Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Gaius Marius posted:

Even if you don't actually care about what you're arguing about it's important to pick a side and then be willing to die defending it no matter how untenable your position.

yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Jay Rust posted:

:siren: warning: this turns into an unfocused e/n post :siren:

FFXIV is such a weird thing to me right now. I like it but I want to like it more. Idk if it’s the jrpg part or the mmo part, maybe both, but regardless the game has me teetering more and more towards “this is not the game for me”, sometimes even dipping into “this is not a good game, objectively (yes I have the power to rate things objectively)” at times. And yet I’m undoubtedly still having fun, like actual fun. Confusing

There’s a seasonal event happening in the game atm, and it comes with a tiny short story about a catboy learning that fake self-confidence is unattractive, and at the end, after I thought about it, I just went, “this is so bad, it’s so stupid”. Then I thought about the cinematic:gameplay ratio once again, and I thought about how across all of the quest storylines and characters I’ve encountered thus far in like 200 hours, they rarely ever make me feel an emotion, while the game thinks they should. They could all die in the next main quest cutscene and at most that would earn a “ooh I wonder what’s gonna happen next” from me

Yes I definitely need a break. I’ll have to compete with the FOMO mmos are built around (fommos, we call them) but I’ll manage

Video games

follow you r heart and stop playing. your impulse is correct. the further u get the goalpost of when the game gets "good" will only be placed fruther and further away to goad you into wasting so much time you feel obligated to the game. free yourself. i believe in you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Harrow posted:

Alphinaud, Estinien, and Ysale

warning: if you look up these names you may be confused that the images are identical, however they are different npcs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

cheetah7071 posted:

Currently playing and loving a game with an even bigger words:gameplay ratio

youve misunderstood. the words have to be interesting.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

cheetah7071 posted:

You can marry in skyrim but not in elden ring

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

stev posted:

I had no idea P3 and P4 released so close together. How are we still on P5 15 years later (other than the obvious reasons)?

atlus took the entire ps3 generation to make a new engine. we got smtv last year and soul hackers 2 this year tho cos they finally moved to ue4 instead.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
somebody setup us the bomb :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

WaltherFeng posted:

Just got a confirmation from the retailer that my PS5 has been shipped.

Now I can continue playing Elden Ring in 60 fps.

i have some bad news regarding the ps5 and its abiolity to run games lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In the early 2000s, there were usually several large AA/AAA game releases every single month, with some months-long stretches having multiple per week. There was always something exciting coming out from a medium-to-large team (for the era) in almost every genre.

Nowadays, there are more new game releases than ever, but even if you take away the asset flip garbage, most of what's left are indie games. And there's lots of cool stuff coming out all the time from indie devs, but they seem more targeted to very specific audiences and not really the kinds of games that generate widespread hype. The number of "AA/AAA" game releases have slowed to a crawl. That's the price you pay when every AAA game has to be a sprawling epic made by a thousand people now I guess.

nah we still get tons, also most of the ones in the 2000s were trash.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Gripweed posted:

A couple days ago I looked through all the upcoming games for the PS5, and I was shocked at how thin the pickings were.

i would recommend looking at good platforms instead like switch and pc. sony giving up on doing anything isnt the whole intdustry.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Gripweed posted:

More than just Sony make PlayStation games. Ideally, at least.

yeah and theyre all on switch and pc. us normal people are currently rushing to beat xbc3 before soul hackers 2 comes out, so we can clear out plates for darktide and pokemon scarvi. ppl who foolishly bought a ps 5 are not deserving of games or frankly basic human rights.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

stev posted:

I got a PS5 a month or two ago and I'm already using it ten times more than my PC for gaming and 100 times more than my Switch (which hasn't been turned on since Metroid Dread).

The new PS+ library is a godsend for the console. I've got months worth of cool fun games to keep me going until God of War and the TLOU remake. And the two games I'm most hype for right now (FF16 and 7R2) will be PS5 exclusive for at least a year or two.

god of war and tlou are pc games and the second one is the second remake in two generations. can only concludie your first statement stems from a n incredible lack of taste in games .

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
dunkey is correct about xb2

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
i forogt if you tried to play a switch or pc game on a couch the entire room becomes engfuled in flames. good point op.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

stev posted:

Ok I'm sorry I'll stop enjoying my PS5 and will go back to replaying the Switch and PC games that I've already played.

youre welcome

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

VideoGames posted:

Been enjoying so many games on my ps5 like atelier ayesha, bloodstained, blasphemous and tlou multiplayer that I have been calling it the psFUN.

ps5 owner name a ps5 title challenge (impossible)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Looper posted:

no they didn't and if I'm being honest i don't know where that abbreviation came from

apparently it was a code name for the system? sony can't even come up with cool code names

sony america though it sounded cool. thahts it lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
now name one anyone on the planet cares about

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Zinkraptor posted:

Playstations are actually very useful when the PC port of a game has a lot of crashes or other major issues. All the time, in other words.

its actuaully more often the opposite now of days lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
ps5 is comparable to a mid range pc from 3 years ago at this point. already lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

I said come in! posted:

The PS5 enhanced games have been on par with the ultra settings of their PC ports, so it's a non-issue still. The Switch is on hardware from 2015 and no one cares about that.

ones $500 and the size of a house op. also has not been on par at all. further to this it has no games. conclusion: the consol eis fail.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Khanstant posted:

kill gun shooting games. we get it already. we've all seen it, done it, there's nothing new left to do with guns.

acting like pubg and tarkov werent recent games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

when's the last time there was a big hyped AAA fps, op. I guess Halo?

uh that would be the two very recent doom games op

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Like I wouldn't say FPS is a dead genre but it's not the prestige genre of showing off graphics anymore. that got shifted to third person cinematic action games

find benchmark suite that doesnt include doom eternal challenge

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

SeXReX posted:

Chun LI using a lightsaber and riding nimbus rules so hard I feel bad for people who look at that awesome combination of cool things and go "this sucks, actually"

i love Brand!!! i recognise Brand!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
yall im over here having a nerdgasm watching iron man pog and drink blue milk with capt crunch... im thinking this is the most epic win ive ever seen... mayhaps next they add a bacon narwahl?? :D

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
xb3 is so good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Gaius Marius posted:

The art style is a disastrous failure

yup

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
exactly

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

it is but smt has a v particular look..

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
would like to thank everyone who made this happen

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

verbal enema posted:

today im going to try to get CUTTHROATS TERROR ON THE HIGH SEAS to work on my computer for the 100th time

https://pcem-emulator.co.uk/

this works better than trying to get old stuff running in win 10 or a vm as long as its win 98 or earlier

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Waffleman_ posted:

This might be the solution to a game I've been having trouble running right for a few years now.

it works a lot better in my experience for anything that just hates VMs. it is actual emulation tho so u do need to do stuff like, get the drivers for the video card you pick to emulate and pack them into an iso to load as a "cd". but it doesnt cause the weirdness vms do where games freak out at the resolution and nonstandard for the time gpu. lets u run a normal res for the era and cleanly scale it up as well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

instead of playing an MMO you should play a good game instead

this, except oldschool runescape is good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Propaganda Hour posted:

Sounds pretty cozy to me. Why are you such a rush to collect bear asses?

op if ur going to put reams of cutscenes and text in a game it better be engaging and not 95% padding.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

cheetah7071 posted:

i have good news about ffxiv then

theres like 500 ancillary quests where nothing interesting happens and they still have the weird robot cutscenes where everyone does mmo emotes at each other for 10 minutes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
i like slow games i dont like filler

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Vermain posted:

i love filler if it's cutely framed or provides an element of worldbuilding or characterization

thats not filler, thats just side content. ff14 is full of lots of filler

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Jay Rust posted:

I liked the scene where adult Noodle and friends cover their faces and then take out their dicks so that a woman acquaintance can play a fun round of "try to guess which one of them sexually assaulted her years ago"

wuh

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
this is why reading books is for chumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a movie

so