Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

meanolmrcloud posted:

is there any way to know the actual strength of the output of the US, without the financialization aspect? as in, how much do we actually produce that isn’t numbers inflated on a spreadsheet. the orthodox line when I was growing up is that despite a large amount of the GDP being fictitious finance bullshit, we still have pretty substantial manufacturing output. it would be pretty hilarious if the rest of the world realizes the only thing we export is toxic culture and assault rifles.

the US domestic manufacturing sector is still pretty good at precision stuff, on par with anyone but really remarkable industrial sectors like the Swiss

the reasons for this have mostly to do with the existing workforce (now aging rapidly, i think the average age of a CNC machinist in Oregon is like 54. anecdotally i've been in the industry for six years, i'm 38, and i've never not been in the youngest 5 machinists at any company where i've worked) and general capability of basic math education, both of which have been absolutely eviscerated as a matter of policy for longer than i've been alive

unless somehow everyone decides to A) pay machinists for the number of workers' worth of work we do nowadays or B) hire an average of 50-100% more people to do the same amount of work, so that we can pass on our skills and institutional knowledge in a seamless and coherent fashion, as happened pretty consistently until the 80s, i can't see the US machining sector retaining its relative dominance on the world machining stage

in the last few years, PRC companies have started putting out some really high-quality tungsten carbide and other powder-deposition-made cutting tools which they're able to consistently sell to US shops at undercut rates so it's only a matter of time before the rest of US domestic tool-and-die poo poo is pushed out of business or acquired from overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

the only safe place to live or work in the neighborhood is inside the Archimedes Ray tower

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

"well you see i, a willing rube, find the Middle Path to be most appealing,"

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Crazypoops posted:

I had severe Democrat and they put me on SSRIs

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

and I know that what I'm essentially describing is The Tendency for the Rate of Profit to Fall, and in turn explains the capitalist logic of planned obsolescence and the conversion of everything into X As A Service, but like... and then what???

*u were assassinated by a drone strike*

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is this prodromal schizophrenia?

is this just fantasy?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Raccooon posted:

I don't really know how to take this stuff? Like are we actually close to a real AI or is this just a really good pattern matching algorithm. Another way to think about it is it took ChatGPT analyzing a data set of text the size of the internet to be able to generate text like a human. A human doesn't have to analyze nearly that much text to be better than ChatGPT at it.

i think the best layperson way to look at the large language model stuff is that it's like the AI player from an RTS, but souped up and for paragraphs

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

I think the best way to view them is as what they are: systems that can output plausible text responses to queries. That's really it, with everything else being kind of a side effect of the specific training data that went into the model.

The limitations/caveats of these models make a lot more sense when you view them that way, because they can't really provide reliable information or analysis on any subject. The main thing you get out of them is a workable text response, and the system has zero concept of the correctness of its content except from prior reinforcement learning.

this is more or less the picture i was trying to paint, an RTS computer player can produce units and move them around the simulation space and by those abilities alone it provides a threat credible enough to the human player that the human needs to learn and use counters for it, but it's not playing the game in any meaningful sense and its purpose is explicitly not to do that but just to provide the sensation of a credible threat

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Nodelphi posted:

a dude named Millionare Pewdie.

threaf tortle

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Nodelphi posted:

I thought AI turned out to be just global south tech workers propping up a glorified chat bot… The media thought this would matter then they realized that CEO’s didn’t care and it was full steam ahead for AI regardless.

before ChatGPT became a buzzword this was true of an awful lot of AI-branded “technologies,” and it can be expected to still be true for a bunch of poo poo going forward

the LLMs just don’t have the same scale of backend human guidance which is required for a lot of grift “self-navigating” demos and poo poo due to how they’re built and how they operate

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

poor people will die, making it a win for the policy and owner classes

blue man's PR machine said it was good

imagine red men wailing and gnashing teeth, so good right?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Antonymous posted:

we should use that money to fund free education

*u were assassinated by a drone strike*

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

cool av posted:

20 eggs often my dinner

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

RadiRoot posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1682011251038208005

disney getting desperate. maybe we can pool our resources and buy an IP.

GOON PROJECT: Toward a Protracted Very Goofy Peoples’ War in the Florida Everglades

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Nodelphi posted:

Legit can’t tell if this is parody or not but I really don’t want to think it’s real.

no way it’s in earnest, at the end there’s a shot of him talking on two phones at once like an 90s cartoon businessman

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

who would get bent out of shape about Bidendident Joe Presiden, win or lose

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

can’t wait for a White House Annex to be established in some Club Fed facility

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

just buy an ice cream horse or a bread goat lmao

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

i expected billionaires bragging that they can still afford fast food wouldn’t happen for at least a year or so more, we’re all truly hosed

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

yeah the closest "normal" comes to mean "ought" is like, Normative ethics

you misunderstand, if you do intention magic by insisting on different meanings for words, you can help defeat capitalism or something

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

screaming at my passenger to hold on as I floor the accelerator and magdump the dashboard gun to activate the speed boost

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Is it ethical to cross a picket line to obtain necessary medical services, say if the employees of your HMO's hospital are on strike?

:rolleyes: whut abbt if u r starving & will die b4 u can get to an un-struck grocery store

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Gorson posted:

We got the nightmare version of the future I was promised - most of the manual labor and manufacturing has been automated or outsourced, but we didn't get the cheap goods and extra free time that were supposed to come with it.

if they were honest about it beforehand nobody would fall for it

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

elon attempting to force one of us to become more divorced than him by making us re-ex our exes for more engagement

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

yeah right now we are waiting for particularly large chunks to give way so we can laugh and clap

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think you'll find that a car that sets itself on fire is a greater technical challenge than any drone
- far far too many tech bros, probably

considering how drones developed as a parallel to Tesla widowmakers, Teslas still need half a decade of setting themselves on fire and then about two decades to work out guidance software and hardware which mostly keep them from leaving their mission boundaries

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

StratGoatCom posted:

That is an optimistic read.

I honestly think we might hit reliable breakeven fusion before roadworthy self-driving.

oh absolutely, the meta-joke there was a contrast between the rolling poo poo-show of early autonomous drone poo poo, and the hilarious effective-impossibility which is two tons of steel and plastic driving on the same roads as us, in basically the same fashion

drone air superiority jets will have less poo poo to keep track of and be better suited for their task than autonomous cars ever will be

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

What if there is a parent shepherding?

Wild poo poo.

if the problem is that too many kids have gotten splattered in traffic trying to get to and from school, i don’t feel like i would sign off on an exception as long as a parent is also risking their own life

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Re: bus chat, In my area the city busses take the kids who don't walk or bike. It's not even that urban of an area. The yellow bluebird busses are only for field trips and maybe there's a few rural routes. There are school shuttle companies but they are private and only take a few kids usually also to after school care.

The idea of having two completely separate bus systems for school kids and the rest of the public sounds crazy.

school buses in the us are part of the framework which lets parents work, mass transit in the us is a check-the-box-we-have-it thing which is deliberately starved of funds and functionality

the rot has set in for a lot of poo poo but to keep parents at work the government forced them to send their children back to school in a plague, that level of services is still grudgingly seen as important for the grift

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Palladium posted:

grabbing cum blame

thread title

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

Learning this exact same thing happened after hiroshima briefly shut down my brain.

of loving course it did, jesus gently caress my mind christ

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Please do not attempt to trick lurkers into becoming lawyers.

in order to escape being a lawyer, each serving lawyer must convince or trick someone else into going to law school

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

become a contract killer, and by that I mean go around destroying agreements between parties

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

Long ago, the by far most absolutely hosed up thing I ever did at a Costco was create a meal I had theory crafted for years called "The Godkiller." I finally made and ate one when I was probably 20 or so, after first conceiving of it at 14 on a Costco run with my mom.

The way it worked was, you got the polish sausage, the chicken bake, and the combo pizza slice. You bite a hole in the end of the chicken bake and stick the sausage inside it. Then you fold the pizza slice longways and put the chicken bake in it like a hotdog in a bun. Then you crank some onions over it. I skipped dinner the night before and ate nothing all day until the late afternoon, when I assembled my monument to degenerate American excess, the Godkiller, and dug in.

Hunger and momentum carried me through the first 75% of it, but the last quarter was an exponentially increasing act of will. With the aid of several glasses of Coca-Cola, I finished it, and was miserable, and didn't eat for almost another entire day. It was not particularly good, but it wasn't terrible either; obtaining one's idle caprices is often met with the bittersweet realization that reality can't live up to years of fantasy. God only knows how many calories were in that atrocity.

There's nothing to say about what I did in the restroom after I digested this monstrosity that couldn't also be said about pouring the foundation of a large building with a malfunctioning industrial cement mixer. I never attempted the Godkiller again, and no one ever will, because several of the components are now lost to time.

Also, so you can correctly picture what the few onlookers at the Orange County Costco cafeteria were watching with what must have been a mixture of revulsion and fascination: imagine a 6'4", 135lb babyfaced goth guy with smudgy eyeliner in a long sleeve tee shirt from the movie The Crow, sitting alone, slowly and silently housing The Entire Costco Entree Menu at once, groaning periodically. God bless America, the troops, and George W Bush.

dropped my phone, stood up, and clapped despite desperately trying to regain control of my body

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

and elder being arrogant or conceited either in their past or in their present lucid moments doesn't make it not elder abuse, which it unquestionably is

even if she's coherent enough to actively want to hold onto power, it's the responsibility of her next of kin to prevent her continued abuse of herself

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Oglethorpe posted:

weren't they still alive for like 30 seconds

the story i'm familiar with is someone scheduled to be executed arranged with a friend that he would try to keep opening and closing his eyes until he was actually dead, as a way to get an idea of how long sensation might last after beheading, and his severed head kept doing it for at least this long, yeah

there are deffo worse ways to go but the humane goal of the Barber wasn't, in my opinion, fully achieved

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Poppers posted:

This is fake btw. You instantly lose cerebral perfusion and black out.

thanks, i specifically said “the story” because it’s got that quality to it though

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

yeah this is exactly what happened :)

did u knoe u cld just not be like this, or failing that not tell on yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

for less than $3500 i can get y'all wearable devices with googly eyes on them, which also don't work with Siri