Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

wtf old thread died before I caught up :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

I will never get over how funny the duck masks are, I love them

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

harrygomm posted:

are you even allowed to emptyquote posts this recent?

they murdered the old thread before I could catch up :mad:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Does the new strain have a cool name yet? Garm? Garuda? Hresvelgr?

Turbofucker 9000

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

Also, wherever you are now Rubby, I hope you come back one day. You are missed.

:sadwave:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

bedpan posted:

expanded my paxlovid hoard today. went to the pharmacy and said I was the paxlovid inspector and walked away with 50 boxes

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

bobtheconqueror posted:

You know how folks complain about "normalization" forcing COVID news and people that are COVID conscious, from immunocompromised folks to just people who don't like being sick, into the margins of society? The notion that many people are ignorant of the realities of COVID because it's simply considered impolite to discuss them?

This is just a dead comedy forum, but the sort of forced decorum (in a supposed FYAD lite no less), especially when dealing with a mass death and disability event, is normalization in action. It's the very same idea of conflating calmness and politeness with just thought or actions, ultimately as a means to enforce the status quo, but in this case more likely just a weird visceral reaction brought on by propaganda that COVID isn't something to be taken seriously.

I don't have any objections to moderating the thread, but the whole notion that we can thread the needle to please dedicated poo poo stirrers who demand the thread be "normal" is absurd at face value. COVID taken seriously isn't normal, and folks whose whole posting persona is trying to police other threads aren't inclined to be satisfied anyways. The thread will be normalized until it is dead or removed, regardless of the actual content of the posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

was this supposed to be a comedy probe or something

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

The vibes in this thread are like if you are at work and your boss is just constantly standing behind you watching for you to do something wrong.

It sucks and I hate it now.

yeah new thread is a lot less fun than before. sad!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

bobtheconqueror posted:

I don't think there's much to say, tbh. The people elsewhere who rile each other up over this thread and petition the mods to gas it because we're not "normal" included one particular piece of poo poo.

That speaks for itself.

Shiroc posted:

SPR was at the vanguard of previous times. There is more weight of evidence at this point that obsessive drama posters are more likely to do things horribly damaging to the forums than anyone else.

skooma512 posted:

free silicone thrills.

DickParasite posted:

So will you be probing the obvious poo poo-stirrers? I'm all for the "us vs them" posting to stop but it seems like it's only the "us" who get blamed for it.

:yeah:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

how about also people were always right to question the vaccine and efficacy of lockdowns as the pandemic never suspended the question of capital.

it’s still echoed in this very thread that if people had just lockdowned harder, the virus would have been defeated. that was just a delusion as lockdowns were always for the ‘non-essential’ workers.

the disdain for ‘anti-vaxxers’ was always dumb because the vaccine doesn’t stop spread and the risk calculation is nebulous especially for younger people as the vaccine is not without side-effects

:ok:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

eXXon posted:

Whooping and coughing as I successfully lobby for the return of measles, mumps and rubella

hooting and hollering and making GBS threads myself from cholera

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I was surprised how clear many of the, I'm guessing older, nurses on reddit were about that. Taking pride in your appearance with a uniform, even (and imo especially) if it's a little impractical signifies that you're a cut above. In other words, you do it for yourself and pride in your profession. When you get paid dick all it feels like something your employer is forcing on you, "I don't get paid enough for this poo poo". Why would you take pride in wearing a white watchband, only white socks etc. etc. if you're paid hardly anything?

As you said, if that means you aren't respected by society, and don't feel self respect or professional respect as a result. I know this sounds derogatory but I'm sure nurses would just feel like housekeepers if they still had to dress sharply but weren't paid well and weren't respected. Which I think is related, because in Canada some nurses' caps did start out as maids' headwear but as the profession became more prestigious the women took ownership of the symbol and the caps changed.

It makes sense if the reverse is true. The worse you feel about your "job" as the work undergoes deprofessionalization, the worse you would feel about dressing up for it, or identifying with it.

But policing has also been deprofessionalized in who they select, how they train them, what they expect from them. It really is high school C average bullies in many departments now, even ones that used to be ridiculously restrictive. They are just there to brutalize people and so the need for public symbols that represented trust - uniform tunics, gleaming buttons, shining boots, peaked caps - have given way to ball caps and short sleeve uniforms with giant loving vests that place the gun, baton, taser and pepper spray front and centre because that's what police are now. Why would they feel the need to dress any differently?

I know white glove inspections didn't make the police's role in upholding capital any different in a fundamental way, but the fact that they don't need to keep up appearances with the public probably isn't coincidental.

Tulip posted:

My point about cops and landlords is not so much about their level of professionalization so much as their power and latitude in the world. The trend in the workplace is that we are creating a caste system where there is an owner caste that is by dint of their legal status is immune to, uh, any feedback whatsoever, then an administrative caste that is expected to be competent at a very limited skillset but placed in great managerial power over fields where knowledge of domain is treated almost as a flaw, while the rest of the workforce is facing increasing micromanagement and deskilling where we have less and less agency over even the nature of our work.

Police on the other hand are undergoing a different process where they are also a caste but they're almost more similar to the owner caste: they are increasingly immune to any consequence for any bad action (other than betraying the police lol) and are just fully above and outside the law that the rest of us are subject to. They have that classic freedom, the freedom to expect from others without reciprocating. The freedom of rights without obligations.

Re: uniforms, I think you're basically right FF. I used to work as a caterer. I had to wear a tux, which is like the height of fancy dress for a job, but the job paid poo poo and was basically just being treated like furniture by rich fucks, so it didn't feel like 'taking pride in my appearance,' it felt like wearing coveralls or just any other blue-collar rear end uniform. If anything the disconnect made it feel kind of like a form of ritual humiliation and mockery.

good posts

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

COVID response confounds SARS expert

Aug 24, 2023

Buy this doctor an account.

yeah sounds about right

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

tenderjerk posted:

wow thank you speng31b for continuing to protect these forums from jokes

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

fosborb posted:

waiting to drop life expectancy tables until Friday afternoon, like a normal country

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Oracle posted:

Love living in a world-sized uncontrolled gain of function experiment.

:buddy:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

denying myself sweet training particulates such that my virgin lungs are unprepared to facetank wildfire season

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

I had these same questions until I read this article from before the pandemic

https://www.thepumphandle.org/2013/05/07/from-the-dentists-chair-remembering-how-they-cried-wolf

there were a chunk of dentists who fought for the right to grope your mouth with their bare hands and inhale all your bloody aerosols but were cruelly denied by the tyrannical Bush Sr. administration

I think you can take people from just about any profession, tell them that they need additional PPE for their job to be done well and you'll see at least a decent chunk of them get pissy.

lol what an article

humans rock

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

i wear a mask cause im gently caress-ugly

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Tzen posted:

this was how he handled early 2020,

dude fuckin owns

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Zantie posted:

How is BA.bby formed?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

If in 2019 I suggested to anyone in the field of medicine or anything adjacent to it that we’d have the equivalent of two to ten severe flu seasons per year, every year for the foreseeable future—a death toll that easily places it top amongst all infectious disease and perhaps as high as malaria, tuberculosis, and AIDS combined—and that we should do nothing about it, they would consider this to be stark raving madness.

Now it’s considered mad to care.

yeah it owns :buddy:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

this post has been edited for gary larson compliance

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

skooma512 posted:

This is a Chinese bioweapon!

I demand we immediately surrender to the bioweapon!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

celadon posted:

as a trained virus person this is my expert opinion on why COVID expressing the spike protein is completely harmless

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

stupid sexy virus

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

bedpan posted:

never going to stop lolling that the variant naming system has forever ended

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

I'm still a believer in the theory that molnupiravir was responsible for the OG Omicron

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Zodium posted:

it's time to let me smoke in bars again.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Panic Restaurant posted:

Love to live in this GameMaster Anthony’s birthday-rear end Pandemicene

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Why Am I So Tired posted:

This deadly, disabling vascular disease is really disrupting my schedule!

it's quite annoying tbh

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Stay Together for the Kid (Who I Disabled)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

My neighbor told me that respiratory pathogens keep eating his nurses so I asked how many nurses he has and he said he just goes to the global south and gets new nurses afterwards so I said it sounds like he’s just feeding nurses to respiratory pathogens and then his daughter started crying.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

anus (butthole)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Shiroc posted:

Gotta admit I'm pretty bummed about there not actually being anything on the horizon that will change the incredibly stupid situation we're in.

don't worry the biosphere collapse thread has the answers you seek :buddy:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

i love you

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Shiroc posted:

Even if covid went away, I'd continue to run my air purifiers all the time because gently caress dust.

:yeah:

dusting is the worst and I love my big beautiful dust murdering cubes