Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

The interview is interesting, I enjoyed it. However I did cringe a few times when the host went out of his way to kiss Carmack's rear end, insisting that he's a Super Mega Turbo Ultra Genius.

Carmack owns and yes I was very disappointed that he chose to work at loving Facebook. But it’s hard to deny he’s built different, a real big brain motherfucker.

Also he was on Joe Rogan

Living in Texas gets to you I suppose :cowboy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Also I remember that yes, Carmack knew he was smart, but every time he could, he bowed to Michael Abrash of the black book of graphics. So how smart was THAT dude

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dabir posted:

Carmack's also like a big time sociopath isn't he? Like he's not going out and actively doing anything wrong or anything right now but only cause he doesn't want to.

He’s a programmer, so yes

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Even from working lovely retail jobs, I learned that someone coming in as an outside hire to a manager or even supervisor position is usually going to be a disaster. Usually, the problem was arrogance and entitlement that they want to mold things to their ideal while making zero effort to learn the company culture, procedures, or internal politics.

This is on a far grander scale but that seems to actually intensify the effect. Elon bought the whole company for 44 billion and made seemingly no effort to learn how or why anything works. Truly intelligent people ask a lot of questions, listen, and have the ability to filter that information. Giving your employees ultimatums, publicly poo poo posting, making GBS threads on your employees, and demanding that they justify their jobs based on arbitrary metrics is a great way to tank the company fast and I'm actually impressed at how fast he's been able to do that.

Basic Startup Philosophy: Move Fast, Break Things!

Elon Startup Philosophy: Break Things Fast, Move!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

How is the Trump poll going? I want to see results but don't want to encourage this billionaire man child either way

If he does bring him back I'm shutting it all down. I left Facebook like *that*. Twitter is not even close

Sucks for all those govt and corpos that made Twitter their first line of customer communications for emergencies and such

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

57/43 Y/N, the yeses have lost a little bit but not too much.

Danke, Captain! :cheersdoge:

Democracy wins again! :sigh:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

heavy liquid posted:

Doesn't matter, this is just performative. He'll bring him back regardless, even if the Twitter bot army and trolls don't win the vote, which they absolutely will.

I understand he's probably already decided, I just don't want to give him even a single extra vote to validate his existence :v:

I would've probably voted yes just to kill the site faster, but he's doing a great job on his own

Total Party Kill posted:

Brb Watching a movie in two minute increments

hope you're doing it on a mobile phone, just like the authors intended :pray:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When Twitter falls, it's gone and potentially never coming back. Anyone who knows what's broken and why left or was fired, and the people that crunch for Musk probably aren't gonna stick around for long either. Last one out won't need to switch off the lights, the power will short out on its own.

these here forums chugged along for years with only the combined might of Lowtax and Radium code

even moot managed to run 4chan

Are you telling me, experienced forums user Comfy, that Elon is a worse webmin than these giants of the early internet?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Imagine being 50 and wanting to be hardcore

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I really don't expect it to, but god drat I want it to. I really loving do. Just, once have some follow-through universe. Don't let some scrambling dickheads at the bottom save the incompetent Captain. I've seen it so, so many times.

Same, but tbh Twitter is not some magical tech impossible to replicate, and their systems seem pretty resilient considering 90% of workers already left. Like, yeah, it might be slower at times, but it looks to be working fine. Better than in the whale days.

Not bad for a company with no loving payroll dept. props to infrastructure engis

And sure, yeah, someone mentioned it’s a pretty complex system, but it’s not even slow today. Maybe some vids take a little longer to load. The fired Twit-gineers were predicting boxes on fire by now.

Twitter is/was valuable because of the celeb users, and ease of posting without too much racism and prejudice. If that goes, then yes Twitter is dead. So far only a couple celebs seem to even know what’s happening.

However… the racism and antivaxxers are out in force, and I’ve stopped posting and won’t go back, but I’m looking at the train crash with mixed feelings. I love watching Elon fumble.

And… Hey, even tumblr came back! (tumblr is great now imo)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

To the country that just lost the right to abortion: why not fixed?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

kazil posted:

Introducing Twitter Black, with the ability to upload longer copywrited videos
Stop forcing the woke agenda upon us! :bahgawd: Elon, help!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mastodon't

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mathemortician posted:

Welp, this whole thing just stopped being funny.

If you have not deleted your twit acct, or at least stopped using it and moved to tumblr or wherever, I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m done with this idiot, I knew he was bringing trunpo back. I’m just waiting for the inevitable crash, but it looks like it will take much longer than expected.
I don’t know how people will continue using Elon’s trash site hanging with racists and antivaxxers. Enjoy your social network you pieces of trash still trying to make a buck off twitter.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Twitter? More like Shitter!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Frank Frank posted:

It’ll be like MySpace. Twitter will exist until someone offers a more attractive alternative. I don’t think Mastodon is the answer without a massive redesign but you’d be crazy to think that there aren’t a ton of people out there right now trying to figure out what the next big thing will be.

What are the chances the ex twitter employees band together and roll their own?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I think it's a little bit of both. He wants chuds to flock to his website, but he also wants Trump to know he wouldn't have gotten his Twitter back were it not for him. The insanely wealthy get off on power trips like that.

Every human has power trips *glancing sideways at mods*

Tei posted:

Sic transit gloria mundi

While we are at this, go and play Obsidian "Pertiment". Rather good point and click adventure set in medieval world, cool "The Name of The Rose" vibes. Lots of latin!

Super +1 to this - Pentiment is loving weird and awesome (games thread called it Fresco Elysium :v: )

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 21, 2022

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF2Mf6HxIi0

This popped up in my YouTubes and I remembered - what’s up with his weird body movement, is that the autism

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://post.news/

Another site looking to replace dead gay twitter

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Twitter still works somehow. Musk must truly be a genius

Yeah everyone edging about the World Cup breaking the twits forever has disappointed me greatly. Please line up and be ready to be whipped

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

It worked when Musk’s brand was “real life Tony Stark.” But there’s only so long you can fart in public before everyone starts to notice.

He's well past farting. His diarrhea is flowing down his pants leg, but he's trying to act normal. Actually he's totally laughing about it 🤣. Everyone's leaving and he's all "Oh, can't take a little diarrhea? snowflakes 🤣"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mindless posted:

This is hosed. Anyone with enough money can now decide what free speech means. Modern media is so much more wide reaching and efficient than anything else before it. "The Internet makes you Stupid," is not a joke. Eat poo poo, Elon Musk.
Have you ever heard of a man named Rupert Murdoch

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Elon sucks so bad, and those replies are even worse than he is lol

Edit: did anyone follow the Apple twitter? It’s empty right now. Did they delete their tweets? Or is this an Apple thing where they only tweet when they’re having an event

https://twitter.com/apple

If Apple deletes twitter from the App Store…

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 23, 2022

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Who is this Meg Murphy person? Joe Rogan is celebrating her return to twitter, so I assume she sucks rear end

https://twitter.com/MeghanEMurphy/status/1594536650557751297

Edit:

javi posted:

The rumour going around is that if Twitter can’t get their moderation in place, they will be kicked out of the App Store. Apple, and a few executives have closed their accounts or cleaned them.

That would honestly make my day. Good on Apple for not supporting Elon’s trash website

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 23, 2022

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Enigma89 posted:

So I guess Twitter is not going to fall apart under its own weight? :ohdear:

Tbh if anything it’s faster than it used to be, for me. Tweets load fast and video seems to play more reliably. Shame about the content

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It helps to remember that when the 40k setting began in the late 1980s, it was depicted as being just as lovely and grimdark as the original Warhammer Fantasy setting (namely a setting where everything was hosed up, and there wasn't really any "good" side, as they were all just different types of evil and oppressive), made by guys who thoroughly loathed Thatcher's Britain and were more than happy to satirize aspects of it with 40k.

Then, sometime in the late 1990s/early 2000s, and after some changes in management, the focus was shifted towards pushing their best-selling range, which just happened to be the Space Marine stuff, so for a good long while until just very recently--largely due to some more management changes--the evil and oppressive aspects of the Imperium were dialed back (in the "at least the trains run on time" manner that you mentioned) as the narrative began pushing "the Imperium is the last best hope for mankind and the galaxy" lore a lot harder. So it's no shock that we ended up with a lot of alt-right types being attracted to the game for those reasons (and why they're whining now that GW is starting to ratchet down the "The Imperium is a force for good, actually" perspective and upping diversity in having models that are designed/painted as POC and/or women, and not just big muscular white dudes).

(Source: being an old fart that was around for the first edition of WH40k :corsair:)

A friend got really into WH40k recently, reading the books and all, and I'm a bit worried, ngl

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You do what you want, Elon. You're a big boy now :allears:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

RIP skeleton war memes
2013-2022
Retweeted by Elon Musk

Mozi posted:

yea same, hopefully either everyone else i followed move over to mastadon or coalesce somewhere else

We have a good forum at home!

(it’s Something Awful)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dewgy posted:

Is geohot the iPhone hacker who got hired by Apple and then lost the job by forgetting to reply to a “your contract’s up, please let us know if you want to keep working here” email? Or am I getting my nerds with fifteen minutes of fame mixed up.

Yes to how he got hired by Apple, didn’t know about why he left, lol if true

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Elon Mask off

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The Chad reporter vs the Virgin Twitter Owner

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Steadiman posted:

I hate Elon Musk, and all his simps, so much. And I hate that I have to hate people :(

https://twitter.com/Iuuk96/status/1595684542467170304

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

Even if you take a really charitable interpretation of Augustus, you end up with a dictator who shattered everything around him in order to take absolute personal control, and then spent the rest of his life rubbing the pieces together wondering why they wouldn't start working again.

So what I'm saying is sorry Zuck but master entrepreneur Elon Musk is way ahead of you

wait what, are we talking about Octavian or some different Augustus? I don't know much about history but I read a book about him and it's basically 300 pages of giving him a handbeezy for being the best leader ever who managed to keep together a crumbling Rome and conquered lots of territory and created Pax romana and had a cool wife

This is the book
https://www.academia.edu/76808120/Augustus_the_life_of_Romes_first_emperor

fake edit: I've forgot most of the book but Wikipedia seems to agree this dude owned. I mean I guess he betrayed his triumvirate bros(mostly because Antony was not as politically savvy), but they were all dictators in that era anyway
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus

Zuckerberg sucks but that's not a bad dude to look up imo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Hmm yes, I’ve pinpointed who broke culture in the 2010s: Project Managers :hmmyes:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Crymetimeboys posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1596083744728928257?s=46&t=nQJBcVqkLudmyzj-Y9pyKg

Elon's lack of conventional directional sense must be why Teslas are so accident-prone.

The CEO of twitter earnestly posting very neutrally about the WOKE MIND VIRUS, just in case anyone still using Twitter has no clue what’s his ideology (NEUTRAL 100% balanced ofc)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Tai posted:

Buddy, if you are calling yourself an '''Alpha''', you can be sure as poo poo you aren't one.

Elon is a high level engineer tho. He means alpha in the software sense. incomplete, buggy, fighting the woke mind virus (no antivirus installed)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I miss RSS feeds. They only died because of Twitter, and now we need them back.

Bring back Google Reader too.

RSS feeds live! Most blogs still use them, and most news site too. For apps my favorites are feedly + Reeder on iOS, but there’s a ton of worthy apps for your RSS reading pleasure! I love Reeder, open the app and you get a giant feed of the sites you subscribe, or you can go in and check headlines per-website subscription.

Twitter dying is great for RSS! There’s dozens of us!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Lol at Google reader tho. Don’t trust Google services

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Who is Andy Ngo? Did he get really get punched by Antifa? What’s his deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013