Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

SlowBloke posted:

If he is not aware of being a propaganda item, he is an idiot.

It was always this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

psydude posted:

We're funneling tens of thousands of anti tank and anti-aircraft weapons to a country that's laying waste to his military and have almost completely gutted their economy through the most aggressive sanctions applied to any county since World War II But hang on, let's not rush to conclusions about ousting Putin!

Imagine if Roosevelt had said something about that Hitler fellow! Why who knows what the madman would have done then?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Spoggerific posted:

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1511292509619568640

:stare:

I've said this before, but this is something I'd call someone an idiot for if I saw them doing it in ArmA, let alone in a real-life war against an enemy with active air defenses.

I dont know why but my first thought on seeing the control was "can you run doom on it?"

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Only since they got rid of the Four Fingers of Death.

The only tragedy from that era of mre was them getting rid of the ham slice. Horrible meal but you could at least fold it over and gently caress it as a field expedient pussy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

I know nothing but I looked up what an artillery crew does and stumbled on this video and holy poo poo😳😳😳

https://youtu.be/CdO_0twP_CU

That huge guy handling the ramming rod single handed wtf even is that human.

Anyone can one man one hand ram a round, whats impressive is when you meet the fucker who can one man one hand bore punch a 155.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

zoux posted:

That gun is moving around a lot, they don't have to re-target after firing?

The gunner and a-gunner are doing that but you have to know what to look for. The guys checking vials on the left and right side of the cannon.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m a former infantry guy, and I never knew a whole hell of a lot about artillery aside from how to call for it (and even that’s really rusty).

I just looked up some videos of US and Canadian dudes firing off an M777 Howitzer (155mm), and that looks like a lot of moving parts that they cram into about 10-12 seconds before sending another round downrange. I know there are relentless drills and training involved, but it still looks like a ton of stuff is going on within a short window to get those rounds out of the barrel and on their way, let alone getting those rounds to where they’re supposed to be going.

They're called cannoneer drills and yes, you do them a lot as a crewman. Still have my gunners card around here somewhere. You're often competing within your own battery not just to be the first to fire the mission, but first to hit the target, as missing with a howitzer is very very bad.

Edit : A lot of the drilling is emplacing and displacing and the pintle weight of a 155 is a four man, or two really swole men lift.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 28, 2022

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Arrath posted:

That Russian kit looks like my lowest expense tarkov loadout.

I have better gear than the russian kit in my gun bag. Hell, I've got better gear than the russian kit in my desk. Because I own firearms, and have a cat. A very fluffy, sharp clawed cat. I'd rather treat cat scratches than have to use a CAT tourniquet. Fascinating how russian logistics are just hosed all the way down.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Lmao if you don’t think they sold half the shells for cheese from France

and replaced them with wooden ones painted metallic.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

But what does any of this have to do with cheese

So you know how the oldest and longest viking saga starts with the theft of a wheel of cheese? Its kinda like that.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

The X-man cometh posted:

In the US the airlines outsource that work to the TSA.

Working for the TSA inspired me to re-enlist. It was less frustrating that way.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Actually, there is a little give with the production of artillery shells. The steel case of the shell doesn't interface with the bore of the artillery tube. There's a forcing ring typically made of brass that actually contacts the rifling of the barrel. While there does need to be a good deal of precision, the most precisely machined part should be that ring, and brass is relatively forgiving when it comes to the hardness of the machine tools you need to manufacture it.

edit: Driving band, not forcing ring. Sorry.

Obturating band. Not to be confused with the ogive.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Anybody here been under artillery attack? I've heard it sucks exponentially more than mortar attacks, which I and many others here are familiar with. And this is what's being lobbed against both sides in this stupid war.
What is it like?
I imagine this question would mainly cover 2003 Iraq invasion vets.
edit: I've only experienced mortar attacks

I'm tired as poo poo and will need a reminder later. OIF 1 vet, first registered hit went to my battery. Been on both ends. It sucks and is why I hate the 4th of July or summer in any state that allows, note I say allows, not legalizes, fireworks. I'll get some actual sleep later.

Hope this helps answer the question that I can't seem to remember as I write as it's about 4:30 AM and I've been up for a while.

There is a certain feeling when you, or your #1 man pulls the lanyard, and I don't mean the freedom boner from shooting a big gun. I mean the pressure wave of the powder charge lighting as the tiny piece of superheated coat hanger wire like metal from the primer goes through all the bags and lights them off, throwing a minimum of 92.5 lbs of steel with 25lbs of comp B, TNT or RDX filler(bursting, HE) or other kinder eggs for assholes goodies in them (base ejecting, Illum, 88 bouncing betties, or 64 betties and 24 anti armor spikes, etc..etc...) to the other side.

After a while you feel that pressure wave when something that seems like it should be a lanyard pull happens. Its loving annoying and I loving hate it.

The Army thought I was crazy because I was in the Marines, and the Marines thought I was crazy because all Marines is crazy.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I haven't looked into anything Ukraine related in a while. Can someone give me a summary of the current situation?

HIMARS go brr.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If you're lucky...

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

get out of my head.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

I would have called it the Wabbit Group

If they don't have "What's Opera Doc?" patches they're doing it wrong.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Fearless posted:

Makes a lot of sense, really. They are quite large, and towing by the trail means that either you have to accept a deceptively long tow, or find a way to make either the gun itself or its trails pivot 180 degrees-- both of which could make packing up a lot slower and harder work for the gunners.

I am by no means an expert on M777s (or any artillery for that matter), but I would imagine that there is some kind of tampion or shroud for the muzzle to keep out dirt and debris while moving around too.

Or you have your advance party pull you in so that the barrel lines up with the direction of fire then drop it, like you do with a M198. Which the 777 replaced. If you can do a U turn or a right or left you can pull a trail towed howitzer into position and on the azimuth of lay.

A.o.D. posted:

It is, but panic doesn't make for good ballet. This is skill and practice on display.

They have obviously done their cannoneer drills. Could be a bit faster on getting the sights into their box and on the truck but AAR poo poo comes after ivan is dead.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 1, 2022

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

lightpole posted:

There are plenty of examples disproving this, child soldiers are the easiest one. Simple indoctrination and creating a group identity will easily push people into these decisions.

No simple dickhead lower enlisted created this and the Russian military doesn't allow them the capacity or individuality for them to. It is very possible they lack the ability to refuse those orders and are literally being thrown out like trash while anyone that does most likely hasn't left Russia.

"Just following orders" as they line people up in trenches to gun them down wasn't a defense in the 1940's and it isn't one now.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Cimber posted:

Why are we even giving this tool 2 brain cells? I'm not going to even bother trying to debunk his bullshit.

Just report him to twitter for being a Nazi and move on. It'll at least keep him off the German internet.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Comedy option: secret Ukrainian Orion Drive nuclear weapon that drops a conventional kinetic penetrator, and nothing else. Maybe a toilet.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Not sure, I actually thought it was a fuel air bomb originally.

:lol: He gets to be anime pillow Kim Philby for the rest of his life in Russia.

I’m just happy that many people are finally realizing him and Glenn Greenwald were in fact pieces of poo poo and not heroes of liberal democratic values.

I used to get shouted down, in this very forum, for suggesting he was a piece of poo poo, who acted like a piece of poo poo when he didn't get the cushy assignment he though he deserved. You know, like the congressional report on him said. He's just another Pollard who didn't get what he wanted instantly and then committed treason.

Hope he falls down some stairs.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Arc Light posted:

Ready to be impressed? You be the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cAn8OaF0m0

Anyway, I'm inclined to think the Russians have the better uniformed musical options.

If I had been forced to sit through this when I was at lemmonier I would have taken a road flare, lit it, and walked into the open fuel bladders.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Direct lay indirect fire for armor penetration

That would just be direct fire. Tracking... Set.... Tracking... Set... *pulls string*

the three types of direct fire are, direct fire, steel rain and ICM-in-the-wire.

I felt something pop typing that and I can taste copper and remember the smell, the taste of cannon fire...

Edit: fun fact, ICM In The Wire is when you load an ICM round, a base ejector with 88 bomblets, load your highest charge powder, set the timed fuze, point it straight up, fire and run. Its for when you're being overrun and requires a high degree of compotency to pull off. By which I mean any USMC and most US Army batteries could pull it off. I'm pretty sure if Russia tried they'd kill themselves trying to load the gun.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 18, 2022

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Sorry for being dense, the closest thing to tactical defense I've dealt with was using a tank or Stinger to defend a point in Battlefield games, which probably has exactly 0 real world translatable understanding

You're being too hard on yourself, using server funds for your own boat is exactly why the Russian military stinks on ice.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Mzuri posted:

I've fired a lot of live 120mm mortar rounds at max load (? the most powder rings for biggest range), and my sinuses were cleared very well every time. Can't tell you the physics of it though.

Overpressure from big guns is a bitch. If you fire too many high charge missions out of a 155 in one day or are in the area of echo you can have skin sloughing off by the end of the day. You will also have tinnitus and a headache that never goes away.

aphid_licker posted:

And your skull is a paper wasps nest filled with snot for most intents and purposes

that would explain the constant buzzing...

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

My Spirit Otter posted:

Ive never heard the skin sloughing off or the eternal headache part and ive fired too many rounds in a day on more than one occaission

That parts more the "area of echo" part. Do not stand in front of a howitzer as it fires.

PookBear posted:

I wonder if part of the consideration of the USMC switching to more rocket arty was health reasons.

Range and the amount of personnel required to operate, mostly.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

orange juche posted:

Remind me again why the gently caress the US continues to stick with imperial measurements when metric is objectively better in all ways, including providing a convenient socket in every tool set (10mm) to hurl across your garage into a dark corner to just go ahead and get it over with?

Big business bribing congress because retooling and measuring is expensive. Sorry, I mean lobbying.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Dang why bother with the heavily defended olympics? It’s pre-9/11, put the virus in a humidifier and leave it running near LAX departures.

That was the plot to a Splinter Cell game.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Out of interest, have you spent much time near firing artillery?

I have and gently caress Russia, they can go get hosed with a rusty pipe.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

papasyhotcakes posted:

I have been trying to track down an story someone was writing in some forums about an invasion of hell set in the the modern world. It featured at first the great legions of demons pouring through a portal and then getting their asses handed to them by the military and afterwards the invasion of hell by the humans when they realize they can actually win. Is this from that story?

Reminds me of the better bits of Argonian lore to come out after Oblivion. They not only fought off Mehrunes forces, they pushed back, invaded part of his plane and went "this is nice, I like it here" and built some settlements.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

I can’t believe the MIC might save us from Russian intervention.

The Vichy GOP sure as hell won't.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

What did the south lose?

The war.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the only principled way to combat 'War and Empire' is obviously to do nothing when empires do imperial wars. i mean the empire will collapse eventually so w/e amirite

If you are on the same side as noted fascist and neo nazi jimmy dore you should probably follow your leader.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

bees everywhere posted:

Good luck fitting an Igloo cooler full of rip its in there!

You guys had a cooler? Like, you didn't just rip them off the cardboard pallet and drink them at ambient temperature? The gently caress?

psydude posted:

I'm 6'5" and couldn't actually fit in an up-armored HMMWV with my Kevlar on - my head would wind up wedged to the side slightly. Couldn't imagine trying to squeeze into the back of a Bradley.

MRAP passenger seat was fine though.

At 6'3"then, now 6'2", MRAPS were fine, HMMWV's as a driver were a bit tight let alone as a passenger and MATV's I couldn't properly fit in with my gear on, or even out of it, drat thing would squish my knees and I had to turn my head to fit. I couldn't drive one for long without feeling panic it was so drat tight and I enjoyed the part of OIF where I was getting shot at.

Please if anyone here is in DOD acquisitions stop using the troop body size data from World War 1. We feed our people better now as a matter of national security, even though republicans have forgotten why, and we're taller on average than 5'6".

Steezo fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 21, 2023

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Tuna-Fish posted:

... The shells that are hard to make turn into a few tens of thousands of supersonic fragments when the HE charge in them goes off (hopefully) near the target. 155mm artillery doesn't have casings, which is what you are probably thinking of. Loading a gun consists of one guy tossing the shell in the breech, and then someone pushing bags of powder to follow it.

Three guys, two on the tray, one on the staff, staff pushes it off tray, one drops tray grabs staff helps rammer ram, second takes tray. #1 man puts powder in breech, closes breech affixes primer, shuts firing mech, attaches lanyard....

I'm going to stop here before I start mumbling misfire procedures in my sleep again.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Guess this is now my Ukraine go to thread, they closed the GBS on and I no longer frequent GBS. Veteran's benefits I guess.

There's a frontpage GBS?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

One of the few things that basically no one got right (including the people who otherwise nailed the pre-war predictions) was the Russian push through Chernobyl. That deception well and truly worked.

I mean, so far this decade has been marked by me going, "There's no way they're that loving stupid" followed by someone being at least that stupid.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 25, 2023

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Troops taking dustbaths in the red forest is obviously a different story

That and shelling a power plant are what I was referring to with the, "they can't be that stupid" bit. Digging trenches in the place there is buried radioactive sand from the cleanup.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Just :lol: at the idea of anti-artillery radar blown up by artillery.

YOU HAD ONE JOB. ONE. JOB.

As a former cannon crewman, hah. That is some lift and shift poo poo. Hope they make like the mission of Marine Artillery and restore cave dwelling as an acceptable way of life to the invaders.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

bees everywhere posted:

I always loved the way the rifle platoon field manual broke it down Barney-style in the first paragraphs by describing the difference between a problem and a dilemma. Problems can usually be solved, but a dilemma is when you can't solve one problem without running into or causing another one, and that's when the real destruction starts and that's why artillery is the "king of battle".

DPICM gives no fucks. Neither do ADAMS or RAAMS.

Dual Purpose Improved Conventional Munition (24 Anti Armor spikes, 64 bouncing betties) the other two are anti personell and anti tank mines as delivered by howitzer. Artillery has many doors ed boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Taerkar posted:

At that point it's also a numbers game. Danger close might kill you, but it's probably less likely than the attackers killing you, especially if you have cause to doubt your wellbeing as a prisoner of war.

There's also ways to minimize that especially if you have some creative people on the gunline and FDC. Steel rain comes to mind. As does the FPF (final protective front, think cyclic fire but with howitzers) if they're too close. ICM in the wire if the cannons are about the be overrun. This involves aiming straight up and running.