Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

also this is absolutely the wreck of the death star which means the Emperor probably survived the end of ROTJ and is the real face behind the power, which is dumb as gently caress

e: like "evil force ghost emperor" would have been alright but "actually he's been living in the ruins of the giant space station we specifically saw explode into dust" is :wtc: as hell

its a ghost or something. plus i can see parts of the death star "surviving". the thing was a big as a planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

STAR war 10: The Corescaunt Death Star Crisis
Star War 11: The Jakku Contra
Star War 12: The War on Darth Terror

well thats honest to god the old EU. basicaly the authors got bored of the empire being the made baddies and just made up random factions like the yethra and Kueller and that sentient beetle and durgas space laser.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Didn't Palpatine like literally explode too?

lol

yeah. I think he is gonna be a ghost or something visiting kylo or some poo poo. i don't even hate this poo poo that much since the old canon did before and it was dumb and amusing then. i mean in the old canon he died when he was shot in the gut by han solo and his soul was absorbed by a dying amputee.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kuato posted:

They should do a movie about darth Vader but it’s the final scene from rogue one and it composes the majority of the movie.

honest to god if i rewrote rogue one. id cut dad planet out and move dad to bahama world. than have the rebels start winning until "oh gently caress, vader and the fleet showed up" and the rebels start getting decimated. vader lands and slowly moves his way toward the protags. maybe donnie yen manages to force shut a door to keep vader out for bit. than girl lady beams the plans off like a second before vader kills her. plans go to leia ship and you see that fly away or some poo poo.

id also make the characters actual characters but whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Oh god. With Palpatine being so prominent in the advertising, I realized that Abrams totally was going to have it be that Snoke was Palps somehow until TLJ killed it

idk. i feel like that would be too much planning for any of these guys. i will still say the one thing i genuinly did love in TLJ despite all the other poo poo was that snoke was just some dumb fucker with for powers leading a bunch kids of space facists around by the nose because in the world of the blind, the one eyed man is king. much like kylo wants to be vader, snoke wants to be palpatine but bigger but just like kylo makes for a poor vader, snoke makes for a dumber sheeve and gets wrecked.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Why do you feel that the events of TLJ prevent Snoke from being Palpatine?

because if they were gonna pull that one out of their rear end, they would have set it up slightly more in the TLJ.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RaySmuckles posted:

sorry to derail, but its interesting something could be like uncharted/souls

aren't those two series like diametric opposites?

like, the exact opposite takes on 3rd person action games?

the combat is more sekerio with traversial/platforming with uncharted.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

You are on this Council, but we do not grant you the rank of Master.

lol. i am sorry, yeah some of the disney stuff is dumb as gently caress but LOL if you think "legends" stuff is that great. most of it dumb or bad or poo poo with maybe 10 or so good ideas and most of them are just action tropes/heroes from the 90s.

DoctorGonzo posted:

lmao that the new ghostbusters will be better than the last star wars movies

ehh, maybe. it looks very TFA like and i am kinda weird out by that. like 1 was good/great comedy(2 was a mixed bag and 2016 was boring/bad) but loving lol. also egon having kids is weird.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Tired: Han Solo is killed by his son, Kylo Ren, in front of Chewbacca's eyes..

Wired: Han Solo does of old age or some poo poo I guess, Chewie is crushed by a moon.

i kinda of enjoy disneys depiction of han and leia and their whole marriage imploding. they tried to make it work but as rich evans said, "do you think han solo would be a good dad" Ben was kid who had a bad dad and bad uncle and a poo poo head dude promising him power and cool poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/status/1204393234438316032?s=19

Boyega is not gonna shy away from talking about these movies

he ist wrong. i liked finn in tfa and they hosed his whole arc up in TLJ. i can't blame him for being annoyed that his storyline is viewed as the worst par of a movie when its not his fault.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

The (now Legends) EU novel Shatterpoint expands Windu's backstory making him part of a dark skinned "near human" race that comes from a jungle planet marked by constant savage low-tech inter-clan warfare.

he is human, its dumber than that. basicaly like generations ago, some black jedi or people crashed on the planet and went full heart of darkness type bullshit than some white people showed up and they fight.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think I got it confused with Asians, who were "near humans" in the old EU. LOL

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Epicanthix

His arc was one of the high points of TFA to be honest and I would be annoyed with it being reset to zero in TLJ, especially with all the minstrel show baggage making cowardice a defining trait of one of the first leading black role in a star war carries.

yeah, i like finn in tfa and is basicaly the closet i relate to because of this whole scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJTz-ahXyyI

I don't hate TLJ(like luke and kylo and rey and snoke) but it does finn dirty.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 10, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

skasion posted:

The droid army in the prequels is essentially a PMC. You could argue that the clone army is too, tbh, only it has a veneer of legitimacy from having been made the Grand Army of the Republic after the fact.

i mean the whole confederacy are basicaly just rich gleep glops that got tricked/greeded into being the bad guys for a war thats was basicaly a stage play.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Just Chamber posted:

- Have Rey actually team up with Kylo at the end. Actually embrace the whole abandoning the Jedi and Sith code and go towards the grey. The books stay burnt.

i agree with everything but this. Kylo never changes really, he just switches from "being the best edgelord sith man ever" to "gently caress it burn it all down because I got hosed in the past and i refuse to learn from mistakes, so i am just gonna erase it". he is still a darkside monster, he is just his own monster now instead of snokes. rey comes to terms with her past and is able to move on from it, kylo can't which is why he just projects.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

But Luke found this evil hole and decided "hey! I'm gonna build a house and live on top of it :downsa:" and isn't that suspicious for a failed Jedi who quit the order?

i feel like their are probably weird dark side/light side caves/holes/trees/etc all over the galaxy. but yeah its lazy yoda thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Just Chamber posted:

I think we would have had a MUCH better third movie if there was no Sith, no Jedi. You're right he doesnt change in TLJ but you just know we're going to get a Kylo redemption story in this new film so some evidence of change would have been nice.

A Kylo that realised that in fact he'd been manipulated by Snoke, that being rah rah evil, kill everyone, kill your dad etc wasnt the way but also Luke's teaching of being pure good and purging emotions/ the typical jedi poo poo was also wrong would be so much more interesting than the NEW DARK LORD we got at the end of TLJ. We know he has some light in him from his conversations with Snoke so it makes some sense he'd think the middle was more where he belonged.

You could have had Rey join with him at the end of TLJ because she's manipulated or is so disheartened by Luke's teachings, the reveal she's a nobody etc then at the beginning of this new film perhaps she's realising Kylo is loving nuts, but hey Luke is still alive and he plays a role at bringing Rey back in the first act of the film (perhaps here is where he sacrifices himself) and she runs back to The Resistance etc. I'm spitballing but i do think that team up was a much better plot point than what we got.

he isnt really a sith though. he just a dumb facist maurader now.

Just Chamber posted:

Also John Boyega dislikes The Last Jedi now.

i mean again, i dont loving blame him at all. like despite what dumbshit "woke" twitter critics say, finn and roses arcs were the worst part of the loving movie. like yeah i get what rian was trying to do thematically but it just doesn't work well at all story wise. also i love that said critics are now turning on john for speaking the truth. good on him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Actually *watched* TFA for the first time a couple of days ago, but what severely puts me off is the amount of, i dont know how to put it, "cool" behaviour of the characters.
Like, when Finn and Poe bail in the Tiefighter, the dude-broing comedy had me in cringes.

I dont know, i liked star wars characters when they were a bit more stoic, Han Solo was a space-swashbuckler but never resorted to throwing oneliners on a per-minute basis.
Maybe its just me growing old, but i really dont like the manner in which characters interact with each other in a star wars environment.

i see what you mean, but poe and finn are explainable enough. poe is a hot shot pilot/commando and thats his whole personality, finn being basicaly a blank slate who is also scared shitless, copies him hard because he wants to sound like he isnt losing his poo poo. finn is projecting and han calls him out on it a bunch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dick wizard posted:

Okay everyone lean in real close while I explain why TLJ was bad again..

*holds your dick like a microphone*
I took my son (a child in grade school) to see it and he was loving bored out of his mind. He loved TFA. He was super excited for TLJ. He thought I was taking him to see a movie about laser swords and the underdog learning about the power within themselves. He's a big fan of girl heroes (his favorite crystal gem is Pearl) and he loved Rey in the first one. After the first 15 minutes he was asking how much longer the movie would be and if we could go home. He has never done this at a movie in the past.
I asked my 17 year old niece what she thought and she said, "I'm just glad they're not making anymore Star Wars after this one."
So my question is this, if it wasnt made for grade school kids or teenagers, who was TLJ for? Star Wars fans? Nope.. they sort of hated it. Casual viewers? Maybe but it doesnt seem like it really hit there either. Idk.. maybe I'm too dumb to get it but the meta poo poo was sort of on the nose and not really insightful in my opinion. There is endless analysis of star wars as a franchise so I certainly dont want it from the franchise itself. Sort of misses the mark from all angles imo. Anyway that's my ted talk. thanks

yeah, thats also a problem it has, its up its own rear end and stupidly slow and really gently caress awful pacing outside some of the better parts. poe and finn/rose plot lines drag the plot down and are only their because of themes and poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gologle posted:

Anybody else think Christopher Lee was wasted?

yeah. he was he did nothing and than he died. dooku as character concept isnt bad and i like what the clone wars (and old eu) does with him but than he just dies and is never brought up again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dick wizard posted:

You thought you were going to see a fun popcorn movie that literal babies would enjoy? You fool. You loving idiot. This is a serious movie for grown ups and it's about being chased to death.
The pacing issue?
Intentional.
Unlikeable characters who are boring on screen?
Intentional.
Titty milking scene that's completely void of eroticism despite the sexually charged nature of the act?
Intentional.

Get better at watching movies about space wizards you loving dopes.

nah clearly its revolutionary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWqVJZMh6-w&t=1s i agree with the point about luke but the rose poo poo can gently caress off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

lol I didn't think about that, but it's true.

If Palpatine = Snoke then the combined series is definitely Palpatine's Story, and he is the only character that appears in every film.

i think snoke is gonna be some "rogue" servant or some poo poo or just some random jackass, either way palpy knew about him and let him gently caress around and used him as final test for kylo, like he tried to use vader for luke and dooku for anakin.

Gologle posted:

I...don't think he shows up at all in A New Hope? He is of course mentioned, but that's different from being seen.

nope. he is mentioned and lucas hadnt thought of him yet. also with ESB. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsDLIPVsic

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

every single one of those is worse than what they replaced

the 2nd one is ok enough. but the rest suck. the first one is dated as gently caress but it works.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Blistex posted:

The Mandalorian was another recycled western, but the Star Wars veneer makes me think I'm watching original content, and I'm fine with that. Bill Burr was really good at playing Bill Burr, as was Richard Ayoade (who didn't make it through the first sentence before I pickup up on it). Baby Yoda continues to be way too cute, and I'm hoping that Werner Hertzog has some sort of return for the last episode(s) so that we have some idea what BY was to be used for.

It's sort of funny how putting a sci-fi spin on Westerns, WWII, and Samurai movies makes for good star wars.

because star wars doesnt need to be deep. its space fantasy mixed with WW2, samurai and westerns. mandalorians good because its basicaly a western/samurai jack in space and he and baby yoda gently caress around from port to port making money and looking for a place to lie low and have weird adventures. it also sets up the universe post endor really well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Blistex posted:

/\ Did anyone ever find any "proof" that Snoke was supposed to make it to the end of the trilogy and be the main antagonist? Palpatine seems to be a tacked-on hail Mary play to win back fans.

I mentioned it before, but it seems that the writing pool studios use is getting smaller because they get tickets sold. It doesn't matter if the writing is good or not, as long as they play it safe. The fact that the guys who wrote dialogue for the Transformers still get work is proof enough.

sheeve is a tacked on hail mary. there was some intevew that came out a few days ago with ian mcdermid and he basicaly said they called him up one day after tlj and asked if he wanted to give it another go.

Chomp8645 posted:

Even in Nu-canon the Empire didn't immediately collapse after Endor. I don't know how long it's supposed to be between Endor and Jakku but the Empire is supposed to intact and mostly stable until at least that point.

sorta. basicaly most of the high command die at endor and the big fleet remnants get hosed up at jakku because of sheeves mad king bullshit. a bunch flee off to uknown regions and a ton throw down their weapons and join the senate and gently caress it up from the inside. also the mandalorian shows the empire sorta exists in bits and pieces in the outer rim.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I would assume most of them are leftovers who were serving under whatever General or Admiral or Moff decided to be Warlord of their little piece of the pie after it crumbled post-Endor.

Almost every source depicts them as hopelessly indocrinated to the point of brainwashing so when Imperial Territorial Marshal Dipshit McGee says "we will keep the Empire going here in the Ibaar system, the Emperor may be dead but the Empire is eternal" they salute and get back to their post.

old canon was full of that poo poo. the empire goes on for like another 10 or so years in different factions and such.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Emrikol posted:

It's really funny how the sudden revelation he somehow survived being betrayed by his apprentice makes his NuCanon "gently caress up the Empire as punishment for failing me" orders even more stupid than they already were.

who the gently caress knows. i am guessing force ghost or some poo poo.

Just Chamber posted:

https://twitter.com/ThinkHero/status/1206990402915459072?s=20

This seems to be the general consensus I'm seeing. The ones posted earlier saying its bad were cherry picked, there are plenty saying they loved it etc. Even If it's near TFA in terms of just fun adventure that doesn't hold up on second viewing I'll be happy.

sounds about right. the movie is gonna be a fun love letter and try to wrap up the story and move on to more stuff like the mandalorian.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 18, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

I mean, even as a kid watching ROTJ, far before even the prequels, I always had that "I didn't personally see that motherfucker die, he still around for sure." feeling about the Emperor. Also hasn't it been long established in both the old cannon and new cannon that Palpatine was adamant that there would be no one to succeed him and that if he wasn't immortal the Empire should die with him? Even in "Empire" Vader tells Luke that they're going to kill the Emperor and "rule the Galaxy as father and son" which I always took to mean Vader knew about the plans for Operation Cinder and understood that the only way he would be alive after the Emperor died was to kill the creepy old bastard first.

Also, goddamn Ian McDiarmid is creepy as gently caress in ROTJ

yeah. basicaly in old canon he floats off to byss and slowly starts building a stronger leaner empire and lets the chaff kill each other than comes back and fucks around and than gets smoked by han solo and his soul absorbed by a dying quadruple amputee.

new canon. he basically sets up a contingency that when/if he dies/killed, the empire will loving kill itself and take the rebels with them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

lol jesus christ.

lol. vader didnt know poo poo about poo poo. vader only cared about finding his kid and that was the only way he thought he could get in touch with him since it worked so well with his wife.

Julius CSAR posted:

Rey and Dark Rey are gonna be two separate individuals. Palpatine was obsessed with clones and cloning, and when Rey asks the force cave to see her parents, she only sees copies of herself.

My take on TFA: my favorite thing about the original trilogy is when it is "friends go on a big adventure together" so all the Rey and Finn stuff is really great to me.

honestly, id be ok with that. that rey is just some clone that got away or got its mind hosed up by programming.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

Palpatine revealed as a transgender icon in a brave move by Disney.

now i am just picturing some buffalo bill type poo poo but with ian mcdiarmid in full body make up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

He was even played by a woman in several scenes for a fun bit of trivia.

you mean the original ESB apperence?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I really loving hate the idea of Sheev having a "contingency plan" if that is how it ends up being framed. Like the entire loving point on both a material and thematic level of the final confrontation in Jedi is that Sheev eats poo poo and dies because he's too selfish and cynical to plan for a scenario in which Luke refuses to play ball and convinces Vader to do the same. He's so high on his own evil farts it legit never crosses his mind

i dont think its specifically about sheeve dying at endor. i think it was something he set up like years and years before as a deadman switch in case he ever died of old age or some rebel or imperial blew his brains out on the toilet or some jedi got lucky, or he fell down some stairs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheBizzness posted:

#jjabramsisoverparty is trending on twitter because the ending has leaked on reddit and everyone is furious (without having actually seen it, to be fair).

yeah, i saw parts of the leak. looks pretty loving dumb. that being said, i don't know full context and such.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Same with giving Yoda one. I saw AoTC in theaters and remember how cringeworthy it was when like 500 nerds nutted at that scene.

same. i know my mom cheered. but than again i was like 12.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hustlin Floh posted:

After seeing Knives Out I'm prepared to admit that Rian Johnson is a far better writer/director than JJ Abrams

i think he is too and i think TLJ was ok. i think the issue is a bunch of peoples faults. its the disney execs for not having a general outline, its JJ for going full mysterybox in tfa as well as playing to safe. rian hosed up being going to far in some areas and not far enough in others and breaking a bunch of the mystery boxes(which i am cool with but it didnt help) and basicaly making the movie more about themes than story. so than you have the final and your hosed either way you go with it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

Sure. Him being bitter old man is loving fine.

But the whole dream attack justification is bullshit. Make it so Kylo was aggressive in training and Luke goes to far in defending himself and you have something thats way more believable.

like i get what johnson was going for and i like luke for the most part in the movie. the whole "maybe i should kill my nephew" thread could be tweaked out better but i genuinly loved the whole finalle with him and kylo and it felt every in lukes character to trick the stupid fucker.

skasion posted:

It just kind of rehashes his transition from killer to peacemaker that the original movies already did. at the same time it portrays him as a dogmatist obsessed with old Jedi teachings, whereas in the original movies he’s the guy who clashes with dogma and reinterprets his masters’ teachings against their will. It’s odd.

does it though? i got more of it him just being done with it all, he was able to save his dad and than he sees it happening all over again and for one brief second thinks about ending it right there and because the force is a bitch, it fucks him over and now he is just hidding away.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

just got back. i thought it was ok and i had fun watching it. i put it on the same level as TFA. a fun cool looking movie that has too fast pacing and lots of dropped threads and poo poo that is never talked about or brought up. i am just glad its done.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tom Gorman posted:

My understanding is there wasn't any boning involved. Grandpa Ovaltine used the same space cum shooting method to produce his son, who is Reys dad. Who had an eye on the back of his head, and is named Triclops lol.

thats old canon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

true. idk i found it fun even if it was dumb as gently caress which makes it more enjoyable than TLJ at least. idk.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gianthogweed posted:

I was surprised at how large Leia's role in this film was. I had a feeling they were going to use a cgi Leia for a cameo or something, but she actually had a big part.

i was more surprised how good 3po was in it. i never cared for 3PO in all the movies but i found him funny in this one.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Kelly Marie Tran is really hot though. Too bad Rose is a pointless trash character who inexplicably derails Finn into a nothing plot.

she is cute, id agree with that and i want to like her charater and i didn't think she was bad in either movie but loving lol she was just there to state the themes over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

She genuinely does a very good job playing an unassured, dorky engineer trying to find her place in a hosed up galactic conflict, but like Rey, Finn, and Poe in TLJ, she has no good material to work with because that movie is really goddamn weird, man. That's the thing. They're all good actors with lots of charisma and chemistry with each other... yet so much wasted potential.

i thought poe and finn and rey had pretty good chemestry together in this movie. driver was good as he always is but he didnt do much. I liked the sequel trilogy as flawed as they all are(and they are pretty loving flawed) and i had fun watching this one. i did kinda cheer at the Wedge cameo.