Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

wizzardstaff posted:

It's very real and it's been operating that way for years. Can't find it right now but I remember an interview with the person who runs it; the thinking is basically "no one is going to read boring poo poo about smoke alarm expiration dates; we can't change the content but we can change the boring".

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/leticiamiranda/the-federal-governments-best-twitter-account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Moo the cow posted:

Do you think they got confused between lab-grown diamonds and moissanite/cubic zirconia?

I'm pretty sure that once you wipe the third-world child's blood off a natural diamond, it is identical to a lab-grown one

Lab-grown ones are prone to mutating and eating their way up your arm.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

mind the walrus posted:

While I'm being petty-- and I'm gonna be petty af about Rowling she's trying to use autistic people as props in her TERF rants now-- it's also such a vanity problem to try and flesh out other Harry Potter story crap like the Fantastic Beast movies instead of just doing the obvious thing and sending more kids to Hogwarts. Like yeah you'd get flak for "not taking risks" from snobby critics, but they didn't like Harry Potter to begin with and weren't about to start, and there's a lot of freedom affording in world-building through the lens of a central location everyone loves. Look at how Star Trek and loads of garbage comics/anime do it. But nope, despite making a billion on the back of a really simple YA format you "have something to prove."

I'm usually in favour of expnding fictional worlds, but gently caress if there's anything worth expanding in wizard school Malory Towers. Should have franchised it out and got worldwide wizard schools written by people of that ethnic/historical background.

It's OK, I think he's making a Marilyn Monroe joke.

I hope so, at least.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

letthereberock posted:

That crazy people could make this connection does not surprise me.

What I did learn: apparently British people call popsicles “lollys”.

Look we’re just starting now to wrap our minds around the whole fries/chips/crisps conundrum.

They're only lollies of they've got a stick in them.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Yawgmoth posted:

What kind of popsicle doesn't have a stick?!

You don't have freeze pops where you come from? Those liquid-in-plastic things you stick in the freezer? Or the slightly posher versions in wax-paper cones?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Brawnfire posted:

"Hi sorry yeah, but I was born a fuckin Nazi so I'm entitled to wear this swastika pendant openly at work BRENDA"

My 1488&Me results just came in!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BrigadierSensible posted:

Nah, it'd be the opposite. Karen finds out that her great great great great grandmother married someone from Mexico, so the next time her Soy LatteChino is 30 seconds late she will claim racism as she demands to speak to the manager.

"I have 1% Black ancestry so I can use the n word all I want!"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

theironjef posted:

Victor wasn't a doctor! He was just some tragic science aficionado.

The Elon Musk of 1818.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Unkempt posted:

"...a strange sight suddenly attracted our attention and diverted our solicitude from our own situation. We perceived a low carriage, fixed on a sledge and drawn by dogs, pass on towards the north, at the distance of half a mile; a being which had the shape of a man, but apparently of gigantic stature, sat in the sledge and guided the dogs. We watched the rapid progress of the traveller with our telescopes and were perplexed when the carriage slammed straight into a pedestrian and burst into flames for no apparent reason."

"This aroused the stranger’s attention, and he asked a multitude of questions concerning the route which the pedo guy, as he called him, had pursued.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pookah posted:

drat right, both immeasurablely better writers than terfkrowling. Check out the hounds of the morrigan by pat o'shea for really excellent ya fiction for irish kids.

I love Susan Cooper so much, I nicked a Dark is Rising compilation from the school library when I was finishing primary school. I was the only one who read it :colbert: (I still have that copy)

The other great thing about Hounds of the Morrigan (well, one of many great things, but a great thing that wasn't in the book itself) was that it did the "here's the kids' book edition and here's the grownup edition with with the classy Celtic-ish cover so people don't know you're reading a kids' book" thing long before Bloomsbury tried it with HP.

Chubby Henparty posted:

They made one, it was awful, just Hollywood trying to snap up licenses during potterhobbitmania.

Good call on hounds of the morrigan, I remember reading that and I'm sure at least one more series steeped in celtic folklore with a returned merlin with a funny name (except it was post apocalyptic and the hero kid controls the weather?)

The Changes trilogy by Peter Dickinson. Not so much a trilogy as 3 books with the same background (UK reverts to mediaeval times) but The Weathermonger is the one you're remembering, with Geoffrey the weatherworking hero and his sister driving across England in a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost to find out it's Merlin what dunnit.

(It also does better than JKR on the racial representation front - the 3rd book, The Devil's Children, is about a Sikh family all the local yokels decide are elves who set themselves up as smiths and kick the crap out of the local robber baron in his boilerplate armour cosplay.)

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Preaching to the choir here but it never raises eyebrows for those supposed feminists that they’ve essentialized being a “real” woman” to having ovaries, bearing children, and shaving your body hair. Nor do they seem to care about cis women being kicked out of bathrooms for having shaved heads or something.

Yeah, I'm a 50ish white cis UK feminist and it weirds the gently caress out of me that what I thought were utterly vanilla opinions ("other people's genitals and gender expression are none of my business" and "I don't care who else uses the toilet and how as long as they don't leave pee on the seat") make me a witch-burning betrayer of ~true womanness~ these days. The number of people my age I've had to explain to that no, Forstatner was an obnoxious loving git who wasn't fired, she just didn't get her contract renewed because of being an unrelentingly obnoxious loving git is frankly worrying.

Oh well, gently caress it. Pass me a flaming torch, would you?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

oldpainless posted:

This is why we need to fast track the DNA gun lock technology as seen in the seminal 1995 sci fi classic Judge Dredd starring Sylvester Stallone

Gun DNA detector: 50% match detected, close enough, unlocking

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Brawnfire posted:

That's a good point, though. I mostly think of the rocket experimentation which seems like an efficacious path of development, but the comsats are worrying.

noncomsats

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Vib Rib posted:

That's immediately what I thought of. He came out with "you wouldn't know it" and he realized the only way to make sure that stays true is to never name a band.

Either that or it was Mmm Bop and he's cursed to never tell an outright lie.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, the character wasn't good but he seemed to deliver it fine all things considered. What an oddly shaped man, though.

Yeah, his shirt-off scene in TFA had me wondering about hosed-up photoshopping - his torso seemed a weird shape.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Bad Unflattering costume design. Those pants had a very high and wide waist, which visually shrank his torso while leaving it the same width. With his pants at a normal height, he looks fine. http://www.justjared.com/photo-gallery/2711873/lena-dunham-adam-driver-girls-set-02/

Makes sense. All I could see during that scene was those ancient Russian (?) dating site photos with the weird distortions.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Doc Hawkins posted:

His features are strong and masculine, with an Austrian lip and arched nose, his complexion olive, his countenance erect, his body and limbs well proportioned, all his motions graceful, and his deportment majestic. He was then past his prime, being twenty-eight years and three quarters old, of which he had reigned about seven in great felicity, and generally victorious. For the better convenience of beholding him, I lay on my side, so that my face was parallel to his, and he stood but three yards off: however, I have had him since many times in my hand, and therefore cannot be deceived in the description.

:perfect:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Disagree, my favorite breakfast sandwich consists of eggs, hash browns, jelly, bacon, and cheese. The sweetness of the jelly really compliments the savory flavors. Just fantastic stuff.

Halloumi cheese? The Turkish cafe near me does fryups including halloumi and slices of sujuk and they're fantastic additions.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

I would generally suggest you probably don't know, for that reason.

Unless you're some kind of aristo freak who cares about that kind of thing you probably don't know poo poo about where or who you were descended from. For all I know my mam popped out of a hole in the ground somewhere in the town I live in.

The obsession with ancestry is, as far as I know, a bizzare american thing. Especially the obsession with claiming you're "half german/italian/norwegian" when your parents were american and so were their parents.

Well, some of us UKers developed a sudden interest when we remembered an Irish grandparent would get us an Irish passport.

Unfortunately looks like mum's parents weren't actually born in Ireland dammit mum.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

letthereberock posted:

My best guess is that he’s referring specifically to beef stew, which is associated with cowboys? I just picture the scenes in old westerns where a bunch of cowboys are huddled around the fire at the end of the day eating stew.

Of course it’s telling that the best example of manliness he can come up with is one strictly from the movies.

I thought they always ate beans? Viz that noted documentary Blazing Saddles. :gas:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Taeke posted:

Wait, I've got LeGuin's books lying ready for when I get time to read again (soon), but I didn't want to watch the Ghibli movie for fear of spoilers.

Can I watch it anyway without spoiling the novels? Like it's just the same setting but an entirely disconnected story or something?

Soysaucebeast posted:

I haven't read the book or watched the Ghibli movie, but according to Daniel Green it basically has characters with the same names, and nothing else is similiar. Ursula was pissed about how bad of an "adaptation" it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6akqmZmzTk

This. It has a great Sparrowhawk and some really nice animation but the plot is bog-standard Daaaark Loooord stuff which the books ain't.

It's also up there with Mortal Engines for dialling down the heroine's facial scars when they're supposed to be life-changingly horrific.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Question Mark Mound posted:

In this house
We drink MANGOSTEEN
and have LOAD BEARING DRYWALL
our day of rest is PHOTOSHOP FRIDAY
before we ANIMATE BLUE BALLS
and tell you to GET OUT
we keep time with a ZYBOURNE CLOCK
IT IS A MYSTERY but
ALL YOUR BASE are belong to us
because in this DOOM HOUSE
we are GOONS

We have STAIRS

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Biplane posted:

Unbelievably disgusting, even for british food.

That is not British food.

If it was it'd have salad cream not mayo. :barf:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

seiferguy posted:

Idiots on Social Media: I did not do the sex crimes I promise

2 pages back, but Idiots on Social Media: talk about the gulags during foreplay is pretty drat good too.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Skwirl posted:

It's twitter except you don't get banned for minor little things like slurs and death threats.

Guess again! No death threats (at least not to other posters):

Slurs are A-OK though. Free speech for the important stuff.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sunswipe posted:

You have to remember that PJW is very, very stupid.

Also the big grift dividends come from the US.

chitoryu12 posted:

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1332062925868191744

This wet boy is absolutely convinced that eating bad microwave meals alone in his apartment is making us feel bad.

The only way I can make any of this make sense to me is by remembering that he's absolutely terrified of anything outside his comfort zone (brown people, spices, people laughing at him, outside etc etc bla bla) and thinks people saying yuck that looks gross and bland means we're terrified of grated cheese on unseasoned boiled gunge.

freemandela posted:

motherfucker poured precut bag cheese over microwaved fish and formerly frozen vegetable mix, gently caress yeah i'm triggered

like, eat things with flavor. i know he's british, but this is beyond the pale

I'm British as they come and I wouldn't loving eat that!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mega Comrade posted:

Read that as dematerialize lol
Made me think of shooting police with Sci fi guns

I'm game!

^^^ better username/post combo from that goon though ^^^

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

boar guy posted:

um

only female cows give milk, is the joke

Apart from Root :pervert:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Time to bring religion into it.

Monkpunk.

christmas boots posted:

Nah, the next step is to veer off even farther into the past until we hit Stonepunk

e: I have been informed that this is essentially the Flintstones.

Monkeypunk!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Please stop calling him Dick Dorkins

No.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Vib Rib posted:

I mean it's definitely not as bad as "to any snowflakes who might've been offended by my hilarious comedy" like most apologies tend to be, but there's a real revelatory aspect to it, like he had no idea saying slurs was wrong until today.

He'd never realised he could get life-affecting pushback for it until today. Now all his meal tickets are cutting him loose the light is starting to dawn.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Skwirl posted:

No idea, I got it from the PYF gif thread back when Lowtax made the "stupid newbie" AV into that toilet person, so the original GIF was probably taken from a longer animation.

my original text under it was "no, you're wrong" which kinda sorta fits.

I've always seen it as "gently caress you".

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think we’ll see Queen Elizabeth pass out of “nowhere” this year. It’s just the funniest thing that can happen to England post-COVID and Brexit.

Funnier if Charlie kicks the bucket first after all these years of waiting to be King.

1stGear posted:

The actual funniest thing is for Scotland and Northern Ireland to pass independence referendums. I lust for Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson's dipshit political stunt to destroy the United Kingdom.

:same:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Best reply:

https://mobile.twitter.com/dankgdl/status/1349215850465812480

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

littlebluellama posted:

Also, by the logic of this meme, wouldn't that make millenials the new strong men? Or did the bad times inexplicably make snowflakes this time?

Pffft it's not that bad these days you snowflakes why when I was a young man blah blah blah blah blah

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pththya-lyi posted:

What's the chud equivalent of Amontillado?

Black Rifle Coffee.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I read it as DicksOnPolice at first, which made it both more confusing and funnier.

^^ ha, beaten ^^

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

"Yeah Joe you're President now, tell Soros to turn off the pandemic!"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

I guess look to see if it's wearing a kippah, kirpan, or crucifix?

This is erasure of atheist space lasers!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SerialKilldeer posted:

Chess chat reminds me, what was that parody post about someone barging into a chess tournament and claiming to have discovered a "secret" chess rule based on an old shopping list? I don't remember what it was a parody of, but it was amusing.

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

3, if you count each nostril as one. Mouth to anus, and then the sinus cavity, everything else dead ends into an organ.

Assuming no piercings.