Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
What are the chances that this whole thing is a false flag? Russia pays Prigozhin to stage an insurrection with his disposable army and lets them take a bit of territory, shoot down a helicopter or two, and maybe commit some atrocities here and there, and then stomps them flat. Putin gets a great military victory to bleat about on state TV, plus a justification for tightening domestic security and cracking down on dissent even harder, maybe even declaring martial law and initiating an expanded military mobilisation to "protect the homeland" or whatnot. It might also help ferret out any actual disloyal elements in the government and military. And then once the Russian intelligence agencies release their shocking findings that Kyiv masterminded the whole insurrection and paid Prigozhin to invade the motherland, it provides new justification and increased public support for the "special military operation".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

ROJO posted:

Is it odd to anyone else that only a single floor of windows appears blown out? I would expect an external drone strike of the size shown in the video to affect multiple floors and be more centralized vs. strung out laterally.

Makes sense if the drone penetrated the building before going boom instead of exploding outside of it. The internal floors would have kept the blast largely contained to the floor it entered.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mobby_6kl posted:

:lol:

Russian stewed beef, allegedly:
https://i.imgur.com/pRmJUPw.mp4

It's just the latest dining trend; homeopathic food! :dumb:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

beer_war posted:

It's not real

Fake news; I don't see anything about the 177 lunar rovers, 22 Apollo Lunar Modules, 16 American flags, 39 golf balls, and 352 Selenites that were destroyed in just the first day of Russia's Special Lunar Operation!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

After we plow though the 50’s junk where do we go? Are we going to get to like WW1 era kitbash stuff? Was Russia in WW1 long enough to get to the tank parts?

Russian tank crew training material, circa early 2024 CE (colourised)...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Budzilla posted:

This is the video I based my comment on. The screenshot makes it the trees look weird, like a computer game that uses intersecting textures to create an illusion of filled out canopy. Video is also undated and has a weird uncanny valley vibe to it. As much as I like to lol at Russia and stan for Ukraine I wouldn't take anything away from that video.

I think that video just being some random video of some random person driving an old T-10 off a trailer that has nothing at all to do with current events is a lot more likely than the whole thing being some sort of CGI fake.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1695779815515664720
POCCNR is winning so hard guys, so hard they had 4 CAS aircraft and a Mig fried on the ground, along with radar and AD systems.

So you're saying that Russian air defence systems and aircraft successfully destroyed all of the Ukrainian drones, then? :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Jimlit posted:

Is war thunder even a sim like that? Every video I see makes it just look like an arcade deathmatch kinda game.

It has a few different modes with varying levels of "realism", but the "Sim" mode is really just "you don't have infinite ammo or a magical target-tracking HUD, and if you do stupid shite then your wings will fall off"; it's not some sort of DCS thing where you have to click two hundred cockpit buttons and switches in exactly the correct order to prepare for take-off or else your plane will break and/or explode.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

zone posted:

No joke, I saw a post on telegram only two months ago where they were complaining about exactly that. The same cope post had attached instruction on how to make ERA bricks at home and an appeal to all "patriots" to get to work at once. Then one month later Murz almost got arrested for complaining that, again, they still hadn't enough ERA bricks to attach to tanks. He was subjected to an interrogation by some major from a nearby military base, he just made fun of him and left.

Sure, encouraging random Russians to make homemade explosives can't possibly go wrong...

On the subject of the tyres, it's not necessarily the worst idea in theory if the drones in question are like the one in that demo video they released which basically just vomits a shower of high-speed metal fragments at the target from above; put enough rubber between that and the target and it might slow them down enough to reduce the damage. The way they have the tyres arranged leaves a lot of gaps for shrapnel to still turn the plane into Swiss cheese, though, and if something does start burning, then you've just got a giant tyre fire on top of everything else, so...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
For some reason some people keep thinking real-world geopolitics work like some sort of 4X video game and are baffled when NATO doesn't go all Ghandi and launch the nukes because one random Russian drone crashed one pixel over the border of a NATO country.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

steinrokkan posted:

"To scare off the ships!"
"How is bombing an island going to do that?"
"Well we can't let them know that we aren't able to hit a ship, but if we get lucky, we may actually score a hit on an island from time to time... which is kinda like a ship if you think about it"

Well, you see, Snake Island rests on the bottom of the Black Sea, just like the Moskva, so I can see why the Russians would be confused... :hmmyes:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

rowkey bilbao posted:

Is it Poland going "don't even think about it you dipshits" or is there something more complicated going on ?

They're just going full BGH n00b turtle while they tech up to BCs.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

kemikalkadet posted:

Yeah the holiday snaps are funny but don’t really reveal any top secret info. There are publicly available satellite images that update every 2 days that easily show the position of AA installations, let alone the secret mil satellites that will give much better pictures. There’s almost certainly a ton of intelligence guys poring over and tracking that stuff daily.

Sure, but it's much more difficult to arrest a satellite and force it to give a videotaped confession/apology to air on state TV.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Rust Martialis posted:

I think you confused the Baltic and Black Sea fleets?

They did transfer some landing craft from the Baltic Fleet (and the Northern Fleet) to the Black Sea Fleet, but that was back around the start of the war. This recent movement doesn't involve more ships being transferred to the Black Sea fleet, though; it's the Russians trying to hide those ships that are already there from Ukraine's sea drones so they don't get blown the gently caress up and sunk.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

gay picnic defence posted:

Honestly I kinda doubt some of these numbers and allegations of high profile kills simply because there hasn’t been the mother of all diaper-bursting, pants filling missile tantrums thrown at Ukraine like every other time Russia gets owned.

They went a bit hog-wild on Odessa last night, though that pales in comparison to their usual country-wide tantrums. They might genuinely not have enough of a supply of missiles and drones left to blow them all on pointless revenge strikes, though; if they do still have the ordinance then they're probably saving it to do more attacks on utility infrastructure come wintertime.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Toxic Mental posted:

Frustratingly low water level in the bowl

Looks normal for a European toilet. I think it's only American toilet bowls that are always three-quarters full of water.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mllaneza posted:

Reporting From Ukraine has a lot of imagery on this assault. My summary? WHAT THE gently caress RUSSIA? WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress ARE YOU DOING? General Haig is looking up from Hell shaking his head. GO THE gently caress AROUND. DO NOT ASSAULT THAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_CNhVFeQdk

"It was not war, it was murder."

What the gently caress indeed. I'm pretty sure "don't charge headlong towards a giant fortress-shaped pile of earth full of enemies with ranged weapons who are all trying to kill you" has been the number one rule of warfare since humans first worked out how to dig trenches and throw pointy sticks at each other.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1715399392029549029#m
And other stories Russians cry themselves to sleep with every night.

It sounds plausible to me. The practice of counting their own vehicle losses as "vehicles destroyed" is admittedly a little unorthodox, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to get those numbers up for Monke, right? :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yle.fi posted:
As far as I know, he is a Russian citizen, so we must be allowed to get information on his arrest through our embassy, Peskov said.

Dear Russian Embassy,

He was arrested. For doing crime. This is a thing that happens in countries that aren't actually just gas stations run by the mob. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

France

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

The_Franz posted:

or early versions of DOOM:

(It was removed in later versions.)

or Zelda:

Nah, Nazis used the right-facing swastika, not the left-facing one, even if they did completely ruin both of them for everyone else forevermore.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Tiny Timbs posted:

the fish brick distribution network has been eliminated

"Hello, Russian citizens! We mysteriously have no record of any of you having ever paid taxes, so you can pay twenty years of taxes right now, or you can volunteer for military service instead, or we can arrest you, convict you, and send you to prison where you will be assigned to a 'work detail' in the northern regions of one of our glorious new territories..."

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

bunnyofdoom posted:

Question. If a missile passes over Poland again, but this time Polish AA shoots it down, would that trigger war?

Russia's not going to actually start a direct conflict with a NATO country over an occasional downed cruise missile or drone, so no.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
"I know; if we start saying that all of our vehicles, aircraft, and ships are full of Ukrainian POWs, then Ukraine will *have* to stop blowing them up!" :hmmyes: --Russia, probably.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

The_Franz posted:

I doubt he is doing what he is doing with the intent of actively aiding Russia, as that is giving him too much credit. He is driven by petty revenge, plain and simple.

At this point, he's no different from every other narcissistic rear end in a top hat who feels personally wronged by the system, but he could potentially be back in a position to do some real damage to it.

I really don't think Trump is thinking about Ukraine at all in this case; he's just pissed that the current government might actually pass legislation that addresses the immigration bugaboo that's a significant component of his campaign, and then Biden will get the credit for "fixing" it instead of him. And unfortunately even though he's only a potential presidential candidate at this stage, he can still do damage simply because there are too many cowardly Republicans actually in office who are afraid to contradict him or go against his wishes for fear of angering the moronic MAGA masses...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Deltasquid posted:

Query from this dumb European: what power or office does Trump hold to sink this compromise? I thought he wasn’t president any more and also he’s heading straight to jail?

The US basically has a two-party political system due to the widespread use of "first-past-the-post" election systems; people can vote for one and only one candidate and the candidate who gets the most votes wins. (In reality it's a bit more complicated because every state runs its own elections and there are a lot of complexities and caveats and a few places that use different systems, but that's more or less the gist of it...) That means that federal elections for the President and members of Congress essentially always come down to a Democrat vs. a Republican candidate, because no third party or independent candidate has any hope of getting enough votes to beat whoever's on the D or R tickets. The races for majority control of both Congressional bodies (the House of Representatives and the Senate) and the presidency are usually fairly close and tend to flip back and forth between the two parties regularly. There are other various oddities with the US system that exacerbate the problem as well (hi, Electoral College!) and lots of procedural oddities in the way the legislative branch actually functions (or doesn't function), but that's too much to get into here; the upshot is that US federal elections are always the Democrats vs. the Republicans, and whoever gets the most seats and/or the presidency basically decides what happens in that body of Congress or the executive branch of the government respectively, and if one party is able to control both bodies of Congress *and* the presidency at the same time then that party basically runs the whole country unilaterally. There's no forming a government via coalition and cooperation between multiple parties in the US, since there are effectively only the two parties, and what bipartisan cooperation between the two parties there used to be has almost entirely vanished in recent years (arguably far more so on the Republican side than the Democratic side). When control is split due to very slim majorities and/or different parties holding the House, Senate, and presidency, as is the case currently, it becomes very difficult for the government to actually get anything done without a lot of wrangling and brinksmanship, and it's really easy for a small number of Congressional representatives to gently caress everything up by refusing to cooperate.

Trump currently has no official power in the US government, but the issue is that he is likely to be the next Republican candidate for the upcoming presidential election, and a sizable portion of the Republican voter base worships the ground he walks on (in spite of, and in many cases because of, his current legal troubles) and will turn on any other Republican politician who dares disagree with him or refuses to accede to his demands (no matter how inane or idiotic). If sitting Republicans in Congress go against Trump, there's a good chance they'll be voted out in their party's primaries at the next election by that pro-Trump portion of the Republican voter base and replaced with someone else who's more willing to kiss Trump's arse. Since the single most important matter for many Congresspeople is the furtherance (or at least the preservation) of their own political careers, that means that there are quite a few Republicans in Congress who are too cowardly to go against Trump in any way. If Trump demands they blow up this immigration-reform-and-Ukraine-military-aid deal because he wants to be the one to "fix" immigration when he's in office, they'll do it, for fear that if they don't, their own careers will be hosed. And the Republican party as a whole can't all band together and just tell Trump to gently caress off, because if they do, they'll lose the votes of all those hardcore Trump fanatics, and because of how close the federal elections generally are, that would almost certainly mean they'd have no hope of winning the presidency or a majority in the House or the Senate for the foreseeable future; it would effectively be political suicide for the entire party.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Alan Smithee posted:

vatniks: "ha-HA you have once again wasted precious weapons on useless russian junk!"

Ukraine lost multiple watercraft in this engagement while the Russians only lost one, so clearly Russia is the victor here! :dumb:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

beer_war posted:

So the German Bundestag is set to vote on a resolution tomorrow, formulated by the governing coalition, calling for "the delivery of additional necessary long-range weapons systems and ammunition to enable Ukraine to carry out international law-compliant, targeted attacks on strategically important targets deep in the rear area of the Russian aggressor."

So Taurus, right? :wrong:, says Olaf Scholz and don't you dare say that name.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-political-crisis-taurus-cruise-missiles-ukraine-marie-agnes-strack-zimmermann/

"These missiles are not 'Taurus', they are 'suruaT', but some careless factory worker wrote the name on them backwards. As such, they are faulty and so Germany clearly cannot use them, so we have asked Ukraine to dispose of them for us, and they have generously agreed..."

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Antigravitas posted:

I have complicated feelings regarding global thermonuclear war.

On one hand, I would perish in nuclear hellfire.
On the other hand, British tabloids would cease to exist.

Nah, the only things that survive the forthcoming nuclear apocalypse will be cockroaches, Twinkies, and The Sun. I'll grant you that the rag's journalism standards will probably improve once the former are running the latter, however...

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

CommieGIR posted:

Obviously a very realistic training exercise, involving an actual plane.

Well, if you're a Russian military pilot, it stands to reason you'd want to practice crashing.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Issaries posted:

From actual news from France:

Is Macron starting to warm up the public for sending actual troops?

Not having seen the broadcast, are they reporting on actual government/military sourced plans for prospective operations, or are they just doing the usual 24-hour-news-cycle thing where they latch onto one vague statement ("The possibility of NATO troops fighting in Ukraine at some point in the future can't be entirely ruled out") and let their resident "experts" run free with rampant speculation and nonsense to fill airtime and keep people watching?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

pro starcraft loser posted:

Just curious, why do so many Russian translations to English look like a random note made from cut out magazine clippings with different fonts and font sizes?

Presumably someone's using an OCR translator app to translate screenshots of them, because kids these days don't know how to copy and paste text. :bahgawd:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

weg posted:

:lmao:

Yeah let's base our assault on maps posted by our enemy on social media.

:lmao:

guys guys guys check out this latest super secret opsec map of ukraine

plz don't share with russia it would be very bad ok

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Ronwayne posted:

I didn't know planes could autorotate down like helicopters.

A spin is a common enough way for airplanes to crash, and it's probably a bit harder to recover from a spin when your entire airplane is currently on fire and most of the critically important bits of the plane and/or your body suddenly have a lot more holes in them than they're supposed to.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

boofhead posted:

Not only "yes, lol" but Putin has also made very sure that no alternative forms of government can exist outside of his person so once he goes the whole region is probably going to be a superpower level pile of flaming garbage for a while, and something the west seems to fear more than Russian victory in Ukraine

To be fair, the country with the world's largest stockpile of nuclear weapons collapsing into all-out civil war between multiple factions, each one shittier than the last, really is a pretty terrifying notion. Unfortunately it's also pretty much inevitable, regardless of what happens in Ukraine over the next few years.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Just Another Lurker posted:

Given the state of the Irish Defence Forces; we let them conquer us, then spend the next 800 years annoying the gently caress out of them till they go away. :shrug:

Ah, don't worry, we have a plan for that... :v:

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure the real plan would be "surrender instantly and hope that the UK isn't willing to share a land border with Russia and eventually decides to do something about it, and also hope that 'something' isn't 'sell Northern Ireland to Putin...'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Data Graham posted:

Going for more of a Dalek vibe perhaps

(I am pretty impressed that it apparently has little issue with recoil)

RPGs are recoilless, and the motor and battery and whatnot in the base of the thing is presumably heavy enough to make it fairly stable when firing the gun.