Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
woo hoo, new thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

aers posted:

That's all well and good but here's what the framerate limiter does to my FPS

So I really hope they've fixed the implementation.

I make no assumptions about your system, but found that FFXIV really freaks the gently caress out when you set an FPS limiter at the driver level, and then also set one in-game.

In my case, it was NVidia's thing that they lock behind a login, but gently caress logging in to GFE just for that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rand Brittain posted:

When are we supposed to be able to start the download?

Don't expect it any time soon, go do other poo poo, check back like, 10 PM PST.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
MCH AF2 goggles work and /visor on Hrothgar, according to a handy pubbie in shout chat.

Based on names, it is now time to find out whether or not Hrothgar slavsquat for a /groundsit. :unsmiggh:

SettingSun posted:

A designated off tank class would be awful. Who wants to play second fiddle out of anything but necessity?

I mean, uh. 2nd tank is 1st DPS, basically. Just look at Bears in WoW for the entire TBC -> WOTLK era. (though, that said, I *do* get what you're saying. I got shoved into the offtank spot because I was one of the uh... less-mentally-deficient people in my static, and got to be the person that did all the mechanics, instead of actually tanking.)

edit: and I'm not using that as a euphemism, I mean, actually, mentally-deficient. One of the DPS was the MT's ex-husband, who managed to successfully hide the fact that he was completely redpilled until AFTER they got married, and that on top of believing in saving himself for marriage, that he only believed in reproductive sex. And he would loving stand in every single goddamn loving puddle.

edit edit: And parse near the bottom all of the time.

edit edit edit: coincidentally or not, as a Retadin. You can draw your own conclusions.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 28, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/c6jg2h/qol_sound_finally_comes_through_headset_if/?st=jxgko7fc&sh=c97afa03

Apparently, the sound programmer rebuilt the game so that it doesn't crash when you plug in new sound devices? (Yoshida mad.)

Also, question: Is the dwarf area front half of the game, or the back half?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Philonius posted:

Square Enix, please give overhaul monk animations to copy

Ran'jit. Kung fu master dodging with both hands behind his back will never stop being insanely cool.

Disappointed they didn't opt to name him Maat instead. =(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kaubocks posted:

starting a petition to give me an option to turn the TP bar back on even if it does nothing just because the screen feels empty without it

Do what I did, put your other gauges in its place.

Now, if only they would split the HP and MP bars up so that I can hide the MP bar on jobs that have absolutely zero use for them.

Internet Explorer posted:

So the wife and I are considering playing this, but looking at the Free Trial it seems like one of the limitations is you can't invite people to parties? Should we just get the base game on Steam (Starter Edition?) and then buy the latest expansion if we get that far?

[Edit: lol can't copy/paste password to create account in the launcher or on their site fffffffffffffffffffff]

Bless you for asking first, but knowing my luck, by the time you read this, you will have already regged accounts using the Steam version.

You're locked into buying all your future expansions through Steam, and can never take advantage of the steeply ramping discounts that happen shortly before and after an expansion launch.

Furthermore, it has been indicated by the devs in the future (and through datamined login strings) that current Steam-purchased copies of the game will be forced to log in to Steam in order to fire up the launcher to punch in your password and authenticator code.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Fat_Cow posted:

Hey Loreguys. Why does Urianger talk the way he does?

You know that kid that pronounces words weird because he's never heard them spoken, only read them in books?

Expand that out to all of the old ancient musty tomes written in Ye Olde Eorzean ever until adulthood, and that's Urianger.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 20, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kwyndig posted:

So does Urianger talk like a character from samurai dramas in Japanese or is this one of those changes for localization?

Last I heard he was far more straightforward, but there has been a desire expressed by the JP contingent that they would like a more interesting treatment overall of the entire game a la EN.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Games > The MMO HMO > FINAL FANTASY XIV: Shadowbringers: Headpats Is Some Powerful poo poo

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 2, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truth Quark posted:

It saddens me that even if you teleport to the Source when you're a ticking time bomb waiting to turn into a lightwarden that the game can't actually acknowledge it. It would have really cool to see people react to that particular circumstance but I understand why its basically not possible. :(

I suspected this would be a plot beat in some shape or fashion, good to see my instincts for detecting Ascian plots weren't far off.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The bigger crime is that it happened while I was in the middle of taking screenshots, goddamnit.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 4, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's my fault, guys, I looked at the Excal market board and saw that people were selling the 78 HQ crafted axe for something like eight times vendor NQ, got mad, remembered that World Visit is a thing, figured out how to do that, and then went and ransacked every other server on our datacenter for cheapo PLD swords to get my BSM desynth over the hump. I think I walked away with something like 50 of them from 15K to 20K apiece.

(also got me a smashy hammer! Which I was in the process of taking screenshots using just before the servers went kablooey)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Annath posted:

Like, how John Madden we talking? Wrath-era Feral Druid?

E:

Let's be clear here, as one of those aforementioned Wrath-era Feral Druids that also did Hybrid Feral on top of everything else, I think Feral's complexity was vastly overblown, and I'm certain that 90% of actual Feral players just yukked it up and rolled with the external perception for pride and shits and giggles.

The meme seems to have taken on a life of its own though, but really, a lot of MMO jobs can be reduced to the same "make sure these these self-buffs are rolling, make sure these debuffs are rolling, and if X happens ahead of time because of procs, dump to Y before returning to the core loop".

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 4, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Zoig posted:

why did nobody tell me warriors got a hammer too.

Only been sperging about it every chance I get.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Nodosaur posted:

Is Eulmore keeping the people in their territory reliant on coming to Gatetown? I'm doing Alphinaud's quest first and something here doesn't smell right.

:getin: :unsmiggh:

Kerrzhe posted:

so after finishing up Il Mheg i was pretty excited to get an amaro mount, and since i didn't get it during the MSQ or anything i figured it was gonna be a beast tribe reward

but no

that's every combat job to level 80

gently caress you yoship

Oh no, not going to get the amaro mount *right away*, it'll just have to be a long-term expansion-long endeavour instead.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
MSQ ending spoilers: DRK can get hosed, WAR actually the hero job this expansion. Tomahawk OP.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kerrzhe posted:

now i get to listen to titania's music all the time :allears:

Oh poo poo, primal mounts look fantastic.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Tried the 71 dungeon as an AST, I ran out of buttons on the first double pull, and had to resort to just mainlining Benefic IIs into the tank with them hovering just above 10%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FjWe31S_0g

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

There are some beds that only potatoes can get to. /dozing in them results in these new animations. Thanks to Yapping Eevee for help recording them.

Also, bandwagonposting:

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Was this on Reddit or something? I'd be interested in poking through those results

Please be aware that this is a Japanese translation of English reddit poll results. It's a nice graph, but yeah, NA/EU, not JP polling.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I've been having better luck with Nocturnal Sect in dungeons now, oddly enough. Don't really like it and I'd like to go back to diurnal, but when I swapped over suddenly tanks weren't getting chunked anymore.

Just don't forget aspected benny costs twice as much for noct.

orz

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 8, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Explored the dwarf area to my heart's content, burned the Fantasia I'd chugged a month earlier.

Man in a corset alert:

Ka mate! Ka mate!

Ka ora! Ka ora!

Edit: You know what I feel like when I'm running around as a Hrothgar? Like when I was playing an Orc back in WoW. I'm starting to think that SE might actually be onto something with the differentiated body types here.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 9, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Leofish posted:

Your Hrothgar looks a lot like mine, but I went Helion instead of Lost. I honestly felt the same way about the Orc thing. Kinda nostalgic, in a way. With green skin options, I considered making the closest facsimile to my old Orc Warrior as I could, but I ended up sticking with the old lion look. I'm still not 100% sold on him yet.

I've played as Elezen for most of my time on this game, with a brief transition to Miqo'te that I rather enjoyed, but it's kind of strange to be so w i d e. It's got me rearranging all of my glams that don't work as well anymore. The Hingan merchant's haori looks abysmal on Hrothgar, but the Filibuster tank coat, which was too puffy on my elf, looks amazing on my man cat.

Like, holy poo poo, the Hrothgar body model is one thiccccc bih. I like the way he moves and emotes and sounds, (voice 1 for this old fart, 9 for the younger version of him) but all my glamour were originally made for a Roegadame, and so many of them are just not suitable for the new bodytype.

Also, he can't wear big doofy hats, which is like, half my AST glamour, so that's a severe disappointment.

Azubah posted:

Elidibus was the "reasonable" one, correct?

Sure. The same way that Thanos's proposition to every planet was portrayed as reasonable in the movie.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 9, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Do pugilists/monks get an actual fist weapon?

Like a gauntlet of some sort, or is it all knuckles and stab-knuckles?

Sephirot weapons kind of split the difference. Garo weapons are glowy runes on the backs of fists, there are more but I can't remember.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mordiceius posted:

One thing I haven't seen discussed at all in this thread is...

How the gently caress are we going to get the Scions back to the Source?

I'm assuming that's going to be the focus of 5.1/5.2?

As SE has demonstrated, they tend to wrap up their story by x.3, so they can start laying the groundwork for the next expansion.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

I'm really curious what the other bosses in the Eden raid will be. I wonder if they'll all be FF8 based.

There is datamined poo poo out there that exposes what the bosses are, if you are the kind to go looking for spoilers.

aers posted:

The music for both the post-MSQ dungeons is sick.

The Twinning being a capstone to the "how the gently caress did they manage time travel" storyline is really good. It feels like bonus MSQ far more than most (any?) of the previous x.0 dungeons.

I've had the music playing on loop for the past hour now. So good.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

tithin posted:

I've picked this up again after not playing since pre-heavensward.

If I'm up to "Lady Iceheart" (god alone knows who this could be??) how far along the MSQ am I?

You're about to hit the part where the story improves in quality, and starts a never-ending climb.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

aers posted:

I want to change a bunch of stuff but I'm too lazy to actually do it.

Square minimap is a texture mod before anyone asks.

C'mon man, if you know we're gonna ask, you know we're also gonna ask for a link. Holy poo poo, link plz.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

tithin posted:

I'm not sure what just happened in the MSQ, it's years behind but I know I'm not the only one playing through MSQ for the first time

So wait, I'm not the warrior of light anymore? Did Midgardsormr just sever my link to Hydaelyn or did he just straight up murder her? that whole "all the crystals blink out" bit was a tad concerning in its ambiguity

Unfortunately, the EN localization is too flowery for its own good. Going to the JP script, we can see that:

* Midgardsormr and Hydelyn are well-acquainted with eachother, and even appear to be on equal terms with eachother.
* Death does not appear to affect Midgardsormr the way that it does other things.
* Hydelyn's is under some major hurt keeping you buffed all this time.
* Hydelyn cuts a deal with Midgardsormr: Watch over the sprout WoL, and you can suck down a bunch of aether from my blessing and/or leech it from the WoL.
* Midgardsormr is unconvinced of your actual worthiness, so on top of all that, and making himself a new body out of the consumed aether, he caps you off from Hydelyn. If you're worthy, you'll start powering your plot armor by yourself, instead of relying on crystalmom's flagging battery.
* So Mini-gardsormr's gonna watch, and you'll have to keep playing to find out the consequences.

Varance posted:

That's a spoiler that won't be fully answered until the end of Shadowbringers.

Massive spoiler, don't click until you've finished ShB MSQ: Without getting to far into the why, your player character predates Hydaelyn and was tempered/split into 14 souls during the sundering. The crystals are representative of WoL's other selves from the aether-flooded shards destroyed in past calamities. Middy manages to lock them away for a bit.

That's not even remotely close, my dude.

edit: Oh gently caress, there was an entire other page and a half of posts. ==;

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking of Warring Triad: any hints towards what the Primal/Trial series will be for ShB?

The Four Old Men. :getin:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

I don't know how people Fantasia their WoL because at this point I'm so attached to my character that I can't even change his hairstyle without feeling like something is wrong.

I envy your power to not be emotionally attached to a specific arrangement of video game pixels that doesn't even look all that special.

Honestly? I fault the ability to have all the jobs on one character. Sometimes, the jobs just don't always look convincingly-animated for what I play. (I also always gently caress around with Fantasias at the end of each expansion to amuse myself during the doldrums, but that's separate to the other thing) At any rate, observe, the many faces of this particular WoL:

Highlady through all of ARR, catboy on the backend of ARR leading into HW.

(These two did not last more than a week, each. They really put the waif into waifu, and I couldn't get over that run.)

My roegadame, which I have THE MOST TIME spent, through all of HW and SB. Also, when I learned to use ReShade. Also, when I forced myself to start taking more screenshots. Surprisingly, all animations work well for them, from NIN to WAR. My only complaint is that some of the generic female combat idle animations are overly dainty. But that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make to get one of the better flying chair sits.

The potato I spent the last few months of SB as, and through all of MSQ, because I wanted to be able to explore the potato-only areas. I was underwhelmed, and unless they add more in the future, not worth going potato for the sake of it. Tanking as a potato is amusing.

Ka mate, ka mate! ka ora! ka ora!

What I fantasiaed to Monday night. Holy poo poo Hrothgar are dummy thicc, and I can't buy him doing the healer or MCH thing. Absolutely a race that I would only ever play as tank/melee DPS/specific casters. Unless the Hrothgar naming conventions come out soon, I'm probably going to pop one of my last two Fantasias to detour through Viera on my way back to Roegadame.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 11, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

This is why I play a human. I want to play a Roe, but it seems to weird to be a WHM. I want to be a Lalafell, but it would feel off to play War.

So i just play a human.

For me, the only constant is that I play WAR. I have other problems with WHM that make me not want to play it. Like, I physically get angry whenever I play WHM, because of how easy it is to heal on that job, but all the lovely healers are inexorably pulled to it.

Also, drat, I editted right after, but you caught me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bremma posted:

The names were datamined out from the character creator a few days after release.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yoEdGJeN-2MpguxdsZD95e4FrkqGhYh1s6btqZmfNBU/edit?usp=drivesdk

I used that to help settle on Azmir Azorya for my catman. Prior I was a Roegadame called Wilfwyb Thosinloefwyn so I'm always all in on the lore appropriate names.

I am enjoying my cat man though!

Also he pulls off the mascot head styles well, even if my friends hate all of these glamors.

Apparently making the frog and chocobo head talk with /visor is 'creepy' and unsettling'.

Ah, last time I saw that spreadsheet, it didn't have the headers. Still, I would like the criteria, no sense in picking a name that sounds like it might be, but turns out to be from too far over the border towards Russia or something.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You're gonna have to be more specific, dude.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BisterdDave posted:

I usually try to say hi at least, but using a controller to type in the chat is frustrating sometimes. This game is really making me want to build a PC.

It is possible to plug in a keyboard or use a wireless keyboard if it has its own dongle. You can even play the game with the keyboard!

He's not wrong. If you're scared shitless out of your mind, and El Presidente holds up a beacon of hope that might involve you committing seppuku, you might let your fear take over and drive you towards that with the thought that anything, even death, is better than facing the the various horrors created by wildly out-of-control creation magics.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 12, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Eternal Wind from FF3 does, in fact, play rather prominently in this expansion.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

DrNutt posted:

So uh, not even to HW yet but the Domans have shown up, and I gotta ask, is there anything that connects this Doma with FF6 or is it just a straight up reuse of the name?

FFXIV is a love letter to all previous Final Fantasies.

Just like every other Final Fantasy, to some extent or another, but since it's an MMO, there's a lot more of it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Nuebot posted:

:shepface: In my desire for all the pets and such possible I'm faced with the sightseeing log. I'm looking over this thing and oh boy is this going to be rough. I found one earlier but apparently you can only activate it at 8AM to 12PM server time if it's cloudy. So I guess that's going to be a long term goal.

I have noticed a fun thing, any time I'm running about and find someone else riding a fat chocobo we almost always stop and just stare at one another before going on our way. The secret kinship of fat birds I guess.

This weather -> real world time calculator may help you. Unfortunately, it is not yet updated for Shadowbringers, but for all the rest of those ones with stupid weather requirements (which I believe are exclusively ARR anyways?) it will serve just fine.

https://super-aardvark.github.io/weather/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 14, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

In case anyone was wondering what the Hrothgar flying armchair sit looks like.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jul 14, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BisterdDave posted:

Love starting a dungeon for the first time and seeing someone say that they haven't ran it in years. Is it really that uncommon to roll ARR dungeons?

Could just as well be that they haven't touched LLDR since the last time they levelled a job.