Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I am almost certain Margit randomly varies the timing on his swings even if it's the same attack from instance to instance. If that's the case that's part of why that fight is so difficult.

I'm not complaining though, I love it, been awhile since a Fromsoft game tested me like the Margit fight did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vermain posted:

The large windup attack absolutely varies its timing unless you gain distance to force him to use a charge. It's not the first time they've used the trick, but it's making the fight especially tedious when combined with the outrageous backhopping.

I'm playing a Prisoner so the backhop didn't bother me, I just fired off a couple glintswords while waiting for him to charge me again.

sigher posted:

Margit also has options as to what move he'll do next, I've never seen a boss combo into so many different strings of the same moves before in a Soulsborne. Some of his attacks will also change depending on the distance you are from him.

I've made it to about half health so far.

What I really love is that he'll cancel a combo string to use another attack if it's appropriate to your positioning/actions. For example, I've seen him throw a single dagger into a charge instead of double daggers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WoodrowSkillson posted:

And elden ring just catastrophically crashed my PS5 and it won't restart lol

elden ring of death

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

beep by grandpa posted:

Hey yall PSA :siren: reminder to stop panic cycling items to get back to the heal

if u just hold down 👇 on the dpad for about 0.75s it will instantly cycle back to the 1st item in ur quick slots (which DUH should be your healing flask, whatever it's called this time idfk)

I immediately moved my two flasks to the Pouch system once I realized what it was. DPad Down is now strictly for combat items.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NotNut posted:

I'm getting weird framerate drops. They always happen when I pass certain areas and drop the framerate to about 5 FPS, but if I stand there for a second they go away. It feels almost like the game's loading something. My GPU usage also decreases when they happen, like something is forcing the game not to render as fast as it should rather than my card not being able to keep up. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes, it's your rig loading the next area. The data streaming isn't as slick as it is in BotW, but considering how big the world is and how much is packed into it, kinda understandable.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

1. It's annoying I get only 10 messages before the oldest fades away, I've been proactively deleting any that don't get interactions

2. Has anyone seen if there are any actual secret doors in the game? After about 10 hours I haven't found any despite dozens of messages promising that there's a secret door. Attacking, rolling, interacting -- none of them reveal secret doors (if there are any).

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I guess similarly if I can't beat the tree sentinel this game is probably too hard for me huh

tree sentinel is a very big "don't you think this fight is really really hard are you sure there isn't something extremely important you're overlooking" gate. if you come back with the horse he's extremely manageable (same for the other boss in the lake to the south)

TeaJay posted:

Those who have already played further: without spoiling specifics, how viable is a mage build this time around? I started an astrologist and so far have been plinking away at mobs with my basic spell. I never played a mage before on Souls games, I always went with some kind of warrior type, so I wanted something different.

I've been playing a Prisoner (Dexterity & Intelligence) and been having a blast. Magic feels vastly better in this game than in any of the Souls.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orv posted:

Margit is Pontiff Sullyvahn almost 1:1 which is a boss they specifically moved later in 3 and was still a giant progression block for even good players. Making a boss like that the first story directed boss seems like an almost very clear “gently caress you for wanting difficulty settings” which I don’t think is a good call on From’s part.

Margit is way more fluid than the Pontiff. Particularly the knife throws are honestly the biggest issue for that fight, he fucks up anyone trying to flask or cast, and it means you want to stay closer to him than you'd want to otherwise -- which opens you up for the spin attack.

The trick I had for dealing with him without poison/bleed strats was to watch for when the camera would do this little "zoom", that's typically the tell for when he starts his actual attack instead of holding his preparation.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Spergatory posted:

Where are the outfits, game!? I've barely found any fashion so far.

Yeah I'm currently assaulting Stormveil and I'm still wearing peasant crap. Gear is way more stingy in this game than in DS3.

GruntyThrst posted:

Am I just bad or is level 20 not enough to realistically beat the first boss

That early on, your weapon matters way more than your levels. Go augment it to +2 or +3 if you can manage it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

is there a good place to stock up on the ore you need to do so, i'd love to shove a +2 or +3 longsword up that guy in the roundtable hall's rear end

The "Limgrave Tunnels" dungeon at the northern bit of the lake has plenty of Smithing Stones, or you can go south of the starting dungeon (near the Seaside grace point) and farm the Tree-and-Beast Knights there who are fighting demihumans, they have a pretty solid chance to drop smithstone[1]s.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Anyone know of some good places to find Smithing Stone [1]s?

Either farm Tree-and-Beast Knights or search along the water line in Limgrave for mini-dungeons.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Books On Tape posted:

Where can I find some very early ranged combat options in Limgrave? I feel like so much of my time in combat is spent from a distance watching patterns I might as well be doing some sort of damage from range.

I started vagabond. I’d ideally like to find some incantations since I’m going str/fai.

Kalé at the Church of Elleh (right north of the start) sells throwing items and a crafting kit that lets you craft fire pots etc. He also sells a hint that leads to some sorceries.

I forget where I found it (possibly at the hub?) but there's also a bow being sold early on, and it's easy to craft arrows from the numerous bones and feathers you'll be finding.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Does spell duration scale with something (aside from this game's equivalent of the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring) or am I stuck casting Starlight 10 times per chalice dungeon?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'm finally going to break and buy a controller because kn+m is such an aggressive afterthought for this game. Is there a recommended or best controller for PC? Just use a dualsense?

The Xbox controllers are about as good as you can get. The Steam controllers have had some good reviews but there's a reason the Xbox controller has been the go-to for like 15 years now for PC gaming.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Has anyone figured out what's up with these stone steles that nearly always show up in boss arenas and throughout the world? The things that players like to lay messages near saying "If only I had a giant, but hole"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This explains a lot about why this background seemed familiar

https://twitter.com/oDarkSouls4/status/1497370478301880324

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

beep by grandpa posted:

FRIENDS, Something I'm noticing in this thread is I think we should all take the time to be a little more informational on the context your spoilers outside of your tags

Bear in mind that this is a 50 billion hour game that's been out for a day and change and prob no one on planet earth has beaten it legitimately yet so if you need help with something or want to share something important

Instead of spoiler tagging your entire block outright with zero clues on wtf you're talking about I think it would be more helpful for everyone here to tee it up a little bit outside of your tags on the area you are referring to so people who are farther into the game but still being mindful of spoilers can connect with you easier - just tryin to help out and make sure you guys connect with each other! :shobon:

Hey, I just wanted to get some feedback on the long sword that I looted from the first cave. Do you think it's a worthwhile weapon to upgrade?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wasn't feeling the mini-dungeons but Stormveil Castle is one of the better dungeons they've done. Especially if you're drunk on hubris and try a frontal assault instead of the coward's path.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Firstly, you have no right

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

KidDynamite posted:

it's what gets me in trouble for sure. but after that video of pro margit i'm trying to adjust my playstyle to the combat system. i wish it was like sekiro and you could parry easily and dodge cancel and have better i-frames and non of this input queue stuff.

KidDynamite posted:

please shut up. it's muscle memory from games with dodge cancels. i double tap dodge more than i'd like.

input queue is bad. it's ok that there's bad things in this fantastic game.

:razz:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hey guys this boss with an enormous amount of health and oddly complex attack chains really feels like a mid-game boss. Why is this guy an early-game boss? What gives?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orv posted:

Trouble is I'm fairly sure the game is balanced around things like Blood Slash in a lot of cases. There's some later bosses that you're not doing meaningful damage to with basic attacks, at least at a +14 weapon like I have.

Have you tried out the elemental greases on these bosses? It feels like this game has gone out of its way, compared to previous Souls game, to vary damage types and resistances.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

Someone else mentioned the reputation for 'dark souls hard' really has done a disservice to FromSoft's games, because so many people think the crazy stuff really good players can pull of is the baseline.

The other part of it is I see a lot of people thinking it "doesn't count" unless they do it the "hard way". No. Goddamn no. Look at all the poo poo you can craft. Bleed and poison your enemies. Shove them off cliffs. Backstab them. Coat your weapon with lightning fuckyou and cackle as your enemies convulse with painful electricity.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My character rolls the exact instant I let go of my roll button.

Have you eliminated your controller as a possible culprit?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rubberduke posted:

I dunno if some asked this already but how do you get past the contraption in the key dungeon in the tutorial dungeon? The thing keeps loving me up on the narrow pathway.

It owns you every time you try to get to that narrow path, right? Doesn't that suggest to you that playing by its rules isn't working? Is there some way to circumvent the rules as presented to you?

Find a place to drop down early while it's going up the slope so you have enough time to make it past the narrow pathway.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There is some really good circumstantial storytelling when you stop to consider how the major bosses fight and their approaches to dealing with you, the Problem.

The Margit and Godrick contrasts couldn't be more clear, for instance, or even how Godrick's tactics change in the second half of his fight when it becomes obvious that the Tarnished is a serious threat.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Does East Limgrave not have any mini dungeons? I only found the cliffside fort in the southeast and the back entrance to the mines in the northeast.

West Limgrave was stuffed to the brim with mini dungeons, surprised to find so few in the adjacent zone.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

queeb posted:

you get an item in stormveil that lets you place whatever scaling on whatever ash you want.

FROM WHO?

e: Wait I think I know what/where it is, I'd been meaning to go back and test out my theory.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cowcaster posted:

kind of like backstabbing, you have to be positioned in a certain spot, facing a certain angle, to get it consistently. easiest way to goof it up is to attack from too far away, make sure you're standing up against whatever you want to dunk on

It really munts me that you can't backstab hollows who are manning ballistae/flamethrowers

marshmallow creep posted:

I've been trying to figure out how to get to the ledge with the red stone on it. I've tried jumping and rolling from where I am, but I bounce off the wall. I've tried landing on the tree with the blue stone, but haven't been able to get the jump from there. I tried landing on the purple stone, but that ledge seems big enough for a rainbow stone but not me, so I just fall right past it.

Is this an actual ledge I can get to or am I driving myself crazy over nothing? Or is it simply that there's another way to it and it's meant to be a way out of something rather than a way in?

I know you've already figured it out but I want to suggest crafting some Soft Cotton in the future for tricky jumps. It's basically a consumable version of the Silvercat Ring from DS2.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I'm annoyed that great runes are tied to consumables, they don't seem like a great reward in light of that

sunbro more

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

tell me more plz

You get Rune Arcs for helping other players beat bosses. Drop your sign (if you want to help with a specific boss) or activate an effigy (if you want to help in a general region while doing stuff/exploring).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

Who should From collab with to make the backstory for the next Armored Core for them to just put a Ninebreaker on top of? I'm not in the loop of popular sci-fi authors anymore, though, I think GRRM writes some of that too

james S A corey

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gamerofthegame posted:

every ladder has visions of snake messages by it

it's my favorite running gag tbh, poo poo came out eighteen years ago

I don't think the Snake messages were a thing for the Souls games -- I suspect AGDQ has had a big part in it resurfacing in cultural consciousness

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Do I need to activate summoning pools to be summoned to them via effigy? I just realized I've skipped like the majority of pools and this possibly explains why I keep getting summoned to the same ones

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Dang, today was the first day I could play after the last few patches, and getting worse performance now than at launch. Boo.

Yeah I've been getting really irritating framerate hitches all day long whenever I try to play. I know there's a bunch of people who will go :razz: I don't have gamer eyes :razz: but it's like trying to listen to a song but there are randomly interposed 1/8-of-a-beat sound skips so you're just bracing for the next sound skip instead of enjoying the music.

I hope they fix this soon.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

ISLC.exe to clean up your memory and tweak performance a tiny bit, plus closing everything in the background. I do those two things only and get a smooth (55-60 overworld, 60 capped in all dungeons) experience on a 7600k, 16GB relatively slow RAM and a GTX 970. Most people run faster/newer stuff.

Aside from that just core unparking/high performance plans and MSI mode for most devices as sort of bog-standard performance tweaks.

To be fair, for other games I don't really consider 60 frames acceptable, but it's long since been a thing that this is simply what Souls-likes do and so I deal with it. Its the only thing I play with a controller anyway, so the more sluggish inputs don't feel so bad because they match closely with what controllers feel like even on most modern consoles, since titles still like to cap at 60 (and people use horrifically slow TVs to game on for some reason).

If you need links for any of this let me know, but I feel like the internet is replete with instructions on how to do the above.

Edit: Running the controller at 1000 Hz wired for consistency and shaving off another 10 ms is nice too. Can't say I notice it too much largely because a 60 frame game isn't that insanely responsive that you would feel that readily, but what the hell.

Thanks, will try this stuff out. You'd think a 3070Ti and an i7-10700k would be able to run a 60 fps with zero hitching but apparently not.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

deep dish peat moss posted:

In my experience, it only sends you to pools within a certain radius of where you are in your world. I only ever get summoned to the dungeon I'm in or nearby small dungeons.

e: you also can't use the item that sends your sign to the pool unless you are somewhat near an activated effigy

The description for the Small Golden Effigy says "activated pools only". I went back to a bunch of dungeons and activated the pools there and am now getting summoned to a greater variety.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ISLC.exe didn't fix the slight hitching but my load times have been slashed in 1/4 :v:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What exactly governs whether or not you can enchant/grease a weapon?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orv posted:

If it has an elemental property already you can’t.

Will it refuse to let you enchant it or will it apply the effect but be ineffective?

The Uchigatana has innate bleed but I've applied Blood Grease and Sorcery Weapon to it, seen the effect go live visually, but can't tell if it's actually doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Urthor posted:

Still no patch for PC stuttering?

Probably not for a couple more weeks at minimum