Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We're both to blame - I got the year wrong, while you got Day/Month confused for Month/Day. Europeans :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

fez_machine posted:

Mizzle Assault Ant

I'd be shocked if you don't see this user's name a few more times.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Can't believe The Miz blew up a bus.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 52.94% of the vote, Naito/Ospreay advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Will Ospreay vs. Zack Sabre, Jr. from RevPro High Stakes against Best Friends vs. Santana & Ortiz from AEW Dynamite

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Match 2: Will Ospreay vs. Zack Sabre, Jr. - February 14, 2020 (RevPro High Stakes) against Best Friends vs. Santana & Ortiz - September 16, 2020 (AEW Dynamite)

Will Ospreay vs. Zack Sabre, Jr. - February 14, 2020 (RevPro High Stakes)

What We Said

Qualified as a MOTY in the 2020 Thread

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Everything their recent NJPW match was and more. They teased things from the first match, they clearly love working together and the crowd was absolutely nuclear. These two are barely in their primes yet and they're making a case for them being the two best British wrestlers of all time

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Match was amazing

Rarity posted:

Don't let this one get lost in the shuffle, it's totally worth your time. It's like if wrestling was chess. The only issue I had with it is RevPro's production is kinda shite. They had a hardcam set up but hardly ever used it in favour of really awkward angles that sometimes miss the action.

Akileese posted:

Ospreay vs ZSJ would have been even better if the production was on NJPW level and not revpro. I felt like I missed some really big spots.

wicka posted:

god this was good

Thanlis posted:

that was transcendent. Best boys.

Jerusalem posted:

what a match. Even RevPro's not particularly good production values brought it down.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

These RevPro commentators need to learn how to monitor mic levels, Jesus Christ

forkboy84 posted:

Was sat watching on my phone while getting madder & madder that my bus didn't turn up. Worse ways to kill 45 minutes or however long the video was but mate, the bus was due at 7:20 & I didn't get on a bus until 8:40 so Stagecoach right now can jump in a fire. Unlike Ospreay & ZSJ who deserve better than being watched on a phone with one eye on the rapidly depleting battery.

Jerusalem posted:

It reminded me of the old ROH DVDs I'd get which would open by blasting out the sounds levels and whose mics always sounded like they were peaking.

Lumbermouth posted:

RevPro's production values are the whole reason I haven't been able to get into them. They're so loving amateurish for a promotion their size.

Yeah NGL, the camera work, lighting and audio were loving atrocious. Really took me out of the match. By comparison of the indie stuff I've seen, OTT stuff looks and sounds leagues better.

What They Said

Meltzer Stars: ***** Cagematch Ratings: 9.29 based on 190 votes. Voices of Wrestling Match of The Year Rank: 27 with 61 points from 15 votes

Voices Of Wrestling Match of The Year posted:

“There’s a very good reason this is second on my list, aside from it being one of the best matches of the year. It was the main event of the only live show I got to attend. That was 11 months ago. What I wouldn’t give to soak up that atmosphere for a few more minutes. Ospreay and Sabre have always meshed well together, the old boxing adage that styles make fights holding true as Ospreay’s high-flying style is the perfect foil for Sabre’s technical, submission game. The match was replete with spots from all of their previous matches but seemingly with new kinks – the evolution of their respective games pushing them to a new level. The finish seemed a little sudden but it showed the evolution of Ospreay, as it was the Hidden Blade and Stormbreaker that finally put Zack away and brought him his first British Heavyweight title reign.” -Andrew Sinclair

“The best examples of modern UK wrestling and the evolution that has happened there culminating in a classic match.” -Dave Musgrave

Lowest Cagematch Rating posted:

Mizzle Assault Ant - 3.0
"Another hyped Ospreay match that I didn't get much out of. I actually liked their New Japan match around the same time, but this one just seemed just showy for the sake of itself, and the lack of selling by Ospreay really makes a guy like Sabre's techniques seem pretty much useless. A full half hour of just moves moves moves."

Scott Kobayashi - 4.0
"This match frustrates me so much. It IS good. In theory. In execution, it comes off as indulgent and about as un genuine as it gets. I have no clue what it is, but I despise this match. It just comes off as two guys doing moves with no fluidity in between the movements even if there is technically moves in between. Ospreay tanks this match HARD and it was the first match that snowballed into him becoming one of the most frustrating wrestlers on the planet. The Sapporo match is special because of escalation, timing, and the dynamicness of the match. This is long, indulgent, and boring. Again, I can see why people like it, but this match is just not for me and probably my least favorite good match of 2020. **3/4"

Best Friends vs. Santana & Ortiz in a Parking Lot Fight - September 16, 2020 (AEW Dynamite)

Qualified as a MOTY in the 2020 Thread

What We Said

Jerusalem posted:

Ahem, in the words of a Japanese commentator..... "AHHHH! DANGEROUS! DANGEROUSSSSSS!"

karmicknight posted:

Orange Cassidy did a run in from a loving trunk

NienNunb posted:

Match of the Century

Jordan7hm posted:

Holy gently caress yes

xbilkis posted:

gently caress yes

flashy_mcflash posted:

MOT F'N DECADE

Fentry posted:

Just kept getting better and bettter

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Was going to HM it till we got to the end but Orange Punch and Sue middle finger put up to MOTYC yes

Trying posted:

sue hugged her bloody son. wrestling is about emotions

boxcarhobo posted:

IM SO HAPPY RN

Dango Bango posted:

This match was one of the most intense I've ever seen.

Majinfoose posted:

It was such a perfect end to the feud. The middle finger deserves MOTY on it's own.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Yes, yep, mhm, yeah.

Crapple! posted:

Hell yes. Phenomenal.

TV Zombie posted:

They gave the people what they wanted.

Punch McLightning posted:

gently caress yeah, this was great

ICR posted:

It’s the best match I’ve seen all year. It was gripping. It was brutal. It is the best street fight I’ve seen.

It’s the best the best the best the BEST THE BEST THE BEST.

And it made me a believer in both these teams. They both need to hold the belts, simultaneously.

Pinche Rudo posted:

Did someone show Tony Khan Zona 23?!?!

Lamuella posted:

Absolutely agreed, this was utterly fantastic.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Holy hell what a show. And what a loving main event, easily one of the top five matches that I've seen all year.

What They Said

Meltzer Stars: ***** Cagematch Ratings: 8.97 based on 313 votes. Voices of Wrestling Match of The Year Rank: 14 with 142 points and 29 votes

Voices of Wrestling Match of The Year posted:

“What an absolutely brutal, different kind of a match. It wasn’t the street fight I was expecting, nor was it a cinematic match. It was instead a brutal match that treated cars the way a normal match would treat tables. Great use of Orange Cassidy as well.” -Mongo Underscore EBooks

“One of the best street fights I’ve ever witnessed — they built this match up perfectly as you felt these four men wanted to beat the bloody pulp out of each other. Spots felt so realistic, the Orange Cassidy spot was a huge moment and the Sue payoff at the end was a chef’s kiss.” -Bill Bodkin

“This was in my opinion the best cable television match of the year. It easily could’ve transpired into a Attitude Era hardcore match with a bunch of backstage nonsense, but it was instead a well drawn out match that used the hardcore elements to progress things. Really fun to watch and left me looking forward to the next episode of Dynamite.” -Nick Davidson

UltraNano54 - 3.0
"It's essentially no different from any of those random attitude era backstage brawls which I was never a fan of and is one of the many reasons I don't really miss that era of wrestling. Also Chuck and Taylor are very out of place in this match."

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
gotta be BF/PnP, ZSJ/Ospreay was incredible but the parking lot brawl was a singular match and represents a special night in the history of AEW

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Barry Bluejeans posted:

gotta be BF/PnP, ZSJ/Ospreay was incredible but the parking lot brawl was a singular match and represents a special night in the history of AEW

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved Ospreay vs. ZSJ but this was an easy pick for Best Friends vs. Proud 'n' Powerful in the Parking Lot Fight. That was an amazing, amazing spectacle of a match.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I love that even tho it was all fake glass you could still catch Trent blading his biceps to sell the match and it also led to OC and Sue meme spots. Best Friends vs P&P has my vote

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Going for the match that had Chuck and Taylor.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

bloodysabbath posted:

Overall it’s the Omega/Ospreay matches from 2023. I give the edge to the first one just because I got to go to the Tokyo Dome for the first time and it was amazing and also holy poo poo they got the FF7 rights.

In my heart it’s Omega/Page at full gear because it was the climax of the greatest story AEW has ever told.

Did they license OWA or stuff beyond that?

Edward Mass posted:

We're both to blame - I got the year wrong, while you got Day/Month confused for Month/Day. Europeans :argh:

Much like Imperial vs Metric, this is actually a case of USA & very few others using mm/dd Versus 5+ Continents using dd/mm

Edit:

I only saw this thread today (the downside to being a Bookmarks-Only poster 98% of the time) so missed the noms and first vote, but I'm in for the remainder. Awesome thread concept Edward Mass & spectacular write-ups fez_machine! Love the 1-minute spacing between your posts for the BF-S&O vs WO-ZSJ match-up!

Voted the match with Sue, gotta support wrestling moms driving their boys around in minivans.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 1, 2024

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

kalensc posted:

Did they license OWA or stuff beyond that?

Oh come on, you think Kenny would just settle for the music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_WNaso8A_w

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Kvantum posted:

Square Enix Japan also tweeted out a congratulations that the match got over 5 stars.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Kvantum posted:

Oh

Well then

14-year-old me just started marking the gently caress out inside my 40-year-old body :swoon:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Voted for the most based match of this round, the Parking Lot Brawl. Will vs Zack was incredible, INCREDIBLE I SAY, but it didn't have the EMOTION of the Brawl.

Also, Meltzer giving 5 stars to a TV backstage brawl match:lol:nuff said

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Gotta go with that parking lot brawl, just wild poo poo.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 75% of the vote, Best Friends vs. Santana & Ortiz advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Aereo vs. Villano III, Jr. from AAA Lucha Juarez against Will Ospreay vs. Yota Tsuji from NJPW Destruction in Kobe

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Match 3: Aereo vs. Villano III, Jr. - March 1, 2020 (AAA Lucha Juarez) against Will Ospreay vs. Yota Tsuji - September 24, 2023 (NJPW Destruction in Kobe)

Aereo vs. Villano III, Jr. in a Mask vs Mask match. Best Two out of Three Falls - March 1, 2020 (AAA Lucha Juarez)

Note if you're going to watch* this one fresh, it's probably best to watch it unspoiled, the crowd reactions to the twists and turns are what elevate the match
*links at the end of this entry

What We Said

Did not qualify for MOTY

Great lucha de apuestas match, with Villano in particular doing some really crazy moves.

Oil! posted:

I did a quick look around when this match happened and saw nothing. This deserves to be a MOTYC. It is a rematch of their fathers, and keeps going.

What They Said

Meltzer Stars: Unrated Cagematch Ratings: 9.17 based on 34 votes. Voices of Wrestling Match of The Year Rank: 13 with 145 points from 24 votes

“The long historical lore attached to this. The Visceral nature of the match. The uniqueness of the lucha style.” -Franky DeJesus

“Luchas de apuestas between two masked wrestlers are my favourite thing in professional wrestling. Even a bad apuestas has a gravity born of real stakes – somebody’s life is going to change. The stakes are real and defined, and every element of the match is filtered through and elevated by them. For Villano III Jr., that pressure is even greater, for he seeks to defend the mask given to him by his father; to build his own legacy, he must risk the legacy of his heritage. Throughout the match that pressure mounts, until finally Villano decides that victory is more important than honour. He leaves with the mask of Aereo, and, vitally, his own. That is what matters.” -Jeff Martin

“It’s not often that you see long-term storytelling in lucha libre. This was a battle with hate, drama in every fall, an extraordinary blend of styles and callbacks to the historic Atlantis vs. Villano Mask match 20 years ago. An unforgettable match between two rivals and a coming-of-age for Villano III Jr..” -Ricardo Gallegos

“This match was unique in that it combined all of the elements of AAA into one match. It was two out of three falls, it featured a ton of high-flying, as well as the typical hardcore spots and some great technical wrestling as well. A cool thing about the match is that it was the culmination of a feud that had been lasting for years, something that is mainly seen in wrestling involving main event wrestlers, but Aereo and Villano III Jr. are not main event wrestlers, they are mid-card young guys on the rise. While neither Aereo or Villano III Jr. have been able to do much this year after this match, it was a tremendous showcase for young talent in front of a really hot crowd.” –Jesse Collings

Javichohervas - 7.0
"I was going to rate and comment the match but it's word for word what Makai Club said. I feel EXACTLY the same way about this match."

Makai Club - 7.0
"Sadly going against the grain on this one. I wanted to LOVE it but it wasn't to be. The first fall was decent. There was some good lucha mat-work, with the headstand slap exchange sequence to boot. The second fall wasn't great but it set up some good elements like Villano showing more rudo tendencies with Villano III Jr injuring his leg seemingly but it turning out that he was faking it and then captalized on that when Aereo was distracted. And the blood being drawn with Villano III Jr hitting a tope that nailed Aereo in the face. Both looked to have drawn blood from it. And I'm not comparing it to Atlantis vs Villano III as a whole match but that spot was pretty much the same - now that's a good way to emulate a great match. Villano III Jr didn't take long to finish the fall after that. The third fall was good in parts. Villano throwing Aereo in the crowd ruled. He did it so recklessly too. And with the camera being fixed to a certain point, we only saw him being thrown and if he landed on anyone which was probably for the best. This big tin thing was thrown at both guys heads. The brawling was pretty violent and honestly chaotic in ways most brawls aren't. Villano took a nutty bump onto some chairs which transitioned into a crazy dive Aereo took from the light structure. But I oddly felt uninvested in the nearfalls and the big final struggle for the win. The key for the apuestas matches is their high level drama and maybe it's just not really being into either luchador but this didn't have that. And that gave the entire match a ceiling for how much I enjoy the match overall. And that finish. I'm unsure if it was a shoot but that was a lame duck of a finish. A count out? What a way to lose your mask. Ah. This had me and then it didn't by the end. Good match that probably needs revisiting but right now, it's good to a point but not great like you'd expect. ***1/2"

AfRotaker - 7.0
"Also ich seh da schon das Positive, die beeindruckende Stimmung. die Dramatik, auch die Athletik. Ich seh aber auch viel Leerlauf, einige Aktionen die daneben gingen und ein sehrt fragwürdiges Finish. Ich habe Aereo nie wieder vorher oder nachher gesehen."

Watch For Free
Livestream
Full Match With Build

Will Ospreay vs. Yota Tsuji - September 24, 2023 (NJPW Destruction in Kobe)

What We Said

Qualified for MOTY

Rarity posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo this match.

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Tsuji is a fucken star, baby.

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

Tsuji might be that fuckin guy

gripebomb posted:

Dear mother of god....

SG Bamboo posted:

Yota fuckin Tsuji, cannot wait until that man is the top champ of the company. Bill is pretty good too I guess

What They Said

Meltzer Stars: ***** Cagematch Ratings: 9.22 based on 315 votes. Voices of Wrestling Match of The Year Rank: 41 with 45 points from 13 votes

“While Yota Tsuji returned from excursion far ahead of his peers, I couldn’t help but feel there was something missing in his work. His aura was undeniable and his moveset was flashy, but his matches lacked a certain connective tissue. However, his encounter with Will Ospreay at Destruction in Kobe was a true star making performance. Coming out of this show, I felt very optimistic about the future of New Japan, as a match with one of the promotion’s bright young stars hit the same peaks as several of my all time favorites” -Ry Harrison

Mizzle Assault Ant - 3.0
"What can I say? Another virtually identical Ospreay match. Its what the people want to see so I cant really criticize it, but at this point I just have interest in it, theres just not one thing different or memorable about this match compared to the last two dozen big Ospreay matches or more, they just seem flat out interchangeable to me. Just feels totally soulless to me, Ospreay could be wrestling his worst enemy, his best friend, or a pile of lint and it would be pretty much the same. Way too long for my taste, counters Ive sen before, spots Ive seen before, Yota really had no opportunity to show what makes him unique because he was just wrestling the Ospreay formula. Its not the worst Ive seen or anything but I just cant muster much enthusiasm for it."

SoundwaveAU - 4.0
"Did you watch Ospreay/Naito, Ospreay/Okada or Ospreay/ELP from the G1 this year? Or any other standard Ospreay epic? Then you've basically seen this match, congratulations. This match was worse though, it felt like a parody of an Ospreay match, taking a bit of all the big Ospreay matches this year and combining it into something truly gross. It was structured similarly to Ospreay/Omega 1 (Ospreay wasn't as dominant as Omega was, but was still in complete control of this match until a desperation Gene Blast hit near the end) and had the loser doing the show of defiance before getting finished off at the end, had the stolen finisher kickout at 1 of Ospreay/Omega 2 (I don't know why there were stolen finishers in this match, it was nowhere near personal enough to warrant it) except completely soulless, and, well, I guess it's a pointless exercise to reference things like the counters and big spots, because that's literally every Ospreay match, so why bother? You know what this match is. It was too long, hit the point of diminishing returns way before the end. It featured the same predictable counters and spots as all the other big acclaimed Ospreay matches. Tsuji looked good, but not like, spectacularly so. He just held up his end of the bargain, but didn't bring anything unique to it. Which to be fair, is really hard to do when the Ospreay match structure is so defined and set in stone, and rarely ever deviates from a specific formula. I wish I could apparently wipe my mind clean like everybody else apparently does after an Ospreay match and pretend like I've never seen any of these exact same moves before in the same context in a different match. This is, what, the 10th-15th Ospreay match this year alone that was exactly like this (except most of them were mercifully shorter, around 20 minutes seems to be the optimal time for Ospreay's style of match) and you can't jingle keys in front of my face so many times and keep expecting me to be impressed by it. I'm so tired, bros."

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

That one dude gets absolutely no joy out of Will Ospreay

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

SG Bamboo posted:

That one dude gets absolutely no joy out of Will Ospreay

His entire Cagematch profile is...something.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If people would prefer I ignore him, I can.

It's low hanging fruit anyway.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

fez_machine posted:

If people would prefer I ignore him, I can.

It's low hanging fruit anyway.

No he's also my absolute favorite Cagematch user, he's just gonna almost always be the low rating on an Ospreay match.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Yota/Ospreay gets my nod. For a big chunk of 2023, it was my favorite match of that year - and it was thanks in large part to how the contest was shot. The venue was lit in such a way that there was this gorgeous, nearly-black background to a lot of the action, which added a good deal of drama to what was already a fantastic match. Watch it if you want a perfect example of why everyone gushes over how TV Asahi shoots NJPW.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 58.33% of the vote, Ospreay/Tsuji advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST is the same two wrestlers, twice. This may happen again.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay from NJPW G1 Climax 29, Night 7 against Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay from NJPW Battle in the Valley

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Match 4: Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay - July 20, 2019 (NJPW G1 Climax 29, Night 7) against Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay - January 13, 2024 (NJPW Battle in the Valley)

MIRROR MATCH TIME! 5 YEARS OF OKADA VS. OSPREAY.

Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay - July 20, 2019 (NJPW G1 Climax 29, Night 7

What We Said

Qualified for Match of The Year

Jerusalem posted:

Will Ospreay is the Wrestler of the Year for 2019 but Okada may legit be the best wrestler in history and putting both together was sensational.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Not a lot I can add. They were fantastic.

forkboy84 posted:

It's loving great. Blessed time to be a wrestling fan.

A Real Horse posted:

When Okada wins the block and the G1 he’s going to pick SANADA and Ospreay and they’re going to have the best ever triple threat at Wrestle Kingdom and I am going to die of happiness.

Gaz-L posted:

I think you mean best double shot main event. SANADA on the 4th, Will on the 5th. (But for real, I think Ospreay's taking the block. And yes, I picked Ibushi in the contest)

lost my old email posted:

i did not think osprey was selling enough near the end but really good. like MOTYC if you do not have my crank hang ups good

What They Said

Meltzer Stars: *****3/4 Cagematch Ratings: 9.31 based on 311 votes. Voices of Wrestling Match of The Year Rank: 6 with 232 points from 45 votes

“What happens when the Wrestler of 2019 faces off against the greatest wrestler alive in a tournament that features the very best pro wrestling of the year? Exactly what one would expect to happen.” Kentucky210

“Obvious dream match of sorts of the two divisional flag bearers of NJPW. To get this as a block match in the G1 was nothing short of awesome. The finishing sequence of reversed finishers ending in Osprey taking the rainmaker like death was the perfect punctuation on this clash.” Nick Davidson

“Top class stuff. Already an atmosphere in the building before the match even starts due to the Chaos links. Ospreay’s athleticism is unmatched and I loved him reversing the rainmaker twice and using it to set up moves of his own. I bit on the near falls in this match but at the same time they weren’t over the top spammed. The fact that Ospreay did not get to hit Stormbreaker was great too as the match didn’t need that move unless it was to provide Ospreay with the win. Great things again from a G1 tournament match involving Will Ospreay.” Brian1zvx

“What do you except from two of the best wrestlers in the world. These two had a great match in G1 Climax. Ospreay proving to Okada that he is on his level and along with Okada’s selling and Ospreay’s offence this is why this match is so great. There is still the story in the future of Ospreay trying to get a win over his Okada.” Filip Pejic

“Another example of an incredible match built around a simple story, the student and the master. Will still chasing the elusive victory against his mentor in Japan Okada. Two of the best in the world in a match that is a potential Wrestle Kingdom main event down the line.” Gary O’Donoghue

NastyYaffa - 1.0
"Pretty much exactly how I imagined this match would be. Okada doing some super forgettable work on top, Ospreay getting some flippy comebacks w/ a few strikes here & there, and then a finishing gear full of counters that we've seen about 10 million times already in New Japan. A match that felt longer than it was, and a match that sure wasn't for my tastes. Extremely generic & predictable stuff."

Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay - January 13, 2024 (NJPW Battle in the Valley)

What We Said

N/A on final qualification

Jerusalem posted:

I loved this, match was excellent, but it did have to follow that Mox/Shingo match which I can't help but compare it to. I thought the final quarter in particular was very strong and Okada's character work in particular was superb as always.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Amazing match between 2 of the best. Just so good

forkboy84 posted:

****¼ is a really good match but also a disappointing one when you consider who was involved.

NJPW US crowds are super annoying. Rolled my eyes so hard when there was a This Is Awesome chant during the fine but definitely not awesome Giulia Adora match.

What They Said

Meltzer Stars: ***** Cagematch Ratings: 8.67 based on 293 votes. Voices of Wrestling Match of The Year Rank: N/A

N/A

Mizzle Assault Ant - 4.0
"Better certainly than some of their matches together but I still find myself quite uninspired by this pairing, despite all the hype behind it. For me it's far too long with really nothing that stands out, nothing that is really memorable, nothing outside the normal formula for both these guys, no grit, no guts, just the expected flash to please the live crowd, and in all fairness it worked perfectly in that respect, it's just me that it doesn't work much for. I can't come out and say it's bad, I think it was at least less self indulgent than some of their matches, but in the end I was just not very entertained."

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The recent match was definitely one of their weaker ones, and as Jerusalem said it did have to follow the Shingo vs Moxley deathmatch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I loved both matches but that first one was the clear winner for me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 91.67% of the vote, the match from NJPW G1 Climax 29, Night 7 advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Kota Ibushi vs. Minoru Suzuki from NJPW G1 Climax 30, Night 13 against Rey Fenix vs. Kenny Omega from AEW Dynamite

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Match 5:Kota Ibushi vs. Minoru Suzuki - October 10, 2020 (NJPW G1 Climax 30, Night 13) against Rey Fenix vs. Kenny Omega - January 6, 2021 (AEW Dynamite)

Kota Ibushi vs. Minoru Suzuki - October 10, 2020 (NJPW G1 Climax 30, Night 13)

What We Said

Qualified for Match Of The Year

Cerebral Bore posted:

They say that wrestling is a work, but at times like these I find myself doubtful.

Jerusalem posted:

Holy gently caress, what a loving match.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

probably would have loved it even more if I weren't so annoyed about Billy beating Taichi

Rarity posted:

This is shaping up to be the best wrestling show of the year

What They Said

Meltzer Stars: *****1/4 Cagematch Ratings: 9.14 based on 248 votes. Voices of Wrestling Match of The Year Rank: 15 with 123 points from 22 votes

“This is another match that I was really looking forward to in last year’s G1 Climax tournament and once I heard KAZE NI NARE I was all in as I watched this show live at a time of the night where most normal humans should be sleeping. The match begins and the two feel each other out they each trade kicks to one another’s legs until Suzuki forces Ibushi in the corner to nail him with some strikes. The match was very slow paced at the start with some striking at the beginning until Suzuki took the match to the ground. Ibushi got into the ropes and forced the referee to stand him up to continue the match. They continue the feeling out process as Suzuki grabs Ibushi’s arm. Suzuki would trap Ibushi’s leg in an Achilles lock in the center of the ring and Ibushi would look to counter. At the 5 minute mark they are still on the ground and they eventually fight their way back up Ibushi forces Suzuki onto the apron and runs at him with a kick sending him crashing into the guardrail. Suzuki looks absolutely pissed as he walks about halfway up the ramp and sits down. He then invites Ibushi to meet him on the ramp as Suzuki walks further up the ramp. They trade blows on the ramp, Suzuki lands one stiff forearm to Ibushi’s jaw to knock him down. The two return to the center of the ring and trade forearms to each other’s faces. At the ten minute mark both men are down. This match was absolutely incredible as both Suzuki and Ibushi beat the poo poo out of each other for about two minutes or so. Ibushi would hit Suzuki Multiple times when Suzuki was down and all that did was get Suzuki to laugh stand back up and knock Kota off of his feet with one punch. Kota then drops Suzuki with another forearm and they both drop to the mat. This was a fight neither man blinked once and they didn’t let up they absolutely punished each other. They would trade forearms again this time laughing at the others attempts; the two get completely exhausted around the fifteen minute mark after punching each other out. Ibushi would go for the Kome Goye but Suzuki would roll with him to avoid it. Ibushi found himself on the ground and Ibushi grabbed a hold of his leg. Suzuki would cinch in a Boston Crab and then raise it up for a high angle variation. Ibushi worked his way back up and nails Suzuki with a knee which does nothing to Suzuki it just pisses him off more. Ibushi nails Suzuki with a knee and Suzuki falls over like a dead tree. Ibushi nails Suzuki with one last Kome Goye to cover Suzuki and score the win and the points. This match was slow at the start but it turned into a war. It was absolutely fantastic!” -Nathan Neumann

“This year’s G1 was by and large disappointing but this match was the only one that stood out like it could have been in any other year” -Andrew Lacelle

“Slapping, kicking and submissions oh my.” -Dave Musgrave

NastyYaffa - 7.0
"They beat the crap out of one another & smiled about it. Extremely enjoyable match. Some nice new ideas to the usual match type, but the highlights of the thing indeed were them just battering each other relentlessly & refusing to go down for another. Good poo poo. I didn't care for ALL of the forearm trading, because it's such a tired _thing_ in the grand scheme of things, but for the most part, these two were SO nasty with 'em, I couldn't help but to like what I was seeing."

MaveDeltzer - 7.0
"I liked this match a lot more the first time I saw it. Upon rewatching, the shoot style is still novel because you don't often see it go this far in New Japan, but the pacing and the strike exchanges leave a little to be desired. You had the palm strike exchanges and the trading of Achilles holds - which were all reminiscent of early Pancrase - but you didn't get the same drama you'd get from a knockdown in early Pancrase because the exchanges here were all pro wrestling style, with guys getting back up to scream and strike again. That stuff can sometimes get in the way for me and it did to some degree in this match."

realyoshihashi - 7.0
"It's pretty cool, I liked the general vibe of the match but the pacing never really got going. Minoru Suzuki very jokerfied here"

asitennakoon - 7.0
"This was a good match. But I don't see any reason why this is regarded as one of the best. First off, I don't understand why they started that slow even when they didn't plan to go long. The pacing didn't make sense. And then there was this moment where Minoru Suzuki went up to the ramp and invited Ibushi to fight there. It didn't lead to anything either. There was no reason for them to be up there if you were not using the environment. After they came to the ring, it was just the usual back-and-forth you see in Suzuki matches. Again, it wasn't bad. But there was nothing that I haven't seen before. ****1/2"

Causeahazard - 7.0
"They had exactly the kind of hard-hitting match you would expect from Ibushi and Suzuki, Some parts of the match really worked like who doesn't love hearing Suzuki murder someone but other parts just seemed a little too over the top character wise ie; Suzuki smiling after being hit with Kamigoye and being pinned ***Ÿ"

Rey Fenix vs. Kenny Omega - January 6, 2021 (AEW Dynamite)

What We Said

Qualified for Match of The Year

Jerusalem posted:

Absolutely loving incredible. Fenix is sensational and Kenny Omega keeps up with him every step of the way. Their in-ring chemistry is out of this world, they work so incredibly well together.

Dango Bango posted:

JESUS CHRIST

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Up there with the MOTYC at the dome god drat

ICR posted:

Couldn’t have said it better. Could be best match of Dynamite all year and we are

Just
Getting
Started!!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Fenix is a loving madman.

Crapple! posted:

Absolutely insane

katatonic posted:

Fenix is out of this loving world

DuhSal posted:

match went full on and barely let up at all except for when they were chopping the poo poo of each other in pip

I Before E posted:

Really good

Evil Badman posted:

This match was on Wednesday night TV.

One of the best TV matches I’ve ever seen. Maybe the best.

Rarity posted:

Just ridic

Lamuella posted:

absolutely ludicrous match. Loved it.

my God. This is on the same level as the Ibushi WK matches in my opinion.

What They Said

Meltzer Stars: ***** Cagematch Ratings: 8.88 based on 387 votes. Voices of Wrestling Match of The Year Rank: 35 with 54 points from 15 votes

“This may be the best TV match I have ever seen, 17 minutes of non-stop action (even with ad breaks) that had me on my feet for most of that time. Fenix never fails to amaze me but the rolling German Suplex from the top rope was special even by his standards.” -Mike Daysley

“It’s a real shame that the absolutely horrific events of January 6th, 2021 overshadowed the first AEW Dynamite of the new year, because that show featured what was easily one of the best matches of 2021. Kenny Omega vs. Fenix was a bout that had incredible potential on paper, but it delivered in spades when it actually happened. Omega always delivers in these big-time spots, while Fenix was nothing short of spectacular. While the result was never really in doubt, the action from start to finish was simply awesome. If you haven’t had the chance to see this match (and again….given the events of that awful day….I wouldn’t blame you), I would definitely recommend seeking it out. It 100% lives up to the hype.” -Sean Sedor

SanPellegrino - 1.0
"This match personally isn't for me, it's a very much a spotfest that I didn't find entertaining between these two guys"

DemonKing84 - 1.0
"The match was great but c'mon that ending was ridiculous. Fenix blatantly kicked out of the OWA but nobody on the commentary said anything. Why the hell would you raise your arm like that when you know you're losing. What the hell man? That turned me off completely. If that wasn't a kick out, then I don't know what it was."

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I ain't seen either of those matches so I got some viewing to do :coffeepal:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fez_machine posted:

Rey Fenix vs. Kenny Omega - January 6, 2021 (AEW Dynamite)

holy hell did this match gently caress

here's the last 5 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zenRHqXrI6c

i would like to see ibushi/suzuki though!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

graph posted:

holy hell did this match gently caress

here's the last 5 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zenRHqXrI6c

i would like to see ibushi/suzuki though!

Here you are, although be warned it was during the period where the crowd weren't allowed to cheer

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm so glad the clap crowd era is behind us, it's going to be so bizarre for people in the future to be looking back at this stuff.

Voted for Kenny/Fénix, loved both matches but the crowd is such an integral part of making almost any match reach that next level.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Voted for Suzuki/Ibushi because that match has already become legend, even with the clap crowd, whereas Fenix v Omega was just a five star awesome affair. You have to split hairs when youre talking best matches ever and I know if Fenix and Omega run it back it will be even better.

Edit: also even on cagematch land of the most elitist trolling dorks the lowest rating for it is a 7.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
And to think Jericho missed that match because he was up in DC instead. :haw:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i changed my mind after voting but changed it back. perfect

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

changed my mind again

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

SG Bamboo posted:

Here you are, although be warned it was during the period where the crowd weren't allowed to cheer

drat this loving owned

tough call until around minute 18. cheers

e: Voting closed 1 hour, 29 minutes ago.

welp

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
With 57.14% of the vote, Ibushi/Suzuki advances.

OUR NEXT CONTEST...

Akito vs. ASUKA from DDT Wrestle Peter Pan against the Lucha Brothers vs. the Young Bucks from AEW All Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Easy choice, the IPPON lightube match was my first experience with ASUKA and was one of my favourite matches that year while the cagematch was good it was a fair bit below my favourite cage match that year, the Nakajima vs Kitamiya hair vs hair match in NOAH

Here's a link to the DDT match, which has a short demonstration of the rules beforehand