Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, it's definitely a strong premier.

One thing that stood out to me, though?

The last shot of a guy buying a newspaper looked a lot like promo art of Jean. We can't see his eyes, so it's not a lock, but... odd to see someone who looked like him there anyway. And if this wasn't important, it'd be odd to spend so much time showing a nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

- I'm still wondering whether it's true that only Eldians can be turned into a titan. I'm expecting it to be false in one of two ways: either everyone can be turned, or there are far more Eldians than Marley claims.

Interested in what makes you think this one, if you don't mind me asking about it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Total speculation, I don't think this was ever addressed in the manga, but maybe shifters are special and can suppress the uncontrollable titanification of bodily fluids that regular people with Eldian factor undergo.

Kruger actually mentions that he had an Eldian doctor fake his blood tests. The lengths he had to go to in staying hidden don't mean that there's no Eldians going unknown, but it does suggest that they're rare, and generally people who make serious efforts to ensure nobody finds out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Very meticulous and impressive character acting and animation this week.

I also liked the flash of the soldier jumping off a building, followed by people finding his body in the morning. Just an echo of how much the war haunts the survivors. A grim reminder, if you will.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Presumably yes, they had a bunch of drugged Eldians hidden in nooks around Shiganshina, keeping them there for god knows how many days while camping out waiting for the Survey Corps to show up.

I think the anime or the manga has a shot of breathing tubes poking out of the ground. Zeke kept them drugged up underground to be able to pull an army out of thin air. It wasn't a bad strategy.

Unfortunately for him, he underestimated both the determination of the Survey Corps and the raw talent of Captain Levi. If not for Pieck, Marley would have faced a complete loss.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Started a rewatch from the beginning, so here are my notes on episodes 1 and 2:

- That title of episode 1 sure is something.
- First appearance of young Keith Shadis, and in a way that's disconnected from how we'd see him next. I expect he was removed as Survey Corps commander after that public outburst.

He actually quit, making him the only Survey Corps commander to survive his tenure. They were never meant to succeed, so firing him for failure would be odd. Meanwhile, he kept seeing Erwin do better than he ever could, making his "I am a Great Man who will Save Humanity" fantasy fall apart.

Easy to see why he left the job to someone else.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Roger! I guess I didn't pick up on the fact the Marleyans didn't know where the Attack Titan was.

Really great to get some Annie characterization in this episode. Still chilling in a diamond.

I mean, as far as we know.

It's been five years, after all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gantolandon posted:

To be fair, he had it easier inside the walls. Having passed Warrior training and having taken part in an actual war, he was like a college student forced to take a class in an elementary school. It's easy to be the responsible and upstanding one when you are the second best soldier in your unit.

He still outscored Bert and Annie, which is pretty good considering where he started. (Even with Annie sandbagging a bit).

Reiner managed to be the hero he dreamed of being... while betraying everyone who idolized him.

No wonder he snapped.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

- We've seen two pure titans capable of speech: the one that speaks to Ilse and Connie's mother. We don't know if this is related to them being abnormal titans or even what causes abnormal titans to exist at all. Shifters can be capable of speech, but it seems to be a function of their anatomy (Zeke can speak just fine, Ymir has problems but can make herself understood) as opposed to their will.

Abnormals seem to be a product of people with strong drives that stay with them even as Titans. So Dina ignored Bert and went to her husband's house (where she killed his new wife) and followed his son, or how one of Ymir's cultists managed to suppress her impulses completely when she thinks she's found Lady Ymir again, only giving in to them when she finds that Ilse isn't Ymir.

Maera Sior posted:

Small things I've wondered about between the current season and the rewatch:

- It seems like shifters will automatically heal unless they will themselves not to (Reiner and his arm in season 2, Eren and his leg in the present), but that makes some of the characters seem a bit like idiots in retrospect. With all the training injuries that Eren likely got (such as in episode 3, hitting his head followed by the steam in the dining hall), how did no one ever noticed that there was something very strange about how he never stayed injured? Did RBA never notice that Eren was steaming on occasion?

Apparently not. But most of the injuries he healed probably looked like minor ones, and Reiner expected the only titan they were after was the Founder. Finding out that there was one in circulation changed things pretty quickly.

Maera Sior posted:

- Why did Annie let Armin go when she was hunting Eren during the scouting expedition? She never gave a gently caress about killing people and Armin was the smartest, so why let him live?

Annie and Armin both passed up a lot of chances to get the other, despite knowing they were the biggest threats. It's a weird little running thing.

Maera Sior posted:

- Allowing relatives to compete for shifter positions seems like a mistake. Marcel promoted Reiner and sabotaged Porco to save his brother, and Reiner is already going down the same path with Falco and Gabi. Are we going to see the same story play out on the other side with Colt and Falco? What does Marley gain from allowing family loyalties to override loyalty to the military state?

Well, they allow families with multiple talented candidates to put them all in the list. Making a rule against it means exchanging a chance of losing a rising star like Gabi for a guarantee. Further, close relatives inherit more memories most of the time, letting them adapt more quickly to the role.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

Aren't they also like 12 or something during training? Normal kids heal stupid quick.

It's also Eren, who'd try to claim a broken arm was just a scratch if it let him kill Titans sooner. He probably took serious injuries, said it was nothing, and healed so fast it just looked like he was right.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Yeah, I had a similar thought regarding the statue. Artistic license, I guess.

Other thoughts:
- No surprise that the Tyburs sold out the Eldians, but until 15 minute ago I hadn't considered it as indicative of the political situation before the war. Could they see that Eldia was crumbling and they wanted to secure the best position they could? Did they have a grudge against the royal family? How early did they back Marleyan forces?
- Just how much power do the Tyburs wield, and how much knowledge does the public and general military have of this?
- Poor Falco. We knew it was coming, but he's about to be blindsided.
- Trying to recruit Reiner to whatever their plan is...not a terrible idea on paper, but likely to blow up in their faces. They know Reiner is unstable and might think he's a good target for that reason, but they don't have a good sense of where his loyalty lies and it's been a number of years since any of them have talked to him.

ETA: Are we supposed to know who Colt and Falco's parents were from the scenes with Grisha and the restorationists? I'm trying to do the math in my head and running into problems. Falco is younger than Eren, so presumably their parents would have been snagged at a later date.

Colt and Falco's parents weren't restorationists. It was an uncle of his who was the "Grice" in Grisha's flashbacks. Colt and Falco's parents actually showed up to greet them coming back from the train. Basically, they were completely uninvolved, but they were at risk of being considered guilty by association, so Colt and Falco had to work their asses off to "prove" their loyalty to Marley.

And yeah. Poor Falco. He's a good kid. He doesn't deserve whatever's coming.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Missed jokes opportunity of Reiner mistaking Eren for Jean

Why would Reiner think Eren was a horse?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Viridiant posted:

"If we have a pizza party with everyone over there, will we finally be free?"

No.

Sasha will eat all the pizza, starting a new war. Tragedy is inevitable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Rewatched episodes 14-17. There's a few parts where they clearly had to pad things out, but overall they were much better directed than the previous episodes. Looking forward to the remainder of this arc (minus one episode).

Watched Wall Sina, Goodbye and it was excellent. A few thoughts:
- Travel passes and government IDs should not be a surprise, but I believe this is the first I've seen of them.
- The impression I get from the scenes with Annie and her father is that her father trained her so they'd become honorary Marleyans, regardless of what she wanted. He was willing to sacrifice a healthy relationship and his health in order to get it, but he broke down when she was assigned to go to Paradis. Or maybe when he found out she'd have a predetermined lifespan. It's unclear, there's options.
- Those ending cards, oof.

I think he broke down because he realized that, even though she was initially a tool for his advancement, he really did love her as a daughter. And now he was sending her out to maybe die in the most feared country in the world.

Not the most pleasant experience.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

They'd probably want to, but I'm not even sure that's possible. There's just no room for some kind of feature movie length side story that you could jury rig up, at least not one that fits with the post-basement themes of the manga. Every other artist's interpretation of the original conceit of the series has been pure fanfiction, leaning into the first season's lie that the setting is post-apocalyptic.

I don't know why Isayama allowed these spin-offs to occur, when he has been very willing to put his foot down on adapting past season 2 until more manga had been written. Maybe he was fine with letting other people play with his product and make their own money off him, while he considered the manga and anime the canon experience.

I think the idea being discussed there would be having the last arc of the manga as a movie. Not adapting a sidestory.

(And I think some aspects from Annie and Levi's sidestories have appeared in the main story, even though they weren't written by Isayama directly)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

So if it's 2 chapters per episode, where does it place the eventual episode count?

25-ish.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

the manga has extremely rough art a lot of the time, but Isayama's kinetic energy in his fight scenes especially with Eren's titan are impeccable.

Yeah, it got better, and now I'd say it's usually good, but... it took some time to reach that level.

That said, although the first arc is rough, at least it isn't the pre-serialization one-shot. That crossed the line from "not great" to "actively painful". I can see why Shonen Jump rejected it.

That said, I remember some interview with a mangaka, maybe Araki, talking about what's important to succeed. It's not good art, although that can help, as much as it is distinct art. You want to be able to tell a manga in a crowd, and even the weak early art for AoT managed that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

- Armin sure grew up fast. Does the holder of the Colossal Titan grow when they take it on? (There's a small sliver of Armin's hair under the helmet and one shot of his face, it's pretty subtle.)

I mean, Bert was 6'4''. And Eren went from 5'7'' to six foot even during the timeskip, while Jean went from 5'9'' to 6'3'', so it's not like there's no points of comparison here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Is she even Eldian?

Yes, but she's an Ackerman, and the rules are weird for Ackermans. They've got the power of Titans in a fun-sized package, and they're immune to the mindwipes, so we don't know if they can go full sized titan or not.

(She could in a gag page at the end of a volume of the manga, and in a hallucination in one of the OVAs, but until we get Baggy Pants Leon saving the survey corps, fake previews are, well, fake.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Nah. Even from the first season I was like this boy ain't right. Remember that his oath to himself wasn't to achieve peace, but to extinct all Titans. This was in him all along.

He killed two people with no hesitation at age nine. Eren's always been... Special. (After all, he was born in this world.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I really liked all the plot and character stuff this episode but I think this episode cemented for me that I do not like the increased 3d. It's really immersion breaking in a show that relies on immersion and tension and it frankly just does not look as good as the drawn scenes from this and previous seasons.

Also wow, even Magath was more concerned over the Eldian's than Willy. That dude really went hard on the self-hatred. Considering how little time we've known them, both of them are really interesting characters imo.

I'm not sure that's quite... hmn.

I agree he's self-loathing, but notice how he puts "improving the reputation of Eldians" as one of his top priorities from his years of work. He also has a bunch of kids, which is more than a little hypocritical if his goal is the extinction of his people.

He's putting this in the ghetto to make the hated Eldians of Liberio into sanctified martyrs. Which requires a certain willingness to kill them.

Magath is being called on to be a bastard, with Tybur bringing up the things he's done in the past as a way to confirm he's going to do this and not blink.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Mikasa saying "let's go home". Are you serious. Go home NOW?

Scouts! I have just received new orders. Mikasa say the war is cancelled, and we can all go home. Marley is getting paid off for its crimes, and our friends will have died... will have died for nothing. But... we can all go home. Meanwhile, ideas like peace, freedom and justice - they get packed up. But... we can all go home. Well... I'm not going home. I'm gonna get in my Titan, and I'm going on stage, and I'm going to kick that Warhammer Titan's rear end so HARD... that the next Helos wanna-be is gonna feel it. Now who wants to go home... and who wants to go with ME!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Pieck kind of rules though

Pieck's smart enough to impress Zeke "Wonderboy" Yeager, cute enough that Marleyians are crushing on her in public (her support squad doesn't have a single Eldian in it), and capable enough to be singlehandedly responsible for salvaging the disaster of the raid on Paradis. If not for her, Marley would have been annihilated in their middle eastern war.

There's enough capable people on the show that she's not the guaranteed winner of "most competent", but she's definitely one of the top candidates for the title.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It actually really works that there was a studio change for this season, as the perspective flipped to the other side for this story, so all of our old protagonists looking odd and really loving scary is perfect since they are being seen from the eyes of people that have never encountered the "Devils from Paradis".

Also, this was the single most fire episode of this series I've ever viewed, and that's saying a lot considering I usually think that two or three times each season.

Something I saw pointed out is that the new tracks for the season tend to be associated with Marley, while Paradis keeps the old music. Just another clever little thing to keep up this season feeling distinct.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

This season has imo finally clarified why Ymir went with them and ironically in hindsight makes her one of the most selfless characters in the show. If Reiner and Bert had returned in defeat having lost the Female and Jaw Titans and compromising the secrets of the outside world they almost certainly would have been replaced (eaten), possibly their entire families may have been purged and there may even have been other repercussions for the Eldian's.

Sure in hindsight it still would have been better for her to have stayed but it's also now possible to see why she made that decision and why she never considered Paradis had a chance of winning in the end.

She actually left after Eren showed the power of the Founding Titan, so she knew Paradis had a hole card, and that Historia had someone who could protect her. (And, judging by Eren not saying anything about finding out the secret of how he used the Founding Titan that we saw, Ymir's a pretty good judge of character on that point. Well, she's a pretty good judge of character in general, so that's no surprise.)

Going with Reiner and Bert was primarily about, well, protecting Reiner and Bert. Eating Marcel allowed her to have five years of happiness (and to meet the love of her life) at the cost of his life. Protecting Reiner and Bert and their families from the consequences of her actions was paying them back.

Much as she tried to hide it, Ymir was an incredibly selfless person. She could have had eight more good years with Historia, but instead she gave her life for people suffering like she had suffered, finally succeeding in saving someone (anyone) like she hadn't been able to when her cult was captured.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Thank you for being the first person I've seen who understands Ymir's story. She lived a selfless lie, and was punished for it. When she got another chance she wanted to be true to herself and her desires, to look out only for herself. But she couldn't overcome her own nature, because she's fundamentally too good, able to sympathize with both the Paradis folks and the Warriors. She realizes that the true self she's trying to live is her selfless side, and the abrasive and selfish own was front she put on to avoid being hurt. And because of her capacity for sympathy and understanding, she takes the one course of action that, in her view, would save everyone - she would buy time for Eren and Historia to retreat, Bert and Ernie would avoid getting eaten by Titans, and she would be dragged back to Marley so they and their families wouldn't suffer, even knowing that it would all result in her death.
Ymir is a loving hero.

I mean, that's part of why her romance with Historia works so well. They were both liars.

Ymir was the "bad girl", the snarky, selfish bitch who only cared about getting her angle. Meanwhile, Historia was the pasteboard saint, always self-sacrificing and good.

Only, no matter how she tried to hide it, Ymir was still the same person she'd always been. Even when she was picking on people, she was helping them (like when she mocked Connie so he wouldn't have to think about what happened to his family). By contrast, Historia, even when she was trying to give her life for others, was selfish. She just wanted to be freed from her burden, to make people love her so that no-one would know what she was really like. She'd be the good girl from the storybook.

...And Ymir saw the real her, and didn't abandon her. And that meant she saw the real Ymir. Hardly a wonder they fell for each other.

The dynamic didn't change to the end. Ymir left Historia out of pure, selfless love for others, self sacrificing to the end.

Which pissed Historia right off. Her dialog there foreshadowed her later decisions. gently caress the world, gently caress humanity, gently caress the Walls, they can all go to hell. What mattered was Ymir, and Historia'd stick with her no matter what... except that Ymir didn't let her.

(It's similar to her saving Eren later. She's the enemy of mankind, the worst girl in the world!)

It's not that Historia's a bad person. (I don't think Ymir would have fallen in love if she was.) If you look at what she does when her hand is freest, it speaks quite well of her, with her starting an orphanage to ensure that the children from the underground don't suffer like she did, that they'll always have someone to love them. It's just that she is, well, selfish. Unlike Ymir, who can sacrifice herself for an "enemy", Historia would let the world burn for one person she loves. (She's rather like Mikasa in that respect, now that I think of it.)

(Comparing to other manga, I think Ymir and Thors from Vinland Saga would get along very well, to the surprise of pretty much everyone who knew them. )

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

It’s worth noting that Udo says Marleys treatment of Eldian is relatively kind compared to other countries.

Which is some fuckin poo poo.

I mean, Willy said that the Tyburs of the present are trying to make life better for Eldians, with a backhanded comment that implies this is a new development, and it seems to be true.

The most obvious point of comparison is the gate guards. In 817, the guards in charge of making sure Eldians didn't leave were Eren Kruger and Sergeant Major Gross. Kruger was an Eldian agent, but to secure his cover he had to send hundreds of his fellows to death or worse along the walls of Paradis, and Gross was even worse, murdering children for fun.

Meanwhile, their late, lamented modern counterparts are, from what we see of them, pretty decent guys. They treat Gabi and the other warrior candidates like people, joking with them, helping them, and even giving their lives to try and keep the kids safe.

If we assume that this is a wider pattern, than modern Marleyian Eldians have it... not remotely good, but not as terrible as it was. They can own property, have some legal rights, are given state educations, and are able to attain, with a lot of luck and massive sacrifice on the behalf of themselves or their families, some level of citizenship.

It's easy enough to imagine worse, with (for example) slavery being the default, or military service being mandatory, rather than "just" heavily encouraged.

It's deeply disturbing to think of Marley as the nation that's kindest to Eldians, but there's enough room to go down that you can kind of understand why people like Eren's grandparents and the Braun family think of Marley as a nation that's good to them, rather than them seeing things as they are.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I looked it up and yeah you’re right, I had it in my head they were originally a noble family fallen from grace.

I mean, they sort of were, so it's not like you were wrong. The Ackerman family was one of the noble families when the walls went up, but they and the Asian clan were hounded to near extinction when both groups refused to play ball with the King.

It's just, unlike the other noble families (all chosen, Ackermans included because they were immune to the Founder's mindwipes) they were also subjects of Ymir.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eikre posted:

Well... That's disputable. He's the CO. It was under his command that the battle plans at Shiganshina were organized. It was him at the meeting of general officers who brought up the long-term implications of air warfare. He's had the foresight to keep the secret of his royal blood all his life. He's thoughtful, generally, and strategically perceptive. I don't know if we're supposed to take the esteem that other characters have explicitly proclaimed for Armin's intelligence as a conceit that he's the smartest dude around, but Zeke's planning skills are reliable.

I think Isayama's explicitly said that Zeke's one of the smartest people in the manga. It's not that it necessarily means that he's the best planner (Hange is another of the top geniuses, smarter than Erwin, but Erwin was the better military strategist), but he's definitely up there. Just look at Shiganshina. Zeke had all kinds of strategies in play, good enough to wipe out all but nine members of the Survey Corps. Unfortunately for him, Levi was one of those nine survivors and, well...

Things went off script.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

teagone posted:

:hmmyes::agreed: Same feels. Same feels for sure.

Same feels.

Same history.

Same mistakes.

Over and over again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eikre posted:

Levi always moody, but the dude gets the loving job done. Let's examine the values that he's taken the time to articulate:

-It is impossible to judge for certain what's right and what's wrong; true virtue is in trying your hardest to make the right call and holding nothing back to execute it.
-Don't be wasteful.

If his comrades have made thoughtful decisions and have chosen to make full use of their assets, I think the worst that Levi is going to be is impolite. He plays the objective. It's why he had such an understanding with Erwin.

I mean, one of his intro scenes was clasping the bloody hands of a dying scout to promise him that his death wasn't in vain.

Levi's quite used to doing things he hates for the good of the Survey Corps.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

teagone posted:

There are definitely no true "good guys" in the current war really, yeah — only monsters and the casualties they leave in their wake.

I mean, there's Falco Grice.

Maybe it's a "No Homers" kind of thing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the violence in this season is thematically distressing because of the moral lines the protagonists have crossed but i don't for a minute think it's any more shocking or visually disturbing than e.g. Eren's mom getting eaten all the way back at the beginning

like said someone said upthread there was a point where AoT was basically a horror manga

i'm fine with what it's evolved into since but i don't think that titans have ever been as unsettling and grotesque as they were when we knew nothing about them

I think it's arguably more disturbing because it's more grounded. Relatively few of us have seen friends or loved ones eaten alive by giants, but people get shot every year. It's a different feeling.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Perhaps, but mitochondrial DNA is heritable from the mother. Meanwhile, on the assumption that the history written by victims of the Eldian empire weren't pure lies, one of the crimes of the Eldian Empire was forced births in order to swell the numbers of Ymir subjects, who could presumably be used as titan soldiers in the Eldian army for the benefit of the Eldian elites.

Ergo, the titan factor can be passed on both father or mother to child, aka does not follow any conventional rules of heritability.

We actually have proof of that in the show proper without even having to evaluate the accuracy of Marley's histories regarding the Eldian Empire.

Mikasa's an Ackerman, which means she's tapping into Titan powers. Sure, she's putting it all in a 5'9'' frame instead of a fifty foot one, but it's the same basic supernatural power at work, showing her as one of the people of Ymir.

Thing is, that's her dad's side of the family. Her mother was Asian, the last in the world as far as civilization within the walls was concerned. If Titan powers were matrilineal, Mikasa'd be a regular human, and probably dead, along with Eren.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess if they came back with an extra titan they could reasonably claim the operation was a success, even if it wasn't the one they were actually looking for. Reiner's fear that drove him to initially attack Shiganshina was that they'd all be punished for failure if they returned.

His fear?

Oh, no. That fear was how Reiner sold things to the others. His real motive was to be a hero.

The fact that he succeeded in his goal (at the cost of everyone else) is part of why the irony is so on-point.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dipwood posted:

I know it's a bit hypocritical to say this in the discussion thread of an anime, but it's best to just avoid all media related to an ongoing show you're watching, especially if there's other content available that advances the plot (manga/LN/book/etc). I know there's an urge to CONSUME but it's best to resist it.

I mean, if you're up to date and there's no source novel or manga, it's unlikely there'll be spoilers. (Unless it's a show with regular leaks). And it's nice to discuss things with other people.

It's just with things like Attack on Titan (especially for an anime only) you really need to be careful who you talk about it with.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Pretty much everything happened as I figured it would, which is pretty lovely because of the content being what it is. I'm not sure what we get next, other than a combination of infodump and flashbacks to show what we missed.

Interesting that Zeke had groupies. I can see a few ways to make the pieces of Zeke's rebel group/the Eldian restorationist movement/international(?) anti-Marley alliance (not sure what's most accurate) fit in with with Paradis. I'm sure we'll find out in the next few episodes how it happened.

Is there a name for Zeke's groupies that's preferred by fandom? The Zeke Commandos, Zeke Consortium, and the Yaeger Mobsters were all suggested by my other half.

The Marleyian Volunteers is the most common, since that's what they're called in the manga. It's a case where the official name came fast enough to prevent any nicknames from achieving mass acceptance.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 1, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Can you please stop posting manga stuff in the anime thread.

I only said it because the title of the next episode is "brave volunteers".

Understand the caution, though, and I apologize if that's out of line.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

General Probe posted:

Yeah, someone mentioned a few posts up that Marley is loosely modeled on Italy/Rome and Rome was well know for integrating vanquished enemies into their army/society. Hell, many Colonial powers had Colonial armies that were staffed by the people of the colony.

Magath also mentioned that one of Marley's problems is that it's at war all the time, but the country's native population isn't effected by it, so they have no reason to stop. (It's why he has the draft on his list of policy suggestions). Vanquished enemies in the army fit pretty well with that model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

teagone posted:

Absolutely. They're both huge pieces of poo poo.

True, but Magath at least acknowledges it.

He's a high ranking member of a racist, fascist dictatorship who realizes that racist, fascist dictatorships are bad, so he's trying to reform it, and he treats Eldians under his command as people. He's a piece of poo poo, but arguably less of a piece of poo poo than, say, Zackly. It's just he's on the wrong side in addition to his personal faults.

Meanwhile, the fat guy was just purestrain piece of poo poo.