Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

[*]Enhanced Steam is a plug-in for Chrome, Firefox and Opera (and eventually Edge) that takes the Steam website and adds pretty much all the fixes you want from it. Want price comparisons right on the store page? You've got it (powered by Is There Any Deal :v:). Want to know how many players are playing that multiplayer game you're about to buy? This puts that information right in the store page. Want a quick way to throw your cards onto the Marketplace for slightly less than the lowest card already on there? Available with this plug-in. Want the page to remind you how much you've spent in the life of your Steam account? That's a feature! Highly recommended for everyone to use.

Note that Enhanced Steam isn't being supported by its devs anymore; Augmented Steam is the new hotness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

Rare Steam achievements having a glowing aura around them makes me feel special.

Right? Plus, a lot of the time they're for simple stuff like finishing a late-game area, which makes me feel even special-er because I'm apparently the rare Steam user who actually finishes the games he plays.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

Speaking of achievements, I'm a huge dork and have waited 5 years to get the "Go Outside" achievement in The Stanley Parable.
I finally got it today :)

I know I could just have changed the system clock

Bless.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

I own Cryostasis on my Steam account. I should reinstall it at some point to see how terribly it runs. It’s a timeless benchmarking tool really!

I actually tried playing through it last month; it ran fine at first, but 3-ish hours in, I was getting crash upon crash. No amount of settings switching-around seemed to fix it.

It's a shame too, because it's a decent game otherwise.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sometime in the last month I finally crossed the line: I now own over 2,000 games in my steam library. I'm currently scrolling through my unsorted games and being occasionally surprised - "when did I buy that? / why did I buy that?" - and you'd think I could stop buying games now, but alas, no, my wishlist is still going strong.

Meanwhile, I'm down around 350, though after a not-insignificant amount of pruning (yes, actually deleted them from my account, I'm a weirdo).

Now I'm going through the remainder by purchase order; I recently knocked out the first Amnesia, Hitman: Blood Money, and one of the mid-00s Tomb Raider games in the space of two weeks :rock:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 24, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gotta say, I'm tempted to throw $9 at the thing just in case the FFXIV-esque rework they're now promising actually pans out

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Tamba posted:

From the FFXIV thread

This is cool as hell.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I’m playing Tomb Raider Anniversary for backlog and holy poo poo, they have you fighting a T-Rex in like the first hour

Very little preamble too, Lara’s just wandering through some ruins in search of a cog for a puzzle and all of a sudden, DINOSAURS

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rappaport posted:

That's what happened in the original version too, to be fair.

I knew one of the original games had dinos, but I'd no idea that they popped up so early in the grand scheme of things

Coming from Legend, which has an entirely different sense of pacing and level design (which makes sense, being an actual original game instead of a remake like Anniversary is) it was more than a little surprising.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Since this is the de-facto PC gaming thread I'm crossposting this from the deals forum: Several EA games are popping up super cheap on Amazon, specifically the Instant Access versions. You need to have an Origin account and link it to Amazon (you'll get a popup to do so while adding the game to your cart).

Titanfall 2 - $2.99
Battlefield 1 - $2.99
Dragon Age Inquisition - $2.99
Mass Effect Trilogy - $8.99
Mass Effect Andromeda (LOL) - $3.99
Burnout Paradise Remastered [Online Game Code] - $2.99

Big AmazonTony energy in this post. Thank you.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

With all this talk of a Steam sales I thought there was a Steam sale going on, but no

Some things sales truly never change

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Artelier posted:

Hello friends, did you know Jedi Fallen Order has an optional boss you can fight before you gain access to health refills? Because I know that now!

Oggbo Bogdo :argh:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Working my way through Jedi Fallen Order since the other half bought it for my birthday and holy gently caress how did this game make it out of testing with zero fast travel options. Even Dark Souls had primal bonfires. I even googled it to see if maybe I missed a tooltip or something but know, if you want to track down a missing poncho or a force echo, you gotta hoof it all the way there. And then you get to do a return trip to get to your ship. And honestly, it wouldn't even be that bad except that one planet in particular is a giant loving mess and it's hard to figure out how to get to entire chunks of the map because the map is so god damned hard to read. I just can't believe that no one at any point during development though "hey this sucks and isn't very fun."

It's really the sole thing keeping me from replaying the game. The shortcuts help, but it's still a major pain to track down those last few missed collectibles.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm one of those fools who deleted (yes, permanently deleted off the account) like 70 games that I knew I'd never ever play because of ~*reasons*~

And this is the only categorization I'm working with currently:

Beat two games, add two more.

VtM is dope.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 22, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

So Dragon Age Inquisition is finally available on Steam: how has it held up in a post-Witcher 3 world? Worth playing still? I loved Origins, never played 2, and I remember people raving about Inquisition when it first came out.

Characters good, gameplay bad

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

pentyne posted:

You can cheese the war table timed missions by changing your system clock ahead and just knocking them all out once they show up. There's quite a bit of flavor text to them to so just spamming them and not reading all the way through you can miss some fun stuff.

There's also entire war table mission chains that can actually be failed/cut short if you pick the wrong advisor. Some of them actually pay out pretty well if you handle them right.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

baka kaba posted:

one thing I liked about modern times tomb raider is in modern times you have phones that can translate signs for you by pointing the camera at them

the sign was accurate!

Bahaha, that's great

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

Ooooh what's this now? The only aspect I enjoyed about battlefront was the space battles.

I'm also gay for the return of Tie Fighter

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/1271469694168399872?s=20

Sounds like it's going to be an arcade-y joint like the Starfighter Assault mode in Battlefront, though I'd love to be wrong.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The two newest Gears games for ~$12 each seems like a, uh, good deal?

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15338/Gears_Tactics__Gears_5_Bundle/

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

Anybody got a set of instructions on how to get the old install of Star Wars: The Old Republic to be recognized as a steam library game? I wouldn't mind having it set on steam, but i'd rather not redownload this massive game

From what I recall, you download the launcher from Steam, open it but don't sign in, then close it. Then you copy the previous install's files over to the Steam folder.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

explosivo posted:

Man what the gently caress I'm reinstalling Dragon Age Inquisition what did you bastards do.

Fake edit: But NOT because of the romance crap <:mad:>

Every time the impulse to reinstall hits me, my mind tries to guilt me into doing the entire series (despite the Dragon Age Keep being a thing) and then I throw up my hands in resignation because I don't have the time nor actual inclination to replay 3 long-ish RPGs

Probably for the best imo

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

god lol the mounts

barely faster than going on foot, and you can't do combat or interact with anything while riding them

they suck

e: also no companion banter

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 4, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Looks like they're a goon.

Turn on Steam Guard, y'all.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I don't actually know which goon this is, but they're in the Steam Goons group so :shrug:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Morter posted:

Go to their steam profile and link it here.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/riddlemebris/

Codeacious posted:

This has to be one of the more successful scams with how much it seems to be popping up. What's so different about this one that it's getting people?

Apparently the scam link utilizes the Steam API which probably lulls people into a sense of false legitimacy

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Orv posted:

I mean it doesn't actually matter because there will be no talking about the characters outside the game aside from comments like "Boy they sure got a lot of bad acting done huh" because the interstitial stuff in Squadrons is very not good.

There's nothing wrong with it fundamentally though.

If I'm honest I just spent the between-missions stuff just staring intently at the incredible texture work on the pilot flight suits (and pretty much everything else)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ymgve posted:

Did you get Observer when it was free on Epic? You can get the new game with a big discount!

https://twitter.com/ObserverRedux/status/1316789684710731776

(It won't show the full discount until you're at the checkout page, but it does work with the free version)

I got it when it was free on Twitch :sigh:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Another one for the pile, they're in the goon group, etc.

e: beaten

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

hell yea i kicked borderless gamings rear end

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oop, new collection idea:

I think I'm gonna be categorizing my games until the end of humanity's time on Earth

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

sounds rad

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

FutureCop posted:

Any opinion on Halo nowadays? I've never played it as I've never had an Xbox in my household, but I was a bit curious as to experience this landmark game and wondering if doing a coop campaign through the series could be fun. However, part of me is thinking that might be a bad idea as 1) it's probably very outdated and far from the new intense action I crave from games like Dusk or Doom Eternal 2) I mostly just play for the spectacle and combat and try to avoid long cutscene games, so I don't know if the lore and story is gonna have any impression on me and 3) maybe Halo was known for its PvP multiplayer instead, which I'm not interested in, so perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place and I should just get Deep Rock Galactic or something instead for coop fun.

I'm currently playing the MCC thanks to a very generous Steam friend, just playing through the original game solo on Heroic (the 2nd highest difficulty).

I don't have much nostalgia for the franchise, but I'm actually quite enjoying it. Even Halo: CE has aged pretty well even after all these years, and I find it pretty easy to pick up for a short session. Like it's not DOOM-level intense but it's still pretty smooth. The first game is simliar to the original Star Wars in that there's occasional allusions to a larger universe but 95% of the time it's just shooty lasers.

Halo CE definitely has more in common with Half-Life 1 than 2 in the ways you described.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I was pruning my wishlist last night, and it struck me as weird that with at least some delisted games (Mortal Kombat: Komplete Edition in this case) you can just... pop over to a site like CDKeys and drop 2 bucks on a key, and it activates just fine. Wonder how many others are like that.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Palpek posted:

Driver: San Francisco is like that but all the keys are extremely expensive, last I checked it was like 80€. Too bad because that's one good racing game I missed the opportunity to play.

If you really want to play it, there's physical PC copies (albeit with Uplay codes inside) floating around for like a quarter of that price

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

New Vegas is The Last Jedi to Fallout 3's The Force Awakens

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fallom posted:

I know it must've been hard to come up with new ideas in Shadow of the Tomb Raider but having stealth sections against loving fish is just embarrassing.

I played that section just yesterday (the one with all the piranhas and air pockets) and found it surprisingly tense. Granted, it may just be because the rest of the game has been fairly easy (like what's the point of a stealth option when you can gun down all of your opposition in like 10 seconds anyway, plus the added XP can easily be made up elsewhere) though.

Speaking of SOTTR; anyone know why it's disconnecting and reconnecting my external HDD every time I boot the game? Its not like I'm running it off that drive, so I don't think it's a failure issue.

I don't know if it's related, but I noticed the game also resets my fullscreen and DLSS settings (to non-exclusive and off, respectively) every time I boot as well.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

They did really downplay the combat in Shadow. I think there's a whole 10 hour section in the middle where you can just do tombs in and around Paititi with no shooting at all.

Yep. The most combat-y it gets for a long while is a scripted segment where you run away from guards.

Though, as I discovered today, there are some shooty funtimes when you get the shotgun.

Fallom posted:

I appreciate that they made the combat trivial but that only emphasizes how pointless the combat is in this game. They do a great job putting Lara in extremely perilous situations and designing neat machinery and tombs, and those things are way more entertaining than stabbing some random contractor in the neck. Why not focus on the strengths?

It also works pretty well narratively, as the game sets up that Lara has been systematically hunting down and wiping out Trinity cells. Shooting dudes should be near inconsequential to her by this point.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 8, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

I decided to aggregate all my game libraries with GOG Galaxy. How cruel do you have to be to insist that I should know my total cumulative number of hours played?

I tried doing this a while back and kept having to reconnect the Steam/Origin/etc. integrations every few days. Eventually just gave up on the whole shebang.

Kind of a bummer because conceptually it’s pretty rad.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Binary Domain is a game with a lot of heart that tried really hard and that’s why I love it. What? No, that’s absurd, that absolutely isn’t a string of euphemisms to irrationally excuse the many problems it has.

I'm still mad I didn't get the good ending for the French robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Guess it's that time again: The bi-annual Selling of the Cards

:haw: