Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Deathloop is fun, there's just not a lot of meat on the bones.

Yup. One of those games where you play for like 5 hours or so and you've pretty much seen all the game has to offer.

I haven't played a CoD for many years so I went ahead and preordered the new one. The campaign seems to have an identity crisis, instead of just leaning into the shootman power fantasy there's a whole lot of super tedious stuff like driving through the world's longest military convoy for what feels like hours and creeping around helpless crafting ad hoc tools out of duct tape and poo poo like some weird Last of Us tribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

I've got too much pride just to fast travel out and go somewhere else.

One of the best aspects of the game is that you can just go somewhere else. I had a similar reaction my first visit to Stormveil. I just went out and explored and did stuff, the world is huge. I came back probably 10ish game hours later and the place was much more manageable.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Ragnarok is ... ok. I'm just not blown away or anything. I guess this is what Forbidden West detractors said about More Of The Same. I liked that game's combat better and it's world was more fun to explore. I'm in the elf zone where the puzzles are throwing your axe to reflect off those purple ores and I'm already tired of so many puzzles, they are just tedious and stop the flow of the game. People complain about the kid or head telling you what to do but I'm all for it, if I have to stop and look around and go 'wut do i do" for more than two minutes I'm already on the way to irritation.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Just got done with the second time you control Atreus and I really prefer his combat style, just feels more streamlined and intuitive.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I'm not exactly sure why but GOW2 isn't really gripping me.

I had this initial reaction and thought maybe I just needed to spend more time with it, but I'm approaching the end now and still feel entirely "meh" about the whole experience. At this point all I feel about it is an obligation to finish so I can delete it from my drive.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Bethesda games are cozy gaming for me. You know exactly what you’re going to get and that’s nice.

Yeah. I spent many hours in Fallout 76 and it's definitely comfort gaming for me. Just explore a huge, weird atmospheric world, gather stuff and gear and level up, shoot weird monsters, build your own custom base. It's good.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 29, 2022

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

goblin week posted:

Not to forget: it is 600$

Yeah and I think a lot of owners of the original psvr realized it just ended up in a corner somewhere collecting dust once the novelty wore off.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

Surprisingly cool game! I gave up after all the backtracking, wondering if they ever patched that…

I lost interest after only a couple hours, felt like I was doing way more running from place to place than actual shooting.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Cowman posted:

EDF5 fuckin rules everybody should play it

Indeed but where the hell is EDF6? I want the power of the PS5 to enable even more giant spiders and alien frogmen.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

Welp forget everything nice I said about Fallout 76. I just got to the portion of the game where the game economy showed itself and you clearly need to buy a sub or be miserable.

Logged on to find my potato farm barren and my wells dry. Had to google to find out that other people can loot stuff in your world and the only way to prevent that is to play by yourself for 12.99 a month.

As a counterpoint I put way too many hours into '76 and never once felt like I needed a sub. Other players can't loot your stash box which is really all that matters.

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 16, 2023

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well most of what was shown was poop I have zero interest in. Suicide Squad ... meh I dunno, I'm kind of a sucker for this style of game even though it doesn't look great.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Arist posted:

The point is to make you feel desperate.

Succeeded, and I'm like, gently caress this game. I don't want to feel desperate. Anyway I might give it another shot at some point approaching it with the right mindset.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

YorexTheMad posted:

I don't know if I could ever go back to the WoW-style one class per character.

I prefer it, because I like rolling alts, which is kinda pointless with FFXIV's job system. However it does fit with the game's more story-driven structure, I really wouldn't want to go through all the story bits again on an alt in that game.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Final Fantasy looks cool and all but that combat is so visually busy I feel like even a short session would wear my brain out.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

blue squares posted:

loving machines in Horizon are so tanky

Which is fine and good, because it's so satisfying breaking their parts off, you wouldn't want them dying too quick.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Kind of an overstuffed underwhelming show, but some cool stuff. Marathon, yeah I'm all in. DD2 and Alan Wake 2, I'm looking forward to. Helldivers 2 looks like it could be fun. Not much else? That magic fps looks kinda cool. Spider Man 2, meh, that footage shown did nothing to excite me.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I never played the one where he eats snakes so this is one remake I am interested in.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think vvv said this but it’s nice playing a game that is linear in the way of MOVE FORWARD FIGHTING THINGS TO THE NEXT COOL CUTSCENE without having to make a million decisions, find your way if you get lost, worry about builds blah blah blah. You can just boot up FF16 and make meaningful progress and it rules.

Yeah, part of my gamer brain wants to complain about how streamlined it all is, but honestly it's working for me and it's fun, so shut up gamer brain.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Man Everspace 2 is slick. If you like space combat married with rpg systems this seems like a no brainer, definitely hitting all the right buttons for me.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Not a rogue lite or like thankfully imo. I guess as open a world as a space game can reasonably be, you travel between locations, a quick loading screen between, so far each area seems reasonably large with opportunities to explore a bit, or youll come across unknown locations for side missions or just looting & seeing whats there.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

FlimFlam Imam posted:

I just got Everspace 2 yesterday and it's awesome. If you're disappointed in Diablo IV and want to scratch that loot itch, this is the game to buy.

Yeah I'm about 8 hours in and the game has really exceeded my expectations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I liked 2018 quite a bit. Not an all timer for me, but I still thought it was mostly great. I didn't hate Ragnarok, but I rarely found myself having a great time. It's a very competent game in a lot of ways, but I just did not like the story at all and the way the world and quests were designed was grating to me. It just felt tedious a lot of the time. I don't regret playing it but I'll most likely never play it again.

Pretty much exactly how I felt. The story just didn't engage me as much as 2018, it had small annoyances that kind of added up, but at the end of the day it was still an ok way to pass the time.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Arist posted:

This is a fascinating article

Yeah it is interesting. There really is a vast audience of sports fans that are into gaming almost exclusively for their yearly Madden or whatever. I had a friend that morphed into one, back in the day we'd play all kinds of games, over the years he gradually just turned into Football Guy and only got excited for those games.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Radio Games Forum posted:

I still do not feel anything.

Eh, you're not the only one. Just doesn't excite me even though from all accounts it's a good game. The bland, gray industrial aesthetic is offputting imo.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The hype around Starfield has gotten fairly comical for what will probably be a 7/10 game once the dust settles. For spaceship combat I would be shocked if it offers a fraction of the complexity and customization of Everspace 2, and as far as party interaction and player choice BG3 is going to be tough to beat from everything Ive heard.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I do tend to enjoy my Bethesda RPGs. It's a big ol world to explore, lots of stuff to do and RPG mechanics to play with. They're just a little bland -- I never get the feeling that there's any sort of interesting creative vision behind them, or at least one that didn't have any unique voice removed by corporate committee.

Bland is right. I mean I spent a couple hundred hours in Fallout 76 but everything Ive seen of Starfield is just a big meh, looks ok but no real aesthetic style or hook to capture the imagination. Id be happy to be proven wrong and finally have a reason to buy an Xbox but I just dont see it. The next actual Elder Scrolls hell yeah Im all in but this im just not feeling any fomo.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

So it's like, less than two bucks a month extra over a year. Sorry its gonna take a lot more than that to rustle these jimmmies.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Im really trying to enjoy BG3 but after like 5 hours I dunno, its like for every cool thing in the game there are two tedious or annoying things. Course Im sticking with it but itsnot making a great first impression.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

as someone with little experience in crpg's the constant failed dice rolls leading to grueling combat encounters riddled with more failed dice rolls are driving me insane. just getting kicked in the dick every ten steps

Yeah I hear that. I feel like Im constantly getting into situations where I dont quite know what to do. Quest objectives can be vague. I feel like I have to save all the time lest I turn a corner and stumble into some long ordeal I never asked for. Or is this some ordeal thats necessary? Hard to tell. Combat is not really 'fun' more like a thank god I survived that feeling. And the button to access the main menu is friggin R2. Weird poo poo to adapt to.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Also lets add these practically invisible dumbass vines on the ground whose only purpose is to annoy.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The world feels like a struggle to navigate and the map looks like vomit. I guess most of my complaints boil down to nothing feeling intuitive, just a lot more cognitive load than I necessarily want out of a vidjagame.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Good advice, definitely still in the learning stage and Im an impatient pupil, but I'm in for the long haul.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Just now, battle start, all of my characters miss. Try something else. Nope that dont work, "too many hit points". Its easy to get discouraged.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Picked up Jedi Survivor on sale and Im about 6 hrs in, once you get past the fairly generic intro the game is a lot of fun, enjoying exploring Koboh, feels like everything is much improved from the first game.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

negativeneil posted:

The back half of the game drags really badly and the plot loses steam.

Yeah, I haven't played in a couple weeks and I'm afraid it is destined to be one of those games I drift away from and never finish.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I've gone the digital route almost exclusively the last couple years out of sheer laziness, I'm playing like 5 different games right now, I don't want to get up and swap discs every time.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

It sucks but I’m going to be patient and wait on Spider-Man 2.

Same, with Alan Wake 2 around the corner, still working on Jedi Survivor, Cyberpunk expansion, and BG3 I just don't have the time. Gonna hope for a sale before xmas and play during my vacation time then.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

FF14’s story is not interesting enough to warrant the hundreds of hours it takes to go through it. I got about 80% of the way through heavensward, realized it had taken me like 100 hrs to get to that point and went on to better things

About the same as me. The game is somehow both a mediocre single player experience and a mediocre MMO all at once by trying to do both.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Finished up AW2 and overall really enjoyed it, easily in my top 5 games this year. It did have its frustrating moments though, some combat encounters I had to retry multiple times. A few head-scratcher moments of "where do I go/what do I do next" as Alan. The weird graphical shimmering/ight on certain surfaces was distracting at times. But overall just a really fun weird ride, looking forward to the DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I hadn't watched a Yahtzee video in years then somehow stumbled onto a review of a new game and was surprised he was still doing his old schtick. I guess I still have a soft spot for it from old times. And it did lead me to Cold Take videos, which I quite enjoyed.