Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Renegret posted:

trust me when I say, if you don't know, you're better off not knowing

gently caress that. Just explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Oh, it was just a pun. Thought it was a reference to something.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nocheez posted:

Isn't that cats?

I admit I don't know much about petfuckling.

Nope, dogs. Cats have barbs on their dicks.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cojawfee posted:

It's almost musical

It reminds me of the video where a guy throws a dead fish onto an electric guitar and it plays the opening riff of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 30, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Would you possibly have a link to this?

I tried, but I just can't find it. There are bands called Fish and Dead Fish, the former of which did a cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit. My google fu is insufficient.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

priznat posted:

The bylaws here say you have to clear the walks by 10 am the morning after a snow and so many people don’t and it’s annoying.
:qqsay:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Strawman posted:

'Marxist' is idiot for 'baddie', the bad people think that.

And lol at going from "The bylaws here say you have to clear the walks by 10 am" to "this isn't an HOA complaint." The walkways need to be cleared for safety, but demanding people take time off work to do it is nuts, and that's the unavoidable result with a set time for clearing to be done independent of when the snow actually stops.

Seriously gently caress anyone who doesn't deal with it eventually, though.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

starkebn posted:

I'm sure he posted it to try and get some spin on it before it was seen without his comment. He should be banned from directing.

I went to see the first showing off zombieland in my college town. The theater was packed. One of the previews was for the remake of The Wolfman. When text appeared saying "a Michael Bay film" the theater was evenly split between groans and laughter, but basically everyone reacted. It's become the the first thing I think of when I hear his name, because it sums up what he is: a bad joke.

And that's before you get to the osha part.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GD_American posted:

...Coincidentally, the scuba gear belonged to the trapped sailor...

This part cracked me up, but the whole thing is insane in the best way. Aside from the people dying stuff.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Regarde Aduck posted:

As poo poo as the F-35 is, this was a case of bad ammo exploding right after being fired and nothing to do with the plane.

It's worth pointing out that other planes use that same gun, most notably the harrier. And apparently the AC-130U.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cthulu Carl posted:

It's not toast, but I always enjoyed that on Warehouse 13, one of the questions they would ask to see if someone had had an encounter with a strange artifact was "Have you recently smelled something that could best be described as fudge when there is no fudge?"

My favorite part of Control was the weird advisory warnings.

*doodle dee* If you find that objects have been added to, removed from, or moved around in your work area., slowly get up and back away from your desk, while speaking in a reassuring tone. This will not only help calm you, but also the room. *dingle doo*

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Evilreaver posted:

Ah. I heard about the pipeline hack but I also heard that it was already resolved

There's the usual dumb Facebook fearmongering.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

FCKGW posted:

I couldn't find any actual videos of this thing wobblying, just a bunch of shaky videos against a background of moving clouds.. All news reports just say "people inside the building felt it swaying" with no officials backing up that claim.
Gut reaction is that it was just a mass panic

It could be some kind of mass panic, but I don't see lack of unambiguous videos as meaning much given that there was something to make those people start recording in the first place. And why would officials give a poo poo about getting heard by the anglosphere?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

zedprime posted:

Strong geometric shapes, like those that clinging plants can best utilize? Or that are striking in their interplay with surrounding trees?

Not every brutalist building is ready for clinging plants, it takes extra design and maintenance to do without compromising the concrete cladding. But for those that do you're making an argument like a Chia pet ceramic is a strong geometric shape that it doesn't need a chia afro.

Anyway geometric shapes in forests are cool as hell even if you aren't cultivating clinging plants.

He just doesn't like brutalism and wants to poo poo on it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A wonderful story buried in the unsafe garment industry thread:

:allears:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

The gently caress? The CCP has lied about the Uyghur genocide, the five-eyes community agrees that using Huawei communications equipment is a security risk, and the CCP have been holding two Canadians on trumped-up charges for years. It's absolutely okay to not take any news out of there at face value.

Srsly. That tweet was really misleading.

Of course China has lied about all sorts of stuff, but when people post about the "next season of Chernobyl" it's worth pointing that that isn't how modern reactors work. The source being unreliable warrants considering other sources in light of known facts, not just assuming the opposite of whatever they're saying.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Uthor posted:

Like I don't (usually) use ear pro at concerts I go to a few times a year, but I would if I was a musician playing shows every day.

I have a set of plugs I wear to concerts, the kind for musicians where they're designed to dampen frequencies relatively evenly. Well worth it, imo, especially if you like death metal.

One time I lost one, and by the end of the show my hearing was noticably worse on that side. That's a pretty clear sign the plugs are a good idea.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Uthor posted:

I was watching my sister's kids one night and the only things on after they went to bed was a show on private security bunkers and a show on surviving a zombie uprising.

The bunker show was full of OSHA, like a hand rail hooked up to propane to barbecue intruders and a pyramid set on fire with a guy inside to prove it could withstand napalm or something.

The zombie show talked about proper wound care and finding potable water.

lol, yeah. FEMA put together some zombie survival guide stuff that was regular emergency preparedness dressed up to get people to actually read it. I'm pretty sure you could found some kind of horror movie themed version of the boy scouts and end up with a shitload of people with a ton of useful skills.

Was the bunker show Doomsday Preppers?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I stumbled on a stack overflow post a while back from a guy who had made some small time family tree plotting software where he'd represented things internally as a directed acyclic graph. That's nerd for "flow chart where nothing moves backwards and there are no loops."

Anyway, a customer filed a support ticket saying the software crashed every time he tried to add the daughter he'd had with his other daughter. The first answer, which was accepted by the OP as the proper solution, was "fire your customer."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scott Forstall posted:

Nobody hopes to end up in the OSHA thread…

Speak for yourself.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Workers Escape From A Canadian Mine After A 10-Hour Vertical Climb

Imagine having to climb over a kilometer of ladders to get out. Hope your knees are in good shape!

No thanks, I'll just curl up and die.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LifeSunDeath posted:

I've changed headlight bulbs in a few volkswagens and it's a horrible experience. I was able to fully change the lights in my GTI but a jetta you can only get to the DRL, the actual headlights require the bumper to be pulled off and the assemble removed, or the wheel and wheel well to be removed. All this could be resolved if they allowed for an inch more space, it's so stupid.

I remember a goon complaining about a model of car where the first step for changing a headlight is to remove a piece of that side's rear body panels.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Flyinglemur posted:

Like Mr. Nice! said, active sonar is super rare. So imagine you're driving in a car with the windows blacked out in a giant parking lot. You have a detailed map of the parking lot so you know where everything is and can navigate around that way. Then some rear end in a top hat builds a Smoothie King in the middle of the parking lot but doesn't tell anyone about it. That's how this happened.

Unless someone DID update the map but the guy in charge of updating it forgot to do so. Then he gets fired, which if my memory is correct, is exactly what happened. Or at least, he got blamed for it.

Passive SONAR is used to listen to things and sadly, mountains don't make a whole lot of noise. Usually.

If the mountain is making noise you have a different kind of problem.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Blitter posted:

The intersection of bike, car and horn chat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE1VdjqV_LA

I'm buying one of these tour horns for a friend who complained the stock horn in her focus rs really isn't up to the task.

Now replace the horns with bagpipe drones.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

D34THROW posted:

"gently caress this traffic. Ow. Ow. Ow. Too bouncy...gently caress it. I'm done."

It looked to me like a vehicular potty dance.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

slow_twitch posted:

The notion that black bears are not as dangerous as grizzlies is just nonsense.

You're nonsense

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sentient Data posted:

Causing 6 digits of property damage while also injuring and (hopefully only) threatening the lives of many people: possibly going to jail

There comes a certain level of incompetence where I blame the person who put him there at least as much as the mook behind the wheel.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bismuth posted:

I like how theres a good couple of seconds between the people seeing the bear and then scrambling away

I think they've all heard that running from predators is bad, so they wait for it to turn away before bolting.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wingnut Ninja posted:

As opposed to being on fire, which is just dandy for them?

I think the idea is it makes the damage worse than it needs to be, not that you should let things burn if that's all you have.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

quote:

it doesn't smell like anything

:dogstare:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

It's like Russian motorsport Blues Brothers

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sagebrush posted:

those rally cars are crashing because they don't have a co-driver as good as neil hickey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30dxrwd0Kss

I would die to defend the rear end of Timo.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'm sure the more pressing issue is discouraging non-paying passengers.

Maybe, but it could easily be the razor wire method of security: make something that's only somewhat inherently dangerous so obviously dangerous it's not worth it. Or maybe cleaning mangled bodies out of tunnels is really expensive, idk.

KozmoNaut posted:

When people ask you how you're doing and you go "fine, and you?"

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 14, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cthulu Carl posted:

The chase car isn't to support the wings, on landing they just skid on the tips. The chase car is to let the pilot know their exact attitude because to land, the U-2 has to stall at like 2 feet off the ground exactly.

Given how fast that thing was in the air, it must have had a drat good headwind.

With this in mind, the replies to the above video pointed me toward this vid of U2s taking off and landing on carriers during the 60s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HMPMYL19E

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

From the replies:

https://twitter.com/bontrager_keith/status/1495443890253357059?s=20&t=Wv0dn8OYo4OwrLKpqvtt8g

I drive a 2019 Ranger and the thing is bigger than F250s from the mid-2000s. poo poo's insane.

And from the replies to that:
https://twitter.com/bontrager_keith/status/1495483256158007307

Someone driving that truck literally has a worse view than the driver of a Sherman.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'd like to see what a dug-in Kraut 88 would do to that pickup.

:hmmyes:

Platystemon posted:

Not with the hatch down.

…unless the driver of the truck didn’t clear the windshield of ice.

Lol yeah, I meant that to be implied. But I forget not everyone is tankosexual

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Engines are bird tested and medium flocking bird is the most challenging test due to the risk of knocking out more fan blades than expected.

When this happens to a turbojet (what fighters use) most of the bird gunk goes through the primary gaspath and can damage sensitive components in the combustion chamber and turbine section.

Additionally, fan imbalance will be occurring and there may be a 'rapid oxidation' event due to the windmills loads and imbalance.

That engine will probably be borescoped, checked for free rotation, and water washed to remove bird goo, then borescoped again. If there's no damage, it'll go back in the plane, otherwise they'll allocate a spare and repair the damage engine.

Lots of fighters use turbofans, such as the F-15, 16, and 22. Just for the record. I used to think the same thing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

haveblue posted:

I've always heard the frozen chicken story described as an urban legend, a thawed chicken at aircraft cruising speed is plenty damaging already and would probably kill a human on impact

A goose at car speed can gently caress up your nose, I have to assume a chicken at ten times that will kill you stone dead. But valid testing requires consistency, so the procedures probably specify. :henget:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Some airports use trained border collies to harass, eg, flocks of geese into leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cojawfee posted:

Just give it a cool paint job

During WW2, Australia used a bunch of captured Italian tanks in Africa. This was how they handled identification: