Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
From the old thread:

Bruceski posted:

Oh God the music's still here. I get it game, there was a very exciting call to action three hours ago. You can go back to the old music now. I thought finishing the zone would end it. Please, let me botany in peace!

If you're a dirty plugin-user like me, the Orchestrion plugin was updated to allow replacing one song with another, or even to disable a specific song or set of songs from playing entirely. It comes with an option to put the currently playing song in the server info block and/or echo the current song to the chat log on song change.

You might have to let it use song IDs as not all the songs from Endwalker have public names at this point in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Pyro Jack posted:

Main Scenario: I guess Prae but that's because I feel that it's a bit longer than the other one. I honestly don't know if it's true but I think it feels like it.

Prae's got roughly 30 minutes of cutscenes in it. Castrum doesn't. However prae gives decently better xp because of its length, so, eh. There are people who will leave CM to requeue for Prae (presumably they're fate farming in the meantime? 30 minutes is a long penalty to take).

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

/hotbar copy CRP 1 BSM 1
/hotbar copy CRP 2 BSM 2

replace CRP with the class you want to copy from and BSM with the class you want to copy to. If you are the class you want to copy to you can also use current instead of the class name or abbreviation.

For controllers it's /chotbar instead of /hotbar but everything else is the same.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

you can have them when you take them from my cold, dead hands :colbert:

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, well, MMO players are fundamentally broken in one way or the other. Still don't know why people think it's more interesting to have dead ends you're never visit and enemies you won't fight.

It does help the dungeon feel like an actual place you're visiting rather than a themed corridor with conveniently placed temporary barriers.

It's not more interesting past the first time you run it, and it feels like Square has gotten better over time at making dungeons feel like events you're running through, particularly from StB on. I like what they've settled on, but it leaves some Heavensward dungeons in an awkward-feeling spot.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

it's so loving rude that you have to hit 49% instead of 50%. I presume the actual threshold is exactly half, but that the displayed hp value truncates so displayed 50% means "between 50% and 51%"

That's gotta be the reason DelvUI has this in their latest update, lol:

quote:

Added Rounding Mode, an option to choose in what way labels are handled (truncate, floor, ceil, round).

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Magres posted:

The thing that absolutely rules about fishing is that you can do rod fishing entirely by the audio queues. Turn off everything but Sound Effects, turn them up loud, put on some Netflix (with the volumes set right so you can clearly hear the fishing queues over whatever you're watching) or a game you can pause easily, or even do some WFH, and you can fish to your heart's content with minimal attention paid.

I leveled FSH 1-70 in Stormblood and made a fortune doing it and spent, at most, a tenth of the time I was fishing actually paying attention to the game. It'd be even better if I could figure out a way to get commands to FF14 without having to alt tab (like, I'd love to be able to hit ctrl+shift+Z to cast and ctrl+shift+X to hook without having the game up - could you do that TOS legally with autohotkey? I think it's within the spirit of "don't bot" because it's one action per button press, but idk), but even now I mostly just know what the different catches sound like and can fish by ear by alt tabbing quickly and hitting the appropriate key to hook or double hook and whatnot. The only problem with this method is that monster and mount noises are included in this, so if you crank your SFX super high and someone starts fighting something on top of you, it's drat loud.

If you have a controller, map a crosshotbar for FSH and turn on the option to have the game accept controller input even when the window is inactive:

You can also fish by force feedback as the game rumbles your controller when you get a bite.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

I love Mathbot because he's the only part of the Ivalice raids where I feel even vaguely competent.

Mathbot owns because you can see exactly how many people either don't get what's going on, or can't do some simple math on a time crunch. It's usually 1/3 or so of the raid I'd guess.

I didn't notice other people's debuffs, what does failing a test even do? Just a vuln stack?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

CJ posted:

If you're on PC use the orchestration plugin to change song 862 to 860. If you're on console turn your speakers off i guess.

A friend of mine suggested Black Hole Sun so I made it into a Penumbra mod and I kind of like it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

blastron posted:

There are likely to be a few plots open in the first window of 6.1 since auto-demolition will be resuming, so check on those on the past day the window is open.

Has this been announced anywhere? I thought they extended the auto-demo pause due to the Ukraine situation.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Vitamean posted:

I promise you guys if you queue for frontlines daily challenge and stick with the group of people no one's gonna care if you die a couple of times

you may even

end up

liking it

It's pretty unlikely, but it could happen.

But yeah there's no expectations on performance or anything, and as long as you're not idling at spawn nobody's gonna say a word to you specifically.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Bruceski posted:

We're getting new glam plates, any word on more space yet?

The previous live letter said 6.2 is when they will be doubling the glamour dresser space.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Martman posted:

If the other players (including healer) are doing crappy DPS then the packs will just take too long and you'll start to get worn down, maybe that's been causing you trouble.

They're rolling 3DPS so it could be that.

The double pull here in this person's 1-3 Stigma Dreamscape barely even gets to a second Bloodwhetting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1agAhJL7oF0&t=280s

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

it's not a smartass comment it's raising awareness of one of the best mounts in the game

I use a mod with Penumbra to turn it into a cheeseburger and it's easily my favorite mod and mount in the game.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, like, look at this:

It's not the only FC like that on Adamantoise either.

Those are people with basically single-character "sister" FCs, same tag but different FC. It sucks rear end still but for different reasons, and it seems like Square is gunshy about doing anything about it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

CJ posted:

I'm not saying i'd risk it, but there are people who openly use emotes that an unmodded client can't use in Limsa. I'm more interested in if it's possible.

I don't think it's possible tbh. Apparently the frames are 488 bytes in memory which isn't enough space to have any kind of custom animation. I haven't poked in the data structure myself but there's not much more room than just equipment and character config plus the extra portrait bits.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Macaluso posted:

There's a lot of amazing clothing mods too. Now there are also a lot of extremely horny sex mods, and one of the main mods that is required for a lot of outfits is something called Bibo+, which is a body replacement mod. And you can set it to have small clothes or full nude. I get the reasoning behind nude mods, I don't fully understand why so many of the clothing mods require Bibo+ or this other mod "Tight and Firm" (though Bibo+ keeps the body shape the same if you pick the small option.). I'd rather not have to bother going to the effort of installing an entire body mod just to put on all these cool clothes.

But anyway the point is there's a lot of clothing mods that looks really good and a lot of hair/tail options. Like I'd love YoshiP to just take a look at some of these hairs and outfits and just steal them and put them in the game. Also some of these outfits that modders create are insane. The one downside to using these mods is that, unless I've just totally missed something, the only way to mix and match mods that use the same model is to reinstall them. Turning one off and turning another one doesn't seem to work. The newest one just overwrites the old one. Which is a bummer because a lot of mods use the same specific item or hair style. Like the bathing suits are popular to use for a million different oufits, the ao dai (or whatever it's called), the ruffled dress, a handful of others. Yet another reason I'd like to see some of these just be implemented officially.

Not to mention HEELS!! There's so many heel options! Where are all my high heel options officially, YoshiP?? And these above don't even scratch the surface of cool looking outfits, there's just a lot that use the same model so it's a pain to have them all installed. The program that is used for these is pretty clunky

If you forgo using TexTools, there's a mod for XIVLauncher called Penumbra that does all that too. You can import .ttmp2 files and it does the right thing, only instead of modifying the underlying game files it unpacks them to a given directory, and redirects resource loads from the game files to the enabled addons. Multiple things can affect the same piece, and there's a system where you can set priority to certain mods.

You can also add Character Collections which are sets of mods that should always be applied to a specific character from a specific server, so multiple mods that affect the same thing could be enabled for different characters. These are a bit more complicated to deal with though.

Penumbra also enables replacing music files, so for example when I go back to Rak'tika Greatwood I hear the lovely sounds of Soken's voice. Or I have a mod I made myself to play Black Hole Sun in Ultima Thule

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Warmachine posted:

Thaumaterge is on my to-do list and I'm looking forward to everyone treating me like a baby again. "Do you know who I am?" "You can barely cast a competent Fire. Sit down." "I killed the--" "Sit."

Dragoon quests are hilarious after having finished the story. "Oh no you're not ready to face Estinien, he'd kill you with ease." Buddy, I know him and we go out hunting for treasure twice a month, it's no big deal, just lemme talk to him.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah even if you literally just do fashion report every week you'll get it eventually for almost 0 effort. I have every MGP mount except Fenrir at this point cause I think it looks ugly so I keep spending my money on other things. I'll get it someday.

So I just had one of the strangest interactions I've ever had in this game. I've finally started levelling Sage and was in Dohn Mheg. We went to the first pull and I immediately got all the aggro and died despite standing right next to the tank. The Black mage and I both asked him if he'd been using AOE because we both had pulled aggro. His response was "I guess I have to spam it" to which I replied "...yes? Always." I figured ok well hopefully it'll go fine from there. However it did not and we subsequently died in the next pull because he didn't use cooldowns and I couldn't keep him alive. At this point I just took the leaver's penalty and bounced. I am not very comfortable with Sage yet but even if I was I don't know how I could've salvaged that run. It's so baffling to me though, how could someone possibly have leveled a tank to 73 and not have the most basic idea of how to play the job?? It can't even be a skip since that goes to 80 now.

Edit: actually now that I think of it though I didn't check his actual level, so he could've been synced down. Maybe it was a skip after all. I dunno. Weird stuff.

If they were synced it'd be 74 in Dohn Mheg.

Though I have a couple friends with a whole slew of classes at 70 because they bought the boosts on sale before Endwalker released.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I gotta be honest I can't imagine playing without SimpleTweaks' option to disable that loving camera autoturn. It's disorienting every time I log in and ST isn't working for whatever reason.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah that did it (though I'm on PS4 so I had to just give approximates.)

FYI if you press L1+R1 with the map open, it puts a flag at the cursor position. You can then use <flag> in chat to put those exact coords in; I forget if the option to put that in the chatbox automatically when you mark a spot is enabled by default, but if it is you don't even need to type <flag> as it'll be there.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

I just put my entire rotation into a single macro

…As a Ninja

Ninja probably requires a bit much button-pushing but this guy has one-button rotation macros that do decently for DRG and SMN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZX-xhexJFk
This is not macroing your actual buttons, but it macros placing the right ability on the one button you're supposed to be pressing and changing hotbars to load up the next macro.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Doomykins posted:

It is hard to call stuff in FF14 filler because FF14 is so consistent about doing set up, whether in the moment to add some weight to what is going on(i.e. general MMO new zone storyline of "earn these people's trust") or for later by establishing what's going on in this part of the world. It feels like they tried to streamline and MMO-ify the part of a single-player FF where you'd get to a new town and obsessively talk to everyone to learn what's up. Like it can seem very filler-like "go do these chores because you're at a new hub and you gotta do chores" but it'll almost always follow a solid line of logic and put in consistent, at least average character building. This is in a genre where most writers wipe their rear end with the dialogue scripts or worse, including the other big AAAs in the field so even with all the warts it shines just for the steady competence.

ARR does mire you in two of the warts constantly but I get the Ascians need set up and are plot integral and all but boy, prior to ShB they're punch clock cloaked villains without at least the bombastic charm of your Exdeaths or Skeletors... discount Organization 13!

TBH it's hard to tell what parts of these are denouement from 1.0 and particularly in ARR/HW things were not exactly being set up for a specific purpose. The writers said in interviews post-Endwalker release that (not endwalker spoilers, but perhaps spoily anyway) the Ascians particularly didn't have a driving motivation, they were just villains doing typically villainy poo poo; to their credit they worked things out well enough so ARR Hydaelyn and ARR Lahabrea's speeches still kinda fit, as long as you're willing to work it into what came later

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Dareon posted:

So it pains me to admit this, but I could use a little nudge towards mods. Because the game is like 90% playable without them, but my god that 10%.

I want a plugin that'll let me plug in a recipe and tell me where to find the ingredients, and another that will look at my inventory and highlight things (fish) that will never be useful for crafting.

fake e: Garland Tools does the first at the cost of alt-tabbing, which is acceptable. But I could still use the second.

You probably want Allagan Tools, formerly known as Inventory Tools. I haven't used it personally but it can do lots of Garland Tools stuff right in the game, and you can set up filters to highlight things (like all items that can be gathered but aren't used for crafting).

If you're already using XIVLauncher, it's in the default plugin repo ready to install. If you have plugin testing turned off, it'll still be InventoryTools IIRC. Some of the stuff like generating crafting lists is in the updated version, so you may need to enable testing to have it do everything you want.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Alxprit posted:

Oh, since it's using a third-party launcher, maybe I should wait a day or two after 6.2 comes out to make sure it won't break compatability or what have you? No need to rush in any case, but it's definitely kind of awkward timing.

The launcher itself and its ability to update and start the game are extremely unlikely to be affected by this. Launching and updating happens separately from injecting the plugin loader into the game, and game launch stays pretty stable; the only exception was when they made Steam accounts use Steam authentication, and login for Steam-connecting SE accounts wasn't working for a few days.

Any plugins you may or may not want to use will likely not be working for a day or two, possibly longer depending on how much the game executable changes. This patch the dev team for XIVLauncher are also changing to use .net 6, so some plugins may get left behind in that upgrade as well.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

well thread, i did it. decided i wanted to do ex4 before savage unlock and managed last night. my first at-level ex clear, even!

... i parsed grey, but hey a clear's a clear. time to drill the rotation until i have it down before i PF some savages.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

I guess I'm just left wondering when I'm going to find a group that's open to explaining stuff to me or are these conversations I should be having ITT or in my FC chat.

Mostly venting about problems that aren't major problems yet on my part.

The trick with PF is that most people are lying about where they're at, both people making parties as well as those joining. People are generally not immediately assholes though, you can ask what a given mechanic is and have it briefly explained. This tends to be fairly terse, a quick one-sentence thing; often you'll get it anyway after a wipe, when someone who does know will mention what went wrong (e.g. wait for AOE puddle to show before clocks = don't spread away from the mechanic position too soon).

If you're confident in your ability to pick up and apply mechanics, you can watch a video guide and sneak in, particularly if a party is listed at a relatively early point in the fight. If you're not, anything tagged with a sprout or [Practice] should be fine.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Red Metal posted:

if ppl aren't telling you the trick to a fight, it's probably because they don't remember the trick, if there even is any. a lot of fights boil down to "prioritize adds, don't stand in the bad"

This is also true. There's a bunch of dungeons and bosses and several of them get run pretty rarely by people, and I definitely don't remember most dungeon boss gimmicks until they happen.

Hell, even the new current dungeons I barely remember the gimmicks until they're happening..

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

I got a dude killed in P6n last night because I (a tank) repositioned too early from front+back safe to sides safe. The boss turned with me before blasting front and back, and at the last moment I realized it and got out. Most everyone else did too but one poor dancer ate it.

A dude in party chat called out my big brain murder and it was pretty funny. I didn't mean to kill them, I was just tanking while high.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

Also, on the subject of vets not talking about mechanics: if I'm queueing via roulette, especially 50/60/70/80 roulette, there's a decent chance I'll end up in an older dungeon I haven't done in weeks or months and I'm only slightly less clueless than the newbs. I may very well only remember enough to explain after a wipe. (I am not very good at this game!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcsYWWyn-rQ

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

S.J. posted:

Can someone please tell me if it's worth slotting DH on warrior now thank you very much

yes

crit is still more important, but dh is better than det/ten. also meld sks over dh, but only to the gcd speed you want obviously.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it's really not so bad, the challenge log pays out, per week:
21.5k for playing enough triple triad (win 10 in battlehall, play open tournament)
2.5k for interacting with minigames (win 100 mgp, play 3)
27k for afk losing 5 lord of verminion bot matches

and that's before mini cactpot/regular cactpot/fashion report!

I've said this before when it's come up but do not sleep on Verminion tournaments. They're not at the same time every week it's like 3 days on, 3 days off or something. But you don't have to face human opponents, just queue for Master Tournament once you're registered.

The cheese strategy I use relies on Wind-up Kojin and Wind-up Gentleman, so you'd have to have done the Kojin to that point and the ARR Hildibrand quests. Summon 4 Kojin to A, 4 Kojin to C, and send them at the arcane crystal. Summon as many gentlemen as you can and send them to B. Once a crystal goes down, send the minions from that to the center. Should take about 3 minutes at most to win.

If you win 5 matches it's another 40k or more. If you win 10 matches 4 times, you can get a penguin pet from the achievement, and winning 10 matches usually rewards 80k-100k MGP.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Onean posted:

It's not a blanket ban on mounts and emotes, and not all of the furniture and clothing is spared. It's just the single-character stuff. All emotes fall under that banner, unfortunately, but a large chunk of mounts don't. It's just the holiday mounts, furniture and outfits that do, since they were character specific to start with. The non-holiday mounts are account-wide, and giftable.

As far as I can tell this is not true, there are no mounts that can be gifted. I tried with a couple I don't own, and there's no gift option. Trying with one I do own won't let me proceed to purchase because I already own it.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

GloomMouse posted:

I'm not sure what the issue is exactly but if it needs to be a 'puzzle' for you, then the 'puzzle' is "wtf is this note talking about???" It's not exactly going to make your brain explode but the note is meaningless unless you connect it to the other route (which you may not have done yet). Also, there have been several people that got the note and still didn't get where or how to use it until it was explained to them, so there's at least some thinking involved by the player

I had a similar issue tbh. A friend handled the puzzle room by looking up the solution and just doing it, and I kept asking if there was any reason why that was the solution. Then we did a different path and got a note and welp, the solution is just find this note and do what it says. It felt pretty anticlimactic, I had been hoping that there was more of a logic puzzle to be figured out but there's no pattern or anything. They can't all be winners I guess.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Kerrzhe posted:

if you don't have a single macro with every phrase strung together what are you even doing

I'm lazy and TidyChat makes it so when i talk normally to someone i'm supposed to /say to, the plugin copies the reminder text to the clipboard so I can lb+rb paste it in. Never have to type it out so I can play without a keyboard attached.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

Sanctuary's Heart is pretty mediocre. There's like, 4 good songs, another handful of songs that are fine, and then a little under half the album just blows. Finality in particular, who the gently caress greenlit this mario paint-rear end sounding song? Equilibrium similarly mishandled into a song that sounds basically nothing like the original.

Yeah that's about where I landed too. Haven't listened to the whole thing through yet because what I did hear was not inspiring a sit down through all of it. A couple of tracks are neat but a bunch just aren't chill and use some weird samples and effects that don't make for a good track.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah that's what I want to do tbh. I know it's a long shot, but is there anything here that just screams "oh no that's a big ol' "dog oval office" you gotta keep that" to anyone in this thread?

Qwertycoatl posted:

One thing to pay attention to:

"Shop Selling Price" is how much it costs to buy that item from an NPC vendor. If that's gently caress all, just get rid of the item you can buy it again if you need it.

If you're not on the free trial, you can sell things on the marketboard. If you can sell something for a decent price, do so. If you can't, toss it because if you need it later you can buy it cheap.

If the shop sell price is none, you can't buy the item of course. If it says restricted, there's some need to unlock the vendor. Those can sell for ok amounts on the market board.
As mentioned the book might be useful, probably has recipes for a crafting class though it could be an emote. The glamour prisms and glamour dispellers are worth keeping, as are the gyshal greens to summon your chocobo to fight with you. Nothing you have looks to be irreplacable other than the friendship circlet, which is worth keeping around for the times you have a class under 25 you want to level.

And if you don't want to bother with the market board for the materials (or don't have access to it because you're on the trial), just vendor them. They'll be worth modest amounts, but you won't meaningfully lose anything by doing so.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Awesome! posted:

oh poo poo, i will look into that. is it just called "improved mount roulette"

it's called "better mount roulette" and it finally got groups in, so you can set as many or as few mounts as favorites as you want, and you can set up groups of them

so make a group called "dragons" and use /pmount dragons and it picks a random mount from that group.

I don't know if it's in yet but the dev has planned to use groups as though they were one mount, so you can set up a few specific mounts and a couple groups like "horses" or whatever and rather than choose among all selected mounts, it'll choose an entry and if it lands on "horse" pick a random mount from the horse group. basically weighting everything in the group as one mount.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Kharmakazy posted:

Throwing more hardware at it is literally what scaling is. And it isn't a matter of losing money, just making slightly less profit, which can easily be offset by renting. They have an app you rent, retainers for rent, and they literally sell passes to bypass content. This isn't a crazy or even difficult idea, it's literally what they are already doing.

Mind you, I don't really care, but I always think it's very strange when people are willing to just chalk up these low level technology problems as if they were insurmountable or even difficult.

They did just come off a long period where they could not acquire any more servers for quite a length of time, to the point that they stopped selling the game because it was so crowded it took an hour or two to get on a server. Luckily that has changed which is why new servers have finally opened recently with more to come.

Technical decisions were made long ago that housing wards are neighborhoods and will always be running rather than spinning up and down as people leave. There also seems to be a reluctance to touch any of the code related to housing; some of the plugin developers theorize most of the housing was done in a rush by contractors and the whole thing is a spaghetti mass that will make things keel over if you look at the code wrong.

It's technical debt that has to be paid down, which is their responsibility of course. But because of the technical decisions made back in 2013-2014 and because of the semiconductor shortage, it's still not as simple as throwing more hardware at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

drat they just keep coming with random quality-of-life features previously implemented in a third-party addon.
Portrait (furniture) previews are in, party list debuff time remaining is in, gil count in the inventory window is in, and loving FINALLY you can disable the automatic camera follow in Legacy movement.

All of these were options I used from addons and it's really nice to see QoL stuff like that implemented with each of these patches.

Plus it looks like they're finally pulling what remains of cross-class skills out of the game with the change of gatherer skills to role actions.