Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tubgoat posted:

There's no such thing as bloodless imperialism.
Incendiary weapons can surely prevent any blood from being spilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Powdered, incinerated blood is still blood.
Is car exhaust gasoline?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ArmZ posted:

can dance routines be covered by intellectual property laws?
Yes, but it has to be an actual routine, sorta like with music. You can't copyright the individual pieces, only the thing as a whole. A lot of tiktok dances are probably not complex enough, even if made up of entirely novel moves.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

chairface posted:

it's actually funny which wrestlers are chuds/libs/comrades and not at all the ones you'd think. chris jericho's a covid denying chud and stone cold steve austin has a reasonable head on his shoulders.
Chris Jericho seems like a strange example to pick.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Knight posted:

White people are begrudgingly allowed to visit ethnic restaurants, but cannot talk about it in public or attempt to cook these meals at home. They are restricted to boiled cabbage and potatoes.
Those are illegal too.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

i say swears online posted:

so that nirvana kid is an rear end in a top hat lmao
Wait, 10th and 15th anniversary? Who was taking those pictures and why are they not in jail?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

speaking of Kirby creations, I'm surprised DC hasn't rushed to market Big Barda after the internet freak out over the large vampire woman
They don't have the technology to put a big woman on the silver screen.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

what was the exact chinese word is this one of those deliberately terrible translations
It's the Daily Mail, no reason to believe this is anything but them trying to get their own readership fired up about the "sissy men" at home.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Falstaff posted:

Yes, though he's a British lib, which means he's allowed to criticize, say, US imperialism in Latin America or what have you, and therefore can come across to a US audience as an extreme leftist.
Next up: Adam Curtis's Bathroom Predators

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Any criticism of Shang Chi must be racist" was the same torpedo that sank Lindsay Ellis
Did it sink her? Wasn't it just some twitter drama?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

She made a 2 hour video as a response to it lmao.
Translated into content creator: Used the drama to farm more views. Though I suppose the real trick would've been to make it a video series with a lot of shorter videos.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

josh04 posted:

apparently the consensus is very much in favour of single long videos, algorithm-wise at the moment. but yeah, it's hard not to view the whole thing with a degree of cynicism.
Ah, well, then she clearly knows what she's doing. Anyway, I'm not sure it really requires cynicism to read the situation like that, when it's not an apology video but a video telling people to take a hike. Making money off people overreacting to something you did is not exactly a morally fraught thing, compared to doing the same for something you act like you're real sorry about.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

So is this basically the first movie again? More power to them if it makes a lot of money and I'm glad Carrie Ann Moss is back from Hollywood's middle aged limbo, but this doesn't hint at a new story.
I feel the last scene does hint at a new story; finding out why he/they went back in. Definitely leaning hard on the original in the trailer though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

oscarthewilde posted:

please take your argument to its logical conclusion and imagine what kinds of side-effects the extinction of cinemas and arthouses would have on what kinds of movies would be made
The destruction of their natural habitat will result in the extinction of spectacle movies, leaving the world of film open to smaller, more intimate and introspective stories, designed for the home-viewing experience.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The United States posted:

I remember there was one where aliens showed up and started hurling asteroids at earth and the machines had the brilliant plan of going all Last Starfighter and finding the best pilot in the matrix and sending him up there in the best spaceship they could build to nuke the aliens. He does but then realizes that of course the machines didn't build any way to get him home. So of course as he's running out of air in his cockpit he asks them to hook in back into the matrix one last time so he can say goodbye and they do because why not they're sentimental like that. And sure this begs the question of why he couldn't just pilot the spaceship remotely but hey it's a sad story written around getting to a specific ending.
The really interesting story would be "The Man With 1000ms Latency". (Assuming Moon distances)

Though I just realized, with the fact that he's supposedly living in an accelerated environment where a couple of hours is about 15 years, 1000ms latency would get translated into like 18 hours in the simulation.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

indigi posted:

yeah but they (the ones I’ve talked to anyway) prefer latine to latinx
Looks kind of lovely.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

What a way to find out you're gay.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

indigi posted:

the worst episode of the Simpsons has better jokes than the best episode of the Big Bang theory
I think the argument is about Simpsons vs. Friends.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

wait is that the guy that played the most slovenly, annoying doctor who?

lmao
He played real-life supernatural horror Prince Philip, so he seems like a pretty good fit for playing a GoT royal.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

grrms a bad writer because his dumb as hell gardening analogy shows that he doesnt even understand how gardening works so no poo poo he cant finish a story if thats how he actually thinks theyre supposed to be made
To be fair, his understanding of architecture is also lacking.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

yeah if anything id say hes more like the architect (though not as how he describes it)
Starts off with some neat ideas, but spends too long on minor details. The engineers and contractors end up having to finish designing the building on their own and no one is really happy about it.

Hodgepodge posted:

slamming reply even though someone has surely pointed out that this is likely the famous Gordian Knot cut by Alexander.
I decided against it, because I doubted even goons would attribute that to some modern writer. (It's apparently the Meereenese knot, referring to him having written a ton of interwoven storylines in one location he has no idea how to untangle. Though having named it as such, I feel like he should realize the solution.)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I feel like this is really on Disney for having Shang-Chi's catch phrase be ching-chong.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

the bits that set up episodes in the early seasons are easily the worst aspect of the show

beyond that he's the weakest cast member by miles, outdone by a half-dozen background characters like George's parents
If you were a true connoisseur of comedy, you'd know he was deliberately playing an unfunny comedian, to round off the gang of failures/idiots that was everyone else.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I hate this post so much
Does it help that I'm just paraphrasing an old defense of his acting/comedy?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I knew it wasn't a genuine opinion yet I was still repulsed, like the man buying Kramer's painting. It sickens me
Clearly I'm more of an artist than Seinfeld.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MLSM posted:

How many live action Batman films have been made in the last 30 + years lmfao
Billionaires need power fantasies too, but the world is not quite ready for Luthor.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Iron Man is like 80% there
I'm sure they appreciated the hero worship, but hated the fact it implied they needed to make a big sacrifice to earn it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i think it's gonna be an oppenheimer/manhattan project biopic, hope he doesn't need 200 mill for that
Only because he doesn't appreciate practical effects like a true artist.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

shrike82 posted:

i enjoyed it but the movie's aesthetic hews to 201X scandinavian minimalism that's become ubiquitous in "dumb smart" films (e.g., all nolan movies)
This might be due to a disconnect between actual Scandinavian design and international "Scandinavian" design, but I don't see it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

coathat posted:

Poly stuff being prominent in tv is probably driven by it being popular with the writers and their cohort. Like how every tv show is about going to the psychologist because that’s how writers spend their time.
Disturbing implications for the CSI period of television.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

given that id never even heard of spiked before seeing the link to that week old article i am skeptical their platform is of comparable prominence to that of netflix
Prominence among the plebs matters far less than prominence among the ruling class. Trots fully digest leftism to turn themselves into powerful propagandist pedophiles for the far right.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

ive got some bad news about whos been putting in the most effort to signal boost the squid game capitalism discourse
Its Trots

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DesertIslandHermit posted:

MCU doing another mega-arc would be stupid. Thanos is done and Endgame was the peak.
Think bigger, think fractally. Arc--> mega-arc --> giga-arc

remember how every movie until like 1963 was a western, until all of a sudden they weren't
I'm looking forward to the Spaghettihero Movies.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

Relatedly, how loving long am I gonna have to wait for a big-budget epic Napoleon/Genghis Khan movie
In a desperate bid to turn back Napoleon's invasion, Alexander I calls upon Jesus to deliver him from his enemies. In the east the sun rises, and with it the resurrected horde of Genghis Khan.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pyrus Malus posted:

continuously baffled more and more in a sickening oneupsmanship of baffle at some of these decisions for live action bebop

like did I really just see that post about how the show 'avoids painting a dystopian vision of the future' when the dystopian future is a really important facet in all the characters backstories and in fact the crux of why they're bounty hunters in the first place?? losing my mind over here actually
I feel like it's entirely possible that the creators have removed the parts they recognized as dystopian, then added features they perceive as utopian or at least neutral, the end result being a different sort of dystopia rather than no dystopia.

Not that this would make the show good.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of some really awful twitter take that cowboy bebop is a depiction of how anime has neoliberal utopias
Well, I can't speak to that, given that I know basically nothing of either version, but neoliberal utopias being dystopias was certainly what I was getting at.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Right but Tony Stark's whole thing is that he just wants to sign the accords to "get ahead of it" and "control" it - he has massive popular support and already effectively controls the government so he's not worried about actual oversight, he just wants to use it to legitimize his violence. This is made explicit when he tries to murder captain american man and his russian boyfriend at the end of the movie.
When you put it like that, it sounds like the classic US foreign policy divide. On one side there are the people really mad about being constrained by international law, on the other the people who realize they aren't.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i feel like culture’s often on a 20 year lag where the people who grew up/came of age 20 years ago start to become successful in their respective creative fields and bring in influences from their youth
If Disney can keep the MCU going for a couple of years more, they'll hit the nostalgia wave for early MCU stuff.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The MCU started in 2008 so they have another 7 years at this rate.
Blade will tide them over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

First you complain that creators are always afraid to embrace the source material in these adaptions, choosing to keep an ironic distance from it, and now they make a cartoon character act like a cartoon character and suddenly that's a problem too? You people need to make up your mind.