Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Sum Mors posted:

what sense of reward do you get from Elite Dangerous (hereafter reffered to as ED for the sake of brevity) for grinding so long and hard?

I'm a little upset that after here, the poster only referred to Elite Dangerous once

bandaid.friend fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Quavers posted:

The following cards have been added to the Roadmap under the Alpha 3.9 Column:
High Speed Combat: Ship systems will suffer the consequences of traveling at high speed, restricting some of the options that players will have at maximum velocity creating a vulnerability that will push players into engagement at lower speeds.

Does the game perform poorly when dogfighting at high speed?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I remember seeing a fictional Star Citizen news show where the actors were arguing over a scandal regarding spaceship construction rivets, if there's a different space president what will happen to this plot as the person ultimately responsible for the rivet purchase will not be not in office when the game is released

Bargearse posted:

Yeah but the dude who dropped the reference was from the Mirror Universe where maybe Elon Musk is... good?

The show also names "Musk Junior High" as where Tilly attended school in season two

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Rubber imperfections in modern boots are much smaller. If this is meant to be wear and tear, it's too evenly distributed over the boot, isn't concentrated in areas that should see actual wear, and doesn't include tears or scratches. I don't see a mould line from the production process. This is an incredibly unfidelitous boot

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Dwesa posted:

:reddit: Divert Attitude Control System (DACS) kinetic warheads: hover test. - good example for why the movement of SC ships is perfectly fine.

https://v.redd.it/6v911rsoxqi61/DASH_480.mp4
:lol:

drat imagine trying to use the jacuzzi in this thing

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

They've designed these flatbed trolleys like shopping trolleys, with four swivel wheels. That's not how flatbeds work. You don't push them, you pull them. You've got one set of fixed wheels and a pair of swivel wheels on the handle end, or a pair of swivels at each end with fixed ones in the centre

These would be a pain to move around with heavy loads. Actually, the physics appear to be the same when the trolley's loaded, and the spaceman's not visibly pushing any harder, so you can tell the physics of the trolleys in the video is totally faked. Busted

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Didn't they say the spaceship was on 95%hp before they ran out of ammo and it helpfully exploded

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

The desync must be terrible. A guy ran up to where another guy was five seconds previously, punched the air a few times and complained they can't damage him

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

MedicineHut posted:

Why are all these clips no longer available

Streamers can delete user-made clips, and this streamer was very careful not to comment on jank or respond to his guests when they joked about jank. Maybe he doesn't want clips that make the game look bad? Can stream moderators delete clips? How strict are Star Citizen's streamer partnership rules?

I'm thinking he has a relationship with Star Citizen, so he might have a moderator ready to delete funny clips

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I figured Linus etc were mucking around because nothing was happening or was going to happen until they did

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Looks like the future tank's gunner looks through a periscope to fire the cannon? But also the periscope is fixed to the wall. Is the turret fixed too?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Bonus cat. But did he have a mattress set up behind him? Did he plan this bit in advance?

Were all these cars and tanks being made for Star Citizen just for inclusion in Theaters of War? Is Roberts leaning over TOW artists' shoulders even though they're a different company? Do you need to buy a car gun or tank in Star Citizen to use it in TOW? It's a standalone game, so everyone's gonna have access to everything, right?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Pixelate posted:

Borderlands wasn't cellshaded until months before release, 4 years into development.
Fortnite didn't have a Battle Royale mode nor multiplayer at all until after it's release
Darkest Dungeon didn't have corpses until weeks before release.
Diablo 1 was turn based for almost it's entire development. The change was so last moment that it's to this day there is a fully functioning turn based system under the hood that is run on auto 20 time a second.
You'e acting like this is some unsual circumstance, Games are not like houses, game development is not a series of linear steps that are either done or undone.
Core tech is almost never done and dusted early and forgotten, you're hacking, refactoring and slapping that poo poo around right up until you have to go gold.
Core tech usually ends up dominating the release schedule, because you can't scale code by throwing more bodies at it like you can with every other aspect of development. That's how pedestrian research and planning core tech late in a cycle is.

This person points out some games that made last minute changes and did well, but ignores the existence of games that were crap until release but turned out to be crap at release and crap after release :bioware:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Also maybe the most convenient poo poo if you're caught short and need somewhere to go in a hurry?

I think it's a step for a plumbed-in sit-down toilet, not a portable

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

Here comes a week of absolutely nothing to go along with the previous three months of absolutely nothing

Sure does feel like they aren't working on this project anymore!

I like the spaceship on the right, the one that looks like a duck

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I forget the nooo citcon lady.

Hope she's going alright

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

The dorky landing reminds me of this Thunderbirds bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR4nKdMYKGc

The NPCs remind me of the Thunderbirds too

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I kinda like this one, honestly, it's like some low budget alien-of-the-week from Stargate. "Yeah we'll just use spray paint this sporting equipment and stick on some props from last season." This dude is thug no. 3, he's in the background for most of the scene but there's a shot of him wiggling around and sparks flying off his chest when he gets killed

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Someone mentioned how Dwarf Fortress needs lots of computing power but doesn't use multiple core processors. My understanding is (or rather, I've heard it said) the game began development before all the CPUs were multiple cores, and it can't be changed to use multiple cores without rewriting the whole thing? It's not surprising to anyone here, but maybe it says something about attempting a decades-long project to write software intended for the computer of the future to run

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Yeah while you can make a comparison I don't think it means the same criticisms apply

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Can you place a bounty on a retail player if they don't put a pickle in your burger

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

cool star wars building

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

This comment reading bit feels kinda aggressive

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

The 'fuel scoop' of this big spaceship doubles as the guest entry, huh. That doesn't sound appealing

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

The men on screen are going on about the "grand" entranceway of this spaceship. There's a large ventral fin placed at the rear end of the ship. The ventral fin had to be designed into something purposeful by Roberts directive, so it was imagined as both a fuel scoop and an entranceway for traders when the ship is on the ground. Now it's a stairway, but it's placed at the rear of the ship and the ramp faces the front. The ramp leads nowhere. So it's a big grand staircase, and they're going on about how impressive it will be to traders, but instead of leading to a more impressive room, such as in a palace, it's a ramp to a loving elevator

If it was real, of course, it'd also stink of whatever petrol the ship is apparently scooping up. Or there'd be radiation on it or something idk

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

bandaid.friend posted:

The men on screen are going on about the "grand" entranceway of this spaceship. There's a large ventral fin placed at the rear end of the ship. The ventral fin had to be designed into something purposeful by Roberts directive, so it was imagined as both a fuel scoop and an entranceway for traders when the ship is on the ground. Now it's a stairway, but it's placed at the rear of the ship and the ramp faces the front. The ramp leads nowhere. So it's a big grand staircase, and they're going on about how impressive it will be to traders, but instead of leading to a more impressive room, such as in a palace, it's a ramp to a loving elevator

If it was real, of course, it'd also stink of whatever petrol the ship is apparently scooping up. Or there'd be radiation on it or something idk

This is what I was on about here, the blue shading is the public area of the spaceship. You can see the fin, redesigned into an access ramp, which leads nowhere

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Tippis posted:

The way they seemingly auto-arrange themselves to stack properly is the literal cherry on top.

Oh gosh you're right. It's like both boxes snap to a predetermined position. I wonder if the character is genuinely climbing on the boxes, as in a physics puzzle game, or if it's programmed to do a climbing animation at that specific location if there's two boxes attached to this position

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Mirificus posted:

They also have many bespoke tools which other game developers would love to get their hands on.

Is this referring to the customers?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

What's the name of the space org that outplayed you all? They must be pretty famous on account of owning the two biggest spacefleets

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I assume a critical story scene in Squadron 42 will occur during a go-kart race

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

They're not dumbing down the argon levels and abandoning realistically tedious travel times in the same patch!? Is this even the same game anymore?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Lmao, it looks SOOO bad!

The washed out colours, the lovely rocks, the horribly straight riversides, that crappy pastelike "grass", the fake water....holy poo poo imagine gushing over this.

I feel this is unfair. It looks strange from the air, but most computer games look a bit off from that vantage, as the environment is designed to be viewed from the character's view on the groun-

A spaceflight game, you say? I see

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Can you step on the ropes, and will the game accurately simulate the blockage of gases or fluids caused by a kink in a hosepipe? Can a traitorous crew member prevent the passage of gravity goo through a hose by kinking it, and how will this effect stealth gameplay? Will a starship's internal security AI detect the low pressure gravity goo, and how will security guards respond? Will pirates be able to tie characters up with gravity goo hoses? Will there be a concept sale for a hose-gameplay focused ship?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Hose physics/gameplay is the first iteration of technology that will eventually lead to the development of a pipeline permitting the developers to create sandworms with the minimum of effort

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I've heard of this blue sky thing before, very recently. Was it in a popular news article? I'm wondering if star citizen heard of it the same time I did, which is why it's in this video, apparently being practiced at a totally inappropriate point of the process

Star citizen has a history of producing developer videos on concepts from 'introduction to game development' blogs published a week or two before the video, right?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

"I see us having AI helpers in the game," he says. "You [could] have a wood chopper, or a scientist, or a metal worker that you can show where the forest is. And then they go and run back and forth and get you wood. And maybe the more players you get in your civilization or your village, the town grows, the borders grow, you get more AI, this kind of fostering community, right? And I'm trying to see if we can do something like a massive life game mode."

He's making Age of Empires... ?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

What does 'Roger Ramjet shenanigans' look like? I remember the man being fooled for five minutes before the children let him know what's going on, then he eats a proton pill and punches the baddies

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Chris! Chris! (chant piddles out)

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Why is his shirt dirty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

nothing is happening. the characters are discussing ship specifications. they wrote a sad email home with "todays hot deals" sitting in the top of their inbox