Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

CaptainACAB posted:

what is your favorite right wing nickname for the democrats?

demonrats is a classic but i also really love dhimmicrats.

Dumbocraps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The 2006 blue wave was a fun time and exactly what the GOP deserved for threatening to gently caress with social security.

Nothing much came out of it besides that one goon made Mallard Fillmore parody comic and owning Bush.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I wonder what he means by “pro-family”.

Probably not subsidized healthcare or mandatory paid leave or any of that commie freeloader bullshit. Maybe some (means tested) tax breaks at best.

He’s still trying to thread that old needle between social conservatives and lolberts. On the other hand, people off all political stripes are going apeshit over bitcoin so I doubt that will hurt him.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Let's hold off on those predictions to see whether the US still exists as a functional government by then.

The newly reconstituted CSA will have a female president before the US does.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

vyelkin posted:

medicare for all but it's rationed based on your myers-briggs type

Mandatory euthanasia for INTJs.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

When I said every 10th birthday I meant a lollipop every 10 years. Like on your 10th birthday, your 20th, your 30th, etc. Though it would probably be watered down to just your 10th and then not passed

One cheap sucker on the 10th birthday for the children of POC small business owners in disadvantaged neighborhoods. Limit one per household; if it’s a set of twins they must share it.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Biden will only win California (succiest state) in 2024 and nowhere else.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Lib friends insist Biden doing nothing is fine because he’s showing respect for our institutions and the office of the presidency by not going overboard with executive orders. Doesn’t matter the GOP won’t operate the same way, two wrongs don’t make a right!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

A friend of mine calls himself an Eisenhower Republican and really likes Biden. His litmus test for whether or not he likes politicians is how dignified they appear and how much they respect norms and decorum. He insists on holding the Republican label in spite of despising almost all of the modern GOP because he’s from the Great Plains and considers it a key part of his regional identity.

He can’t be the only one.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Any chance the Dems turn out just fine if Biden gets his war?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

We bought a nice house in a mid-sized town close to family in Georgia (not near Atlanta, natch). Wife invested in the right company at the right time and we were able to afford a down payment pretty easily after selling high.

I take a look at Zillow prices at *literally* anywhere west of the Rockies when I want a good laugh. loving tiny-rear end houses in Idaho Falls and exurban Phoenix are now north of 350k? No wonder people are so blackpilled.

I can’t even tell people to get off their coastie high horses and come on down to Dixie with me because it started getting stupid in the last year here, too.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Breakfast All Day posted:

exactly two options:

- theyre going to cancel it but want to wait until right before the election so theyre guaranteed a landslide
- theyre not going to cancel it but want to wait until right before the election so theyre guaranteed what will come to be known as the electoral terror

option three:

- they’ll end the extensions right before the election because they don’t want to win anyway/are complete idiots

option four:

- they’ll end the extensions after the election as a gently caress you to ungrateful youngs who didn’t vote hard enough

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

empty whippet box posted:

alabama is legitimately much nicer to be in than mississippi, that's not saying a lot but it's true. mississippi loving sucks from top to bottom everywhere you go. the only things I miss about MS are the weather being warmer, the chinese place I used to order from and the running trail I used to run on. everything else is lovely beyond belief

Alabama at least kinda sorta almost has mountains up around Huntsville. And Birmingham ain’t half bad these days.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

bedpan posted:

As of this moment, dems are in control of the house, senate, and presidency. Biden can cancel student loans unilaterally, based upon existing legislation and powers, this very moment if he wanted to. If the issue was that a law needed to be passed, the law could be passed this same day. This being the case, why don't we have student loan forgiveness?

Ask them why Biden hasn't canceled student loans. Ask them why Biden is content to talk but not act.

“Biden doesn’t have a clear mandate and he’s being poised and respectful by not forcing the law through with a bare majority of votes.”

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

democrats just assume hispanics will flock to them because Republican immigration policy is so insanely racist and unspeakable and then when they get into power end up keeping the same immigration policy because they don't want the mean tv people to say they're doing open borders

They also assume Hispanics are immune to FYGMism, unlike every other immigrant group that’s come to America since 1620.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

i don't agree that nixon beating JFK would have stopped the movement conservatives from taking over the republicans. all the big anticommunist oil money was already reshaping the party, and barry goldwater for example was already established by 1960. the only thing stopping them from overtly trying to redirect the part prior to 1960 was eisenhower's overwhelming popularity.

If Ike didn’t run we’d probably have President Robert Taft and the whole thing probably would’ve started a decade earlier. Plenty of Americans had Got Theirs by the 50’s and were ready to throw the whole safety net in the garbage.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Fart Dumbass posted:

what is the difference between a friend-in-common and a mutual friend...?

I guess “mutual friend” means a third party that you and another are friends with, rather than one friend who reciprocates your admiration.

This is all terminally pedantic of course.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/internet_tlcm/status/1560766817970307073?s=21&t=wa43YyfveqW81-i2l3iPJQ

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

wait, why make it state school specific? lolll that's just so needlessly limiting

Can’t let some fancy pants Harvard grad benefit from this!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I reckon there’s a 50% chance the pause will be extended again in January. I’m expecting a nasty Covid breakout and continuing runaway inflation.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Nothus posted:

Blame list:

Online leftists
BERNIE (who is not a democrat)
the media being mean
Biden (only because people don't appreciate the good he does)
Latin machismo
zoomers
millenials

Most people still don’t know what “zoomer” means. Most of my folks use “millennial” to refer to anyone under 50.

In any case, the “young” will probably get a lions share of the blame. Stupid lazy kids couldn’t put down their bongs and Xbox controllers for just five minutes to fill out a ballot.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Is biden going to immediately say that hes not running for re-election after they get destroyed or is he going to keep pussyfooting around 2024

If a safe D seat or two flips then maybe. Other than that he’s likely not going to budge.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Checks out. Boomer Dem parents like Biden but think he’s too goddamn old.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Lord of Pie posted:

my dad thinks Austin is some kind of lib hell hole because "people from California are moving there"

Twist: Your dad also came from California, just twenty years earlier than the current batch.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

What’s up with the apparently high number of split tickets? Fickle suburbanites who usually vote Republican who threw the Dems a bone because they don’t want abortion *quite* that illegal? Idiots who enjoy a vague idea of “balance” between the two parties? Who are these people who reelected Kemp but went for Warnock?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I honestly felt way safer in my iffy SF apartment than in my house here in the chudlands. Would-be thieves would have had to get through three locked doors just to get to my apartment that lacked anything worth stealing because I was too broke after rent and student loan payments to get nice things.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Trump will get into painting and palling around with Michelle Obama and the libs will fondly remember him as a lovable oaf, especially after Grand Moff DeSantis cancels elections two cycles in a row.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

they're doing the old classics again with the primary to replace her where barbara lee, katie porter, and adam schiff map perfectly onto bernie vs warren vs buttigieg/biden/generic empty suit democrat

I hope a Republican dark horse squeaks out a victory after Gavin and Nancy’s factions tear each other to pieces.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

ex post facho posted:

The younger generation now tells me how tough things are. Give me a break. No, no, I have no empathy for it. Give me a break. Because here's the deal guys, we decided we were gonna change the world. And we did. We did. We finished the civil rights movement in the first stage. The women's movement came to be.

So my message is, get involved. There's no place to hide. You can go and you can make all the money in the world, but you can't build a wall high enough to keep the pollution out. You can't live where—you can't not be diminished when your sister can't marry the man or woman, or the woman she loves. You can't—when you have a good friend being profiled, you can't escape this stuff.

And so, there's an old expression my philosophy professor would always use from Plato, 'The penalty people face for not being involved in politics is being governed by people worse than themselves.' It's wide open. Go out and change it.

Lol, “we”. Whoever wrote that was probably in diapers during the Civil Rights movement and Second Wave feminism.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

1. Literal fascists working to maximize harm
2. Literal fascists pretending to minimize harm

ftfy

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lol jesus

feels like there's a big ol sword of damocles hanging over the broader economy in October.

The SAVE plan might soften the blow a bit, but dropping what’s effectively an anti-stimulus during a period of high inflation is still stupid as hell

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

SAVE doesn't actually go into effect until next July.

You can apply for it now though.

Why in the hell do they need a whole year to roll this poo poo out? Is it so it’s fresh in our minds right before the election? Do they just want a good year of squeezing us in the hopes of putting a dent in inflation? Why are the Democrats such a waste?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

In Training posted:

I thought for sure the Dems were washed in 2022. It wasn't as bad as I expected. But I'm confident that if Biden and trump are both alive in Nov 24 the Dems will be destroyed. A waste

Dobbs saved the Dems’ bacon because it genuinely scared the poo poo out of even moderate voters. Handmaids Tale hasn’t become real yet so abortion concerns might not cut the mustard quite as much as last year.

I also think people like Trump himself more than the empty suited low energy slimeballs that make up your average GOP politician, even if some of them have his seal of approval.

Chance of Dem collapse next year feels much higher.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I predict Trump will keep his mouth shut on abortion besides the vaguest statements on how he respects life when people try to coax an answer out of him. He’s already gone on the record saying Dobbs went too far, but I doubt the religious right will stay home over it.

I just don’t see the next year going well for Biden, in between two wars that are bound to be lost and an increasingly lovely economy. On paper that sounds like enough to sink an incumbent. Carter and Herbert Walker Bush lost over less. Dobbs seems to have really fired up voters and spooked moderates though, and they haven’t let their guard down yet. My opinion as the world’s shittiest tealeaf reader is that it’s an open question if that’s gonna be enough to save Joe’s bacon.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

polls are worthless but these still made me lmbo

31 points from black voters :popeye:

Lmao at Biden making gains among olds.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Cancel the election. Democracy must be saved from itself.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Lord of Pie posted:

I think he means he's gonna get stuck in a bathtub

I dream of a future president so obscenely corpulent that he manages to get himself stuck in the XXXL bathtub they installed after Taft

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Nothus posted:

If the polling stays as dire as that map through the summer, I still think the party tries a hail Mary and replaces him right before the convention.

It’s still Her Turn after all.

No seriously, it’ll almost certainly be Hillary.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Zippy the Bummer posted:

there are rumors on the right that the dems will put michelle in at the convention. she was at 11/1 odds to win a few days ago, third behind trump and biden

Hasn’t Michelle said a million times she hates DC and doesn’t want to set foot in it again? Unless they force her to run somehow.

Has there ever been a candidate that was basically coerced into running for prez? William Howard Taft seemed ambivalent about it at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Rauros posted:

i've consumed enough sci-fi/fantasy fiction to know that the best leader would be the one that doesn't want it

Every American presidential candidate has to do a whole Cincinnatus song and dance about how they fear the lure of power but are compelled by Duty and Love of Country to assume the mantle of leadership with utmost fear and trembling. Voters tend to frown on those who don’t at least pretend to go through those motions. It’s why Hilldawg came off as repugnant to many (e.g. “It’s Her Turn”).