Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Artelier posted:

Just found this thread after binging Infinity Train seasons 1 to 4. What a ride. Is there anything quite like it?

In the past few months I also watched Owl House (also great), if that helps.

Over the Garden Wall.

It's short like a season of Infinity Train (10 episodes of 10-12min each) and has a lot of interesting banter between characters wandering through a "Wonderland" type scenario. And the voice cast is absurdly stacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFR1fP384MY

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

readingatwork posted:

I can’t speak for Ben 10 but I distinctly remember that Teen Titans was the first show to overtly try and do what anime had been doing up to that point.

:colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exosquad

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Funky Valentine posted:

Justice League Unlimited got their own time powers villain which resulted in crossing over with Batman Beyond (with bonus Old Static), meeting Jonah Hex and a bunch of Golden Age western comics characters, and the only appearance of Hal Jordan in the DCAU thanks to a time paradox.

In the end the time villain locks himself into a 30 second time loop for eternity where his wife bitches at him.

And not by just anybody. She's voiced by Mindy Sterling (who was also Lin Beifong) :eng101:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Asgerd posted:

That's too much, man!

:smith:

Awww. I was having such a good day, too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

loving :getin:!

That was way more hype than I was expecting.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Gaz-L posted:

Gargoyles first.

Only if you can get the original VA cast. What're the TNG folks doing now-a-days?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Someone needs to make an Owl House thread. The walls of spoiler text are getting obnoxious.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo season 2 was a step down from season 1.

Except for the finale holy poo poo that was good.

This is pretty much my take on it. There was a whole lot of wheel spinning in season 2. The songs weren't nearly as good. And the fandom episode, especially, was straight up cringe. But the finale was bonkers good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gandlethorpe posted:

I read a lot of harsh words for the birdtaur episode, but that was one of my favorites, lol. I love when shows take a piss on fanbases.

I too love it when shows take the piss out of fandom. But even I found that episode boring and cringey. It just wasn't a good story, and the references/analogues were a bit too on-the-nose and dating.

That said, I wasn't really into the gimmick of Comfortable Doug in S1, but cranking it up to 11 in S2 is somehow what turned me around on the tooniest of the toon characters in the show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

Big O is one of those rare anime series where the English dub works better than the original Japanese

Big O’s second season was greenlit almost entirely off the positive response it got from western audiences. I’m pretty sure it was the first anime for that to be the case sans maybe Pokémon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I don’t think I ever watched the 90’s cartoon. Does it still hold up at all?

The Carmen Sandiego cartoon ranks up there with King Arthur and the Knights of Justice as kids shows with unreasonably hype OPs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I don't need to see any actual footage. This is going to implode so hard.

And that makes me sad. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MonsterEnvy posted:

On the Superman opening trying to identify the villains.

The left is Silver Banshee, Rough House, and Intergang. Don't know who power armor guy on the left is. That is undoubtedly Waller next to Intergang. Don't know who Skullguy with Swords is. The armored person with electric hands could be Livewire. Mechanical Kaiju thing could be Metallo. Big face on the right is Mxyzptlk. I am guessing shadow in the back is Brainiac. Superman look alike in the center could be Eradicator or Cyborg Superman. Surprised no Lex.

Considering the armored dude, I think it would be neat if they revisited Corey Mills from Superman TAS (i.e. Prototype armor) considering the cultural shift re: law enforcement over the last 30 years.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Captain Oblivious posted:

My only beef with the new Superman show is that I can’t find a streaming site to watch episode 2 as I do not have cable :argh:

Also the blue electricity eyes power up is a little weird but nbd

Both episodes are on Max (at least in the US).

I never watched TTG. Did they ever do a Deathstroke censor joke? I can imagine them calling him different comedy versions of his name like Le’MorteAneurism or 死脳出血.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I AM GRANDO posted:

He doesn’t invite speculation about a secret identity because he doesn’t wear a mask, he’s always out doing stuff during the day, and he has a house at the south pole. It would be like thinking Keanu Reeves has a secret identity. Batman plants the idea in your head by being so mysterious about everything. If you don’t wear a mask, most people would never think of it.

Plus, how many people have seen Superman up-close? He’s a white guy with black hair a big chin. There are probably memes about how he looks like Clark Kent and a dozen other vaguely notable people, but because they’re generic white guys. Bruce Wayne kind of looks like Superman too.

How many stories have include Bruce and Clark cosplaying as each other? I know did it at least twice in the TAS shows.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The whole Late Mr. Kent episode in the animated series about a guy blowing up Clark because he was investigating too hard, and then Superman has to figure out how to deal with Clark being apparently dead.

We were just discussing that in the BSS animation thread. It's one of the best Superman: TAS episodes and has a super dark ending where the killer is sitting in a gas execution chamber after being convicted wondering how the hell Clark survived the car bomb when he realizes Clark's Superman right as they pull the lever.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PhazonLink posted:

also the episode makes it seems like the governor of whatever state Metropolises is in just fast tracks the dirty cop's execution.

Gov : oh drat he tried to kill Clark! Kill him!
Perry : Hey Clark! Wanna write the front page article about that guy getting executed tonight?

There's no indication of time passed between arresting him and executing him. That said, if it really was like a real life death sentence where you're on death row for years before being put in the chair, that makes the final realization even funnier.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

How is that show anyway? I haven’t actually watched it but I’m considering it

First season is great. Second season meanders a bit but it pretty good. Third season's first half is kind of dogshit but quickly regains its footing for the back half.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

So is it primarily a Batman themed comedy series or is there more to it than that?

Yeah, basically. But it has serialized storytelling and is very acerbic/tongue-in-check with its characterization, references and pop culture stuff. A lot of people compare it to Venture Brothers, but the writing isn't nearly as tight.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
If I had Ryan Reynolds money, I would bring back Exo Squad and fund Venture Brothers in perpetuity. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Funky Valentine posted:

TT '03 is the one time Slade has been genuinely cool and it's because they jettisoned all the parts of comics!Slade that made him deeply pathetic.

I actually liked Arrow's Deathstroke. At least for the season or so he was there before I dropped the show. Also, I couldn't for the life of me tell you why or really provide any details other than he was friends with Ollie before feeling betrayed. I just don't get an immediate revulsion reaction when thinking about it. :v:

Dawgstar posted:

Young Justice is one of those shows where its reach exceeds its grasp. Bouncing around a timeline is fine but you need a good, coherent story you could take a step back and look at when it's all said and done. YJ might be coherent but it's not really good. The first season really suffers from having to be set up and some truly awful attempts at dialogue even if you have things like "Hello, Megan!" which Weisman promised would pay off - and I don't know if it's a pay off because those are rewarding but it was at least explained - but was still kind of obnoxious to hear. You also had what might be the height of the... "Zanatos Gambit" from its originator in that nothing the team did seemed to matter because all the setbacks were all according to keikaku for the bad guys.

Then you have a timeskip which is fine on its own but they also introduce like a dozen more characters and the show never really bothers to spend enough time to develop them save maybe one or two because it bounces between different groups and multiple plot threads that sort of tie up at the end and the season ending in two is not bad but I don't think it's worth the trip. Also calling the team "The Team" is dumb. You can call them Young Justice. It's fine, Greg.

Which brings us to the third season which was just meandering and frustrating, introducing yet more characters and these might be the least interesting of the bunch! Some characters spend most of their time just kinda traumatized and the show makes some effort to talk about mental health which is an admirable goal but it falls flat. They also mess up one of my favorite character's origins for the sake of the cartoon but that's strictly a personal beef with the show.

All those words aside, I'd watch YJ until you start to dislike it because wherever it is it probably won't get better from there.

See, I never really had the problem with the Zanatos Gambit style of story telling because the reality of writing super hero punch'em-ups is that you're walking a fine line between making the bad guys seem threatening and making the good guys (who are meant to be kids new to heading off on their own) seem incompetent. And I always felt the claim that it was all according to keikaku was a bit overblow. Yeah, the Light's overarching plan kept going despite the Team's "victories", but I always considered that more a function of them being a functional organization able to plan out multiple COAs, unlike the inherent disfunction of a lot of DC villain team-ups. There are plenty of examples where the Team causes a legitimate setback, but they're not working with enough information to fully capitalize on it. (Though, I do admit that various parts of "the plan" are unnecessarily convoluted for story telling purposes.) The Light expected the pushback, but they have enough stop gaps, feints, and back-ups in place that they can still continue with their main goal.

But really, though. I just like how they made Sportsmaster mega competent :v:, and that whole family dynamic is probably the most interesting part of the show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

koolkal posted:

They definitely get a lot of mileage out of their janky models combined with some amazing "camera work".

https://i.imgur.com/NJ4PUBJ.mp4

Getting tempted to re-watch it lol

Do it. I did a rewatch earlier this year with those 4k upscales on youtube. So awesome. :allears:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've realized. I really don't like General Lane's design in MAWS. I can't tell half of time if that is supposed to be his hair or a lovely garrison cap. And the 15-year-old mustache look is just....bleh.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neeksy posted:

Bucky O'Hare reboot sits in the corner, gathering dust.

Give me EXO Squad, you neanderthals!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yeah, I heard about this on the radio today.

Oxxidation posted:

loving god dammit

And this is exactly what I said. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Tiny Toons reboot eps 1 initial impression:

The new voices were jarring at first, but I got used to them by the end. I'm still holding judgement on the new character dynamics. Plucky being the self-obsessed drama kid is probably my least favorite. It's like they took the more egotistical side to the original and cranked it up to 11 by making him well-off and actually talented instead of the sad, pathetic wannabe. But of course, it's only the first episode, so I wouldn't be surprised if he mellows out in a few.

Making Babs and Buster actually twins in defiance of the original theme is...new, and making it the lynchpin of the entire first episode plot was certainly a choice. :mad:

It got a few laughs out of me, so I can't completely fault it. But even moreso than the Animaniacs reboot, this kind of shook me into realizing I'm just not the audience anymore for this poo poo.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Das Boo posted:

I seem to remember TT skewing a little younger than Animaniacs, but I really wasn't expecting that to hold true after the decision to age them up to university. I'm a little confused- Is this meant to be for new kids, or old fans? I guess I just assumed the latter a la DuckTales, so that's on me.

I found it direly unfunny, sorry to say. I know the crew worked very hard and is very proud of it, but it's really not my thing.

I'm five episodes in, and I think I've figured out why I'm bouncing off this so hard.

It's written like a sitcom. It isn't written like an actual toon show. Part of the beauty of all the toon shows up to Freakazoid was their leaning into the six-to-twelve minute format. It allows focus on a particular theme or framework while forcing the script to be lean and dense. The reboot episodes are all 22 minute long deals with two or three meandering, overlapping plots. The jokes don't feel snappy. And the only sense of mania you get is by jumping between plot threads instead of something that occurs naturally from the scripting.

There are a number of other issues, but I think that's the main one. The largest secondary issue, I feel, is that it is immensely obvious the writers wanted to insert a whole lot of direct political/social commentary (which they get away with once or twice an episode), but it's pretty clear they just don't have the chops to do it well or with any subtlety. The episode two or three bit with Taz flashing his "political cartoon" was indicative of where the show wanted to be vs where the show was allowed to go.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cartoons123 posted:

Honestly, I'm not really getting political commentary from the show, beyond that one quick gag most of it has been situational comedy. But otherwise yeah, Sitcom Writing is a skill, if you're writing for that you have to make sure the plots are interesting and the jokes are decent enough to hit. Looney Tunes Show is (funny enough) the closest comparison, and while it wasn't perfect, I felt like it had the cadence down better than Looniversity does. Which I guess in a way, is kinda exactly like Tiny Toons compared to the original Looney Tunes it was meant to crib from so honestly, one to one adaptation

Oh, no. I didn't say there was a lot. I'm saying its obvious the writers wanted there to be. There are more than a few direct digs at capitalism (under the breath one-liners). Hell, they even make a joke about tuition costs in the opening song.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The best Tiny Toons episodes will always be the music video parody episodes and the banned one where Buster, Hampton, and Plucky kill themselves by drunk driving.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Come And See posted:

Also, the truest and most correct descriptor for anime is trash.

I love trash! Nom nom nom! Trashy trash trash!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a cartoon of Eisenhower or Truman like there are of Bush or Clinton. There's an episode where they just run into Dan Quayle, what the hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HibHeY4UiPU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

And Ted Turner threw around a lot of his influence trying to make his show to preach morals regardless of his lack of having much morals to actually preach, so he got a lot of big name celebrities on the show to help carry it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVzLzClY2E8

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The only Steven Universe question that matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuDyfx-fn6U

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

I'm willing to let it slide since its a show made and set in the 90's, I imagine if this live action show actually does get made they'll give her a new job instead

But then we wouldn't get an episode about Brooklyn shooting her with her own gun.

Honestly, make her a firefighter or paramedic and you wouldn't lose much.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh, right. My point stands.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The last season of JLU was amazing because it showed the flexibility of the writers room. They were 90% sure they were getting cancelled after the first season which is why it wraps up with the Batman Beyond finale. But instead of just blindly holding course and going "even harder" after getting a surprise green light for another 13 episodes, they go "gently caress it" and retool the show in a silver-age direction while still deftly maintaining the character development of the previous 3 seasons of JL.

Also, it gave us the world of cardboard speech. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

People complain about Superman wantonly destroying buildings in Man of Steel, which he doesn't do, but everybody loves world of cardboard speech, where he actually does destroy multiple seemingly fully operational skyscrapers because Darkseid can take it

It's because Superman is sad in Man of Steel while buildings fall around him.
JLU Superman is all "suck on my fist!" Also, he doesn't actually topple anything. Darkseid just flies through four or five buildings, then flattened into a street intersection. It's obvious Supes saw those floors were empty on a Sunday morning. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I would listen Michael Ironside pontificating villainously all day. :allears:
And Clancy Brown. Too bad their back-and-forth was so short.