your strengths look like weaknesses to the people you intend to exploit. If it isn't him doing that, then the people under him are. The administration isn't one person, regardless of how often it's portrayed that way.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Groovelord Neato posted:

people have to stop acting like this is all an act for the rubes. trump is one of the rubes.

He might be the dumbest man alive, but that doesn't really change the ultimate point: by having him out-front saying stupid poo poo, the rubes get conned either way. If he means it or if he doesn't, the rich people benefit from him saying it at all.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Groovelord Neato posted:

the moneyed interests don't want the tariffs. he's a monster they can't control. it used to be they sold something they didn't believe in to get the rubes to elect them while they did their tax cuts and poo poo but now the rubes are elected officials and the wheels are coming off.

I don't believe that's true. I think market instability is good for people who own everything so they can fleece it. If it were truly a problem for the crusty aristocrat class, I imagine they would have pulled the trigger by now. The Mouth Of Sauron will say whatever the hand up its rear end wants it to say. If they want to get rid of Trump, they need only repeat whatever lie they want and people will believe it. Our current situation isn't going to end when Trump is dead. Anyone can be president of the rubes when the truth is irrelevant.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Groovelord Neato posted:

why did none of them run on tariffs before?

I'm not sure. I think disaster capitalism on this scale is kind of a new trend that many of them witnessed for the first time in like, the 90s/00s in Russia. People recently came around to modern monetary theory, so maybe from the right they started to realize just how much they could take without the whole thing coming down.

I don't deny that there's a class of true-believer dumbasses in some positions of power now, but I don't think that's the reason Trump isn't being removed. I think it's just that the comfortable people have come to the conclusion that they can rock the boat a lot harder than they used to, and are enjoying it. The people in media have got to realize just how strongly they've captured their audience, so they know they can pretty much get them to believe anything they want. Given that, if Trump were truly a liability (to them) they'd ensure he was gone.

haveblue posted:

The rich don't live in a magical parallel dimension, they're affected by economic trends too. They just have more and better tools to respond to them. If we have another global recession a lot of people are going to lose a lot of money and that includes people who have the ear of governments including ours. That ear just leads straight to a second ear right now.

Right, they don't want to CRASH the market. But having it do backflips now and then makes shorts and day trades worth megabucks, doesn't it?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Centrism is synonymous with conservatism in the previously academic sense of “I’m uncomfortable with change even if its to my betterment” rather than the relatively recent Regressive form of “let’s drive this poo poo back into the 1850s!”

I've taken to understanding centrism as a psychological understanding of sociological problems. If you don't think of people as individuals, and instead think of things in a dichotomy (as most people without nuance view modern discourse: like how everything MUST be either Left or Right) it seems reasonable to see that there could be some kind of compromise between disparate, discrete identities. But in reality, it's myriad people all acting in their own perceived self-interest, so the centrist model fails to account for things like the irrationality of group dynamics.

That, and the vast majority of people don't really care about things that don't personally effect them, and centrism is easy and generally blameless. Like how "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" was a super popular non-answer for people in the 00s who didn't want to be bothered.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

RandomBlue posted:

Sounds like you're invested in believing the President can't possibly be that dumb because that would mean we have an utter moron running the country and it makes you feel better not to believe that, despite the mounds and mounds of evidence he's an absolute loving moron with no clue about anything.

HE loving STARED INTO THE SUN DURING AN ECLIPSE. Was that also a performative? He does not know how to close umbrellas. "Harvey was one of the wettest, from the standpoint of water."

That's really not the point I'm making at all. The president can be a literal corpse and the effect would probably be similar. What I'm calling "performative" isn't him being a moron, it's that his antics are furthering a political end. I'm saying that the pageantry and spectacle of the dumb president is useful to serve the ends of the party he represents, which would still be the case even if he were brilliant.

Or to put it another way: given our current system of misgovernance, who the president is is largely irrelevant. Trump is especially bad at the job of figurehead, but excels at the job of convincing marks to enjoy the extra liberties being taken with them.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm of the mind that the wheels are coming off the wagon. they never wanted the rubes elected - that includes the tea party psychos that have sometimes sunk the things that would've benefited the ultrarich because some piece of legislation wasn't psychotic enough. they wanted people divorced from reality but only to get the paul ryans in power not the true believers.

I would prefer if you were right, because that would mean that the eventual end point is one that's bad, but recoverable. I've just been reading and listening to a lot of Masha Gessen, and much of what she describes as the elimination of truth as a point of power seems to be very relevant with our current situation. Trump could never be Putin, but the oligarchical backdrop for Putin is very real in our power structure. I think that the republicans know that, and they intend to do everything they can to sieze and maintain a deathgrip on it, regardless of the consequences to the country in future.

RandomBlue posted:

Performative implies intent, he's a spectacle for sure but it's not "performative". Sure he does have some performative moments when he's at his rallies telling his bullshit stories or on camera making faces, etc... But his moronic actions and beliefs are not.

So yeah, I'm not talking about Trump the person. I'm talking about the Trump administration. I'm sorry that was unclear. Trump dumb. From my perspective, whether he's dumb because he wants to be or dumb because he's a marionette doesn't change the fact that it's a performance. But I can see why you would disagree with that.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 7, 2019

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Since apparently the stock market is detached from the actual economy at this point what exactly would need to happen to make it significantly fall?

Someone needs to blink. The stock market is basically just wishes and "confidence" of a bunch of rich people with fake money. What it does is almost entirely based on mass hysteria and/or blind faith. That it has real-world impact is ... unfortunate.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Rigel posted:

If he is soundly defeated in 2020 AND if his name is used by Dems in future elections to their clear advantage "Republican X supported Trump, vote against him" (and they do), then his post-presidency approval will get the GWB treatment where a lot of Chuds disavow him.

Bad news about GWB's approval rating, if that's what you're hoping for: https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/22/politics/george-w-bush-favorable-poll/index.html

It's at like 60% now

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Ripoff posted:

While I agree with you that it’s scary, I think it’s a problem that is mostly with Fox News and their legendarily stupid viewership. Not in a traditional or formal educational stance, mind you, but in day-to-day happenings in the world, people who watch Fox News are less informed than people who don’t watch the news at all.

You have to be a stone-cold idiot to be able to watch Fox News and not see the daily hypocrisy and lies, so that’s why their viewership can be treated like they’re morons and lied to constantly. The only bright side is that their viewership is mostly old people who won’t be torturing us for much longer as the grim reaper waits for no one. :unsmigghh:

This is half true. FOX News is an infectious disease, but they control the narrative of ALL media, not just the media their viewership sees. Thanks to the big fuckoff controversy with Crowder, I came across a video by Carlos Maza that talks about the cycle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzoZf4IAfAc

tl;dw -- By making a big shitstorm over any issue they want, FOX can make other news media outlets talk about things because by virtue of FOX blaring it 24/7, anything they decide to do that with BECOMES newsworthy.

It's part of what Prester Jane was saying before: it's a tactic that was used in Russia and exposed by Masha Gessen, but this is the face of modern propaganda. That exhaustion we feel from dealing with this poo poo all the time is the entire point of it.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 7, 2019

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Ripoff posted:

I still think that as their viewership gets old we’ll see their influence wane, and as they get more overtly bigoted against protected classes to drum up viewership, we’ll see more advertisers walk like Bayer did recently. They’re (very slowly, I’ll admit) painting themselves into a corner with having to get more bigoted and exclusive to get views while the population of the US stops worrying about gay marriage or trans rights and other conservative dog-whistles.

It seems like a dead end, but ... maybe it isn't. The window of what's acceptable has shifted many times throughout our history. Gay rights are okay, gays should be killed, gays are fine, gays should be castrated, black people are subhuman, black people can run for office, black people can't exist without white guidance, a black man is president, etc., etc.. My main fear is that the right has thought-leaders and ideologues in the way that the left really doesn't. When I think about people who push the envelope to get people motivated, I see a lot more effectiveness from the evangelical crowd than I do for someone like Warren. She's amazing and inspiring, don't get me wrong, but she doesn't command the same kind of following. Part of it is that the media often ignores her, but this is a world-wide thing. Authoritarianism is on the rise all over the world, and I'm not really sure what the cause is.

I feel like there's a world-wide epidemic of hopelessness that's keeping people down, and turning more people and countries towards the "safe" "sensible" policies like isolationism and authoritarianism, but at the same time, I feel like that might be me catastrophizing.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Ague Proof posted:

The 'P' makes me sick, if it means what I think this shithead is implying.

bobjr posted:

The P is there because of pedophile right?

Yup. Welcome back to the 70's. It started to gain traction about a year ago, but "oh you're a gay man, you must love little boys" is a talking point again.

e: to clarify, I'm saying this as a gay man in New York. It's not like I never heard this before, but since last year it's spiked.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

theflyingorc posted:

Yup, there's a rumor going around that Pedophiles want to be included in the acronym - which they probably do - but it's spun in such a way to act like it's being taken seriously - that the gay community is going to pull in pedophiles and celebrate them.

Credulous, hateful right wingers believe it because to them, it isn't a stretch - they already support "Those men who wanna be women", so there is no depth to their depravity.

You have to be real dumb and real hateful to believe it.

It's not that pedophiles want to be seen as a sexuality. It's entirely projection that deviant sexualities are dangerous to children, explicitly. The point is to demonize, and it has nothing to do with credulity. I haven't ever seen a single person ask "are pedophiles included?" It's always, 100% of the time accusatory.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

theflyingorc posted:

These are real, circulated rumors that may have a seed of truth(in that some pedophiles lobby for acceptance, which they shouldn't be given!), but they're being spun as "see, the gay dudes are saying pedophilia is OK". That's a thing that is actually happening.

This is a unique experience for me. I've seen it happen to other people before, but it's neat. Thank you for explaining to me that I'm wrong about my own people because you've found conspiracy theories surrounding it. Congratulations, you've discovered that in July of last year, this suddenly became a thing. Because, about a year ago, like I mentioned, this spiked as a method to attack gay men (specifically) and LGBTQ people in general.

MAP/NOMAP isn't a real thing in the gay community. To the extent that it exists on Twitter and Urban Dictionary is self-referential to the non-thing you're pointing to.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

I was reacting to the articles that you cited. I took you to be pointing them out as proof that there was, "a seed of truth" as you said to the idea. If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

theflyingorc posted:

There are actual pedophile organizations that push for pedophile acceptance as a normal, healthy organization. This is a true thing. They are not, however, being successful in their efforts, and LGBT groups largely tell them to GTFO when they try to weasel their way in.

Their existence is a real thing, their acceptance is not.

I mean, yeah. NAMBLA is a real thing that exists. But the connection of gay men to pedophilia is an old one, and the purpose of drawing attention to that connection in public consciousness is to demonize, like it always was. That the angle of attack has expanded to not just gay=pedophile but to gay=pedophile accepting doesn't really seem like a shift to me that's worth anything. And in practice, in real life, random assholes have been calling me "pedo" as synonymous with gay more recently. Which I what my initial point was. You seemed to be discounting what I was saying to point out ... that people try to demonize gay men by associating them with pedophiles. Which is what I thought my original point was.

Because they do. Frequently.

edit: I'm going to chalk this up to me getting into about 50 bad faith homophobia-related arguments this week thanks to the Maza/Crowder situation and being on a hair-trigger. I don't think what you said is wrong, and I don't want to poo poo up the thread more. So I'mma take a nap. Soz for jumping on you.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
This kind of thing is why I think so much of our current situation is performative. Trump might think he's doing things, but the [major crisis! Trump is wrecking havoc! Good lord what's going on! Oh nothing. Status Quo + more state power and a little more racism] has happened repeatedly over the past two years. We don't know what happened yet, but I can't be alone in seeing this pattern, right? Things get a little bit worse, Trump does something stupendously stupid, everyone freaks out, things don't get a LOT worse, everyone calms down: repeat.

To clarify: things get continually worse, but gradually, and everyone who points it out looks crazy because the BIG poo poo doesn't happen.