Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Gotta say Pennsylvania looks like a tough though still plausible gap to make up even with a big Dem vote surge from cities with the silver lining being that there's a slim chance Biden may not need it. Glad I didn't stay up all night watching these results though since as I expected from America's ceaseless need for drama and horse race elections it's nowhere near decided.

It's crazy that consistent +9ish national polls for Biden and an absolutely terrible campaign by Trump and all of the Biden campaigns money and endorsements apparently again translates into a nail biter election and this situation at 7 AM the day after, though I can't say I'm terribly surprised either as the U.S is just so loving polarized and the Electoral College system so broken that polls don't seem to matter like they used too. I could see Trump setting a new Popular Vote/Electoral College gap record if he pulls this off, which the Pennsylvania situation has me feeling is a coin toss situation.

I mean....Biden is doing better than Clinton I suppose as Trump had locked it up by I believe 10ish in 2016 with a -3.5 poll deficit and his -9 poll deficit apparently gets him to the morning and a coin flip away from re-election. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

I mainly just look at where things stand right now and come to the same conclusion I have for the last 15 years or so in that the United States is just insanely polarized politically and it bears out in every election it has. Yet again it's insanely split down the middle. The way it's the former blue wall states still waiting to come in and be declared right down to the most obvious tipping point states and a near electoral college tie just feels a little too scripted in some ways. RATINGS!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Like I don't know I just swear sometimes it feels like the various states election commissions, party operatives and various news agencies get together a few weeks ahead of the election to look at what states are most likely to be tipping point states and all reach a gentleman's agreement to have those states count their votes the slowest or in lopsided (by district) ways to ensure maximum "stay tuned to your screen it's a horserace ladies and gentleman" 24 hour news programming where it's dead even for as long as can possibly be maintained. This year Florida wasn't expected to be a tipping point state and Pennsylvania was instead so Florida goes in for Trump early to keep the numbers as close to dead even in the electoral vote tally as possible and Pennsylvania takes forever with a big Trump lead for Biden to try to overcome before teasing a blue shift to Biden based on it being mostly Democrat strongholds to count and all of this for as much of the counting process as possible to keep people in suspense and staying tuned or punching F5 on there keyboards.

Again saying that's what it FEELS like basically every General Election since 2000 and just wholly appropriate for the social media age of Engage, Click, Like and Subscribe. I can't help but feel jerked around by the process a little waking up to this scenario and tons of uncertainty and Trump doing Trump things doesn't feel like a very expedient and Democratic process so what else is new. It also exponentially raises the chances of the feared election/post election day violence scenario. All the same still glad I did the unplug full nights sleep approach this year since I fully expected this if maybe not in a quite so on the nose fashion.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

i was only asleep for a couple of hours, but the mood seems to be radically different than last night. biden looks like he's going to handily win afterall?

Michigan looks promising to me, Pennsylvania I'm really not so sure and wouldn't put any money on.

Kale
May 14, 2010

GOP now basically forced to see how this plays out

LeeMajors posted:

I love this reality where the GOP shoots out to a huge lead and we have to wait forever for DEMOCRATIC STRONGHOLDS to be counted lol

It's my own personal hell.

Yeah it's really loving bad

Kale
May 14, 2010

loving :lol: a guy on Reddit said it you guys!!!! It must be true!!!!!

Oh it's Covok.......I'm not the type to pick on a poster by name and don't mean to even approach that level of commentary but come on man seriously? If you're that much of a bundle of nerves for your own mental health seriously don't go to places like Reddit for takes where people literally just say poo poo and post memes they want to post in droves. I might not even suggest some threads here if your firmly in that category

Kale fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 4, 2020

Kale
May 14, 2010

Rea posted:

Lay off, dude. Covok is right to be anxious when so much is riding on this election, and things are as neck-and-neck as they are right now.

It's the going to Reddit and taking some random conservative shitposter's word for granted when your anxious thing that seems counterproductive to me basically

Shirkelton posted:

I guarantee they had a better read on this election than you did a week ago.

No cause I figured the polls would be off by a lot and we'd be in a close scenario that wouldn't be decided on election night or even the next morning and that at best we'd be waiting on a Blue Shift from mail-in and absentee ballots, which is why I chose to go to bed and I didn't need to read Reddit memes to figure that out.

Kale
May 14, 2010

That man! I want THAT man for President! I love the things he says and he "tells it like it is". - 50% of America again :911:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Well Michigan officials now saying they'll have an "unofficial" tally some time in the next 24 hours and Pennsylvania will probably start counting again sometime in December at this rate so I'm gonna get on with my day finally I think. I still swear to loving god the state electoral commissions look at how things are shaking up in a knowingly polarized electorate and plan where and how fast or not they will count votes based on what is likeliest to be tipping point scenarios to draw election coverage out for as long as loving possible and ensure no election is called to early and viewers and social media F5'ers don't disengage early on election night. Like hell of a coincidence that it's virtually every single loving GE in the 21st century.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Nonsense posted:

I thought Nevada confirmed for Biden along with Arizona?

AP and Fox News called Arizona for Biden and I believe a good chunk of the vote expected to come in is from Maricopa County which leans Democratic. Perhaps this is why they called it so early. Nevada has been won by Obama twice and Clinton in the last 3 elections so it would have to be Trump's first state flip though they stopped counting for the day with Biden up by 8,000 votes. Not sure how the uncounted vote distribution is supposed to be split up by historic party turnout.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Zesty posted:

Michigan being called for Biden. Once Nevada is confirmed, that's it.

Still gotta have Arizona not swing back to Trump, though if it somehow does it's Fox News that's eating poo poo.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Terebus posted:

I did some probably dumb napkin math which says Biden will get about 400k more votes based on current R/D split.

I will honestly be surprised if Biden wins Georgia let alone by six digits. There's supposedly only about 200,000 left too. That's definitely in the reach padding scenario to me.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Coredump posted:

NBC has 333,000+ left. Are you getting numbers from Secretary of State website or somewhere else?

Grabbing that one from 538/ABC News but if the SOS said it's 330,000 then it's gotta be that obviously.

Kale
May 14, 2010

berserker posted:

The next dump of AZ votes is in 4 hours.

From what I understand Arizona is in the Trump expected to close the gap but not enough category and Nevada is in the likely for Biden to build/hold lead one. It's weird despite leading by only 8K in Nevada compared to 100K in Arizona or so I consider Nevada slightly less worrisome than Arizona given Nevada would be a Trump flip and Arizona would be a Biden flip I never really factored in before the election. Guess I'm really not used to the idea of states flipping that easily.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

Fox News has Biden at 264 with Nevada not yet called, and Biden up 7,500 with 75% of the vote in. If we knew more about what votes were outstanding, they could call this.

Fox News could be the one to call it first :getin:

I read it's mainly Clark and Washoe County that went Democratic last cycle. Especially Clark.

Kale
May 14, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

CNN has been reporting it all day. 400k in Maricopa and 200k in a neighboring blue county.

They don't so much seem blue as statistically much less read than the rest of Arizona. Trump won it by 50K votes in 2016 but it's said to have gotten bluer since then.

Kale
May 14, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

It's been holding around 3-1 or 4-1 the whole time. There are around 700k votes left last I looked.

Did some quick number crunching and If the 3-1 scenario holds through to the end of counting and there 700K votes left (which was roughly the number I got based on what's currently reported and what isn't roughly 45 minutes ago) then Biden would end up with something just over 500K of those which would be more than double what he needs to overcome the current deficit so I'm getting some of the bullish pundit calls for a clean Biden Pennsylvania win a bit more now.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ika posted:

Don't forget the other 200k go to Trump. Since he is 250k behind, if he gets 500k out of those 700k then trump gets the other 200k, which only puts him 50k ahead.

Oh right I forgot to subtract the other number. Still pretty close then even in that scenario.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I mean I get how him performing well compared to Clinton's 2016 numbers is a good thing but it's still loving bizarre to get the information communicated as "Oh man this is GREAT, here's how much Biden is losing by!! :)"

I think maybe it's because Pennsylvania in 2016 ended up being a very narrow win by Trump. Like 45,000 votes or so

Kale
May 14, 2010

CNN slowly reworking its front page narrative into the beloved horse one about razor thin margins with no context. I swear the sidebar story about "Dems path to majority narrows" used to have a thing about it referring to the Senate in brackets and they removed that context for a more generic horseracey sounding thing.

I still swear theres a gentlemans agreement to draw this all out for as long as possible. Joe Biden gets into go ahead territory with winning Michigan and Arizona and Nevada just stop updating more or less entirely early yesterday even before the fuckery in Maricopa and its all Georgia and Penn counting from there on out where Biden is making up ground and then just as it narrows to toss up territory they stop for the night too and it goes into today and the horserace narratives abound.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 5, 2020

Kale
May 14, 2010

The next race to call is gonna be a Trump win (probably NC) I'm convinced cause then the media gets to update its horserace narrative. Like in 2020 and the maximize engagement era theres no loving way the next call is a clincher state and they release the people from their monitors before the evening at the earliest. It really is loving dumb

Kind of how I swear it feels like it'll go from here call wise in priority for major news outlets

NC for Trump
Georgia if for Trump otherwise Nevada if for Biden
Pennsylvania if for Trump Otherwise Arizona if for Trump
Arizona if for Biden
Pennsylvania if its decisive or Nevada if decisive for ????

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 5, 2020

Kale
May 14, 2010

Oh yeah forgot about Alaska put that in for NC instead at next to be called

Kale
May 14, 2010

berserker posted:

Some of you guys need to realize how outsized Clark is in relation to the rest of the NV. It's literally >70% of the population of the entire state. Add in Washoe and you're at almost 90%. These other counties have almost no people in them. 90% of Nevada's land is federally owned.

Too put it another simpler way Clark County contains literal Las Vegas

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shammypants posted:

Why is Covok even allowed to shitpost anymore? It was maybe amusing once, but coming in to irritate and antagonize people stupidly is old now. Time to retire.

I just dont pay attention to gimmick posters really that dont contribute to the discussion

Kale
May 14, 2010

Apparently Judge Diamond was a George W. Bush appointee too

Kale
May 14, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

Man, Australia could have had, like, three Prime Ministers in the time it takes you yanks to finish this count.

I'm gonna say I've typically known who is going to be Prime Minister of Canada roughly 4-5 hours after I voted so about, so I'm gonna say I don't know close to 20. Which day into the U.S election is this again?

Kale
May 14, 2010

prak posted:

The Electoral College would be a better way to break a tie than a coin flip.

How about going by popular vote? :colbert:

Kale
May 14, 2010

The absolute Herculean effort it's taken for the U.S not to re-elect possibly the biggest shitlord whiny petty gently caress of a human being it has possibly ever produced. Goddamn!

I'm a little worried about the poo poo he and the GOP are going to try to pull in the lame duck period out of revenge cause I don't see any reason why Trump wouldn't go for revenge any way he can. Still another wild 2 months.

Kale
May 14, 2010

:lol: I honestly forgot about the NoJoe's in the last 3 days of butt clenching.

Kale
May 14, 2010

KillHour posted:

Decision Desk HQ already did.

One of the 7 accounts designated by twitter as credible sources to be allowed to call the election without getting in poo poo for disinformation I believe.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I only have a couple hours before I have to go to work so it would be nice to see a major network not drag this out all day if one of The 7 has already called it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

loving NoJoes man holy poo poo. It's the same drat routine since he received the nomination. :stare:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The ostensibly leftist weirdies who want people not to enjoy things are utterly baffling. Even the loving Bolsheviks knew people ought to experience joy once in a while.

skylined! posted:

Really on-brand for SA for this thread to go from nail biting to infighting and threadshitting almost immediately after PA flipped.

Probably some have been waiting the last 3 days to do the Joe Biden rapist warmonger centrist POS that will see the rise of the competent uber fascist GOP candidate in 2024 elected in a landslide and if you disagree with me you are Nazi rape apologist war hawk routine.

Aren't most of them hard core Chapo Trap House listeners too? It seems like that podcast and the whole dirtbag left philosophy has a tremendous influence on this group.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Madkal posted:

Classon, being a Canadian goon so therefore incapable of voting in the American election and also not directly under threat from a Trump presidency, wants to chastise everyone who voted for Biden. It's something they find easy to do from their position of saying "well I wouldn't have voted for him and things would have turned out better somehow for me anyway"

As a Canadian Goon I feel very much threatened by Donald Trump. He enables the lizard brain shithead in a lot of people and is a bane to rational consistent, critical and logical thinking in modern society second only to social media. As one among many who values rational thought processes, an understanding of the duties of ones station in their professional public lives and basic human decency I see none of this in Trump and no path forward for Canada and the rest of the NATO alliance in dealing with the guy as the main conduit to trade and shared values with America and it's people. I just see a whiny goddamn gently caress that only cares about himself and his image.

I don't know maybe it's more of a values thing in believing that being an absolute dumb gently caress ignorant shitbag shouldn't reap tremendous rewards and an upward trajectory in public life, power and influence, but I definitely feel threatened by this man......

Kale
May 14, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

It's absolutely correct. My vote for president literally, LITERALLY did not count for anything.

Tell that to the people in Clayton if Biden does manage to hold on to the state.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Madkal posted:

I'm Canadian too and I know how badly a Trump presidency affects us, as well as the whole world. I was speaking more to Classon being unable to vote in the American election so knowing he has no control over it he can feel free to poo poo on Joe voters because he couldn't pull the lever for Joe or Donny.

Speaking of Sour Grapes I'm expecting a lot from Trump regarding life being President in the coming months.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3dPwF63R0

Been saving this one for months now to convey feelings

Kale
May 14, 2010

That entrance was legit incredible :stare:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Nice it's the Obama 08' Inauguration theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU