Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pablo Bluth posted:

Everywhere has cool megafauna until homo sapiens turned up and ruined the joint. Even North America also had a species of lion and cheetah (the latter may be related species or an example of convergent evolution). The second fastest land animal, the Pronghorn Antelope, may have evolved it's speed to avoid the american cheetah.

edit: the worst top page post.

It wasn't about F1 so it's inherently better than all the other posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

refleks posted:

These are fantastic. Please scan them so we can use them as avatars.

Bags me dick schumacher

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Toyota also had it, but didn't manage to do anything with it iirc

I think Truli managed to put it on pole and they got a couple of podiums at the start of the season.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I will eventually do my alternative scoring system with correct scores to prove that I'm correct rather than the false bad score the fia uses

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

net work error posted:

GasMan deserves to be in the same category as Lando and George

Gasman should be the future but red bull

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Remember when Ferrari were terrible for years until they put British and French people in charge, and then as soon as the Italians took it back over they became poo poo again?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Checo WDC 2022

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

harperdc posted:

Absolutely, he has to be on the list for Mercedes should Lewis decide to retire.

Gasly taking the champion title off Max would be an excellent outcome.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ArmZ posted:

if alpine is good after the rules change i'd like to see gasly there, but alonso seems like the kind of guy who will never retire

Ocon and Gasly hate each other for some reason so that would be fun

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Immolat1on posted:

Scud buds will have the best car but bungle the WDC

This is definitely what's going to happen and it's going to be hilarious/infuriating

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Also there was a bomb at the Jeddah stage of the "Dakar" rally. Hopefully this will lead to Jeddah bring pulled from the calendar due to security concerns.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I often think that F1 awards way too many points these days so I often like to do an end of season exercise to see how older points systems would inherently improve formula 1. As such I'm please to announce the results of the

2021 Dot Commie's 1950s Formula One World Championship

Rules:

1. Points are awarded for the first 5 finishers who get 8, 6, 4, 3, and 2 points respectively.
2. 1 point is awarded for fastest lap regardless of where the driver finishes. This should encourage people with no hope of finishing in the top 5 to grenade their engine in pursuit of the fastest lap.
3. Only the drivers best 66% of races (15 for 2021) count towards their final score.
4. For the constructors championship all races count.
5. The Indy 500 counts as a world championship race again.
6. I have begrudgingly decided to follow the FIA's lead and awarded half points for Spa instead of discounting it.

So here are the results:

Max still wins the WDC, and actually by a bigger margin. The biggest changes are in the midfield where Lando comes in 5th and Sainz falls by two places to end up behind both Lando and Sharles. The addition of the Indy 500 means that Helio Castroneves finishes in 12th beating 10 of the "actual" 21 F1 drivers. By getting the fastest lap at indy Santino Ferrucci beats 6 of the 21 F1 drivers, which is hilarious. Aston Martin are entirely saved by Vettel who gets 9 points over the course of the season against Stroll's 0

I haven't bothered showing the 0 pointers because then potentially I have to add the entire Indy 500 grid and I have no interest in doing that. 0 pointers among our actual F1 group are Stroll, Kimi, Latifi, Gio, Mick, Mazepin, and Bobby Kubica. Kubica is obviously a bit of a fringe case but the rest are clearly certifiable bin men.

Also only Lewis and Max were hit by only 15 races counting as no one else scored points in more than 15 races. Max had the most points finishes with 21. Lewis got 20..

The biggest changes are in the constructors where Red Bull beats Mercedes to secure both championships. I have counted Pato's points in the Indy 500 towards McLaren's total because it's funny, but they still would have beaten Ferrari to third position by 0.5 points without this change. Otherwise the main differences are because of the Indy 500 which pushes Williams further down the standings and make it even more apparent that Alfa and Haas are a joke.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 5, 2022

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Otmar shouldn't have stepped on so many rakes.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

harperdc posted:

This is really cool, and definitely funny to see the Indy 500 runners and teams added in and ranking above a number of full-time F1 teams.

Thanks, I'm glad at least one person liked it because that makes my horrible brain worthwhile

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Big Reddit energy from this post

I called Kimi bad which Reddit people would never do.

I'm also going to do another one at some point to prove that Ricciardo is the most overrated driver on the grid. I don't have any data to support it yet but I know I'm right.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Zedd posted:

Good post bur shouldn't Mazepin have half a point for his fastest lap in Spa (lol).

Spa points are offensive enough as it is, there is no way anyone is getting fastest lap points.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Zak Brown is a good lad who means well

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

It's incredible that Joe's Award continues to make a career out of being an F1 journalist despite the fact that he is always wrong without fail.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Theophany posted:

My Lewis Hamilton husbando body pillow arrived today can't wait to break this bad boy in with a thick ropey load

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This probation was entirely reasonable. True F1 thread posters only ejaculate onto their cast iron cookware to "season" them.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

MustardFacial posted:

You should gently caress Theo's cousin op

loving Theo's cousin's ex-wife's boyfriend for thread clout.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I personally think it's very good that bottas posted his taint

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Max drove into a virtual wall in virtual le mans

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Imagine thinking anyone will still be employing Ricciardo

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Buxton is the dumbest man alive

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Why would pat o'o'ward be in F1

There's so much to unpack here

Pato tested for McLaren at the end of the season and has expressed an interest in moving to F1. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he replaces Ricciardo for 2023.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

New Ferrari leaked already:

This one always gets a laugh out of me.

Also I hope Flavio doesn't come back, not for the integrity of the sport or anything but because he will definitely be on a yacht in a tiny Speedo at some point and I don't need to see that again

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Frond posted:

He was hammered by Tomoki Nojiri in Super Formula in the same car, although he did outperform Ticktum and Vips. He would be eaten alive in F1.

I don't disagree, but he'd be replacing Ricciardo so it would probably still be an improvement.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

learnincurve posted:

motorsport manager plus all the expansions are £6.99 on steam sale till the 3rd

A good game until you get to the off season and have to play fastest finger first with the AI to sign a new driver/engineer

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Theophany posted:

The original Matrix film was good but I think it is fair to say, based on a recent Fox News interview and Reddit meltdown, that we're all a bit loving worn out from tolerating a very specific venn diagram.

I feel like I missed something because I have no idea what this post is about.

Also maybe the other wachowski was the good one and that was why the new matrix was bad (I haven't seen it though so maybe it's good)

And finally they should make F1 be speed racer

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

F1 has a streaming service, it's got a few tiers including one with just on-demand if you're OK with just watching the races a day after or whatever.

Just FYI this is only true if you are an American, a lot of us can only legally watch F1 on Sky.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

F1 is a dumb sport for idiots and you should probably watch something like wrestling which is less fraudulent

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Theophany posted:

Whilst the horny nun movie does sound like a good watch, the director's name sounds suspiciously Dutch and I refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of anything produced or stolen by that fail nation. :colbert:

Paul Verhoeven is the one good Dutch person who likes to make movies about being horny, graphic violence, and Jesus (all at the same time).

Q: should I watch the horny nun movie with my wife?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

your friend wicka posted:

Starship Troopers is like 25 years old and still making quasi-fascist dweebs mad to this day, Verhoeven owns

Reading the first 5 pages of the book deciding it was fascist nonsense and writing a parody nazi propaganda film with doogie howser in a literal SS uniform instead. King poo poo.

E: it took me ages to watch it because my dad is a super autistic nerd and hated it

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Have to say, unlike the last two iterations of a Formula One car, the new cars look sexy as hell.

I fully expect the rules to have left a loophole where the optimal design is a nose that looks like a floppy cock

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I like the McLaren livery. Also like how it and the Aston look so different. Glad that fears of a virtual spec series were unfounded

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Q_res posted:

Thought the rest of you might find this interesting, Sky Sports threw this comparison up on Twitter.

It's definitely interesting how much wider the mcaren is at the back. I guess Aston are dumping heat through the grills on the sidepod, but because McLaren's sides are so narrow their engine heat has to go out the big opening at the back?

Actually the engine cowling in the Aston in general is a lot smaller than the McLaren. You wouldn't think they were running the same engine just looking at the bodywork.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 12, 2022

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

harperdc posted:

Yeah exactly, the Aston is the break with contemporary (2009-2021) design because those vents haven’t been allowed, so the McLaren style has been the direction. That and allowing for a lot of air to run under and along the top of the floor was the “right” design choice.

But with vents allowed, and the floor full length being more important, it’ll be really interesting to see who else goes the Aston direction.

The other interesting thing from the shakedown? That ride height, it’s not quite slammed down but definitely not as high-rake as before.

There were a lot of rumours at the end of the season about Aston coming up with something very clever. I wonder if the Merc is going to look like the Aston and McLaren have been a bit too conservative?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

So that one McLaren sponsor is just like, dip but without any actual tobacco in it so it’s legal to advertise?

Yes and it's explicitly marketed at teens, because there isn't enough mouth cancer in the world today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

ArmZ posted:

Should I buy the checo flag

I love Checo "WDC 2022" Perez but this flag loving sucks.

Just buy a mexican flag