Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think they touched that in the refresh.

Yeah, it's always had that funky dip after the B-pillar. Kinda threw the whole look of the car off for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

the new Fit lost it's Mk1 GTI'ish vibe

Howso? I own one with the 6MT and it's loving amazing for a sub-18k (USD) car. The new DOHC motor wants to sing the song of its people, the transaxle is typical Honda smooth, and it drives almost exactly like a GD or GE Fit.

Oh and the seats are better, it has Bluetooth, a backup and right side mirror camera, a sixth gear, the same stellar interior space, and I can drive it like a race car and never get less than 32mpg. Plus keyless entry, push button start, and you don't have to cut the driver's side carpet to install all-weather floor mats.

You've either not owned Fits, or are talking out of your arse. It might be a few hundred pounds heavier than a GD, but it doesn't feel it, and makes up for it in spades in what it's gained.

edit: mph != mpg, but the keys are so close.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Rakekniven posted:

DeMuro is mediocre on video, but he deserves some credit for coining the phrase "...there's a good chance that you are the 996 of mankind" in his article on the 996 Turbo.

Good god, you're going to felicitate him over that?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Dodge RamsChargers?

FTFY

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

ExplodingSims posted:

We can only hope.
gently caress leather seats, more car companies need to offer cloth on their high level trims.

I tried so hard to buy a BMW 2-er with the cloth interior, but even through BMW Individual you can't get the cloth interior in the USA.

Damned shame.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Frond posted:

I bought a a ‘19 Toyota 86 GT to replace my 28 year old Integra as a DD. It feels like a modern take on my S13 240SX for better or worse (it drives nice but is also slow as balls). I got the TRD springs and Anti-Sway bars which is nice.

I’m very happy with it, although some say I shouldn’t be.

I've DD'd my hyper blue BRZ for three years so far. I've threatened to trade it in and get something else about a dozen times. I've never done it. I love the car. It's my 1986 Corolla GTS that I sold, but with 25 years of refinement and safety added.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Paradoxish posted:

Driving a RWD car with good snow tires around in the winter is unironically some of the most fun you can have on public roads.

My BRZ on Michelin X-Ice's would like to offer you a subscription to its newsletter.

It's kinda almost like driving an older car on bias ply tires. Plus you get to embarrass bros in their diesel pickups.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Frond posted:

My Toyota 86 is fine, but I suppose it's due to the Blizzaks and lack of power.

Similar experience here. Made it through a couple Nebraska winters with a BRZ and a set of Michelin snow tires.

Biggest problem is almost everyone seems to ignore such a small car in traffic, similar to being on a motorcycle.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Either Doug Demuro doesn't get it, or he is just being purposefully critical with lots of hyperbole to get clicks. Either way he's an idiot, he criticizes and pokes fun of the Avalon for being a grandpa mobile, them simultaneously rags on the TRD version for trying to be more sporty.

It's almost like you've only very recently began being critical of his content.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Wheeee posted:

Wouldn't a Mustang or Camaro, even a turbo 4 model, be a much better platform to start with if you wanted to make a fast track car? The BRZ doesn't have particularly sophisticated suspension and can't fit a lot of tire.

idk it's a real question, i like small light cars and the BRZ seems really cool and fun, but nothing i know about it suggests that it'll ever be particularly fast

You can't add lightness, a sawzall and some fiberglas fixes tire issues, the rear is almost sorted from a set of relocation brackets for one mounting point, and tire compound is infinitely more important than tire size.

You start to run into issues because you'll grenade gearboxes but if you just want a track car you're wrong for not just swapping a G-Force or Liberty's and if you get real frisky a 8.8" Ford or a Winters. It'd be a lot of work but it'd be bulletproof.

Then again at that point you may as well just buy a vintage FF or something, or whatever strokes your noodle for a specific SCCA class... Or a stock moto shifter. Probably more bang for the buck.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. I've never really had a problem with him, most of his videos are ok, but that one was deliberately over the top like he was trying to piss someone off at Toyota for some reason.

100% serious. He's worse than Matt Farah and Jay Leno, and that's saying a lot.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Wheeee posted:

I don't think anyone actually likes Doug, they just like watching Doug

I don't even like watching Doug. He looks like an inhuman caricature of a human trying to be human. It makes my skin crawl. Doug is what Jerry Seinfeld would describe Matt Farah's lunch being so he Matt could remain human for another video release.

Also kinda interested in the next STI. Can I just get an EVO III with modern crash standards and ABS?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Residency Evil posted:

You guys seem to have very strong opinions about car youtubers.

They’re all pretty much the same imho: white guys who have money to fall back on in case things didn’t work out.

Chris Harris awkwardly enters the chat...

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

wallaka posted:

Transmissions are set up to either game EPA or 0-60 times, or both in some cases. Why do you think manual transmissions have gear lockouts and at most two gears to get to 60 mph? Many cars would be better suited with a closer gear ratio, but I can think of very few that use one.

BRZ / 86. I think the 2017+ cars have a high enough redline that you can just barely touch 60mph in 2nd gear.

But then again I think the BRZ is a counterexample for a lot of car stuff going on now.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Frond posted:

Not a G80 but I DD a lowered 86 GT in the winter on Blizzaks. It’s the tires.

DD a BRZ in Nebraska winters on a set of Michelin X-Ice. Can confirm, 100% about the tires.

Okay, maybe 85% tires and 15% driver / common sense.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

bull3964 posted:

I have enough trouble with ground clearance in a BRZ in the summer, I can't imagine driving it with snow on the roads.

Ground clearance is the only issue. Other than that it's judicious use of throttle/clutch and picking a good line in roads.

Oh and also making sure you remember other drivers will forget your tiny car exists and run you off the road...

[edit: added a word]

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
I DD a BRZ and I'm very interested in the new model.

I'm of the opinion that anyone complaining about the torque dip is just a bench racer looking for a reason to dislike the car. It's really not that bad. Either drive the fuckin' thing on full boil or deal with it being flat past 3k until 4k.

It's a wonderful car that I can drive the wheels off of and still get a combined 28mpg. I would like to have a newer one for CarPlay tho...

Also, odd opinion: I wonder what it would be like with the short-stroke Toyota GR V6? Asking for a friend.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

PT6A posted:

That's worse than I do in the Golf R, which I absolutely thrash whenever possible too. I would hope a newer version has significantly improved fuel economy.

My lifetime combined has a lot of cold starts and allowing the engine to idle to come to temperature and defrost the windows. Parking outdoors in Midwest winters sucks.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

BraveUlysses posted:

oh yeah just in case anyone forgot how loving bad adam corolla is

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1307030082477789184

lol at nissan using this loser to speak at the new Z unveil

Wow. I haven't paid attention him for a bit, and being from SoCal I'd try to defend him but... gently caress Adam Carolla

He started out okay on KROQ with Dr. Drew trying to bring some modern thought to relationships and sexual health but... Yeah.

If he's any representation of the new Nissan then hard pass.

gently caress that guy. The idea of tone deaf is tone deaf on Adam Carolla.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Midjack posted:

All navs are prone to these problems. Unless there’s an accident or construction in front of you, you’re frequently better served to avoid residential cut throughs and stay on main roads. If the estimated time saved is less than 5 minutes it’s usually not worth the detour at all.

Almost seems like similar to being able to set the "no toll roads" option you should be able to do the same for a "no stupid residential cut through" option.

At least in theory.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

PittTheElder posted:

Also eww hatchbacks

Rude.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Huh, I figured my Hyper Blue BRZ with 60k miles on it would have way worse resale value right now. Good to know!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The BRZ is Slow Car Fast. Some people dont like that. Others get all hot n bothered by throwing it in backwards and doing a balancing act on high speed sweepers other RWD's just dont really like doing. If you like doing the latter it really can be one of the most astonishingly great drives.

Also the fact it is one of the most amazing blank canvasses to go build whatever you want. It's bang for modding buck really is about the best out there.

I love mine. I still haven't worn the original set of tires off it and am looking forward to putting a set of Pilot Sport 4S on. Freeway cloverleafs are already plenty of fun. Better tires should make it even more so.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

FBS posted:

God I would kill for Mazda (or anyone else) to build an RX-8 again with a normal engine.

Twin-turbo 2.3L K V6?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

KillHour posted:

The Wrangler literally only exists for people who rock crawl and people who cosplay as people who rock crawl.

Also please in the new BRZ adjust the Torsen bias ratio so people don't look at me funny when I make a sharp turn and the inside tire breaks loose. Thank you.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
I will be 100% trading my 2016 BRZ in on a 2022 BRZ. I'm very glad they didn't gently caress anything up.

It's gonna be (more of) a hoot to drive with that much torque.

bull3964 posted:

I'll probably trade my 2015 in as well, but I'm going to wait until they come out with some cool special editions as I like the unique aspects of my Series.Blue.

My 2016 is a Hyper Blue and the only thing I'd miss is the paint color. The matte cover on the instrument cluster will be wonderful for glare, and Apple CarPlay will be nice. The only thing I'd want different is the Brembo brakes from the performance package.

antimatt fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 19, 2020

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Previa_fun posted:

I'm impressed they managed to keep the 7500 redline while bumping displacement so much. I've not driven one but Toyobaru drivers I've talked to all mention the revvy engine as part of the car's charm so glad they kept that.

Looking at you, Honda.

The displacement is an increase in bore, so the overall increase in peak piston speed is minimal, and I'd wager a guess the increase in piston mass isn't enough to stress the rods. The crank is nearly bulletproof.

bird with big dick posted:

Most roads are straight

And the BRZ is easily fast enough to get you in to trouble, whether with the law or running out of talent and road. I wonder if the 2022 will have a speed limiter instead of being aero limited? I'm betting with enough road the 2022 will top 150mph.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Rhyno posted:

Only if you're some sort of ogre.

6'4" tall. Sunroofs suck.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

bull3964 posted:

That's a good thing. Not only does it keep the system lubricated, it uses it to remove moisture from the air to keep the windows from fogging.

You mentioned the excellent electric power steering of the BRZ a few pages back. The auto climate control of my BRZ also did very well at running the a/c to keep moisture down during midwest winters.

Other than ground clearance and somehow everyone else's inability to see the brightest blue car on the road, a BRZ with snow tires was a great midwest winter car. I think I'll get another once I no longer need the constant utility of my pickup.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

bad_fmr posted:

During winter pretty much every time I start my car I have adjust seat heater controls, defrosters for windscreen and rear window and set the blower to blow to windows to clear ice or steam. And all of that I want to do with my warm gloves or mittens on. No way do I want to freeze my fingers fiddling with some laggy touch screen. In fact, Volvo V90 would be high on my next car list if not for the idiotic all touch screen interface. C'mon Volvo, you swedes should know better!

That's one bonus about my F150. I just crank the temperature button hard right towards "warmth" and with the stock settings it turns all that on. Maybe not the seat heater, but the rest just happens. Plus it turns the side mirror heaters on.

And yeah, single with no kids so when I had the BRZ the rear seats were down and both fronts were full back. Trunk entrance was a bit fiddly sometimes but other than that it was everything I loved about my AE86 Corolla but with modern crash standards. Only complaint was that you needed to double clutch some shifts when the transmission was cold. And maybe once in a while I'd frown at the torque dip. Oh and the poo poo stock tires. The new 2.4 and better tires should eliminate those complaints completely.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Gangringo posted:

Unfortunately it is terribly laid out for long-legged people. I was ready to buy one, was going to take a test drive, sat down, and my right knee occupied 100% of the space between the steering wheel and shift knob.

You must be a mutant of a human being because I'm 193cm tall with long limbs and my knee never occupied that space.

edit: If it were possible I'd get the seats about 2-4cm lower, 2-4cm further back, and give them seat length / thigh support adjustment. Maybe a few more cm closer adjustment of the steering wheel.

antimatt fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 9, 2021

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just put a front plate on your car, nobody thinks you're cool for not running one

Nah, the state doesn't give me two plates you dweeb. Sorry you gotta have two plates I guess.

As the happy owner of a new-ish F150 I'd totally have bought the hybrid one. Seems like a great idea, especially for a work truck.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

The Oldest Man posted:

Need a Doug DeMuro version of :mods:

:nexus:

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

BlackMK4 posted:

I've got one of the 1 of 500 Hyperblue editions, but only because I couldn't find a Hakone for sale :( Best color.

I got rid of my Hyperblue back in late 2020 and really want another twin. I think I'm going to wait patiently until they release a performance package with Brembo brakes, etc. It's gotta be inevitable.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It looks to be pretty good, the motor is overbuilt for what it is and thats why you can get so much out of it.

A couple of things caught my attention that I can see blowing up motors -

1) Difficulty in tuning the direct injection

2) *really* sensitive to knock events which means 98 RON minimum, any less is a total non starter esp if you think about tuning.

3) A very definite power limit at about 400hp where it lifts the head.

Get ready for Instgram posts crying about weak pistons in the futurewhen it's really due to poor fuel and bad tuning.

But did you consider fewer head studs to stretch?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Twerk from Home posted:

Speaking of fuel economy and engines, I haven't seen it quantitatively measured but I've been hearing persistent rumors for years that gas turbo pickups get worse fuel economy towing than the N/A V8s did. Is there any concrete evidence of that? Is downsizing and turbocharging all based on lies? The worst offender seems like GM's new 4-cylinder truck engine, which is apparently less efficient than the 5.3L V8 in general.

From personal experience with normal driving and towing, there isn't too much difference between the 5.0 V8 and the 2.7 EB in F-150s. Certainly no abysmal difference. The bigger difference was between the 6-speed and 10-speed transmissions. The 10-speed is several percent more efficient, especially towing. The 2.7 is far quieter.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The only modern BMW that doesnt look like crap is the M3 Touring

The M2 looks far better than the M3, Touring or not. At least the M2 styling did away with the hideous double pig-snout grill.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't know if any modern grill looks worse than what Toyota did with the Grand Highlander.

I see you conveniently ignored every Lexus.

My wife's new IS350F isn't bad at all, in fact it looks really good imo, it's the SUVs where it looks huge and hideous

Fair, fair. I glanced at some pictures and could have sworn it was a Camry, so my eyes skipped over it.

antimatt fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Sab669 posted:

I had a '16 Fit with the manual; hated it and sold it in 6 months.

Great appliance for normies who want to be economical, but for anyone who likes cars/driving I don't know how anyone could stomach such a boring thing.

I too had a '15 with a manual and had the exact opposite thoughts about it. You could merge onto the freeway WFO, shifting at the limiter and not break the law (much). It was one of the best shifting transaxles I've driven in a long time.

I traded it in on a BRZ and later I wished I had both cars. To each their own!