Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Don't talk to me or my son ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Love this Smough-looking dude

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VideoGames posted:

Thinking about that dragon grabbing that spear of lightning.

It reminded me of the DS1 opening cutscene with Seath and Gwyn

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harrow posted:

As others have said, this isn't required for Ranni's quest. It is, however, required for Fia's quest, I'm pretty sure.

Nah I did her whole quest and it triggered from having her hold me a couple of times, I never found the Godwyn corpse under Stormveil

Flytrap posted:

I feel like I was supposed to get a (secret area spoilers) Orange Ring equivalent for Scarlet Rot by the time I made it down to the Lake of Rot. Maybe I should have looked up the cookbook with the rot cure.

Weirdly enough there's a single Minotaur dude hanging out in the lake who drops a talisman that gives you resistance

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What triggers Seluvis dying? While doing Ranni's quest I came back to him and he was dead, dropped his clothes and bell but I could still interact with his body

Also (Sella's quest spoilers) What's up with his puppet dungeon. Seems like he was into some hosed up stuff

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

roomtone posted:

who the hell is sella

Mashup of Sellen and Stella in my brain I guess

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Ainsel River: Is there a second entrance to this place? I've explored the southern part of the map with the ants and the dragonkin boss, but I can't seem to reach the northern half at all.

Just a yes or no answer please.

Yes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ghosthotel posted:

So about Seluvis.

Pretty sure he is a puppet. Off the side of the cliff near his tower you can drop onto a roof on caria manor that takes you to a balcony where you can meet an Albinuriac named Pidia who has some puppets around him. From what I remember his opening dialogue implies that he made them, and he can sell you some random stuff. After you do the Ranni questline to the point where she disappears and seluvis body goes limp in his tower if you go back to this Pidia dude as you're descending towards his room you hear him screaming because he's being attacked by his puppets, asking why they would do this to him, etc. By the time you get there he's dead, surrounded by puppets and you get a puppet ash off his corpse. I got an archer and in the description it says that ash in particular was one of Seluvis' favorites. You apparently can get Nepheli's puppet ash from his corpse instead if you had given her the potion

Hmm that kinda makes sense since when he "dies" his body goes limp in the same position as some of the puppets in his dungeon, on his knees looking up

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vermain posted:

the game would lose nothing by making this explicit and would, indeed, gain from it, since the probability of you drastically overleveling an area and turning it into chump town is a lot less when you know roughly whether an area is designed for your given level band

Is “I keep dying in this zone maybe I should come back later” not explicit enough for you

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Would it bother you less if people put "I think" before "Radahn is badly designed"

No

How is he badly designed

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Macaluso posted:

Weapons breaking was bad. You'll notice that Elden Ring, a good game, doesn't do that.

I mean, I think weapons breaking was bad

I hope this becomes the open world game that every open word game gets compared to from now on so I never have to hear about BOTW ever again

RBA Starblade posted:

Elden Ring is BOTW if it were a good game instead of just okay

:staredog:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Very important question: is it Gods' Kin or God Skin

It’s actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhIMtqG4h2g

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

drunken officeparty posted:

But don’t the ashes do nothing if you choose a basic one? You don’t get the flame sword skill unless you pick flame sword and not heavy. Or I’m wrong and you do.

No, you get the skill regardless of what weapon scaling type you choose

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ASenileAnimal posted:

i actually liked it because it was a nice break from fighting spastic flippy guys

Same. I like a good Souls gimmick boss

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also his design is really cool and disgusting

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

queeb posted:

is tehre a downside to killing every nomad merchant i come across to shove their bearing into the husks?

The downside is having to live with being a bad person

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

withak posted:

How do I pause this game?

Rest at a site of grace

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lord_Magmar posted:

He is not that character, Patches shows up elsewhere and looks the same as he ever was. This guy is just a self-serving prick and looks like the servant enemies in the castle. It can be hard to notice but he follows you around when you rest at Graces and is very mad at Godrick.

I didn't even realize he followed you so I never killed him but it was worth it to see what he does after you kill Godrick

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm using the full Blaidd set since it looks badass

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Trying to turn in Renalla’s Rune, and I came to the top of this big library and killed the teleporting mage. I’m up on the rafters and can see a big spiral staircase that looks like it can descend. Am I missing a lever somewhere?

The way to progress through there is from Ranni's quest, but also Rennala's rune is already powered up and is just used to respec with her

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Was the thing I had to do with Godrick’s rune unique? Or will I do that again? I’ve been trying to find divine towers.

You'll do it again for other runes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Video Nasty posted:

lmao I got by the edgelord when I went back to the roundtable and I got his sick armor set. Is that a different dude than the one you challenge by jumping down from the balcony in there?

Yeah

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

Im sorry but theres no way one woman can eat that ENTIRE snake

What a thrill…

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Volte posted:

Malenia: is it possible to survive her 10 second long anime flurry combo? The only times I've ever gotten to phase two she just didn't do it. Every time she's ever done it is an insta-kill for me and it truly seems impossible to dodge out of or block.

Try blocking

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Preceptor Miriam, think it's supposed to be a bit of a gimmick fight to encourage ranged attack useage but you can still brute force it with metal tools.

and there's heaps of ashes, theyre all in pretty random places, not always logical. Kill a random cat statue, get pumpkin summon, poo poo like that.

Mimic is best summon, dont think its gatekept by anything but i forgot, i had it for a while before trying it out. Umm, mimic so good it was hard to try anything else, even after i started upgrading random ones to level 10.

You can get Soldjars of Fortune fairly easily too and theyre the most entertaining summon.

Can’t get the Mimic until you beat Radahn

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MadJackal posted:

The sequence of events to use magic to clear mobs in this game went:

1. Get a specific low-skill mob clearing weapon in the middle of nowhere (Icerind Hatchet).

2. Get a skill (No Skill) to turn off my shield's ability and instead activate said sword's mob clearing ability (Hoarfrost Stomp). It's sorta close to the start, but otherwise unmarked and in the middle of nowhere.

3. Find an area where I can level myself to "Not immediately hosed in the face by random passing monsters."

This is my first Souls game and while I appreciate the art and exploration, I'd like to ameliorate the facefuckery.

Just hit the enemies with your weapon OP.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yardbomb posted:

Basically what happened with Itsuno and Devil May Cry 2 as well, development was going nowhere and no reports were coming back, so he was sent out with his guys to see if he could help them shape it up. Reportedly he gets there and they have a basic moveset for Dante and a couple of maps made, Itsuno then has to take on the job pretty much as a whole as director and just bang out everything they can in the time allotted, along with getting his name stapled to the wreck that barely managed to be completed. The original director's name was never released, because they felt like it'd be a guaranteed death sentence for his career and it was too harsh.

That’s not a very favorable comparison

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DS2 is better than DMC2 but that’s an incredibly low bar to clear

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

It's almost literally DS2 2

Can’t be, it doesn’t suck

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

my faith was getting a little shaky with everything i was reading but having finally experienced and beaten both radahn and godskin apostle today in person i'm feeling new conviction in not believing people when they start yelling about how poorly a boss is designed

I saw a lot of complaining about fire giant and he wasn’t bad at all besides the snow shoveling attack which I still don’t know is actually avoidable

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah but DS2 was one of the better ones.

It’s the worst souls game OP.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I thought that was King's Field?

That’s a King’s Field game, not a Souls game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Concurred posted:

DS2 was really good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, gently caress. I'm stuck in Sellia Crystal Tunnel. Literally stuck, in the geometry. "Fell" into a small crack in the cave floor, and I can't get out. Twenty minutes of running, rolling, jumping, using several different weapon arts that do jump/flip attacks but I cannot get unstuck.

And because it's Sellia Tunnel ..I can't teleport out. And it happened right as I killed the last loving laser bug. I don't know what to do. I've quit and reloaded, I've invaded another world, but I keep returning to the same spot and can't move.

My only hope is waiting for a random invader to kill me, I think? How the hell do I kill myself? At least DS1 had dung pies.

Can you use the item that returns you to the last Grace without your runes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is proof enough that Elden Ring is Dark Souls 2 2, tarnished :cheers:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Next time you play DS2 try turning on the TV.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shart Holes Poo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vermain posted:

i don't need to demand since it's objectively good due to both editions having sold well

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hatty posted:

Going through the Snow Zone but Is it me or does someone at FROM have a vendetta against giants? seems like every game they're wiped out

Can you blame them.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Deformed Church posted:

I've been playing this game for like an hour. gently caress dogs. I don't want to see any more dogs.

You should check out the C-SPAM Covid thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cephas posted:

my issue with this game's story is that it's just Dark Blood: Tarnished Die Twice. Complicated god-king lineages, check. Eldritch lifeforms, check. Spooky diseases, check. Divine young heirs to swear fealty to, check. I thought Dark Souls was really brilliant in its ability to convey a zombie apocalypse version of The Once and Future King, and Bloodborne did an excellent job integrating gothic monster stories with Lovecraftian monster stories.

But this is like what, the 7th iteration (6th if you don't count Sekiro) on their recurring themes? There's a limit to how many times I can feel interested in a story that goes: "You are a nasty little misfit toy. The land is ruled by freaky gods who don't want you to know that they're terminally ill. One of the freaky gods investigated fire and accidentally woke up Nyarlathotep. Everyone is turning into trees. People are really fixated on castration metaphors. Go gently caress this poo poo up, you could hardly make things worse. Maybe the best thing is if there were nothing left at all."

I on the other hand can’t get enough of that poo poo