Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

anime was right posted:

yea. bend is still cheaper than the major tech job hubs of cali.

there are a bunch of data centers by bend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
bustles into a sketchy motel 6 room

dumps a 30rack of hamms onto the bed

“drink from the cornucopia of hamms”

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

The Kingfish posted:

who the gently caress is eligible for food stamps, not disabled, not homeless, doesn’t have kids, and is working less twenty hours a week? get a job.

such low effort poo poo stirring, is this the new American work ethic? pathetic

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
what’s the best way to shop pet insurance?

pet island have a thread?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
lmbo, that’s a great bit

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Business Gorillas posted:

I'm taking a project management certification course rn. 50% of it is making process maps that are already automated and the other 50% is bullshit

what’s the blocker?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

actionjackson posted:

I actually really like my job, but I know that's super rare. I'd be super bored if I were retired, because while obviously I can do all sorts of other things, none of them give me the "intellectual stimulation" my job does.

la di dah, big shot at the dick sucking factory over here

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Vox Nihili posted:

On top of being class signifiers, a lot of Americans get weirdly attached to a particular "aspirational" brand and spend years or even decades longing for their preferred model of luxury vehicle. They will sign a blank check to make that image of them in that car just driving around a reality.

I know a dude who was an editor for the local Ferrari Club in college. he use to rag on Miata for being a poor person car. he’s about 2 decades out of college now. hope that dude gets his Ferrari one day

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh man Herman Cain page

RIP pizza man

[pours out some marinara]

[dips breadstick into puddle]

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Oglethorpe posted:

i'm assuming machinery orders are things that go into factories?

yeah, they make some good poo poo like Mori Seiki

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Truniht posted:

can someone pls define what the gently caress an activist investor is what some examples

step 1) acquire enough shares to possibly start loving up proxy votes
step 2) demand seats on the board, or you'll gently caress up proxy voting.
step 3) start media campaign in business rags to say why board is loving up, hope to drive down stock price some
step 4) get seats on the board
step 5) they start yelling "cost reduction", "load up on debt" or whatever makes them some money
step ) g6et paid

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have not been on camera at my job in over three years

my last spot, everyone was on camera all the time

current spot, no one is ever on camera

I'm not sure which I like more.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
I hope trump campaigns on bringing integrity to fast food advertisements

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
"Mr. McDonald, fill up this bun!"

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our double quarter pounders of today."

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Unions are neutered and unions are the only reason factory jobs ever became well-paying in the US

also automation. people like mold makers got paid well before cnc because you have to be smart plus have dexterity. not everyone could do it. the byproduct would allow machine to replace people making widgets.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

There's an episode of How It's Made with a dude in Italy making a brass pasta extrusion die and the amount of work that goes into it, real manual work, is insane.

Tool & die guys would get paid $5-7 in the 60's. that's like present day computer toucher wages

now they get paid like $25-35/hr

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Man, you aren't making GBS threads

*fractional ownership

*$2k/month hoa

that place is crazy expensive

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Twerk from Home posted:

That price checks out for Houston a few years ago. Y'all are the ones disconnected from reality.

I bought a new construction 2400sqft house with a 2 car garage on a quarter acre for $160k in Houston less than a decade ago.

sure, but in the year of the lord 2023, that does not exist

world is a gently caress

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

I thought Phoenix was cheap

like a lot of places, maybe 10 years ago. I have friends who picked up houses in east valley (Gilbert/Chandler) for under $130k ~2015. standard slab ranch houses, city lot, 3br, 2 bath type things. New builds were ~260-320k for same but brand new.

But that area is HOA hell, so who knows what the real cash flow was/is.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Glumwheels posted:

At home daycares do make money, the costs are minimal other than food, license, and a helper or two. If you have 8 kids and you’re being paid $1800 per kid that’s a lot of scratch and little kids don’t eat much. All they cover is lunch and a few snacks, parents provide the diapers and wipes and other consumables.

Parents donate tons of poo poo (toys, clothes, old diapers etc) too.

a family member used a home daycare provider on the Eastside. Situation as you described. They have a house in Leavenworth they would go to every Friday-Sunday. Seems like she had a good system, making cheese and only having to deal with 4 families. And to your point, all the patrons donated a ton and were super accommodating so their kids had good experiences.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

loquacius posted:

My dudes I have gotten form-letter rejections for so many job listings I am quite clearly qualified for on paper, sometimes after I talk to a recruiter and they're all smiles on the phone, sometimes without even the phone call. Some of the jobs are fake, and the rest have already gone to one of the 5 million other people who have applied to them, and you will never know which is which, the system is perfect

when I went through similar, it was so demoralizing. I hope you haven't let it get to you to much

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

loquacius posted:

I'm experienced enough at this point to know it doesn't have anything to do with my own competence or innate worth. I'm finding it tough to act enthusiastic on the calls I get because I don't really have much hope for any individual process but I at least am not having a crisis of confidence or anything over it, I just hate capitalism

capitalism is a gently caress

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

ATC as a rule will not hire anyone over 30. The shortage is not due to a lack of applicants, it is purely because their budget is inadequate.

what does atc mean?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Tonetta posted:

the correct answer is to take the loving train/bus if you live somewhere you can, and if you don't, to relentlessly pressure your government for these facilities

sorry mate, putting up new signs to the event center, boring tunnels and installing traffic cams. No money for trains/busses.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Buffer posted:

but do not fill out an SF86, it is a trap

could you explain this to me, an idiot?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I work in a very technical field but not 'tech' (industrial equipment and project management) in a non-technical role.

My company has been completely onboard for remote work and I've had zero pushback on it from C-suite down.

e. if you're a tech worker laid off/looking for something else I would pretty strongly recommend industrial controls. please. work somewhere so I have someone under the age of 60 to talk to about anything.

who are the big players in industrial controls?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Burn Zone posted:

lmao they waited until market close to announce this

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1729607399420449021

rest in piss ya old bitch

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Number Go Up.

I remember in my microeconomics 101 class, like day one, the dude got up there and asked, "What is the equation of happiness?" He drew # of wants fulfilled divided by # of wants.

He then said something like, "no matter how many wants are fulfilled, you will be unhappy, but this drives everything"

in hindsight, dude was pretty strait with it

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

He was wrong, mostly

as long as most people have their needs for food and housing fulfilled they will find other needs to chase but those other needs aren't as important as food and housing

I can chase my desire to fulfill my need for lovely Japanese cartoons for the rest of my life and still be happy on some level as long as my needs for food and housing are fulfilled

We're doing a great job at fulfilling the need for lovely Japanese cartoons. The food and housing needs, not so much

[head gestures towards jevons paradox]

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Glumwheels posted:

That’s a bargain for a homemade cake but a poo poo move by her friend to do that after the cake was made.

Around here a cake is $100+ and that’s off the shelf, anything custom adds $200 to the price or more.

dawg, I think you've been getting ripped

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C482SNCW?asc_source=01HFY6QAA19TPJKTPW1MKMF1KH&tag=snx87-20

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

PoundSand posted:

I feel like I recall seeing a scandal where some pro cakemaker owned up to mostly just using cheap box mix for the cake itself and the expense was mainly for the labor/decorations and other bakers backed them up and yeah I get that realistically a lot of time can go into decorating a cool cake so considering hourly wage for a skilled artist it makes sense that it'd be expensive even with cheap ingredients but lmao at paying a couple hundred bucks for what is at the end of the day betty crocker.

https://www.amazon.com/Spiral-Birth...rd_i=B014K2NKVY

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Stereotype posted:

if someone fired me without warning and then shortly after realized they had made a mistake and tried to rehire me I would be incredibly unscrupulous about bilking enormous sums of money from them while ensuring I never delivered anything of value.

:hai:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Wait: at one point China was publishing 90000 different economic indicators?

What the hell does that mean in this context? Like you could find data on what kind of toothbrushes people with one eyebrow liked?

it’s prob more like under 100 indicators applied to regions or specific demographics to create unique ones to compare

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

euphronius posted:

someone check my math but .4 x 12 seems to be 4.8%

wouldnt you do 1.004^12 or 4.9%

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

lmbo

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

has anyone in modern history ever had a rent decrease

way back in college, we hosed our landlord out of the last 3 months of rent because we didn't have a lease signed, he was going through a divorce and apartment complex was being sold off/under contract and he left town for a few months. so we just didn't pay, moved out after the year and told him to go gently caress himself when he wanted those months. somehow it all worked out lol

does the count?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

no I was talking about your landlord deliberately decreasing your rent e.g. how prices might go down at the gas pump or supermarket

lol, lmbo

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

euphronius posted:

is economics the only field where they consistently change how things are measured but then compare historical measurements like they are the same

baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

euphronius posted:

I was thinking baseball but they are pretty rigorous in creating stats which reach for consistency over eras

race, field dimensions, equipment, drugs

the stats will always miss the defining features on an era

but yeah, doesn't touch Econ like you were looking to compare