Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's weird, 'cos the virus itself doesn't sound that bad (the people who died from it presumably had a different opinion) and yet China's taking these really extreme measures to contain it. So I don't know whether the Chinese government's massively over-reacting or whether we should all be genuinely worried.

I mean, I've got no doubt that they're lying through their teeth about the real number of deaths but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mozi posted:

it could still be the flu though, just not the specific strain you were vaccinated against

They whip up a new flu vaccine every year that protects you against the most common strains that are circulating. It's really loving clever stuff.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
We should just spread it to everyone and get it out of the way: then everything would be back to normal by April instead of dragging on into next year.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, except for the people who died from it, I guess.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

MarcusSA posted:

I said this in the other thread but I’ll say it here too.

If you can change how your 401k/ investment accounts are allocated you’d be a drat fool not to move them to the most secure investing possible as soon as possible.

Ok so nothing happens? You lost out on a few % return over the short term. If the markets do take a huge poo poo your money would be a lot more secure and you could save your self a substantial amount of money.

We were talking about it at work and we all know people that lost literally 100s of thousands nearly overnight in 2008.

Not saying it’s going to be nearly that bad but the market is definitely going to dip and no one is really sure how far it’s going to go.

It literally takes like 3 min ( with Voya at least) to change it and IMO you’d be a fool not to do it for the short term.

I work in the wealth management industry! Just leave your drat investments alone, people. Messing around with your portfolio every time you see a startling headline is an excellent way of frittering your money away through hasty decisions and transaction charges.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The gruesome US healthcare system combined with a work culture utterly intolerant of sickness absence could have been tailor-made to ensure that the virus spreads as widely as possible.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So, the official position of the Uk government is: "Yeah, we're going to wait until things get real bad before we bring any measures in, 'cos :effort:".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/09/matt-hancock-under-fire-from-mps-over-uk-coronavirus-response

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

TheJanitor posted:

Specifically at that briefing they said if they take action too soon then people might get "fatigued" and it won't last through the peak of infections. Or that we could take action and stop it now, but the country would just get re-infected again later in the year, moving the peak of infections from summer to winter, loving the NHS even more. Maybe there's some merit to both of those points? The second one certainly sounds like they think the solution is to get everyone infected and be immune (and/or dead) by the end of summer.

I'd be more inclined to believe that if we didn't have a Prime Minister who's infamously lazy and irresponsible. He just doesn't want to bring in emergency measures now because people would not see the point, get stroppy and blame him. The bit about people getting 'fatigued' gives it away; it translates into: "Our elderly voter base will throw a fit if their routines are interrupted in any way, so let's leave things until they're clamoring for Something To Be Done and we'll step in then."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

All the people coming into the liquor store hands raw from washing compulsively all lining up to purchase a substance that trashes your immune system.

Do not drink or smoke during this morons.

Alcohol kills germs, moron. I'm knocking back a bottle of wine every evening, same as usual and I'm completely healthy!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Crimpolioni posted:

Zero, so yes. Pretty low. And beyond anything else, even lesser crisis have resulted in huge increses in deaths from things like suicides, cancer, all manner of stress and inactivity related complications, and so on.

I drank 4 bottles of wine between Friday - Saturday and I've spent today absolutely wishing I was dead. No more home drinking for a bit, I think.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Hyzenth1ay posted:

I’m nobody who just shitposts but this helped me today too. I crushed four bottles of wine this weekend and while I’m not hung over per se I feel panicked and awful.

So thanks Spinster.

After trying it both ways, I've concluded that while being stuck at home by yourself sucks, being stuck at home with a stinking hangover and associated sense of existential dread sucks worse lol.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
As someone else said: you can always get another job; you can't get a new pair of lungs.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The mortality rate for patients put in intensive care after being infected with Covid-19 is running at close to 50%, a report has revealed.

"The Guardian" posted:

Data from the Intensive Care National Audit and Research Centre (ICNARC) showed that of 165 patients treated in critical care in England, Wales and Northern Ireland since the end of February, 79 died, while 86 survived and were discharged. The figures were taken from an audit of 775 people who have been or are in critical care with the disease, across 285 intensive care units. The remaining 610 patients continue to receive intensive care.

The high death rate raises questions about how effective critical care will be in saving the lives of people struck down by the disease...

...“The truth is that quite a lot of these individuals [in critical care] are going to die anyway and there is a fear that we are just ventilating them for the sake of it, for the sake of doing something for them, even though it won’t be effective. That’s a worry,” one doctor said.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/28/coronavirus-intensive-care-uk-patients-50-per-cent-survival-rate

The article also mentions that being male and being fat are significant factors in ending up in intensive care with this virus, so something something goons, I guess!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Watching this thread gradually move from poking fun at other countries attempts to deal with the virus, to indignantly posting that the US only looks bad right now because everyone else is lying about their cases has been pretty funny, I've got to say.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Noise Complaint posted:

It's a actually a super good and healthy thing, except usually with a bunch of fresh stuff like parsley and lemon that get bought out because boomers get their head start hour in the local supermarkets. So now I'm just stuck with the beans and 'dines.

Sardines with lemon juice, salt and pepper and hot sauce loving rule. Serve mixed into pasta, rice, or also beans, I guess.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The moment I'm allowed to, I'm absolutely planning to find the noisiest, most crowded pub I can and drink myself into blissful oblivion.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
mmm, piping-hot garlic water.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

biracial bear for uncut posted:

As someone that has to do this because they are "essential", don't do this. I've literally seen more road deaths since January this year than I have seen total in the last twenty years I've been commuting to work (and one particularly nightmare-inducing pedestrian death at 5AM).

Stay the gently caress home.

Wait, how many road deaths have you seen in total.

Where on earth do you live.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

WrenP-Complete posted:

Someone I know in Cochise County (Arizona) cut his finger open and went to the ER, which he said was empty. Are they diverting people from the ER who may be contagious or something?

In the UK, people have been avoiding the ER unless it really is an actual emergency. Turns out that a very large proportion of the people clogging up the ER in normal times never needed to be there in the 1st place.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

StrangersInTheNight posted:

'But I did it once and someone made me feel like my system wasn't perfect! Don't they owe ME something too? I give up, these people are animals!'

That's landlord poster guy, that's what he sounds like.

Ok, GBS edgelord :rolleyes: Look: I let my slaves get married; I let them go to church on a Sunday; I don't whip them any more than's necessary to get a reasonable return on my investment. I'm a good slave owner and I resent you lumping me in with all those bad slave owners who don't really represent our profession at all :colbert:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Don't forget that his entire career was based on studying addiction clinically.

Meaning, he is literally an expert on "this isnt the way to detox from benzos" and yet did it anyway.

That's our Jordan! :allears:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

greazeball posted:

I agree completely. So many people are using the "well at least we're not as bad as [X]" or "[X] closed their schools and it didn't really help that much so we shouldn't bother" that we need regular reminders that lockdowns work, when communicated well and backed up by financial support and law enforcement. I'm really looking forward to Australia's economic figures over the next two years because I think they'll show the hit to the public debt is much less damaging than some people have been predicting and their 2021 GDP growth should blow everyone else out of the water.

I'm in the Uk and it's totally a coping mechanism. We're in a poo poo situation here and reflecting on the fact that things could and should have been handled better makes people feel even worse about everything: much more comforting to heave a weary sigh and opine that the government's trying to do the best it can and hey, everyone makes mistakes, you know. With the people who actually voted for the government, they'll usually tack on: "...and just imagine how much worse it would have been if that Jeremy Corbyn was in charge!" as an afterthought.

I'm having to grit my teeth a lot in work Zoom meetings.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chikimiki posted:

Kinda getting desperate of this whole situation; 2020 was supposed to be my year, finally managed to snag a sabbatical from my employer, was supposed to spend a year traveling of which I've been dreaming forever and saving for years :toot: Then Covid happens, okay, tough luck, I chose to delay my plans, how long can this epidemic last? A few months tops, right? :downs:

So here we are, one year later, and things are even worse: I feel like I've taken huge steps backwards - I had finally managed to have a GF, a social circle, an ok job, going out, exercising, travelling etc. after spending years as a NEET shutin, only to now be back stuck at home (though neither alone nor jobless, thank goodness) :eng99:

It feels like the light at the end of the tunnel is moving further and further away, in between virus mutations and vaccine rollout delays. What if it takes years to get out of this shitter? What if we never get out? I don't want to waste my best years sitting at home filling out spreadsheets, only to be able to maybe enjoy life once I'm an old fart. Not too mention that I'd want kids rather sooner than later. Really seems like we have collectively been damned to a life of routine boredom.

I know that I'm one of the fortunate people: I work from home, no one close to me got ill, no money problems... But it all feels so hopeless, I'm barely finding the energy to get out of bed in the morning :smith:

Sorry for venting, I know this is a Micky D's drivethrough :v:

Yeah, some people seem to have lost sight of just how profoundly unnatural and damaging living like this is and do that awful scolding, humblebragging thing where they're all: "Well, I literally haven't left the house since last March and I feel great! You're a bad person for missing human contact and you should feel bad about that!"

Being in the Uk doesn't help: we've been repeatedly told that we're past the worst of it, only to hear shortly afterwards: "Whoops, back into lockdown, lol", which does as much for your morale as you'd expect.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

freebooter posted:

We could literally watch the numbers going down each day until we hit zero. I can't imagine how much it must loving suck to have to isolate for longer than that and also not have the end anywhere in sight.

Yeah, given how badly the Uk has hosed it, I've got this horrible feeling that lockdown is going to go from a temporary emergency measure to this semi-permanent thing, with relatively normal summers followed by months of strict social isolation. It'll doubly suck if the rest of the world has got on top of this thing and is watching us with pity as we continue to clown our response up.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Macron has just given a press conference and France is going back into national lockdown for at least a month. Europe generally has been hit really badly from their slow vaccine rollout.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

learnincurve posted:

God, that throws up memories of this thing a year ago where Italian doctors were writing open letters to the U.K. with charts and statistics showing us that we were 3 weeks behind them, but still with time to halt the spread, a and begging us not to repeat their mistakes, and our government made posters telling us to wash our hands.

Lol, I remember that 'phoney war' phase, when we could see what was happening in China and Italy and it seemed reasonable to assume that the virus would be spreading in the Uk soon as well but it still didn't seem quite real? Like: come on, this is the Uk, we're the protagonists, no really bad stuff could happen here, right?

Ah well, reality did its thing soon enough.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

It's not quite as bad as you might think - India is a very young country (average age of 27!) and it's also a distinctly slim country, certainly compared to the US or UK. Now the reason that the proportion of vulnerable, older, fatter people is low (poverty) isn't so good but it does mean that Covid has a relatively low impact compared to other medical problems the country has.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fallom posted:

I wonder how the numbers break out. WFHers seem to be an ultra privileged, wildly vocal minority and not some massive movement in my professional circle.

It’s funny listening to podcasts and hearing the hosts just assume everybody gets to stay home and that we’re “all in this together”

There's a certain class of people with decently sized houses, secure finances and computer-touching jobs who've had a distinctly pleasant epidemic overall and many of them seem to be opinion columnists who struggle to empathise with either young people having to live and work from home in crowded, unsuitable conditions or, worse, people who actually have to leave the house in order to do their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cave-syndrome-keeps-the-vaccinated-in-social-isolation1/

Scientific American posted:

After a year in isolation, many people who have developed an intimate understanding of what it means to socially isolate are afraid to return to their former lives despite being fully vaccinated. There is even a name for their experience: the clinical sounding “cave syndrome.”

Emerging into the light after a year locked inside is proving to be a difficult transition for some people. Jacqueline Gollan, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Northwestern University, says adjusting to the new normal, whatever it may be, is going to take time. “The pandemic-related changes created a lot of fear and anxiety because of the risk of illness and death, along with the repercussions in many areas of life,” she says. “Even though a person may be vaccinated, they still may find it difficult to let go of that fear because they're overestimating the risk and probability.”