Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

mycomancy posted:

That "vaccines won't save you from long COVID" preprint is some clickbait headline bullshit and all y'all worried because of it need to take a breath and read the loving paper! It says straight up that one shot will keep you from getting seriously hosed up, while two keeps most poor outcomes at bay.

Don't be D&D smoothbrains, read more than the headline!

I did; could you describe how this statement is not something to be concerned about, if we assume for now that the study survives review? What exactly is your criteria for "seriously hosed up" and definition of what "most poor outcomes" means?

quote:

On the other hand, previous vaccination does not appear to be protective against several previously documented outcomes of COVID-19 such as long-COVID features, arrhythmia, joint pain, type 2 diabetes, liver disease, sleep disorders, and mood and anxiety disorders. The narrow confidence intervals (related to the high incidence of these outcomes post-COVID) rules out the possibility that these negative findings are merely a result of lack of statistical power.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

mycomancy posted:

Ok, it's time for the C-SPAM COVID Doomer Journal Club! (link to the article here)

I appreciate this, thank you for this post! I've been insanely frustrated with seeing people (not ITT, just in general) dismiss papers off the cuff whenever the implications are bad, but I see that this is uh, not that. Yeah that paper sounds pretty hosed up.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong, I'm right
Where I belong, I'm right
Where I belong
Silly people run around, they worry me
And never ask me why they don't get past my door

I'm taking the time for a number of things
That weren't important yesterday
And I still go
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ah, ah

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

I don't think they're even shipping stuff out at all. I used that very link as week and for whatever reason they never got around to it at all. Customer service isn't responding to me at all. I'm guessing they're getting really slammed

seems like they are backordered now, that's what my order status says now despite showing in stock when I ordered. checked zoro, same there; which other sites were people using?

tinstaach posted:

I wore cloth masks for over a year before getting a box of N95s, and the difference in seal quality and comfort is like night and day. Getting a dozen of them into the hands of every single person in the country should have been job number one for every government.

biden choosing not to deliver at-home tests and n95 masks to everyone in america is genocide. whenever I talk to someone who doesn't think the US should have done it (and it still could be done) I go completely insane and drift into the sky.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Zisky posted:

Have you seriously never tried vrchat?
but I bet you need to get a custom commissioned model/rig and spend thousands on the crazy body mocap poo poo to get let into the cool parties.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

The Demilich posted:

I need assistance!

I bought voicemod and want to speak through it instead of just staying silent when I wear my 7503 respirator. I assume the easiest way to do this is a mic placed in the interior of the mask and maybe Bluetooth it to a speaker? I'm sure there's some sort of raspberry pi in the mix somewhere here.

What's the best way to do this?

don't gently caress with your respirator. no personal experience with these but this would be the kind of thing you'd want. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throat_microphone

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Soap Scum posted:

i legit didn't know that was a d&d thing, i did it because i see people do it here sometimes, and also because my cat is a supermodel >=(
she is a very pretty kitty, please tell her that I wrote in the newspaper that she was pretty.

the main difference between here and there is just that people don’t need to go scramble and find some random animal picture just to be allowed to talk about the state of the world here.

please unapologetically post your cattes, post your dogs, post your plants, post your knitted scarves, post the shivs you’ve carved from your enemies’ bones, whatever helps you feel connected with people here. that’s different than a “fur tax” though.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I'm gonna repost my post from yesterday morning about Ghandi because I think a lot of people missed it. She is the 10th dentist.

-----------------------------------------------

However how did no one in this thread pick up on this article?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-02/get-a-booster-now-and-don-t-wait-for-omicron-shot-experts-say

Monica Ghandi is the one dentist that doesn't recommend Crest, and she's the one that gets 99% of media coverage.

yeah, I think she’s probably got some underlying antivax beliefs (not philosophical ones though) but conceded in her head at some point that it’s okay for some people to do it sometimes as a treat. dunno why else she’d be so aggro against boosters and endlessly repeating the same “well, we just need to wait to see the whole picture here” argument about them in different ways for months and months and months.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

olives black posted:

So is this 40 total hours of it (contiguous or not) being strapped to your face, or 40 hours from the second that you strap it to your face?

make sure to pay attention to your seal if you’re using one mask for short durations repeatedly, since you’ll then have more chances to overstretch the straps or overbend a metal band or otherwise gently caress up the mask since you are taking it on and off more. you should be checking that seal anyways, but it’s a risk with these that might sneak up on you.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

that’s a bit of an uh oh

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
the age and booster category breakdowns seem very important for this, hope that is laid out clearly in the paper.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

for those wanting to read the paper its on the site but they have some dumb browser fingerprint running so it doesn't show for everyone:

https://secureservercdn.net/50.62.198.70/1mx.c5c.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/MEDRXIV-2021-267417v1-Sigal.7z

yeah, a 7z link from a site that is acting like they are A/B testing whether or not to include links to their papers was not how I was expecting the initial drop on this to be delivered. for me the link shows up on my phone but not on a desktop.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Pingui posted:

I liked COVID more when it was spread by people in fir suits.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

dead gay comedy forums posted:

you are loving kidding me

gotta respect the hustle

https://twitter.com/BuildAFur/status/1349390658084216839?s=20

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1457719928656695297?s=20

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
i would like to get off mr covid’s wild ride

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Why Am I So Tired posted:

This is making it completely impossible to get through to my parents and my in-laws. In their minds Fauci / the CDC / the NYT are 100% reputable institutions and objective and lacking any agenda, and Twitter is just random people yelling at each other. That combined with Trump's feuding with the media / government institutions makes me come across as a Qanon'er for citing basic facts (my MIL thinks I'm a "vaccine shedder" conspiracy theorist because I said COVID is airborne and can hang in the air for hours). It's so infuriating and demoralizing. My dad is a lifelong leftist too, there's just no getting through.

yep, yep, yep. watching "it's just the flu", "can't let the cure be worse than the disease", "everyone deserves to be able to make their own individual choices", "i'll be fine if I catch it because <x>" migrate from the right wing onto almost everyone (by way of these institutions making it happen) has been incredibly draining.

mod sassinator posted:

i legit worry for the mental health of chise when this happens. she might have an external bluster, but internally if you were responsible for the deaths of your friends... that will haunt you to your grave and maybe drive you there too

IMHO she needs to back out now while she still can and just delete all the "its mild" tweets. people will blame and shame when it's clearly not the case. that will crush a psyche

she'd just either directly cite or allude to an "underlying condition" on the person that died and wash her and the community's hands of it. nothing will ever get through to these (mild) sociopaths.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

just put a surgical mask on top of your N95

it can't make the seal any worse, and people are dumb enough to think that all you're doing is layering-on MORE protection

putting another mask on top of it can affect the seal

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/49/e2110117118

quote:

Wearing an additional surgical mask on top of the adjusted FFP2 masks, case iii, seems to have an overall negative effect on the total inward leakage compared to case ii. The effect of double filtering is negligible, as the filtration efficacy of the FFP2 mask is already large ( >99.98% for particles of >0.3 μ m). A possible explanation for the decreased protection (increased inward leakage) could be that the additional pressure on the FFP2 mask caused by the surgical mask distorts the FFP2 mask and therefore causes new face seal leaks, or the increased breathing resistance leads to more leakage (67).

probably is different from mask to mask, I imagine

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

the paper has some caveats after that part fwiw; the effect wasn’t observed on all of their test subjects so it depends on face structure too, which makes some sense.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel like we need to start finding our emotional balls and just tell them this

there’s no glory in being the messenger that gets shot, in my experience. it’s not easy to convince people to disagree with the avatar of science and the paper of record.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Kylaer posted:

Ehhhhh. This thread has been clamoring about this for ages, yet the ability of healthcare systems to asymptotically approach collapse without ever going over the edge keeps defying your predictions. Maybe omicron will finally be the one to go the distance, but maybe they'll just continue skating eternally along a razorblade without ever falling off.

sitting here thinkin' about omicron and the titers of all those HCWs that were vaccinated early, who might've boosted early or maybe didn't get a booster at all. seems bad.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

:sludgepal:

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Brogeoisie posted:

What could this even mean?

who knows. but we should make sure to pay attention to the right things

quote:

But “what I think is something that we need to keep our eye on [is] it could be that things turn out better than we expected.”

lol

quote:

But the neutralizing capacity of blood drawn from people who had been vaccinated after having had a Covid infection told a different story. “When you looked at people who were vaccinated and infected, they did pretty well. And to me, vaccinated and infected is equivalent to getting boosted,” Fauci said.

don't worry about boosters, but fauci thinks you'll be doing yourself a favor if you get infected! you'll do pretty well and you'll be boosting yourself on your own!

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

AEMINAL posted:

any advice on how to cope with this situation that isn't hard liquor or Valium

I am seriously freaking the gently caress out

read some philosophy, existential stuff. that’s fun.

https://youtu.be/2zx7Y4o_lxY

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
earlier in the pandemic I put a lot of effort into trying to inform my friends and family about the virus and the things they need to do. people mostly all listened, at least from what I could see and what they told me (lol).

then they stopped doing some of those good things, pretty much exactly when cdc did the mask burning party.

then when they started to realize what delta was, they didn’t change their behavior, most just got more fatalistic. somehow “we have to do what you were doing at the start of this, things are not over even if you’re vaccinated” made me a doomer while “we’re all going to get it and it’d be senseless to change our lives to avoid spreading it” is the optimist’s take.

I still somehow had some faith that they trusted me, at least a bit, to inform them of what’s going on since some of them still seemed to care and to listen. I hoped as the media (particularly the media in our local area) picked up more stories about the holiday wave that they’d understand the seriousness of things.

with omi I sat down a day or two after the github and wrote up all the things that seemed like now were going to be even more important. I repeated a lot, in more direct/forceful language and described what things would now likely look like over the holidays and tried to talk them through it. I told them to act like they are unvaccinated, please finally stop wearing cloth masks for gods sake take some of the n95s I have, get a booster, and if you’re going to socialize everyone should be in a good mask and should not be taking it off.

only a couple of them have bothered to get a booster. note that multiple people in this group are immunocompromised, and I couldn’t even get all of them to do it. maybe they will eventually. nobody likes the idea of n95s though, they like their cloth masks. the only person that took me up on that was the one who has a job where they have to interact with a rotating set of the public indoors.

and it’s not fun to do any activities unless we can do them exactly how we did them pre-pandemic. a request I made earlier on to watch a show together in a small group with masks (because for some reason doing a watch remotely would be too weird apparently, wtf) fell completely flat and they just started watching the show together without me a few weeks later. wouldn’t be quite the same if we had to wear masks, you know? nobody interested in hanging out on the outdoor covered porch thing I have access to, because that’d apparently also be weird. we didn’t do that before, right? and it’s cold now.

it is incredibly draining to be around fatalistic people that constantly politely imply or directly state that you are a liar or are crazy. so now I don’t, and so now the main friend group I have, which I thought was made up of responsible adults who did a good job of supporting each other throughout our lives up until this point, is mostly gone to me. sucks.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Greg Legg posted:

Wait wait I've been busy and haven't really had time until now to properly doom scroll but there's no omicron specific booster being developed? What happened to that 100 days thing? Hahaha what the gently caress am I reading this correctly?

they are waiting to see if it will be profitable. they see the current booster uptake rates and it ain’t gonna be profitable yet.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

I was one of those, but it was mostly bleed-over from my suspicion that pharma would be in the tank for Trump and would pump out whatever to help him win the election.

seeing them do the opposite by waiting till after the election to release that round of positive results they had gathered was funny though.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-vaccine-candidate-against

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
i would like the covid to stop now please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navigation
Sep 30, 2009
trying to watch this garbage but it just has an old man quietly whispering while not facing a microphone followed by very loud desperate reporter shouts, can't even hear him enough to get mad (besides at his lecturing tone).