Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Shouldn't make a difference on an individual basis, vehicles are total weight limited to 80,000 lbs in the US. However, less weight for freight means more 80K trucks on the road.

Most trucks are not constrained by the weight limit but the ones that are will probably stay non electric, or weight laws will allow an exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

One house away from the home that has THREE Ionic EV's (not plug in hybrids, the EV) they have a Model 3 and now a Model Y.

This is around the corner from where I live.

I need to take some pics. This is interesting.

I would like to know what type of electrical service they have to charge all those cars at the same time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

harperdc posted:

Jake brakes! :haw:

now I'm imagining putting in Jake brake sound effects to a EV truck in high regen mode going downhill...

buh buh buh buh buh buh buhb uh buh

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

A toddler is basically an exploit tool. Its snotty hands finds the flaws of your user interface before you can say "why is my ipad in greek".

iphone locked for the next 1,234,567,213 minutes please wait.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

RZA Encryption posted:

GM is thinking about making an EV-only brand to get some of that sweet, sweet investor money.

GM kicks around an idea to seize on EV enthusiasm, report says

I'm sure they would invent a totally new marque, but I hope they bring back Saturn!

Name it the Edison.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm almost positive your dealer is lying to you. Nothing on SCRAP-IT site indicates that leases would not be allowed (and that a five year lease would qualify but a three year lease would not). Why don't you contact SCRAP-IT and find out?

Also - the fed money stuff is bullshit. Yes, you don't get the tax credit. The captive finance arm gets the tax credit and at least in the US that is used to offset your capitalized cost for the lease. You get the money, just indirectly.

Also if you pay amt it is the only way to get it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Nfcknblvbl posted:

These things are pretty neat:

https://freewiretech.com/products/dc-boost-charger

Up to 120kW vehicle output with <30kW grid draw. 240V Split phase or 120Y208V grid connections. I'm surprised Tesla never installed things similar to this along remote highways.

because people will steal them?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Stultus Maximus posted:

I need to install a level 2 charger in my garage because this 110v poo poo is too slow.

When I had my garage built, I asked them to run 12-3 to it in case I wanted a 220v circuit in the future, so I do have that. I need to know how to wire it so I still have 110v going to my lights and regular outlets but 220v going to the charger. Are there any guides you all recommend? I've done plenty of my own home electrical work so I understand wiring but this particular thing is new to me.

This is what the box looks like (that's a switch that the hots are going to):

Are you sure that is the box they ran the unpowered 220 wire too? Are you sure they actually did what you asked? They should have ran a one ground 3 insulated wire unconnected from your breaker box to somewhere in the garage, or just installed a 220 outlet in the garage like a normal electrician would. Is all of this run from one breaker in your houses breaker box? That is usually what they do for a detached and it is crap.

This is AI I just assumed anyone building a garage would have the utility connect a new 200 amp service dedicated too it because you need juice to build that custom fierorrari you been dreaming of.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I like big trucks and I cannot lie.

AI amazed that car made for men with small packages is extremely large.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MomJeans420 posted:

Judging from people I know this seems to be in the ballpark, although the more recent purchasers of EVs I know don't seem like they'll be switching back.

https://twitter.com/staunovo/status/1388179639563128832?s=20

My wife refused to ever check if the car was actually charging after half rear end plugging it in repeatedly. I think she has Exxon in her 401k.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

someone should do an ultra-light fiberglass slide-in that uses the truck's battery for everything

truck cap and inflatable mattress. Done!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

pun pundit posted:

It takes about as much electricity to refine gasoline for 100 miles of driving as it takes to propel an EV 100 miles (although hard numbers are hard to come by, it might be more or less) so you wouldn't need more energy generation. Better energy distribution, certainly, but not more generation.

Also it would take this statement being true which it isn't. Shockingly most of the energy a refinery uses to crack oil comes from burning oil and oil waste products directly. Luckily we are able to add capacity using solar and wind in much smaller and dispersed generation then large power plants that need massive scale to be efficient.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Fame Douglas posted:

Buying a performance SUV is pretty dumb in the first place.

Wrong. Trollblazers for life.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

bird with big dick posted:

There's absolutely software fuckery happening but I'm also not convinced it'll get fixed to everyone's satisfaction due to the Battery Degradation Engineer or whatever saying "nope that'll cause too many warranty claims" or something. I'm a Ford homer but I'm not totally delusional.

why didn't they just give me a 110% battery then?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ok Comboomer posted:

Any car that can have a SIM card and GPS in it will, regardless of what the customer wants, because it allows manufacturers to do things like sell “anonymized” customer travel logs to data brokerage firms for lots of money

I hope they make a mint telling people I go to work and stop to buy food sometimes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

gwrtheyrn posted:

If only people carried around computers in their pocket that had internet access

oh well EVs will just never work in this cruel and soon to be unlivable planet.

Edit: also I mentioned this before but if you stole the map memory card out of a first gen leaf the heat and air conditioning couldn't functions because the screen would just stay locked on insert map card, lol.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

Crate 350, man.

A wankle will fit better

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kitten emergency posted:

I made a critical error talking about my EV at thanksgiving

you monster!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Buy a leg press machine so they can pop it out. Leg day is everyday.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Hey EV thread. I visited AI on the BYOB spaceship a few months ago, and started lurking in this thread, because my 2011 Mitsubishi was starting to give out and I was considering buying an ev to replace it.

I learned a lot from all the back and forth itt, which made my buying decision a lot easier. Now that I am a Tesla owner I thought I should stop by and say thanks, and you all could congratulate me or call me a musk simp or w/e.

We love all ev owners here even if you bought from the fifth element bad guy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

On-demand comprehensive insurance triggered by the emergency brake assist.

This but the insurance company pays for the data and cancels your policy before the collision occurs.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

What if I just play them on my phone instead? In an f350 loaded with a 50,000lb trailer? You can’t stop me cause I can’t stop!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Russian Bear posted:

Hand cranked windows in a new EV would be hilarious and amazing.

Extend that range

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Resident traffic engineer here to remind everyone to please respect speed laws. Going fast only ever saves you minutes at best. You’ll get where you need to be, promise. No need to rush it. There’s too many idiots on the roads and going fast impacts your reaction time / braking distances.

That is why I need to be in front of them so when they crash I am not delayed

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My leaf was fantastic for commuting in traffic every soul crushing day for the life of the lease until I got the whole office moved closer to my house and bought a mustang.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Indiana_Krom posted:

Battery degradation is a thing that happens no matter what you do, but trying to guess how much one has is a fools errand.

Leafs have an app (aftermarket with an obd2 dongle) that reads the gids, essential when buying a used one since the car is designed to lie and hide the true battery condition. Not sure if it works on newer ones.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

priznat posted:

They’re all model 3s that the developer’s idiot son had crashed :haw:

Look it said auto pilot don’t blame me cause it don’t work .

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Why on earth is thy cable tucked underneath the bonnet? Seems like a great way to invite potentially expensive vandalism.

free battery and air cleaner yes!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This is the worst thread in AI since the racist mustang guy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

President Beep posted:

“Woah, these things are electric?!”

Mine came with 10 free oil changes.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Are those track things you bolt on tires?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Antillie posted:

If its really that hard to make FSD work I'm glad I didn't waste $10,000 on it.

I just pay some guy that owes his bookie 8 bucks to self drive me.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

I like the reverse sound, because it warns me that I am in reverse.

This is my reverse is next to first gearshift. The beeps are coming from inside the car!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah well Toyota made my wife expect quality work and now she is mad at me after we make love!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
drat In 2013 I paid a flat $2 that included a 1 an hour parking spot for all day, which people would ice cause it was cheaper. Ice holes! Also people would point and laugh at my leaf it owned.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Related weird question about the tax rebate. I bought a Polestar 2 in Jan of this year and due to work, I may be relocating abroad where I likely won't need a vehicle. If I sell my car and move in say, October, can I still claim the $7500 rebate?

Assuming you didn’t make too much money and also assuming you made enough to have incurred 7500 in tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

During my multiple EV question day yesterday, I never mentioned my one boomer coworker, who managed to be wrong about every sentence he spoke

He started off with “So I was reading about them there electric cars” so I knew I was in for a trip. He mentioned that a lot of manufacturers were making cars and he didn’t realize. I was hopeful and said yeah more is awesome, some neat stuff is coming out. He then says he heard Toyota was making the best one. Now I know stuff like that is subjective, but I don’t think anyone is calling the bz4X (which I assume is what he was referring to?) the best at anything.

I did not say anything contrary to him through the conversation because in no way did I want to deal with that.

He then said hydrogen was the way to go, but, did you know the second bomb we dropped on Japan was a hydrogen one? Makes you wonder about how safe that’ll be in a car! And then also something about how he didn’t believe a hydrogen puncture would be safe despite tests saying it would. I’m honestly unsure if he thinks it would go atomic or his train of thought was that random.

He then got on the topic of how battery swapping was the only way you can go long distance with a battery and how that’s what companies are going to start doing. He said they can swap a dead battery with a full one in only 20 minutes and we’ll never see a battery get charged that fast. At this point I actually did interject and say I recently went to Chicago (from east-central Ohio) and only needed a half hour charge each way, he was absolutely incredulous at that.

The poo poo I put up with since going electric, man

Just say you would never buy an electric car and pretend you don't have one.