Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I, meanwhile, will use my amazing people skills to negotiate an end to any tension without excessive bloodshed. :agesilaus:

Failing that, I'll probably run with red team but voted for blue in the poll because I figured red team was going to run away with the vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't want to kill the other houses characters

I want to kill all the other houses' characters.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Mysticblade posted:

Could just be empty talk but this gives me a good feeling much like everything about this game.

They say that, but then they also brought six characters back for Fates and gave three of them their own DLC so I'm not entirely convinced.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Tae posted:

...Wait, is everyone just going to play one route this whole time here

Hey, I'll play all the routes.

...and probably burn out before I finish any route but hopefully I actually pull it off this time.

And also maybe get around to finishing Birthright too.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
So, seriously, what the gently caress does 'Chaos' mean? I read the thread, I know it's an SMT reference (for some reason when Tactics Ogre is -right there-), but I can't tell which BE route you all are referring to at a glance and I'm trying my best to avoid spoilers since the writing is actually pretty good for once. Is that the following Edelgard route or not?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

It means siding with Edelgard over the church.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

It's the one where you side with Edelgard, yes.
In order to unlock it, you need to be in the Black Eagles house and talk to Edelgard in February, immediately before the timeskip. She'll ask you to go on a trip with her, it'll throw up some very big "THIS WILL CHANGE THE STORY" warnings. At the end of the next battle (ie end of February) the game will give you another choice; this, too, throws up a big "THIS WILL CHANGE THE STORY" warning. Normally there's only one option, but going on Edelgard's little errand opens up the second one. Either way, it's kinda an obvious choice so as long as you remember to talk to Edelgard you should be fine.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. I wanted to talk about the plot and didn't want to assume which path is which and barf out spoilers for another route.

Since I went with Edelgard and went Law anyway. I really like that route. Unfortunately I didn't keep up with the pre-release hype and tricked myself into thinking there would be similar 'law' routes for the Lions and Deer, the fact that there aren't is mildly disappointing, but I generally like what I got anyway.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Fire Emblem, you were doing so good with the minimal fanservice, only to fumble at the end game.

I probably should've seen it coming when I S-ranked Dorothea, I guess.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Wanderer posted:

I wonder if there's something genuinely hosed up with how critical hits work in this version of the game. They do seem to be popping up way more often than the numbers would indicate.

In my Blue Lions NG+ round Annette has never not crit and her max crit rate so far is like 8%.

She has stolen so many kills.

Speaking of NG+ I am already drowning in tea leaves when does tea time open back up? I feel like they should open up all the things you do with time when you start a New Game.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

edelgard is for

being killed, like any other Fire Emblem Antagonist would be :unsmigghh:

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
They really should just make a Fire Emblem fighting game at this point.

Like Pokken but with actual post-release support.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
My esteem of Seteth rose during the Church route because I felt he worked OK being Byleth's Dedue/Hubert equivalent.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

if you were playing Classic Mode the graveyard would be perfect for a short blurb on the people who you let die

you monster

Classic Mode nothing, the graveyard should have blurbs for when you kill enemy students, especially ones who were friends of the random students you recruit (Annette, Mercedes for an example)

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Augus posted:

Edelgarde is a traitor and a jerk

:D

fadam posted:

I'm digging the Church route a lot so far, but if I have one complaint its that whenever you're given a dialogue choice to talk about Edelgard, all the responses seem to position you as somewhat reluctant to fight her. She's the worst and I want the game to acknowledge my righteous indignation with her!!

Yeah this.

I had a similar time going through the Church route. I didn't care to rescue Rhea, all I cared about is putting Edelgard in a shallow grave for starting a pan-continent war and the large number of times she's put the Black Eagle House in danger.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Oh, goodie, this is starting again.

To be fair, there is a spoiler thread where the OP literally states 'here we can argue about Edelgard', but no one seems to use it.

EDIT: Actually I'm gonna move all my stuff to the spoiler thread, mostly because I don't think there's a solid consensus about what's a spoiler or not.

Airspace fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 14, 2019

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Yinlock posted:

can someone stop ingrid

i know i reset a couple times so she'd gain 2 strength in your first 8 levels but uh she then proceeded to gain strength every single level afterwards

what have i created

In my current Blue Lions run literally no one can stop Ingrid since she had ridiculous def and res.

Well okay bosses can but that's why I have any one of Byleth Dimitri or Sylvain for.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I wish tea time was unlocked early in NG+.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Go into your menu and hit L, like you would if you wanted to end the explore phase early.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Weekly reminder: The Spoiler Thread exists.

Yinlock posted:

also the "why don't you just surrender and do whatever the invaders want, this is on u" argument is dumb

Also this.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

But I'll think you'll find that you, personally, side with one of the lords, who are all literally hitler

So you're saying the Church route is best? Seems legit.

Then again I guess that then makes Byleth literally hitler, so that checks out.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

You side with rhea, the rare double hitler

But Rhea's kind of gone most of the route, it is hard for her to be double hitler when she's not there.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Everyone's fav did everything wrong.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Or pi hitlers.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Augus posted:

The story of this game would be a lot better if the ancient cult of immortal baby-eaters didn’t exist and Thales was just another corrupt noble

I'm actually going to go farther and say that, along with the Slitherers, Rhea should have been a minor character, at best, and the conflict should have been about, y'know, the titular Three Houses. Instead it's One House vs. the Church and maybe a Second, while the Third House is a super-minor player even in its own route.

(yes I am aware it's not called Three Houses in Japan).

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Andrast posted:

what the hell, Rhea is one of the best characters in the game and a fantastic bad guy

If anything, the deers are what should have been cut

I mean, I agree on everything here, but it's kind of silly that of Three Houses only one of them matters.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
The game failed to convince me that the Slitherers were actually a threat to Fodlan.

That said given that (2nd part spoilers) Edelgard allied herself freely to ...uh, the people who tortured her? it's dumb that the resolution was oh the game is over and we dealt with them off screen yay.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Except for Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn and FE6/7

And FE 1/2/3 as well as FE 4/5.

I'm surprised they've stopped.

That said I'm unsure what they could do to sequelize the game, since there are three endings.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Basileus777 posted:

The real awkward thing about Silver Snow is the Black Eagle students sticking with you for no real reason.

There's plenty of reason for them sticking with Byleth (specifically Byleth) and not Edelgard.

Edelgard is Queen of Not Telling People Anything. The moment she invades the tombs, her classmates are all in constant states of 'WTF?' since her deciding to kick off a war and invade a tomb came out of nowhere. Edelgard doesn't give anyone time to really think about anything and kicks people out the door if she even thinks they might go against her. One of Ferd's early lines in SS is that he basically lived as a fugitive up until the first timeskip mission.

Some BE characters (Lindhart) have little to no reason, but Ferdinand, Dorothea, Bernie, Petra, and Caspar have some reason. Especially since she tells none of them what's coming. What they should've done is have some BE members disappear and fight against Team Byleth, like Ashe and Lorenz do if you recruit them outside of their main houses.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

then why are they all cool with her

I'm... not debating that part?

I'm debating the 'no reason to go against Edelgard' part. They have good reasons to work with her, they also have good reason to stand against her if they do.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Eh, in the Eagles route she pretty explicitly tells you she's just here for the rocks and to just hang around till she's finished. It's only really the game forcing you (because they couldn't shorten the route anymore and needed to reuse the level) to attack her that makes the situation violent. That whole level really should have had the choice to help/oppose Edelgard before the map and have a reverse version like the Monastery attack did where you grab crest stones and fight church soldiers.

There's something to be said about the other named character she brings along that really, really wants to kill you.

I agree with your last sentence, though.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I only really recruit the teachers and Alois, as someone who appreciates Dad Jokes. And I figure he'd want to stick by Byleth.

Except now my plan is to recruit Bernadetta in every route, because Bernie's treatment through AM is terrible. Sorry that Edelgard set your platform on fire! And extremely sorry that Edelgard repays your senseless sacrifice by letting your dad back into the club. That last one was so terrible it wrapped around to being hilarious.

Junpei Hyde posted:

just lmao if you dont strategically plan your recruitments to ensure as many sad pre fight convos as possible

This will be my next run. :unsmigghh:

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Airspace, is it worth doing Silver Snow?

Do you
- Enjoy Seteth a lot, up to and possibly including the memey Seteth?
if so, then
- Have you done Verdant Wind?
if you have not, then
enjoy Silver Snow

Personally it ended almost perfectly for my tastes, the terrible dragon Pope and the terrible warmonger both die. Best of both worlds.

(Also I learned that Ctrl-I italicizes stuff in a post, if you take anything from my post, there it is)

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Zoran posted:

If you really like Seteth, there’s a Seteth-related paralogue exclusive to Verdant Wind

Huh, interesting. I'll check it out when I pick back up my playthrough of VW.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Leal posted:

Imagine picking the house with Edelgard in it and NOT choosing to side with her.

Pretty easy to do, I think!

But yeah Edelgard's route being blocked behind an easy to miss event is terrible.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Eimi posted:

Except Edelgard explicitly gives up power. She's a revolutionary.

Not before placing all her friends in the exact position their fathers held and giving them all their land back.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

not a bot posted:

How about all the lord are shitbirds and no matter who ends up winning the continent is going to the dogs?

This. Edelgard even demonstrates in the very first mission!

That said no opinion is wrong, except for the ones who think it's bad writing for characters to not join Edelgard. Everyone in the BE house has good reason to go 'you know, Edelgard is wrong'. Conversely, everyone not of the BE house has good reason to join Edelgard if you recruit them. Strength of character writing, right there.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Tae posted:

Edelgard is Cao Cao. Ultimately the victor, but questionable as a "Hero" even in their most glorious viewing of Three Kingdom media.

Ultimately the victor, you say.

I have real bad news about Hubert's grandson. Possibly also Hubert.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Shinji117 posted:

At least Edelgard steps down as "tyrant" a la Cincinnatus after trying to implement required-for-Fodlan-social-reforms

...After putting Ferdinand and Caspar in the positions their fathers held and giving anyone who wanted their land back (Ingrid, for instance), and then when she steps down she handpicks her own successor.

Reforms, yeah.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

McTimmy posted:

Oh, and incidentally Cythreal, you're actually agreeing with Fojar on some of your points.

You know where that leads.

Shutting down discussion because a person shitposts elsewhere is kind of dumb.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

McTimmy posted:

Fojar shitposted in this thread though.

Everyone shitposts in this thread, though. It's like a rite of passage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Shinji117 posted:

People should stop falling over and over again for Cythereal's bait.

Except being 'anti-war' is a completely valid stance to take?

Because it is.