Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

C-Euro posted:

I haven't watched Batman & Robin since someone pointed out to me that it's basically a Adam West-era Batman made and set in the 90s, but I wonder how different it feels with that mindset.

even as a child I realized what they were going for due to watching Batman in reruns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

hey at least he's not a twitch streamer

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

loquacius posted:

extremely clutch post/av combo

is this true? do you have a clip??

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

TheSlutPit posted:

It also helps that the daily show started out as just a general parody of news programs/weekend update style joke show. IIRC it wasn’t until a few years into the Bush era that it started taking itself seriously and trying to bundle real talking points into the satire format.

Eventually it went to their heads sure but I do think part of the lightning-in-a-bottle was that they were basically the only news source outside of like college radio and Web 1.0 that wasn't under pressure to cheerlead for the Iraq war.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

*scrying chicken guts* The Hulk 2: Hulk Goes Hawaiian

actually he goes Australian

http://marveltoynews.com/gamestop-exclusive-marvel-legends-outback-hulk-figure-up-for-order/

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

mawarannahr posted:

how do you guys deal with the fact that only a tiny fraction of movies are more interesting than the forums you’d rather be reading? I’d rather read GBS than watch most of them.

just watch anime instead

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

shrike82 posted:

watching people soyface about northman is bizarre - it looks incredibly dull and i'm still not sure why there was/is a cultural moment about vikings

It's Skyrim's fault

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Xaris posted:

this

also its very funny they were very sanitary and well-groomed unlike the diseased unwashed masses of imperial europe who were all loving their pigs and rolling around in poo poo. they were also feminists unlike the reactionary misogynist imperial core.

nah

"They are the filthiest of God's creatures. They have no modesty in defecation and urination, nor do they wash after pollution from orgasm, nor do they wash their hands after eating. Thus they are like wild asses.

Every day they must wash their faces and heads and this they do in the dirtiest and filthiest fashion possible: to wit, every morning a girl servant brings a great basin of water; she offers this to her master and he washes his hands and face and his hair -- he washes it and combs it out with a comb in the water; then he blows his nose and spits into the basin. When he has finished, the servant carries the basin to the next person, who does likewise. She carries the basin thus to all the household in turn, and each blows his nose, spits, and washes his face and hair in it."

-Ahmad Ibn Fadlan 922 ce

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

wait till you read what he says about slave girls and live burials and tell me if you still think the Vikings were Feminists

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ibn_fdln.shtml

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Like anyone should listen to what's essentially a millennia old NYT opinion piece. At least the stories of vikings being too darn hygienic and sexy for English women to resist is told by the people made to look bad in the stories, making it far more trustworthy.

one can simultaneously be too hygienic for the English and not hygienic enough for the Arabs, see for example the Italians

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

shrike82 posted:

vikinganswerlady.com

ok have a less cringy source

https://en.natmus.dk/historical-kno...man-sacrifices/

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

loquacius posted:

Hot take: Jojo in Jojo Rabbit is 10 years old and his mom probably could have done a better job of raising a non-Nazi child if she was that into it

Y'know how a lot of people like to talk about how if they lived in 1930s Germany they'd have been badass resistance fighters when at most they'd have held a sign saying "bring back Hindenburg" exactly once and spent the rest of their time plotting to vote for Goebbels instead next election? That's assuming they'd be full adults. The bravado is even more misplaced if you assume they were born under Hitler and were ten years old at the end of WW2
hey don't look at me I voted for Kerry in the middle school mock election

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That's almost every open relationship story.

if only I could be so lucky; she dumped me for the new guy.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

ArmZ posted:

have you ever met a non-western tourist? they are basically the same.

maybe we shouldn't base entire regional economies off of tourism

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I hope they eventually make a Dune movie where he merges with the worm and becomes a giant man worm emperor. Then I can finally rest.

At this rate they're splitting book one into two(three?) movies, you're going to have to wait at least 10 years

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I could turn into a giant worm in half that time, pick up the pace, Denis

I'm calling it here, by the time we get to God Emperor of Dune, Disney/Marvel studios will release a PG 13 Warhammer prequel and everyone will think it's a ripoff of that

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Casey Finnigan posted:

dr strange is such a boring character. he's a Competent Man Who's Serious. wow cool

the best part of dr strange 1 is the very beginning where they play the instrumental version of the morning song from friends

Once again, Venture Brothers did it better than the real deal.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm pretty sure "Nooo, don't limit my ability to despoil the Earth like my ancestors before me" is the reactionary position.

that's what it's there for

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

ArmZ posted:

the best population control is a basic welfare state with free access to medical care and sex ed but no one in power will ever admit it because they couldn't be self righteous anymore

it's more like people on power actually do want a surplus labor force

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

i say swears online posted:

pitbulls are safe if you raise them right

if by raising them right you mean keeping them away from human contact then yes.

edit: For the record this also applies to German shepherds etc

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Proving to a race/culture that you're "one of the good ones" so hard that they grant you honorary membership is the ultimate white guy fantasy - season 2 of Eastbound and Down is the best version of this story

When Marco Polo learns Kung Fu in that Netflix show

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

galagazombie posted:

The best part of Marco Polo is the way it ended means that the Mongol Empire fell was because Prester John was real and destroyed them with his divine powers.

do they mention PJ by name?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

galagazombie posted:

Yes. The search for him is actually a big plot point

What if the real Prester John was the friends we made along the way

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

his arc ends when he reconnects with his hardworking Hispanic dad and learns he has white passing privilege

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

TheSlutPit posted:

The taika waititi pirate show on HBO is soooo loving bad and I hate him now and take back even my lukewarm praise of jojo rabbit

I'm so glad my ex broke up with me right as this show was getting popular

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Nichael posted:

bojack was the ultimate "whoops i forget how comedy works" show

gently caress you puns and sight gags are the peak of humor

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

i say swears online posted:

nah disney and lgbt rights was a huge deal in the mid-90s

the joke was they had a gay only cruise and one day a year the gays would take over the parks

merely aknowleging the existence of gays was progressive in the 90's I guess

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

comic sans is only meant to be typed in uppercase and italics, it looks fine that way just like comic book lettering

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

loquacius posted:

oh 100%, Be Our Guest might be the most regressive song in any musical

it's like Someday My Prince Will Come, but instead of a literal male rescuer the prince is the concept of domestic servitude to those richer than yourself

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Masculine Thrust posted:

That don't sound real but given the information available to him, Gaston is a peasant acting heroically against a lawless kidnapping noble.

Gaston has a hunting rights so he's absolutely not a peasant, but still the petite bourgeoisie (doesn't he own that pub) can have revolutionary potential

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Some Guy TT posted:

people with more relevant knowledge of knowledge of contemporary childrens cartoons feel free to correct me but im honestly not sure anyone even makes stuff like that anymore in work that has children as the target audience

eh we get stuff like Steven Universe which is obviously aimed at adults who watch cartoons but placed somewhere kids can find them

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

RandolphCarter posted:

the klasky csupo art was a weird choice for a show about babies, but was :discourse: for Aaahh!!! Real Monsters

have you ever seen a newborn baby? it's the perfect representation

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

If they don't open this series with Bill and Hilary crossing a picket line on their first date they need to go back to film school

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Some Guy TT posted:

its far more incredible to me that anyone believes lion king is based on hamlet

like poo poo just try and compare characters scenes relationships literally anything except vague elements of the backstory they have almost nothing in common

loquacius posted:

there are parallels even if Rosencrantz and Guildenstern don't show up

Disney did a take on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead called Lion King 1/2

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 12:22 on May 15, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Some Guy TT posted:

yeah thats an actual deliberate parallel because the stories are set up the same way and have similar themes by which i mean both are absurdist banter about side characters with ultimately minor roles in an epic story

by contrast saying the lion king is basically hamlet because they both involve a king taking power by killing his brother is like saying severance is basically office space because they both take place in an office

I think that you're just operating on a stricter definition of the same story than me and some other Campbell-pilled folks. From where I'm standing Star Wars and the Aeneid are also the same story as Hamlet

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

im saint germain posted:

Stir Crazy and O Brother Where Art Thou might count

Selma and Louise

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Watch them try to sell this on China not realizing they left out wood and metal

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You will read about the gentry written with stuffy Victorian prose and you will like it, young man

as long as there's violence involved im sold

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

drat horror queefs posted:

In fairness - women aged 18-25 probably just put it on as noise in the background while they scroll through social media so calling them "viewers" might be a bit distinct from the traditional use of the term

that's how 18-25 year olds engage with anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think people mistake archaic language as somehow being "enlightened" or in some way better. Old books were not (necessarily) written for smarter people than books today. The language changed and now that old poo poo is hard to read because nobody talks like that.

It's better(worth more) because there's no new 15th century Spaniards writing novels, but thousands of assholes writing new poo poo every day. It's the same reason a Neolithic wheel barrel is better than your car.