Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Every time I hear the opening theme of The Loud House the lyric “dodging girls like ping pong balls” bothers me just a little bit more. Why ping pong balls? Is that a thing people dodge regularly!?

Circumstances forced me to watch a bunch of this show because it was like either this or reruns of Pawn Stars and I've been very interested in your reviews which largely match up with my recollection. I know it's an episodic show for kids but I still really hate how they toss out character development for gags. Like clearly Lincoln and, say, Luna are close (they all have moments to show they love each other, which is nice and is not something you always get in these types of shows) but they will absolutely just turn her into 'background sister C angry that Lincoln has a reasonable request' and it's a bit annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Final Rating: Bad (worst episode so far)

It also goes to show a lot of the writers have little idea what to do with the supporting cast other than falling back on 'has music/sports/joke/etc shtick.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

One of the things I remember about Kuhio is that he supposedly said that whenever he runs out of ideas, he makes up new characters. And it's sorta telling as arcs go on. That said, he is a pretty good character designer and artist

Apparently making new characters was the only thing his editor liked him doing. They didn't seem to get along much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

speaking of which, apologies for the possibly dumb, answered very early in the series question, but are the people in the soul society....dead? or are they people born of that particular realm?

IIRC, nobody is 'born' into the Soul Society, it's all people who died. You just lose your memory when you die so you're often taken in and 'raised' by somebody. If you're lucky it's one of the fancy noble houses.

Although having said that, it's entirely possible people were 'born' in the Soul Society knowing the loose approach Bleach took to its own continuity.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rudoku posted:

Some are born ghosts. Rukia and Renji's kid, is one.

Oh, right. Still weird they wound up together to me on some level.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Final thoughts: Lincoln really needs to get better at lying to his family. There were several parts of this episode where a better lie could have gotten him out of the whole mess scott free. Hell, when the bike got stolen all he had to do what keep his mouth shut and nobody would have realized that he was the one who took it.

I wonder how much of the 'meh' stuff is the result of Savino's influence and if the show got better after he left.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mister Beeg posted:

Yeh, like I said language/cultural barriers lead to odd stuff like this.

A while back I talked to a guy who directed episodes of "Doug" for Nickelodeon back in the day. This was his first time he dealt with overseas production (before that he worked on in-house productions where all the animators were in the same area), and it was a learning experience for him. He recalled adding a note to the animators "Doug and Skeeter exit the scene like Jack Benny", only to get a note back "Who the hell is Jack Benny?" from the Korean studio.

It took a bit to work out the kinks with directing the animators in the other side of the world.

This is one of those subjects about animation production I'm fascinated by, mainly because we don't actually know much about what goes on in overseas studios. So I love hearing these stories.

It's not a kids show but there was some great stories about that sort of thing on the commentary track from the extremely short-lived Clerks cartoon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

cosigned

the clerks cartoon is leagues ahead of everything else that he's been a part of and it's not even close.

I put that down to his co-showrunner whose name escapes me but had a lot of sitcom experience. I think even with Seinfeld.

Clerk's art style is great, too. The art head went on to do Kim Possible.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

Is this show some guys therapy?

Chris Savino says that it pulls a lot from also growing up in a big household that was always referred to as "the loud house" by neighbors because he had like eight siblings.

Savino was also ousted from the show for sexual harassment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

I’m pretty sure they’re thinking of a particularly notorious episode called “No such luck”

I haven't seen that one but the synopsis sounds horrific.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Themes and morals: For what it's worth the basic premise is actually kind of a fun concept. The question of how much of an effect others have on one's own personality is interesting and the general outline for the episode is pretty decent stance on the topic I think, even if it's not explored terribly deeply and is bogged down with a boring execution and a painful ending. That said, I wish the show had shown that some of Lincoln's interests stuck with her in the end because it's implied that all of Lincoln's efforts were in vain which isn't quite how kids work. They'll keep their own interests AND absorb a few of yours in the process. Plus Lincoln's time spent with the baby, though cynically motivated, was a sincere attempt on his part to bond with her and it would be nice to see that rewarded even if only a little bit.

What's kind of irritating is a lot of his sisters seem more than willing to hang out with him and do stuff (Luna, Lynn, Leni*) except when they inexplicably don't and not in a 'teenager mood swing sort of way. It would also have been nice to realize that Lincoln had picked up some of his sisters' interests along the way, not to their extent, but it's the reason he really digs riding his bike or something.

*Fun fact, Leni is named such after Lenny from Of Mice and Men so that's... nice. Yeesh.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

It’s… complicated. Some aspects of the show are fantastic and there are a decent number of episodes that are pretty fun but other aspects (particularly the writing) are a real mixed bag. It’s a bit like playing Russian roulette in cartoon form tbh. You’re never quite sure what you’re in for when you start up an episode. It makes for an interesting experience if nothing else.

Sooo… I guess check it out if that sounds like your kind of thing.

How's the The Casagrandes spin-off?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

so since i started rewatching bleach, i figured i might as well do the same for its fellow behemoth shonen series of the same age: naruto. i stopped watching bleach long before the series finished, so i never got a chance to see much of the bad bleach episodes. naruto's a different matter as i saw much further than i did with bleach so i got to experience some of bad naruto.

but man, lemme tell ya, as bad as it became, those first several episodes bring me back. it seemed like such an interesting show with so much potential. i genuinely enjoyed it at first, and even knowing what i know now about how it will go, those first few arcs, particularly with zabuza and haku, are legit great imo.

Naruto bounced around in quality but it kinda sorta stuck its landing more than Bleach did. (That is a low bar.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Final Rating: Eh.

This is one of the episodes that I finally started to get there was just never going to be any even episode arcs for characters. I think Lincoln is right in between Lynn and Lucy in age so it would make sense he's closest to them but just... eh.

(It was funny seeing a Dutch oven on TV, I can't lie.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cartoons123 posted:

I described the Loud House as a show you watch passively, a very “Mid” sort of show. If you were to put it in a lineup with similar-ish family/kid shows like Craig of the Creek, Big City Greens, that one Nick Pony show that no one talked about and died quietly, it would stand out the least, even though it is probably the most popular out of all of them (although that popularity might be waning a bit these days, not sure, but the former two shows are def popular too

I watched it because it was the most acceptable background noise at the time. It honestly was this or reruns of Pawn Stars and it cleared that very low bar. Sort of.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

The first season is definitely a "finding their footing" thing since Bob just racks up loss after loss. But it's also less whacky with their finances (we can't afford rent / let's just buy a new couch and then just lose it) and the animation is a little more funny if less technically "good"

Was it the first season who established that Bob is in fact a really good chef (especially regarding hamburgers)?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

wonder if that means the Live Action CW PPG show is dead now?

Yeah, I think that... interesting script leaking and Chloe Bennett ditching the project spelled the end.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Final Rating: Bad.

This was my first episode I believe, and I figured if they were all like this then the serious wouldn't be objectionable. Sadly, I was a little off there. I know Luna's thing is rock (until it's just 'is musical savant' in some episodes) but the weird focus on the Mick Jagger and KISS makes it feel like those are the only rock bands the writers know. Which does lead to something funny later when she gets her own full-length episode about not wanting to sell out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is a little odd everybody gets so excited over a quarter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

The Ducktales reboot was good at least (in fact I kind of liked it better than the 80’s show) and while the new Animaniacs can be sort of hit or miss (but then again you could probably say the same about the original to a degree) I’ve had fun with it so far.

A lot of folks do forget - and this isn't a slight - how weird the Animaniacs show was when you tell them about it now. One regular sequence being an extended Goodfellas parody (the kids love Marty!) is wild. I remember one bit that the 'joke' was the Warners were annoyed at being pestered to take a survey about George Wendt, also a bit hit with the youth of the 90's.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Apparently the original plan was to use instrumental versions of the GWAR songs but the original masters of those songs were unusable so they called up GWAR to just straight re-record them.

That is both hilarious and on brand for GWAR.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I liked the vaguely Airbender-inspired reboot. Got cancelled because of that drastic turn away from action cartoons, sadly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

I know there was A Big Plan for Gargoyles but it's really hard to think how you top the original.

The number of spinoffs Weisman had for the show are mind-boggling. I'm not super high on what he's done with Young Justice but I do enjoy the franchise so I'm sure I'll give it a look.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Final Rating: Good

This one sort of hit home because I'm an only child and when I'd go spend the night at a friend's who had a lot of siblings they were all inexplicably happy to see me as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Space Robot posted:

They could just change the "no relation" joke to meaning they aren't related to Bugs Bunny.

I always thought that's what the joke was referring to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

I wish I had more time to rewatch Gargoyles. :( See if it holds up. Maybe my next project once my son finishes Avatar.

I still enjoyed it quite a bit even if I'm not quite as enamored of Xanatos as I used to be (but he's not nearly as bad as Weisman would get with the "just as planned" thing on Young Justice), even if it gets a little rocky around the World Tour. Mostly because I start to miss the rest of the cast.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

World Tour was cool but yeah major drag. The payoff, though?? :discourse:

Agreed, although it was kind of a slog getting there. In hindsight it's all just the Potential Spin-Off Carousel. (I know one or two made it to comic form but they didn't do much for me.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

one of the other noteworthy things upon my rewatch of Gargoyles is just how well some of the episodes are animated. some are definitely stinkers that even hired F-tier houses like kennedy, but others are just downright impressive, like they gave it some real budget. especially for an action oriented series in the 90s. it's the only one of its kind that i can recall that could compete with batman: tas and superman: tas in that department.

Yeah, it's always jarring when you get some really lush looking animation along the lines of BTAS in Gargoyles and then you get... not that. Although the biggest jarring example I can think of was as a kid thinking everything in the Thundercats cartoon looked like the opening and boy howdy was that not true.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

so like...what's going on with hbo max? is it in danger of shutting down? cause i haven't finished watching static shock, justice league and the boondocks yet D:

New owners are having what amounts to a full blown purge. The boss is super against scripted content or, as we call it, 'fiction.' Stuff that's finished is probably safe, even though Max already likes to take stuff out of rotation even though they own it. New stuff, especially animation which is for dumb babies, is probably not going to happen for the foreseeable. It's going to be folded into Discovery+ and who knows what comes out the other side.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

is the 2003 tmnt show actually as cool as i remember it being?

I don't think it's up there with 2012 but it's pretty good. I really enjoyed its 'Turtles from the different eras meet' episode, even if they couldn't get the original voice actors like the Nick one could. (One admittedly already close at hand.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

Lol, people think being a show runner is some exalted position but as far as the money guys are concerned a director is just another office drone. Listening to them talk about their jobs is hilarious because they deal with a ton of the same banal middle management bullshit that I do, just, you know, entertainment industry-ishly.

Also Ian J's job has been done for a while. He's not going to be kept in the loop.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now I'm depressed that Megas, a show so laser-targeted at me it's no wonder it got cancelled, was cancelled. Again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Yes, remember this all started with them shelving Batgirl and a finished Scooby-Doo movie for the tax credits

I assume it has to do with Hollywood accounting so movies that are a hit can be shown aren't in fact hits and thus studios don't need to pay taxes on them, or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

readingatwork posted:

I had the same problem. It turns out good shows are actually much harder to review than bad ones because there’s just not that much to talk about. It’s basically episode after episode of “This show did X and it was good. No notes”.

It's along the same lines as why very early on MST3K decided not to do comedies. There's only so many ways to say the joke didn't land.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

I mean, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least but is there a more reliable source out there that backs this up?

Apparently Cosmic News is just a 'swipe from other accounts' clickbait type account. Cartoon Brew goes into more detail about what the numbers mean. There's a short thread.

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1561794841499078657?s=21&t=M_71tLyWMPnInqVOz4zbzA

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Turner also had an interest in the MGM catalog because he was a proponent of early film Colorization.

Probably not a bad idea if you figure you can get a new audience into Bewitched or Gilligan's Island with some lovely computer tints.

I'm old enough to remember when that was the big outcry. Almost quaint, really.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Also Joel Hodgson plays a reoccurring character on SU which is awesome (I actually wasn't aware he'd done other acting roles outside of MST3K)

He did a couple of fun guest shots on Freaks and Geeks back in the day.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Though it was kind of hilariously telling that that trailer was 90% Jack Black having a blast as Bowser, 5% Keegan Michael Key selling you on the idea that he could play Toad, and then 2.5% Chris Pratt's Mario with the remainder being the penguins.

I honestly didn't realize that was Black as King Koopa at first.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The penguins were great, too.

And don't forget Luigi.

The penguin king was voiced by Khary Payton if you want proof of hiring a VA to do a VA's job.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mostly I saw people being puzzled over Leo not being 'the leader.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

after watching zombie island, i'm on a bit of a scooby doo bender myself. currently watching scooby doo! camp scare. it's not particularly amazing but that's totally fine as i'm still enjoying it. a lot of these SD films are enjoyable just in the comfort food sense.

Camp Scare is fun, but I can't help but feel whomever did Daphne's design for the flick was in a thirsty mood.