Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my son that I was embarrassed to call him my son, and I hoped his wife left him?

Mom knows what's up with the man-child she raised.

The Petroleum Engineer can't find a job when gas prices are rising? Also lol that petroleum engineer is a "niche field. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
It came from r/sex

How can I not lose my self confidence when my husband says "gross" and "eww" if I try to initiate sex?

quote:

My husband and I have been married for a month and most of the time, when I try to initiate sex he says "eww" "noooo" "what are you doing" "you're such a pervert" "gross" "disgusting".

We had sex before we got married, both initiated but right after marriage it's like he's completely changed his feelings.

I have asked him what the issue is like if he's not attracted to me and if he could stop making the comments because it hurts me, but he just says "stop asking stupid questions" and "I don't want to talk about this" or "this is dumb" when I bring up the topic.

I would be okay with not having sex if he wouldn't make those comments, I have told him that but he still does it. Another thing is when he sees me in a towel like if I got out of the shower or if I am changing he says "eww why are you showing me your body" or calls me a pervert.

I don't see this changing (the comments) because he won't even talk to me about it so what I am wondering is if anyone has been in a similar situation and how you continued to not lose your self confidence. Because I feel really bad about myself and down over this.

Top comment:

quote:

He's gay, you are his beard

At least she can probably get it annulled?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Couple pages back but you’re a REAL bitch if you don’t kiss the fish

I refuse to tarnish the lips that I use to give my cat a kiss on the forehead by kissing a horrible fish.

AITA for not defending my siblings after they had a separate Christmas without me?

quote:

For context, my parents are divorced and living in separate houses. I moved in with my dad when I was around 16 because of my mother (she liked to take things out on me), and I currently still live with my dad full time due to college expenses and COVID. Both of my siblings visit for a week at each location. My brother and I are both 19, my sister is 17.

We slept at our dad’s on Christmas Eve, baking cookies and watching movies. Christmas morning, we stopped by our mother’s apartment to have breakfast and exchange gifts- and I noticed that only our mother and I were doing so. My sibling’s presents remained untouched, so I asked them about it before we headed out. According to my siblings, they wanted to do Christmas with “just them”.

We drove back to our father’s, and had a great time exchanging gifts and decorating the cookies we made last night. Then, my siblings drove back over to our mother’s apartment to have a Christmas with just them. Or, as they put it, “with family”.

I mentioned it offhandedly to our dad when he asked where they went- deliberately avoiding details or specifics- largely because I didn’t want to make the holiday all about me or sour the mood.

Whenever they returned home, our dad suddenly sprung a “family meeting” and spoke about treating each other like family and being there for each other. He did say that they were being rude by not including me- that we could’ve just had one big Christmas at our mom’s and then one at his instead of them driving over twice. I sat there in silence because I didn’t think he’d say anything- and I wasn’t about to admit how I actually felt hurt at the situation. My dad did say some things that could’ve been read as rude, but it was mostly saying they could’ve handled it differently or wouldn’t like it if I did something like that to them.

Now, my siblings are pissed at me for not defending them during the talk. They’re both being incredibly short and snappy to me, and make a pointed effort to avoid me at all costs. They have said to my face that it’s because I didn’t defend them and the only reason our dad’s upset is because I “snitched”. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Edit: I’m seeing some repeating questions, so I figured I’d clarify inside the overall post. My siblings and I are all 100% biologically related, from the same marriage- my brother is my twin. Also, I’ve been told by multiple people that I look like my father- for those asking in the comments.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

AITA for treating my grandpa like a stranger at a family event?

quote:

So I (and my three siblings and 9 cousins) have a grandpa that is not really around, for most of us. Around 10 years ago he decided he only wanted to spend time with two specific grandkids (The children of his favorite daughter). He doesn’t speak to the rest of us unless we are at an event and even then he barely says anything. Last time we saw him was at a wrestling tournament. He went to watch my cousin, and left as soon as my brothers name was called for his match. So it feels pretty deliberate that he does not talk to us. (For reference Im the oldest grandchild at 20, the rest are all between 5-17)

Anyways, my brother had this idea that the next time we saw him at an event we should just act like we don’t know him. He never remembers who we are anyways, I thought it would be funny.

So last week was one of my cousins birthdays (one of the cousins he likes) and he was there. He didn’t interact with us for most of the party but towards the end of it he came up to myself and my sister and said hello. I said “Oh hey! You’re X’s grandpa right? It’s so nice to meet you!” He looked confused and said, “Well yes.. but aren’t you Y’s kids?”

I responded with “We are! Are you related to her or something? You look kind of like our grandpa but he hasn’t spoken to us in years.” He was visibly pissed and called me disrespectful before stomping off.

Most of the family thinks what I said was funny and not a huge deal, but his wife and the parents of my cousins (his faves) are super pissed at me. His wife told me this will “ensure he never speaks to us again” (fine by me lol)

I don’t really care that he’s mad at me but was this really a big rear end in a top hat thing to do? I thought it pretty tame as far as jokes go but clearly people disagree with me lol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

My bris story is that when one of my younger brothers was born, my mother scheduled a circumcision for him like she did the rest of us (it was the 90s), and had unwittingly given that brother a very traditionally Jewish first name and middle name. So when she handed the form to the nurse, the nurse made an assumption that we were Jewish (Jewish first name, Jewish middle name, German surname) and arranged it as a bris. My very not-Jewish mother was incredibly confused when she arrived at what she thought was a circumcision appointment and found a Mohel there with a bunch of religious items.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

i am a moron posted:

Literally seen a divorce precipitated like this. Well the dude said her pussy stinks and insisted he get 24/7 no denial anal rights, which coupled with his body dysmorphia (huge body builder who always said he was ‘too small’) and insistence that I was an ‘alpha male’ and he was ‘such a beta’ always made me wonder

He says her pussy stinks and the solution to that is her butt?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

I wonder if she refers to her period as "The Troubles".

Can't believe you passed on "Bloody Sunday."

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

tinytort posted:

But if the church is actually going to charge more just to let someone who isn't even part of their faith into the building, then the solution is to find somewhere else to have the ceremony.

Fun fact: in Catholicism if you don't get married in a Catholic church under the Catholic marriage sacrament, the Church does not consider you to be married in the eyes of God. So they straight up can't change the venue (unless they find a more accommodating priest, but honestly it sounds like the priest is not the main problem here).

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I don't see what's so hard about holding a bottle or changing a diaper when you're stoned. Maybe it's just because I have a high tolerance but even after smoking a J I'm not gonna be all "whoa what even is a baby, man?"

Plus, what if the kid has bad vibes or is just plain unpleasant to be around? Wouldn't you want to take the edge off?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

dervival posted:

yeah, that's not how a 1-10 rating scale works anywhere else in the world

goddamn incels

The only objective rating scale is how many hundreds of ships your face can launch, on a scale of 1-10.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

gonna be honest, the split custody thing does seem like it's a system made to satisfy the parents, not the kids.

Like all custody things, you only hear about the horrible disasters and you don't hear about semi-functional people doing their best. That said, yes because parents are the ones with lawyers while the kids are stuck with a guardian ad litem, who is generally kind of useless.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Tarkus posted:

She's loving the therapist.

Some therapists get caught in the "supportive therapy" loop where they think the best way to treat depression or whatever is to just make everyone be really nice and supportive to their client and it'll go away on its own, rather than managing cognitive distortions or developing skills to cope with depressive thoughts. Supportive therapy has its place but it's gotta be followed up by actually doing something.

That or she's loving the therapist.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Everyone knows that gay guys are only faking it to get closer to girls!

AITA for not telling my boyfriend I do drugs?

I would think a drug like cannabis would be better for anxiety?

Cannabis can sometimes make anxiety worse (paranoia), while uppers make you feel invincible. But also lol at "I only do coke at parties."

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Foo Diddley posted:

I'm thinking of breaking up with the guy I'm dating because of the way he puts away carts.

:sever:

Stab him and when he asks you to not do that, tell him "that's the doctor peoples' job."

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

FMguru posted:

People got tired of destroying their relationships with "Pranks" that they saw on TikTok, and have moved on to destroying their relationships with "Tests" that they saw on TikTok. I wonder what the next awful thing will be.

Destroying your relationship with "Gifts" you saw on TikTok.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

Boy I wanna know what that accident was and how it may or may not have related to the dad not wanting the child to visit the mother's parents unaccompanied.

My boss's husband lost two fingers to a meat grinder when he was a baby, so I'm going to assume the same happened here.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Just a title:

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

I know we just had a title change but:

r/relationships: my wife says I'm being an rear end in a top hat because it's not Applebee's fault that bad things happened there.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone have that story where a woman's stupid boyfriend and sister(I think?) tried this exact same thing with her dad and ended up assaulted for their "BUT FAAAMBLY!" thinking? IIRC they were trying to sue OP for not telling them of the danger her dad posed despite the OP doing exactly that.

Found them, reposting here. It's a full saga:

AITA for not telling my friend and boyfriend my real name or birthday?

quote:

My bio family suck. Like... just awful, awful people. I got away as soon as I could, which was when I was 16. They wouldn't leave me alone, even after I moved out, so at 18 I changed my name. It was a totally new first, middle and last name, not even vaguely similar to my original name. My family also made me hate my birthday, so I mentally decided that I would use the date on my name change certificate as my birthday, even though it's a couple of weeks after, and I still have to use my real one on forms.

I turned 22 today. For real, not my fake birthday. No one knew except for my bio family, who I haven't spoken to in 6 years. My parents sent me a birthday message over social media and they started it with "happy birthday [my old first name]" along with a long guilt trip about how it's been years since they've heard from me and how much they miss me. I don't know how they found me.

My boyfriend passed me the phone when their message came through, and caught the beginning of the message (so the "happy birthday [my old first name]"). He then asked why a woman who looks like an older version of me was messaging me saying happy birthday to a name he didn't recognise 2 weeks before what he knows to be my birthday. I then admitted that I changed my name and use a fake birthday.

He asked what my old full name was, as he only got part of the first name on the message preview, and I said it doesn't matter because it's not my name now. He said he was curious, and I said it didn't matter and I wanted to drop it. My best friend is also his sister and they live together and I was at their place, so he got her in on it, too. They're now nagging me to tell them my "real" name. However, they both know some details about my childhood and I told them it's to do with my family, but I don't want to give them my full "real" name or acknowledge my "real" birthday. They then began jokingly listing names that my old name could have been, ranging from serious and based off what my boyfriend saw in the preview (the first few letters) to joke names. I then left and went home.

It's been about 12 hours since I left and they're still calling/texting me and they're really mad that I "stormed out" and won't talk to them about this or give them my real name. They're also saying it's been 4 years and I'm just being stupid, that it was one thing to not want to do anything on my birthday but to give them a fake birthday was ridiculous and I shouldn't be hiding my "real" name from them, and they're both really mad that I won't tell them.

AITA?

Update: they contacted my parents to find out the name. We're done.

My (22f) ex (24m) and his sister (22f) are being harassed by my parents. Do I help them?

quote:

My parents were extremely abusive. The nicest thing they ever did for me was letting me move out at 16, and even then they only agreed under duress. However, they were still harassing me, so at 18 I changed my name and moved as far away from my hometown as I could. They also made my birthday, which was the 4th, genuinely traumatic, to such an extent that on 4th October each year I have a therapy appointment and that's basically all I am capable of doing on that day. When I turned 19 I said I didn't want a party, but my friend at the time decided I didn't really mean that and threw me a surprise party, so from then on I told people that the date on my name change certificate, the 20th, was my birthday, even though I still have to use the 4th on formal documents. I know lying about my birthday is weird, but after the surprise party I didn't want to risk it.

Shortly after my 19th, I met "Jack" and "Jill", who were siblings and roommates. Jill and I were friends first, then through her I met Jack, and Jack and I began dating 6 months ago. They weren't involved in the party so I was able to tell them my birthday was the 20th, and hid the real date. I told them about 80% of the abuse I went through growing up, however they had a good home life with loving parents and I could see them struggling to comprehend the reality of what I was saying, so I held off on telling them the worst bits until I was sure they'd believe me, and never told them my real name/birthday.

On the 4th, mum messaged me. She should not have been able to do this, as I completely restarted my social media with my new name and fake birthday, and blocked all my relatives, so she's made an account just for this. She sent "happy birthday [old name]!" along with a lengthy message full of her typical bullshit about how it's been years since she heard from me written as if she has no idea why that is. Jack saw the start of the message and began demanding answers that I said wasn't ready to give, and asked if we could drop it. He got Jill in on it, and they both kept asking questions, so I left. By the next day, I found out that they had contacted my mother to get her side of the story, and they criticised me for removing my parents from my life and said I should give them another chance.

I then broke up with Jack and told Jill we weren't friends any more. It's been about a week, and my parents have been harassing Jack and Jill this whole time, demanding my contact info and address. Good news is, I moved at the start of September, and they've not been to my new place yet, so they can't give my address as they genuinely don't know it, and I've blocked them all (Jack, Jill, parents) on social media.

I don't know what to do. I kind of feel like they brought this on themselves to be honest and if I step in then I'd be opening the door to my parents, even if it's just a crack. Jack and Jill have been messaging our mutual friends about it, saying I've left them in the lurch, which I kind of have, and they want me to fix this by speaking to my parents, who say that if we can just have a conversation then they'll leave us all alone.

What do I do? Should I talk to mum and dad to get rid of them? Or just leave Jack and Jill to fend for themselves?

My (22f) dad (50s) just beat up my ex boyfriend (24). He wants me to come see him. What do I do?

quote:

(Note: "he" is the ex, not the father.)
In the interest of full disclosure, I did post about this on another sub a couple weeks ago, and I really hoped that I was done needing advice on this, but here I am.

My birth family suck. Parents were very abusive, and the only good thing they ever did for me was let me move out at 16, which they only agreed to because I blackmailed them, and they harassed me until I was 18, at which point I changed my name, deactivated all my social media, and moved away and they finally left me alone.

I have a friend, "Jill" (22f) who I've known for about 3 years, and through her I met her brother, "Jack", who I dated for about 6 months and broke up with nearly 3 weeks ago. We broke up because they contacted my parents. I had told Jack and Jill about 80% of the abuse I went through growing up, and they had a hard time believing it because their family life is healthy, and they'd even made a couple comments about me reaching out to my birth family, so I decided to hold off on telling them the rest, including my real name.

My mother messaged me on my birthday, which she should not have been able to do, and through her message, Jack and Jill found out my real name, and reached out to my parents.

I went no contact with Jack and Jill, and decided to put all of this behind me and move on with my life. Luckily, I had recently moved so Jack and Jill don't have my address, but my workplace got a call today from Jill. She went through the actual official work line and gave the admin a message to give to me. The message said that Jack was in hospital after being assaulted. I panicked and called Jill and she said that Jack gave my parents their address so they could meet. When I wasn't there, dad got aggressive, asking Jack where they could find me. Jack said he didn't know my address, dad didn't believe him, and dad hit Jack. According to Jill, dad managed to break Jack's nose and give him 2 black eyes, and a shove that knocked him on his arse. The shove caused a large, deep, cut along Jack's arm as he fell into a table. Jill sent me an image of Jack's hosed up face, and it looks legit. I know from personal experience that even though he'd be early 50s by now, dad is capable of causing that kind of damage.

Jack is back at his place. Jack says he intends to press charges. Jill has asked that I come see Jack and her (they live together). She says that they want to talk, they deserve an explanation, and that they need help as my parents are harassing them, now.

I don't know what to do. I've restarted my social media again and I've not given my address to anyone, so I'm as safe as I can be in current circumstances. I live in a pretty densely populated area so they've very unlikely to find me based solely on my town, and my work and school are aware of my parents, so that won't be an issue.

But here's the thing. I still love Jack. He was my first real relationship and I'm not over him yet. And Jill was basically my best friend for like 3 years. I can't trust them again. I know that, and I know that without trust, I can't have a relationship with either of them. But they don't deserve to be beaten, harassed, and stalked by my psycho parents.

I feel I should help them. And I want to see Jack, check in on him, make sure he's alright. If something happened to either of them I would feel really terrible. But I just don't know if it's worth the risk.

Should I go see and help them? Or is that really stupid? Should I talk to my parents, not to re-establish a relationship but to get them to go away? Or is that even stupider?

TL;DR: Ex and his sister contacted my abusive parents, who have now beaten the gently caress out of my ex because he didn't know my address. Ex and sister want to see me. Is seeing them a good idea?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Clocks posted:

I'm on the side of "if everyone did it, there wouldn't be a park left" and I don't think the counter-argument of "well, everyone isn't doing it!" is much of a good one (yeah, because people realize we live in a society together, and that involves putting the community above the self sometimes). Also, if she's sure it's not such a big deal, why is she doing all this snipping discreetly? Oh, that's right, because you shouldn't be snipping random flowers and poo poo that other people could be enjoying.

My favorite part is when she said she's pretty sure the gardener of the park would support her. If you're so sure, why don't you just ask?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Winner of the Open Relationship to Marriage Collapse speedrun goes to this guy.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

FMguru posted:

AITAH for using my husband's affair with my cousin against them?

"Incredibly stupid guys trying to be sneaky" is one of my favorite genres.

Edit: a short and sweet one.

AITAH for telling my gf no more Vegas until debt is paid?

quote:

We’re about to move in together. After much prodding I 49m just found out she 42f has almost 50k in cc debt mostly from gambling. We both make low 6 figures so this seems like a huge debt especially with nothing to show for it. I’m starting to ask a lot more questions and I’m saying she should completely stop gambling and going to Vegas until this is paid and I want to see more financial info.(she’s been going 1-2x a year for a long time sometimes with friends, and twice with me). I’m thinking of canceling moving in if she doesn’t start complying. AITAH?

SpaceViking fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 6, 2024

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Something from r/Ask, which seems like it's just a general advice subreddit.

So my girlfriend wants to install a "piss drawer" Is this as bad as I think it is?

quote:

So my girlfriend soon will be moving into a new house. The bathroom is downstairs and across a couple rooms. Her idea on how to fix this is to install a "piss drawer" what this is is a drawer in which there is a basin to piss into, a tube going into a bottle that can be removed to later be decanted into the actual toilet. A future idea of a "piss cuboard" for extra room. This isn't okay right? No matter how much it is cleaned this isn't an option right?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

How do you start a post with "Hey girls, guys, and waffle fries" and have that be the least irritating thing you type?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lmao, are there two antinatalism subreddits or something?

The first one got banned IIRC.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Good on the dad and the kid for holding fast in the face of a tantrum. Clearly that kid has learned that tantrums work and gently caress that (literal) noise.

I'm not sure where you got that from. That's not a super unusual a reaction for a 6 year old (ish) for experiencing that kind of disappointment, and the parents reacted by removing him from the situation. The parents weren't the people asking him to give up the toy.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Reading my boyfriend's weird sex journal The issue with this is that he played Animal Crossing during the George Floyd protests.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

My fiancé no longer wants to be married until I can prove my faith if genuine

Have you tried developing a stigmata?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

It's been a while since we had a nice small business tyrant. From r/legaladvice.

Can a town legally shut down the only road to a public business for local events?

quote:

I recently opened a business in a small town of 2,000 people and it is right on main street. The building was long abandoned but i fixed it up and now it is opened.

The city got used to shutting down the road for local events since it was used to no businesses being opened there after 4pm (city hall, post office, dentist, the bank, the insurance company, the library etc all close at 4). However, my business is opened until 10pm.

Some of the events the city does are a 3 day weekend affair when nothing is normally opened all weekend and both ends of the road are closed off with road barriers and port a potties for all 3 days.

I spoke to the city earlier today and they informed me the events will continue and they won't be moving the location of the annual planned events.

Is this legal? I pay property taxes for the business and have a legal right to operate, do i not? I can't just be closed for all the events they have. In the spring-fall there is about 15 events they do, 2 of which are 3 day events.

There is no other road to access my store. The main street road is the only one and is a road turn at the end of each end of the block with no rear parking/store entry available.

In comments, the op says two things.
1. He does not believe there is any way for his business to take advantage of major small town events to get more foot traffic.
2. His business is a submarine sandwich shop.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand grown rear end adults who's end goal is to get someone to love them, to have a close loving relationship with someone, and their strategy is to attack them, insult them, guilt them.

It's like the little 3 year old who just wants to pet and love the kitty but will chase it and grab its tail and try to force it to be pet and gets so shocked when it bites and scratches them back. Yeah no poo poo the cat doesn't like you.

A lot of this is essentially insecurity. They can't stand the idea that someone might choose to not have a relationship with them (or not have the specific kind of relationship that they want), and seek to use whatever means necessary to ensure that they can't make that choice. They think that with the right force, the right leverage, or attacking the right weak points, they can control the relationship and dictate its terms. This can cover a lot of abuser dynamics as well as more simple manipulation.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

AceClown posted:

you mods, IK, whoever

Can I get a 6er with this picture of BIG JOHN

Soon all will be Big John. It's only a matter of time.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for not bringing 40 raw eggs on a plane?

About how many ounces of liquid are in an average egg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Hughlander posted:

AITA for dumping my Gf after she expected me to pay for EVRYONE on her birthday.

Looks like she might be able to reel him back in and net a clear thousand!

This is some TikTok poo poo, I guarantee it.