Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Irony.or.Death posted:

Related: does it matter what I get in terms of knee/elbow pads? The end of that session made it very clear that I need them, probably looking at another week before I have enough skin back on my knee to get out there again and I'm just starting to make some real progress so this sucks.
You don't need any of that poo poo. Practice in the grass if you want to pedal. Take the pedals off and use your feet if you want to practice your initial balance.

My god don't practice on pavement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

""The motives of the suspect are still under investigation," the department said."

🐷🐷🐷

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Does no one in portland own a slingshot? How does this guy still have intact car windows?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ALSO ALSO, who the gently caress counter protest but doesn't block the other lanes? Make the loving cops show their asses.

mystes posted:

other places like paris have also made great strides but that requires a consensus that cars shouldn't have priority in cities
Paris is kind of a special case where the mayor decided cars can get hosed, and acts accordingly.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eXXon posted:

Dear spoiled brats trying to do donuts and ~~drift~~ in the parking lot across the street at midnight and yelling about how to find the traction control button, eat poo poo and crash your dumb loving trust fund chariots in a ditch (without hurting anyone else)
Be the change you want to see in the world (caltrops)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

somehow I don't think anyone in his videos has actually ever hurt a pedestrian and so while in theory it's obviously not safe
I don't think I've seen serious injuries to peds but his alleycat vids regularly have riders either hit or only miss peds because they ducked outta the way.
Same for that other rear end in a top hat who keeps wooshing by peds and trying to startle them.

Peds are to you what you are to cars, act loving accordingly goddamn

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Why does this look so uncanny?
He wears a gimbal on his helmet.

Grassy Knowles posted:

lol i just 20 min ago bruised a rib biffing it to some rocks flying under me near some road construction, and the majority of my biffs are literal garbage in the road

both of my injuries were to gravel left on the lane by constructions and hidden by something else (one time variable tree shade, the other wet ground).

crews are usually quite receptive to me telling them it's dangerous, it mostly just doesn't occur to them.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Aug 3, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Kids mess up the no driving lifestyle pretty badly
cargo bike goes brrrrr

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

my kids daycare is a 4 mile round trip and not safe to get to without a car
that's so hosed up

spiritual bypass posted:

my kid is always pumped when we can go to fun stuff within walking distance. too bad they're too scared to use a bike lane. need to htfu, almost 8 years old ffs
have you met US drivers? I'm a grown rear end man and there's precious few bike lanes I'd use, let alone have my kids use.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

carbrain triple post

petition to install those as bike lane physical segregation systems.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

I guess good for you that you can think that way but if someone honks at me I'm probably going to be angry for the rest of the day
LOL. If a driver honks at me they'll be angry for the rest of the day. Last time it happened I put the bike in the middle of the lane and went up to them to have a chat. They were *SO* seething. I do the same to oncoming drivers in one way streets, etc. If you can't behave I'll loving make you.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

If they just stopped and waited like 30 seconds there would have been no problem
There's never 30 or even 10 seconds to spare to be safe. Only to yell or brake check other road users.

Groda posted:

$50 fine in a school zone is insane. Here in Sweden, you're eligible for getting your license suspended.
It's even funnier when you know the reason he's getting hit with a school zone violation instead of a speeding one. R's wouldn't let cameras be put out of school zones, so the city peppered them around schools and leave them on 24/7 :getin:

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 09:47 on Aug 10, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

genericnick posted:

If those things weren't so loving expensive. Not like a car of course, but stilll.
owning a car would pay for a new e-cargo bike every 2 years lol, and that's only riding a couple hundred k a month.

sim posted:

More than you think, I imagine. People are just A) busy with their lives and don't have time/interest in politics (especially contacting their city council members) and B) unaware that things could be better or different. That's why I really think a lot of good comes from just using your bike for normal things and showing people what's possible.

Whenever I use a cargo bike for anything that's normally done by car (groceries, home improvement supplies, etc.) people are just like baffled at the existence of a cargo bike. "What is that?" "Where did you get it?" "Is it easy to use?"

We're all just fighting against a century of car propaganda so it's kind of impossible
It was like that 10 years ago for us too. People were staring as if I were riding a supersport. Every time I show up at the trail head with my MTB towed by my e-cargo people still wanna talk/ask questions.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 19:00 on Aug 10, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In 2022, the average American spent $10,728 on car ownership. That's a lot of ebikes.
LOL that's a brand new Busch & Muller Load 75, literally the most expensive cargo bike around, every year.
And 10k/year doesn't even get you like, a *nice* car.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Thought you guys might appreciate this in light of last week’s conversation about cycling safety

I once shone my flashlight at a driver who'd kept his high beams on as he rode towards me and our pup taking a walk and boy was he not happy. What're you gonna do, shine your high beams harder? Vroom vroom your little engine? Suck my dick.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Aug 10, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Noosphere posted:

I wanna ask questions. What's your setup ?
Can't show you now because it's setup for commuting/school right now but it's just a standard rack, and one of those panniers you can fit a front wheel into.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

look bud those texts aren’t gonna send themselves

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Jumping on the "show people what's possible" bandwagon. People are always doing a double take when I fit an entire grocery cart full into 4 panniers. Hopefully a thing switched from impossible to possible in their mind and that will inform how they think about their city and how it's used.
I just got a whole bunch of ikea flatpack home :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

I’m pretty sure that even the cameras let you go something like 4 mph over the limit. Definitely not 11 lol.
i read somewhere the NYC cameras only trigger at 10 over? which is insane for urban speeds. ped fatalities more than double from 25 to 35mph.

leftist heap posted:

cargo trailers are so underrated imo
Yes and no. They’re awesome for occasional use but you can’t avoid potholes with them on (same problem trikes and tadpole cargo bikes have), and dynamically they just suck. Plus more rolling resistance. Plus you need a place to store them and a way to secure them. Some of them fold or break down to a pretty compact footprint tho.

I put 55kg of kids on my bullitt and it rides *better* than empty. That’s emphatically not the case with a trailer.

That said they are fit for purpose and infinitely cheaper than a legit cargo bike, so they’re great for weekly shops and occasional bulky errands.

cat botherer posted:

I used to commute with my big dog in a flat bed trailer with a crate strapped on (I padded it on the inside). Weirdly he never wanted anything to do with the crate until I attached it to my bike. Then he hopped right in. He’s a good dog.
turns out pups like going on adventures.

actionjackson posted:

obviously more people on transit = more safety, but more safety requires more people, so it's a catch-22
If you fund transit to the degree you subsidize cars, you get something that’s not the bottom-of-the-barrel last resort trip option for most people.
Exact same thing as bike infra.

If your population isn’t prone to that petty sexual aggression they get away with outside of a transit system, they don’t do it o the bus either.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 23:22 on Aug 10, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

literally a cone will stop AVs forever.

TBH if I lived in the US i’d be all for AVs, they annoy the poo poo out of drivers and are trivially easy to disable.
And they don’t drive/park on bike infra (yet)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2023/08...loved-baltimore

It’s hilariously sad that people like this still have a vehicle, let alone a license

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just drove past a lot with a bunch of those little kei trucks for sale. It’s incredibly funny that the modern truck market in the US is so divorced from the reality of getting work done that people have to import actual useful trucks from elsewhere.
Those trucks don't sell in any real numbers. Anyone who's realistic about their needs buys a maverick or a van.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wonder how much this would change if they were fully street legal.
They already are, 25y rule I assumed?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Driving the speed limit and stopping fully at signs is the #1 way to induce spitting rage in other drivers
It’s also really really funny.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

City's just installed some big fuckoff speed bumps on our street and I'm positively giddy. The concept of curb extensions (really, removing curb cuts) is foreign to the city planners here so this is the next best thing. Watching cars having to actually slow down instead of trying to take as much of a racing line as they can at every intersection never gets old.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

Write your local news, council person, Department of Transit, and mayor immediately voicing your unreserved support for the change, because you can bet they're being hammered with drivers absolutely apoplectic at their not being able to speed and demanding removal.
way ahead of you, I've already written to the city :D

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

i know it doesn't solve car dependence but it's funny how much americans hate parking garages. just stick all of these cars in one four-level garage dude
Cars (especially EVs and large modern trucks/pickups) are heavy AF and constructing multi-story garages is *extremely* expensive. And people *throw fits* when they have to walk a block or two in the heat their own vehicles helped create.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

decorative roundabouts are Good, Actually, not seeing the other side slows drivers down, and provides impromptu obstacles for inattentive ones.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/mateosfo/status/1691717482237907332

I've no idea if I could keep it together if someone hit my kid, but probably not.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...mibextid=9R9pXO

The reasoning is in a screenshot and is absolutely insane.
:d2a:

Mauser posted:

Marseille was cool as hell. Only spent the day there, but the entire touristy area around the port was completely shut down for cars and there was an entire residential quarter with planter boxes blocking off the narrow streets with zero parking and a bunch of restaurants. Wife got a little terrified by the massively crowded multicultural market we walked through though :lol:
LOL that's the best part. Also fresh fish!

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Aug 21, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mauser posted:

Are you implying that relatively large city's traffic enforcement doesn't hand out parking tickets at every opportunity? e: just to be clear, these are not cops, they're parking enforcement and they do do their jobs. I even have a friend who works there on the street giving out tickets.
When my kids are outta the house I'd totally pick up a shift of parking enforcement a couple times a week. Terrorizing lovely drivers sounds like a great time, and I know *all* the problematic spots in the city.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 12:09 on Aug 22, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spiritual bypass posted:

belt drive rules
#1 upgrade for a commuter/chillax bike

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's a reason they call Aluminum congealed electricity

"a recent study calculated the lifecycle emissions of a carbon fiber electric cargo cycle to be 80 gCO2 per kilometer – only half those of an electric van (158 gCO2/km)" lol who the gently caress rides, let alone makes a CFC cargo bike?

Whining about ebikes is also hilarious, when making one emits about as much co2 an american car puts out in 3 weeks.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 18:28 on Aug 22, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd loving pay the city to let me do that job lmao

Gunshow Poophole posted:

how dare you make me almost think a cop is not a bastard
PEO's are technically/maybe not 5-0? I'd never talk to a cop but every time I see a PEO and I tell them to keep up the good work :tipshat:

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 21:15 on Aug 22, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Time to fasten a pool noodle to your rack. Then, fasten a machining insert to the noodle :getin:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

it’s car brain without the car and its also dangerous and poo poo
exactly. peds are to bikes what bikes are to cars, and cyclists need to chill the F out on MUPs. It’s the biggest reason MUPs suck balls.

Dog Case posted:

I can't even remember the last time I saw an actual lycra type road cyclist. Maybe they really have all become gravel cyclists now
in the US, lots have. it’s way safer.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Aug 23, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

If the horse can take a poo poo right there in the middle of the path, why can't I?
horses are easier to retaliate against.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Also one cyclist got hit by a cop rolling through a stop sign without stopping and another one got dragged off her bike by an off duty cop who wasn't even a part of the blitz.
At least look on the bright side: now they know cops aren't there to keep them safe

raggedphoto posted:

including bumping into pedestrians instead of waiting for oncoming traffic to clear.
what in the gently caress?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Peanut President posted:

i will let pedestrians go and will ride behind slow riders on the path (like kids or old people) but i will absolutely elbow a pedestrian on the "bike" part of the path, especially when the path is split and ESPECIALLY when there's signage. Get the gently caress outta here. Same dudes that squeeze you when they're in their car because they think every space belongs to them and they can do whatever they want.
I ring my bell (it's a loud bing-bong kinda thing) at people walking in the bike lane, and only ever touch people who wear headphones and can't/won't hear it. And even then, it's just a light finger tap on the shoulder, not an goddamn elbow. The vast, vast majority throw a hand up in apology and move over (we have poo poo infra here and ped/cycling areas are the same color).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNIEAj_Wkoo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

when she came back at me with some transphobic bullshit
alright fine, this me can get the elbow

Re: horses, if they can’t be around bikes/sticks or large hats, they don’t belong on shared trails.

my local MTB group has successfully bullied horse riders off the shared trails and it’s loving awesome. I don’t aggravate them willfully but like, if I have to do more than make room, it’s not my problem.

PittTheElder posted:

Lol what kind of poo poo horses are these guys raising? We like to backcountry camp in a place near a trail riding outfit, in the evening they let them out to roam; you can walk over to the field and they (the horses) will let you pet them and feed them dandelions and poo poo, it's great.
Well behaved horses are awesome but they’re not really the norm around the cities. The ponies have way more chill.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 00:27 on Aug 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

re: pedestrians etiquette:

https://twitter.com/notabigjerk/status/1694490158689894709