Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Oh, it's back.

Well i gotta say this game is probably one of the worst cases of blind hype i have ever seen. Can't think of a game that even comes close to this amount of straight devotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Quavers posted:

:toot: New space ship available for everyone to buy :shepspends:

gently caress me, are you serious

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Are they still doing that thing where when a patch comes out, it basically redownloads the entire game from scratch?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I am still waiting for hall monitor gameplay. There are far too many people running in the hallways and I can't stand it :mad:

What happens if the offender phases through the hallway? Is it a cautionary tale?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have asked this question in the GBS thread and i will ask it here. how the gently caress do these still buy into this game, in the best case situation, roberts and his team are gonna make broken and super unfocused MMO game that you could play on gmod servers. at worst, its a loving scam. it know its sunk cost mixed with sad nerds but wtf.

The reason why this has been covered so long is because this project defies all logic.

There's a couple of "big" names that are no longer with their respective companies that made them and their work famous and started kickstarters for their own projects. You got Keiji Inafune of Mega Man fame (whole different can of worms on that one) with Mighty No.9, Koji Igarashi of Castlevania:Symphony of the Night fame and really any castlevania you can enjoy playing, Yu Suzuki of Shenmue fame, Julian Gollop of XCOM fame, etc, etc, etc.

Chris Roberts has managed to tap into the same energy of nostalgia to get his project funded. The difference between him and the rest of the people i mentioned before (the exception of Keiji Inafune) is that the rest of the gallery had a plan and knew when to stop.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hey now, that's not fair! They sell ground vehicles that don't work as well.

Fun fact - Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z was also his fault. He even came up with the character for Yaiba.

Holy poo poo, I completely forgot about Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. Why the gently caress were there zombies in the game again?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Well, if we're going across the board, then really we can no longer make fun of Chris Roberts looking like a human thumb.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was watching Jim Sterling's video on Shenmue 3 today, and it struck me how similar the whole debacle is to Star Citizen. In fact, Shenmue's $7 million in crowdfunding seems downright quaint in comparison to SC's now $250+ million.

Shemmue is the waterworld of videogames...Kevin Costner was in waterworld...

Chris Roberts was sued into near Oblivion by Kevin Costner.

There has to be a link

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 2, 2019

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

trucutru posted:

Once Flight Simulator is released not even the most tojalesque backer will be able to deny it. Scale? that's a real sized planet, not a tiny toy one like in SC.

The difference of quality is large enough to overcome self-delusion. That poo poo looks unreal.

"It's made by Micro$oft, meanwhile CIG was built from scratch! CIG is the ambitious INDIE!"

They'll find a reason. No matter how awful and nonsensical it can be.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The video with Chris playing his own game was surreal. It was almost straight out of a comedy bit

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think other than Shovel Knight and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, most of these Kickstarters have been pretty disappointing right?

Most recent examples being Phoenix Point and Shenmue 3.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Spiderdrake posted:

Are nebula even that dense?

Don't know but i know something much denser

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This thread had some posts showing off hellion before it released right?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I made a post awhile back about seemingly failed kickstarters and was rebuked by plenty of great examples.

Thinking about it some more I was primarily focused on video games that we're headed by a known name in the industry. If we use this criteria, the only one I can think of would be Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained?

I personally played this one and had a shitload of fun and felt that it was worth the wait. It had regular updates, a side mini game that is an actual game and it's basically Castlevania 3 with modern mechanics.

Who else is on the list of popular industry developers and producers?

Keiji Inafune's Mighty No. 9 was pretty disappointing, with it's legendary mismanagement being more interesting than the game itself.

Julian Gollop of X-Com Fame's Phoenix Point, same thing.

Yu Suzuki's Shenmue 3 just makes me want to play Yakuza instead.

Richard Garriot's Shroud of the Avatar has already been covered here and in the MMO thread, it's a horribly mismanaged flop.

I'm sure there is a name or two I missed but they can't hold a candle to star citizen.

The cream of the crop is Chris Roberts,who accidentally turned the game into a religion for it's fans and only had concepts and demos desguised as already functional mechanics in a video game and people fell for it. Hell, I almost fell for it back in early 2013.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Bofast posted:

You can add the spiritual sequel to the Space Quest series to the list of sort-of known devs who disappointed. It's not even finished, as far as I know, and it should have been done years ago.

I also grew up playing the space quest series! I remember that one, "Two guys from Andromeda".

What the hell happened to it?

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 3, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So it's so transparent that you have to be in the business to understand what they are doing?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Agony Aunt posted:

You clearly don't understand TV series devleopment.

Also: torrents.

Hack the planet y'all

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Donkey brains

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Scruffpuff posted:

On the subject of space games, I just picked up Homeworld Remastered. I can't believe I missed this for over two decades. What the gently caress is it with older games having so much cool poo poo going on? This isn't rose-colored glasses, either - my Steam library, and all other libraries, are filled with games from all over the map, including new poo poo. I grab this thing and it's immediately grabbing me with tons of story, systems to learn, and it's obvious I'm going to get my rear end handed to me handily. Yet I feel compelled to rise to the challenge.

It seems these kinds of games are now relegated to indie devs, and AAA studios are going after tried and true formulas, the same disease Hollywood suffers from. Wait a minute, am I suggesting that following a Hollywood approach results in bad games? That can't be right...

Have you ever played the Free space series?
I'd much rather talk about space games worth a gently caress

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
FUDdy duddies

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

UnknownTarget posted:

Goddamn this stupid thing is still going.

Pretty good thread title I think. Simple and to the point

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay. So. A couple of questions.

Does the survival and food meter still deplete while taking part in the supposed main focus of this game, which would be loving flying in space? The one part they still have yet to nail down? Maybe crawl before you walk on this one?

Two, okay so let's say that you gotta have at least something in your system every 7 hours. Real time or sped up? Let's say it's every hour. Can this loving game even have a play session lasting longer than an hour? Or is it one of those "when it leaves alpha it will!"?

Three, if you die a sudden horrible death due to the physics engine, does this meter reset? If so, would it be easier to just die than to feed yourself?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

colonelwest posted:

But, I’m always left scratching my head over why a company of 500, given 8 years and 300 million dollars can’t pump out a modern Wing Commander homage.

This is the key question and the key answer is the man in charge didn't want to provide just an homage.

One very common "positive" that Star Citizen fans love to mention is the Ambition. Failing every other mumbo jumbo bullshit reason, like subsumption, refactoring, The Ambition is and has always been the ultimate excuse.

The Kickstarter that regenerated interest in space flight, acquiring some people from crytek, it's not an additional donation, it's a pledge for something bigger. The money leftover is so huge he could bring actors he used to work with or wanted to work with.

From the outsider perspective, They have the people now, they have the money and the talk shows as "transparency". They have a working space door, and ten grand espresso machine.

Nothing lasts forever though, most of us have seen or called it years ago, but at the rate they are going, eventually that outlook will change from a plucky developer with a chance given by the people, to a Chuaua barking away, pretending to be innovative, all the while the Goodwill, much like the actual money, has been grossly squandered away.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 16, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Dear god, I remember reading a post several years back about a poster saying he owned an 890j and would like to bet/gamble on live matches played from his space yacht and watch them.

Is it a draw if the matches he bets on go to poo poo within the first few seconds and both crash to desktop?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I got behind in the thread and had to skip a bunch of posts. Are Sandi and the Crobbler really splitting up?

So that means he’s single...? :pervert:

Haven't been following this for months. is this real?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

deep dish peat moss posted:

did anyone say Occam's Fundraiser yet?

No but i like it

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Hav posted:

How much research can you do on utter speculation?

Oh hey, a game that exists

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Inacio posted:

they updated it:

Okay? So does that still mean that there are no new things on the roadmap?

Sounds like maybe somebody looked at this:

Quavers posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/17608-Roadmap-Roundup-May-15th-2020

Roadmap Roundup
Happy Friday, everyone!

Each and every week, we accompany the Roadmap update with a brief explanatory note to give you insight into the decision-making that led to any changes. This is part of an effort to make our communications more transparent, more specific, and more insightful for all of you who help to make Star Citizen and Squadron 42 possible.

-CIG Community Team

Notable Changes for May 15th, 2020
There are no notable changes to the Roadmap this week.

And then someone over there thought that maybe that looks like they don't give a gently caress. Better let someone try to sugarcoat it

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Time_pants posted:

Oh my God

This game has been in prepre-alpha for so long that smiley is actually loving retro.

It's missing those three .Gifs of Senator Armstrong loving raiden up on the signature

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Quavers posted:

:reddit: A dev spawned an Idris on a live server

:ohdear: Maybe it's the angle but doesn't it look small?

Why am I getting Homer car vibes from this exchange?

I thought the Idris was a capital ship?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Oh i see, this is a Nat Geo video on how to engage in commerce

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

So goddamn delusional.

They were screwed from the very beginning signing up to do the crytek deal, they could've done something with a much better engine

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The hell does CCU mean?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
It looks like Outer Worlds.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Who the hell is Eddie parr?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

DOMDOM posted:

I can't tell if that is serious or not.

Help

It's not. The original one was for Rick & Morty, that's just a copypasta.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This discussion stemmed from how delusional backers are saying this game is revolutionary in every single aspect, especially graphics.

The moment they took that deal with Crytek to USE Cryengine (because they seemingly had no other options) this project was doomed. They wanted a good presentation and they sure as poo poo got it at the cost of using an old resource hog of an engine that is not designed for space games at all

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought that Squadron 42 took a back seat by most backers because the persistent universe of star citizen was considered more interesting?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

ggangensis posted:

I've just watched a gameplay video* of Renegade X, a remake of C&C Renegade using UE3. Looks pretty nice for a fan project and reminded me that comparing SC or ToW to a mod is an insult to modders. The level of amateurishness and incompetence from CIG is really a thing of its own and I tend to forget that Indies or Hobbyists release more stable and polished stuff these days. And if a mod project fails, well, I'm pretty sure most modders haven't scammed ~250 million dollars out of their users.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJK19FQqO78

First off, I'm glad EA stopped dicking around with the IP and let Petroglyph studios (founded by ex-westwood employees after Ea dissolved them) work on C&C Remastered. It is absolutely worth it.

Second,I completely missed Renegade X when it first came out. I played the poo poo out of the original one, and this team's dedication is pretty inspiring.

poo poo let's not forget about mods and games that did so well and were so impressive and they became legitimate purchasable games, like Counterstrike, Day of defeat, Insurgency, Red Orchestra, Black Mesa.

Star Citizen on the outside had everything it could possibly hope for. A dedicated fanbase, a long drought of space games, a deal and backing of crytek with the engine. They chose to be so astronomically greedy while touting that they are the underdog, it really is disgusting.

I was worried that they not only posioned the well of crowdfunding forever, but ultimately be final nail in the coffin of the very genre they claim to be rescuing.

The only positive I can see from this is that interest for space games are coming back despite CIGs efforts to try and end it.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

no_recall posted:

E: Some context.

This is the SJ (Shivan Juggernaught) Sathanas, the biggest star destroying ship from Freespace 2 (1999).

I thought I was the only one. It's funny that they might be cribbing from something Ben lesnick hated out of jealousy.

Freespace is still one of the premier linear space combat game and made it feel more personal because of the impending unknown apocalypse known as the shivans.

gently caress me, their military strength is underestimated almost every time you encounter them.