Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had no queue to get in and haven't experienced any weirdness. it's been extremely smooth.

legend campaign isn't loving around but has been fun and doable. been using my mainstays arc logic and tranquility, crutching hard on gjallarhorn and devour warlock. I kinda brushed it off when they announced it but the legend campaign has actually felt like a really nice value add to the expansion and I'm enjoying it more than expected. extremely good first impressions for the expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The lore on the season artifact talks about how it’s only usable by a lightbearer against other lightbearers

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah not sure I get the complaints about The Witness’s character design, he looks pretty cool to me. Maybe it’s just the eyes.

the eyes gave me a noticeable uncanny valley feeling, which I expect is by design

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tbh the first roll being 46 stat feels worse than not getting it at all because now it’s diluted in the drop pool if you do lost sectors for it and want to get one with stats you’d actually use

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I know it's too soon to know for sure, but I am pretty confident in a few Pain Points with weapon crafting.

The inventory caps on the materials are LOW, so I'm going to be filling my vault with resonance guns that are ready to be harvested

Getting a crafted gun to a high enough level looks to be a long, long long process. Like, too long. "pick one or two guns to Craft this month" long.

Perks should really be "unlocked" on a specific gun rather than paid for each and every time. If I spend a month of material grinding on my shotgun, but then they nerf Full Choke and I want to go back to my original barrel, I've got to pay the piper for the masterwork, the mag, and all "Perks" in full again.

It doesn't seem like the system is going to deliver on its promise of clearing up vault space, and it's not a good system for Testing new perks and combos. Picking perks on a gun just one time is a huge commitment of time and resources.

It is definitely an effective system of Bad RNG Protection though. No matter what if I never get a great roll on X Gun, I can use X Gun for 2700 kills and a few weeks of material farms and buy that roll directly.

Haven’t dug deeply into it myself as I only just finished the legend campaign, but I’m highly sus about the crafting as well. crafting looks like an insanely grindy way to let you scrape every last bit of possible optimization out of a weapon, but I really don’t care about getting my weapon rolls past 80% Good to be satisfied with them. needing 3 pattern extractions on a gun just to unlock it and then having to rank it up from 1 from there (which itself costs several new kinds of funny money) looks like an unreasonable slog unless I’m missing something. I will probably only engage with this much if some of the new weapons feel unusually good to use or there’s some outside requirements to use it, like how it’s needed for the osteo cat

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

e: wrong thread

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pioneer42 posted:

I know they have done their best to walk me through it with the quest prompts, but I just don't understand weapon crafting. I'm sure it will come to me eventually, but all these different currencies with wizard names and having to rotate through suboptimal weapons to get them is discouraging me from engaging with it.

what exactly do you find unintuitive about terms like “deepsight resonance extraction”

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6svdTp1vpls

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I can’t envision how you would change a lot of raid encounters to be the Baby’s First version of the encounter without simply turning it into something else entirely. how would you make a simpler version of the fourth encounter of last wish that still accurately uses the same mechanics of the encounter and teaches you how to do it without just throwing long sentences of text on everyone’s screen telling them what to do?

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 8, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

By vault, I meant the fourth encounter of last wish, I should have been clearer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’ve never understood why I should care about the minutiae of weapon recoil compensation in a game that literally drags your bullets into enemies.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

and never forget the besto

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

my reaction to doing the raid for the first time last night was "this is awesome" followed by "and I am never bothering to min/max anything from this" after seeing that all the guns each need 5 red border drops to even begin crafting one, having gotten a total of 1 from the clear

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coldforge posted:

You can get 2 guaranteed red drops per week, one of which you get to choose.

what’s the other guaranteed drop besides the raid spoils one at the end? I didn’t get the first bonus chest since it would have been empty for me, so if it comes from that chest it would explain it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

fast cars loose anus posted:

god drat who keeps doing this

and why isnt the 4x seasonal thing retroactive this is very silly

with that said I need to masterwork my heart of inmost light and then after that my next golfball will go to a vow, then

the 4x season boost still didn’t make it much less painful because at that time the catalyst required having eriana’s equipped at the end of the activities lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

since I switched to warlock fulltime, I basically haven’t used anything but ophidian aspect because changing to more specific exotics would require loving with armor mods to fix my stats every time. you also can’t put universal ornaments on exotic armor which means changing your exotic armor piece has Barbie Complications

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

gambit will always suck because in matches where the game revolves around the invader, it feels like the match is entirely decided by boring encounters that are usually just instantly deleting each other, while in matches where the game doesn't revolve around the invader, you have no direct investment in why one team won vs. the other. looks like they killed their boss faster, if I want to know why that is I uhh guess I can rapidly try to inspect the players on the other team before the lobby closes and get a vague idea of how their equipment contributed to that? oh we killed our boss faster uhh...good job doing that somehow better than whatever they did? it's completely different than crucible where you have an internalized sense of why one team won and the other lost because you're participating in all the fights directly

you're inherently too disconnected from the other team for the mode to be satisfying outside of invasions, but meanwhile there's a red button on the director right next to gambit you can simply click to get invasion gameplay all the time, with fewer instakills

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 1, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

you can't accidentally blow yourself up with Sleeper.

Turns out you actually can, as I learned when someone strafed in front of me the instant I fired on caretaker

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

champions didn’t bother me once the mods were moved to armor instead of the weapons themselves, but started bothering me again now that the awful crafting system incentivizes using red border or crafted guns as much as possible which might not line up with the mods available this season. but that’s less of an issue with champs than crafting

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lol

https://i.imgur.com/KZCBs7q.mp4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jotunn is my first rec for both pvp and pve

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

mine showed 100% on warlock.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

they’re saving up for the big surprise that they’re actually updating two subclasses at once: moving void and stasis to the arc/solar model

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

jotunn catalyst

:captainpop:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

heck yeah it's time for some season of the haunted GUARDIAN GAMES

https://i.imgur.com/oaS9uXE.mp4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

talking to banshee crashed me on PC as well.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I do not understand why this mode goes to 5 with no mercy. 3 would be plenty.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The way they are doing storytelling week by week now is good but not the mode of character development being literally persona 4’s “you’re not me!!” to a ghost (doesn’t work) and then “oh, you are me” (works)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the event’s fine for what it is, but every single pattern needing 5 red border drops is preposterous, much like the entire crafting system. A typical case of destiny’s raw content being good but with the expectation that you’ll repeat it so many times that you’re unavoidably sick of it by the time you have the treats. their desire for you to treat the game as a religion does a disservice to the good content they make.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

It is fundamentally, incredibly funny that they have a really good-feeling looter shooter and just keep piling on more and more mechanics to keep you from using the cool guns that are ostensibly the entire point of this whole exercise.

Sweet, I finally got that cool exotic, now to do 200 gambit rounds/strikes/crucible matches, then get 600 kills with it, and then....finally use the goddamn finished gun vault it because I need red frame juice and I have crafted guns to level up and it's void burn this week and said exotic doesn't fit with the anti champ mods I need for this activity anyway and I have bounties for sword and glaive kills and a weekly challenge to kill 420 guys on the moon with machine guns and and and

this has been the case for a long time, but there was still a point when you'd get done with all your quests/catalysts/bounties and could just use whatever fun gear you wanted in non-loadout-restricted activities without thinking about wasted progress.

now that crafted guns exist and may as well be an indefinite grind, there's never a time when I feel like I can use my favorite weapons without having a faint sense of anxiety that I'm leaving Progress on the table. this is partly brain spiders but also partly the legitimate reason that I have no idea what will suddenly turn out to be good down the line and suddenly people are telling you to bring it for raids, so I try to cover all my bases and have as many options as possible in my vault to pull from. the result is the existence of the system at all has been a net negative to my experience, and I hope the next season's guns need an even more preposterous number of red borders to craft just to push me over the threshold into definitive Fuckit Mindset where I won't care about them

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ACValiant posted:

I despise the Witherhoard in PvP. For some reason when I'm damaged by it I don't recognize it until I'm dead. In Iron Banner you could always count on some fucker shooting it in a place I'd end up retreating to and dying from it.

Witherhoard’s presentation is unusually bad at communicating “you are in a damage over time field, please move.” the damage ticks are extremely far apart which doesn’t communicate that something is doing damage over time, it’s not associated with a clear audio tell, and doesn’t have a good screen overlay effect. compare this to vex milk where you immediately get fast damage ticks, distinctive audio, and electricity effects on your screen.

somewhat related gripe: the red coloring that’s supposed to differentiate friendly vs enemy damage zones like DOT grenades is far too indistinct.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Panderfringe posted:

Well that's what I get for only half paying attention. The context clues from the snippets of dialogue did not suggest that. In my defense though, the story is written in kindergarten crayons and doesn't deserve that much attention.

Crayons are meant to be consumed and thoroughly digested.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

xzzy posted:

There was that one overload in aphelion's rest that was bugged last fall. I can't find any reference to it but my dumb memory wants to say it was caused by lobbing a duskfield grenade at them then hit them with an overload smg you'd get spammed with 15+ stun messages.

Of course that's not the lost sector today but I figured I'd put that out there.

I’ve had this happen a few times with an overload champ in the third encounter of vow. didn’t seem to have any other effects going on besides me shooting it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

xzzy posted:

Cabal so bad at designing ships they can't make a door that their troops can fit through without clipping.

their doors don't need to be taller when their troops have the power to clip

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

How the gently caress has anyone managed to do solo flawless Duality with all the physics errors? I just called it for the night because Gahlran managed to smack me and the game decided the physics for that were to shoot me from one end of the arena to the invisible wall opposite at 60MPH. I died from the out-of-bounds timeout before I even fell into the bottomless pit.

I feel like the game goes through phases where getting hit by melee is safe and phases where getting hit by melee opens a rift to the physics dimension

https://i.imgur.com/oo7aRjK.mp4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I sure hope nothing happens to my good friend Eris Morn at reset, I hope she is perfectly fine and not at all in any danger/is the danger.

How busy is her voice actor right now?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm just glad The Big Head from Calus's old raid boss fight came back.

I wanted to shoot the spooky skulls again

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don’t mind it on paper. in practice the available set of anti champ mods tends to feel really limiting with special ammo weapons specifically. I can never get a loadout that checks all the required boxes but also feels comfy with the special ammo weapon I want to use. they need to have a broader set of anti champ mods available in a season.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the time-gated part of stasis is not per-character, you can use those bits on anyone once you have them. having to do the rest of it per-character still sucks even after they shortened the grind.

Making you use the subclass sans all of its power before you’re allowed to use the actual subclass was a great way to make stasis feel lovely and weaker than your existing subclasses, and I imagine it’s even worse now that light subclasses have been fancified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

haveblue posted:

Keeping stuff with bad rolls because theoretically in the future a balance change might make them good is a bridge too far IMO. Has that ever actually happened?

100 resilience in pve suddenly became desirable for warlocks and hunters overnight. trying to preemptively prepare for every possible balance swing they may or may not do is definitely too much work though, I agree