Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the port of Quake has some lighting issues
Where at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

loudog999 posted:

Split Pad users, what games do you find yourself taking them off and going back to joy-cons? Like I said, I barely use my old ones but I’ll be damned if I take the Mega Man one off unless I really have to. I’m guessing most with motion control. Personally I would need motion in Resident Evil 4, Quake, Dusk, maybe the Dooms. Anything else I’m missing? Splatoon I guess but I haven’t played that forever.

Pro tip: You can use gyro in Quake with the Hori splitpad, because we setup the gyro correctly (you are supposed to use the one inside the Switch itself while in handheld mode). ;)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

loudog999 posted:

But where are the Mega Man designs hidden on them?

Cool, didn’t know that. Any other games do this?

From our own, Turok2 and Strife, plus any titles released from now as it's now part of our pipeline. Turok1 and Doom64 predate our understanding of how it worked, and Turok2 got updated because of our crossplay updates (though I may go back and fix it in Turok1 if I ever get bored).

I'm yet to find or hear of any of game that gets this right (though I haven't looked, outside of the obvious ones like Doom 2016).

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

apparently the OLED switch’s vivid mode isn’t like a tv’s vivid mode, the Standard mode actually tones down the display’s default color output so it looks more like a normal LCD screen

This seems to match my observations, for at least games initially made for CRTs.
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1456941289098801155

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Stux posted:

im going to soptp this here and tell you straight up that the standard mode is more accurate and the vivid mode is literally a saturation bump. please engage you rbrains in the future.

I'm one of the developers of the Doom 64 rerelease. I know how the game is supposed to look. :P

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

I don't go for that nerd poo poo, we just compare the game to how it looks on a N64. Maybe it's "wrong" somewhere, but ultimately it doesn't matter; unless you're doing a AAA big budget Sony movie-venture title, you don't typically make a game with a reference monitor, you just use what everyone else has in their living room.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

You can probably tell I've had a few too many random description-less graphs thrown at me over the years. :v:
Colour profile graphs especially seem highly too specific. They serve a purpose elsewhere, but for games one can't be more correct than another given games have never had a correct profile to begin with. About the only time colour profiles matter is if you're emulating VGA, as they have a weird quirk where they take an 8bit colour profile that's internally only stored as 6bit, so some old DOS games actually look slightly different when ported to modern 32bit colour profiles if you don't account for it.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

You know, if this has an additional HDMI input of some kind, this device might actually have a decent purpose as an additional portable screen I could throw into my laptop bag.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

American McGay posted:

N64 games have never run "perfectly fine" on any piece of hardware ever in the history of the world, including on an N64.

Doom 64.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Pimping my own games.
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1473198630542594049

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I've got 5 days to play some switch games with my little sister before she moves back across the country again. I haven't played a game other than AC and Runescape in months and have no idea what to do. Any recommendations?

Doom & Quake.

Look these are the only local multiplayer games I know.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that happened four years ago and as far as I see, gyro aiming is not even in the conversation for other consoles. I guess the revolution really wasn't televised!

Literally every game I release on playstation gets immediate praise for including gyro aiming, followed by bafflement over how we are the only ones doing it (they ask us why if it's some sort of technical issue, but it's not and we have no idea), while everybody just automatically assumes our Switch ports have it in the first place (in fact any fps that doesn't have it on the Switch I typically see gets met with confusion and annoyance).

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Yeah we were very confused going in with the playstation given nobody else was really doing anything with the gyro. We expected going in to be this whole process involving conversions from a strange matrix, but no it turned out to be functionally identical to the Switch, just a 3D vector representing the current pitch, yaw and roll of the controller.

The Switch took about a day as our very first implementation of gyro (that was with Turok 1), and most of that was just making a generic API layer for it to convert it into player inputs. The playstation was like half a morning adapting it to the same function.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 9, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

As other people have already said, that's a double-edged sword. Basically no game has ever shipped with all the features that were at one point intended for it, and a lot of those intended features were cut for time or budget reasons. In "the good old days" when what was on the cart/disc was what you got, bugs that were in the game on release would remain in the game forever, unless the game itself was re-released in some form. Game mechanics that were unfinished would remain unfinished, etc. Nowadays, you can at least hope that bugs get fixed.

In an ideal world, all video games would release bug-free and feature-complete, but that ideal world does not and has never existed. Anyone who believes it did is fooling themselves. We have traded "the old way" for "the new way" and both have their positives and negatives.

It's funny when people try and claim that games never had day 1 patches before, and I have to ask them if they remember how Doom v1.1 shipped with a bug where multiplayer would crash if you were using a sound card. Any sound card. It didn't even launch with modem support, and saved games broke any active switches. poo poo was never bug free and the internet was already being used for early patches back in 1994.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Shadow Man is now available on Switch, 20 bux
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/shadow-man-remastered-switch/

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

dr.acula posted:

I know that Turok dev goon posts in this thread sometimes; you mentioned losing the Rage Wars source code but is there anyway that Nintendo could still somehow put it on the NSOapp?

I mean they could, but it wouldn't be a great way to play the game. :v:
However ultimately while in theory Nintendo could (assuming the emulator is up to the task), they would need to talk to the rights holders. Nintendo can't just publish third party ROMs without asking to the best of my understanding, as the publishing contract would have only applied to the real N64 and for cartridge sale and distribution, not a subscription service.
For the record, no we wouldn't be involved in that discussion if it happened.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 23, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Kwolok posted:

Been using my hori split pro and it's nice but I really wish it had gyro controls. What are the best ergo joy con replacements with hd rumble and gyro?

You can actually still get gyro controls but the game has to correctly support the handheld gyro configuration, rather than just using the joycon gyros all the time (the Switch unit itself has a gyro sensor). At least Turok2, Strife Veteran Edition and Quake support this, as will Powerslave Exhumed (which comes out real soon).

So if you want to look at it another way, another good way of getting gyro controls on replacement controllers is to email the developers of the desired game and tell them to fix their garbage, and it saves you money. :V

I really must go back and fix it in Turok 1.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 31, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1488682358857367553

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How.

How does Doom 2016 run this well and still look this good?

How?

Man, Panic Button are kings and queens of porting. Beautiful stuff.

IdTech is aggressively scalable (since even Quake3 and Doom3) and just great art design. Plus Panic Button seem to have a really good grasp on Nvidia Tegra hardware. It's not as weak as some people insist, but you can't brute force it like you can with your usual consoles.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Good sir,
You are missing Strife in your Doom collection. How dare you!

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Strife at least runs in the idTech1 engine (and curiously even kept the same map format unlike Hexen, despite the Dialogue additions). Dusk has no connection to Doom at all.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

so i think maybe the problem is the switch.

The Switch is running ordinary hardware, and even has the Nvidia drivers backing it up which provides identical graphics APIs and identical compatibility to what you have on the PC. It's so absurdly straight forward and regular that it's the only console that would take a legacy port of Strife because we could just throw OpenGL 1.5 headers at it and it just took it no issue. We can't port that to the Xbox or Playstation without rewriting the whole renderer.

So no, there's no problem with the Switch.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

begging for a Half Life 2 Switch port. It's literally ready to go. PLEASE VALVE!!

Hey Valve, I'll port Half-life 2 to Switch for you. Give me the source code and a cheque and I bet I could get it done/out in... 6 months? The engine has OpenGL, I bet 6 months would be about right.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Fuligin posted:

didnt they lose the rom ir somethung

The ROM is easy to find. What can't be found at the moment is the source code.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nope, they’re saved on the system. I don’t think the switch can write to the carts at all.

Indeed they cannot. In fact only devkits can, to special flashcarts.

Busy Bee posted:

2. If I purchase a physical Zelda game in Amsterdam for example, I'm assuming it's fairly simple to change the language of the game to English?

It's game specific, but most Switch games are actually the same ROM for all regions even on the cartridge, despite having different labels. You'll find they will typically start in English if the system language is configured as such, as to accommodate this.

The only exception is China, who must always have unique SKUs.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Rookoo posted:

Anyone know offhand which file system the switch formats SD cards as? I'm without a PC at the moment and am trying to format an SD card as EXfat. Apparently Android is incapable of doing it unrooted.
The Switch supports FAT32 and exFAT. Also you can format the microSD card on the Switch in the system settings.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 6, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Do the switches connect over bluetooth or wifi? That just seems really weird.

Wifi, either as an adhoc connection or AP. And as weird as it sounds, there is some truth to it however minor; the US doesn't have all the same wifi channels, which affects how wifi devices are configured for each region. I'd imagine this somehow causing a problem would be exceedingly rare, however.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

You've figured it out already, but the background is that Nintendo accounts aren't the users on the console, but just an addition to them. The design essentially is that online accounts are secondary and isn't part of the core consoles function, which is especially noticable when developing games for them.
It's much like the 3DS was, only with the ability to create more users.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

The Kins posted:

If old-style FPS games are your flavor, the Switch has a pretty good assortment with the Dooms, Quake, Duke 3D, Prodeus, DUSK... New style, there's the new Dooms, the Wolfensteins, and that rough Apex Legends port, but yeah, there's some very visible absences.

Wow, I can't believe you didn't also mention Turok, Powerslave and Strife. Why do you hurt me, Kinsie?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Waffle! posted:

How will 13 year old squeakers be able to tell me how trash I am at Modern Warfare if Nintendo doesn't do voice chat?

The Switch does do voice chat. I know personally that Turok2 and Quake have it, for example.
(Personally in the sense that I implemented it for those two games)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kinda sad the GBA version of Super Mario Bros 3 couldn't manage to pipe out the rumble function to the Switch controllers. I assume it's cause it's masquerading as a GBA so no output to be had from it or something.

In theory it could, but the emulator would need to be designed to simulate the hardware device that was used for it before, and then there's the Switch rumble itself which isn't a simple on/off function. It works more like a speaker that you play an effect through, in fact because of this we actually designed the rumble support in the Kex Engine games to work to the joycon specifications and then made our own HD rumble player for the more primitive rumble motors on other devices.

Edit: But it turns out it's already implemented according to the above poster. How about that. :v:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Sally posted:

serious question: can you use Switch Lites as a multiplayer controller? like could i go over to my buddies house and coop off of his Mario Wonder? (i dont have Wonder myself)

You cannot. However Mario Wonder supports using single joycons.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Space Fish posted:

Real lack of dunking on the wannabe Nintendo Lawyers of the 00s who assured everyone that NONE of the Mother trilogy would EVER see a stateside release again. Music licensing issues, weird jokes and references in the games, Nintendo crunching the numbers and moving on completely from the franchise... yet here we are.

Nobody is doing that because it's still only releasing in Japan. The situation hasn't changed at all.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

smoobles posted:

What's the best offline co-op game for two Nintendo Switches? My spouse and I have a long flight coming up.

Quake 2.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Mr.Acula posted:

I first read flight as fight and then i imagined a couple settling disputes via quake 1v1 and instantly became depressed knowing i will never find a partner like this

"I told you we need to buy a minivan!"
"Alright that's it, get your rear end in The Edge"

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

The Kins posted:

Turok 1-3, Shadowman and Forsaken have full Night Dive remasters on the eShop for optimal nostalgia for Acclaims tidal wave of mid/late-90s 3D games of wildly varying quality.

Forsaken isn't on Switch, only PC and Xbox.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

The Kins posted:

I actually googled to check first, but I was at the pub on my phone so I probably misread.

I warned you about having 8 rum and cokes.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Happens in the Quake remaster. Those smoother animations seem to only be applied to closer characters and enemies.

You seem to be mistaken about something. We don't have code to do such a thing in the Quake remaster, all models process interpolation regardless of distance. There was no need for such code because the network already culls out of frame actors entirely from the renderer, and the server updates all objects equally.

Plus I don't think turning off animation interpolation would improve performance, we don't have that kind of renderer.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Oh, weird, ok then. I definitely defer to your knowledge on the subject. :shobon: I just could have sworn that there were fewer frames of animation for far off enemies than there were when they were up close.

There is a thing in Quake2 where we render everything as their MD2 models instead of the MD5 versions past a certain distance. The Switch distance is halved. This won't change the animations explicitly, but it does mean it's vertex animated rather than skeletal. I don't immediately remember if we did the same thing in Q1.