Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CK07 posted:

General cosmere mechanics, mistborn Era 1: Do we know if shard-tuned Investiture like stormlight or God metals will return to its source, if it's used in space or on another planet or something? I wonder if shipping all the stormlight off roshar would eventually make for an energy crisis as the Investiture just kinda hung around bouncing aimlessly through an asteroid belt or something. Because it is finite, this we know. I can imagine a scenario where the characters don't find out about that effect for generations, leading to a war for increasingly scarce resources between Scadrial and Roshar.

There's no location in the Spiritual Realm, which is the source the investiture returns to, so that's all irrelevant. Also, investiture is not finite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is there a shard that hates mondays?

Their invested art is powered by eating lasagna.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

pointlessone posted:

Is it close enough to start taking bets on if the rest of the hard copies of Tess show up before ebook #2?

Because while I don't doubt it will eventually show up, I have doubts on the timing.

The White Sand omnibus came out, anything is possible.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Elantris has two sequels in the Spiritual Realm.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Tunzie posted:

I believe the current plan is for a proper Mistborn trilogy (urban era) after Stormlight 5, then returning to SA 6. I fully expect Warbreaker and Elantris sequels to be the next books on his plate after that, probably as his ‘break’ after SA6 (also, he’s probably sneaking more Kickstarter-related novellas in along the way).

No, he's said that he's going to switch off between writing Mistborn Era 3 and the Elantris sequels. SA6 is after that and Warbreaker sequel is ????.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

For the record, the clues are that Hoid mockingly calls Thaidakar "The Lord of Scars" and notes that, if this uppity behavior continues, he may have to go administer another rear end-kicking. The list of people whom Hoid has beat up has exactly one name on it.

General Cosmere spoilers., don't hover if not caught up:It's two names, but the chances of Thaidakar being Adonalsium were pretty low.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

What if there was a whole SA book that was an info dump with no plot or anything

I too have read Rhythm of War!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Mordiceius posted:

While listening today, I came to a realization.

Shardblades are Brandon's version of keyblades.

I assume that shardblades used to be more prominent back in the before-times.

When are we going to the Shardblade graveyard?

Brandon was asked about this directly:
"Shardblades aren't inspired by keyblades specifically, though there is a core inspiration that might be shared by both myself and the creators. While I did play the first kingdom hearts game when it came out, the first draft of The Way of Kings was well under way when the game was released.

However, I did play all of the final fantasy games--I had the first on original Nintendo, so get off my lawn, you kids. The origin of Shardblades relates to fantasy games and art in general, and the concept of the stylized sword which is also horribly impractical.

In a lot of my writing, I react toward or against the fantasy archetypes of my youth in the 80s and 90s. When designing the Stormlight Archive, one of the things I asked myself was, "Can I make a situation where these oversized, over-stylized blades are actually practical? Why in the world would you need a weapon like that? And how do you actually use one?"

(Not sure if you two actually know about this mechanic at this point or not so spoiling last sentence just in case but it's a minor thing about how shardblades work)
Making the blades summonable seemed one of the only ways that carrying one around would be reasonable."

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Tarah is still out there if he must have a love interest.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

Far. The deaf guy's magic slate is a Scadrian tablet with Awakened circuits. That means that Scadrial has advanced to a technology level at least contemporary with ours. Also there seems to be a lot of cross-polination going on; everyone's Awakening their stuff, the Elantrian ship has Lightweavings. Either Tress or Sixth is the last book chronologically so far.

Future Cosmere spoilersThe rocket ship in Tress seems way more advanced compared to the two space travel examples we see in Sixth of steelpushing off a planet or just flying through space in Shardplate so I assume Tress is much further.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

eke out posted:

he's also probably got at least someone that could make a play for the outstanding honorblades the Shin have, if he doesn't have some among his agents already, which could be pretty terrifying force multipliers.

Future Stormlight The Shin already only have half of the honorblades left. Ishar and Nale have theirs, Jezrien’s is with Moash, Taln’s is ???, and since Taln initially had his Honorblade, Chana’s presumably would’ve poofed back to her when she returned and caused the desolation.

So the blades left with the Shin as far as we know are Edgedancer, Truthwatcher, Lightweaver, Elsecaller, and Willshaper. All the support classes. This also means that absent any radiants, the Shin have lost access to Adhesion, Gravitation, Division, Cohesion, and Tension.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
I know Wax is supposed to be tall dark and brooding, but my mental images for Wax & Wayne are David Spade and Chris Farley in Tommyboy.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Anshu posted:

[Full Stormlight to date] You, and all the rest of us.

Full Stormlight The back half are supposed to have a lot more Herald info in them, but it is weird that all the male Heralds are pretty active in the plot while two of the women are just chilling in the Palanaeum and there's zero info on Vedel's whereabouts whatsoever.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

(Stormlight speculation, still, but don't read it unless you're caught up)The sum of the evidence is:
  • WoB that Chana has appeared on screen at least once and at least one of our characters has met her.
  • Shallan's mother goes conspicuously nameless despite the rest of her family being named.
  • Shallan's mother had known contact with the Skybreakers -- why was Nale taking note of a random minor Veden noblewoman?
  • Shallan is extremely interesting to the Cryptics. They bond her early, and when she kills her spren, they send another one -- and Pattern expected to die too, and he believes that in that event, they'll send another spren to her.
  • Shallan's mother always had mental problems.
  • Said problems kick into overdrive when she sees that her daughter has become Radiant, driving her into homicidal fury.
  • Chana and Shallan show a clear physical resemblance.
  • The timeline lunatics worked it out and Shallan kills her mother the same week of Gavilar's assassination. We see the "Stormfather" react to a Herald dying on the same night that Gavilar is assassinated. IMO, the rest are coincidental, but this one is the keystone that locks the rest in place. It's not Taln, Jezrien, Nale, Shalash, Kalak, Ishar, or Battar. It can only be Chana, Vedel, or Paliah. So, gosh. A female herald dies the night of Gavilar's assassination and, just by sheer coincidence, we also know about a crazy red-haired woman who's murdered right exactly then. If that's not related, it's one hell of a headfake.

Full Stormlight It can’t be Paliah, she’s in Way of Kings.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
The original graphic novel version is best because it's the only one with the boombox. They "corrected" the artist error later instead of simply canonizing that Taldain is the DJ planet.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Mordiceius posted:

Also - Shardblades are basically just Brandon doing lightsabers, aren't they.

IIRC the specific impetus was "How would carrying around the Buster Sword actually work?"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Louisgod posted:

It doesn't help when you have no context for what a Lashing even is and I remember reading the opening and thinking "oh since this thing is capitalized it must be important magic",

And then he went and made intent and Intent separate magical concepts.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

Regarding Shallan: I've always called what happens to her "Magically-supercharged DID" and I'm sticking by that. I understand Sanderson wanting to back off a bit, but... no, she's got DID, she's responding to childhood trauma and an extremely disfunctional upbringing by creating alters and using them as psychological defense mechanisms. It's a textbook case, just a million times worse because it turns out that giving the power to rewrite truth at will to a woman with those issues is just the worst thing possible, throwing gasoline onto a fire.

Stormlight 5 theory/speculation spoilers Also if her mom is Chana there could also be a level of being extra susceptible to having her self molded by thought and perception due to being half Cognitive Shadow.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Taffer posted:

Oh, also! (SP4 spoilers) how does the shardplate work? In RoW it seems very clear that the shardplate is formed from nearby spren - windspren, in kaladin's case - either just hanging around naturally or summoned by Investiture by the radiant. But it seems like that's because they're on Roshar. Spren are around, the splinters of honor are around, because that's where he died. If Sigzil can summon plate on some other planet, and he did not seem to bring any other spren with him (what kind of spren make the shardplate of skybreakers?), how did that happen? And why did the look of the armor change to something more akin to fire or charred? On one hand it seems like it's related to his Connection to the planet and the people there, but that doesn't seem to make sense if the armor is formed from spren. Are spren turning into shardplate just a local manifestation of how investiture works on Roshar? Is knowing how to make shardplate from investiture just some kind of thing that gets written onto the soul-web or whatever of people from Roshar with the Nahel Bond?

And if Aux was the source of surges and the ability to summon plate, how did Aux's death not take away access to shardplate the same way it took away access to surges?

That's a confusing jumble of words but hopefully someone has some answers or theories.

SP4 spoilers There’s a WOB that you have to be on Roshar to summon Shardplate for the first time, but once it’s been initially formed you can do it from wherever. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/504-new-york-comic-con-2022/#e15786

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Lost Metal spoils a one sentence throwaway vague reference at the very end of Rhythm of War, it’s really not a big deal.

RoW spoilers You can intuit who Thaidakar is from Lord of Scars and Wit’s threat to slap him around again since there’s only one person Wit has ever hit on screen.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Mordiceius posted:

And again with the epigraphs - with how short part 5 is, I doubt we're going to get a big explanation for these death quotes. They've all been borderline gibberish nonsense. They don't improve the story. They don't affect the characters in any way. Hell, they don't even add much in the way of flavor to the world like the non-connected Interludes do.

None of the death rattles are gibberish.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Barreft posted:

e: I do think it's madness trying to listen to it instead of reading. Brandon uses SO many weird names and capital Nouns for *everything* I think I'd get so frustrated. I'm not sure I'd ever be able to listen to Stormlight esp when the only ones I've liked were WOR, Oathbringer, & Edgedancer/Dawnshard

Mordiceius is just a devout Vorin man and needs everything dictated.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Tunicate posted:

WoB is that mistborn can use their powers with any metals from any planet

Minor WoR spoilers Mord do not read or have read to you by your wife or scribeWe see Hoid use emotional allomancy with Rosharan metals in Shallan's flashback.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

socialsecurity posted:

Pretty sure it's all a skill thing.

It's because (Oathbringer spoilers) the Heralds are all ancient aliens.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
(WOR) Ishishach 1173 never forget :911:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

pik_d posted:

gently caress Moash

These words are accepted.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Looking forward to buying Stormlight 10 with my social security check.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Grundulum posted:

Do we know (or can we piece together) the history of the flute yet?

Only if you physically go to BYU to read Brandon’s thesis.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
You’re both wrong, the worst book in the Stormlight Archive is The Book of Endless Pages. No plot, just goes on forever.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

I've got some thoughts on where the cosmere could be going, I don't think it would happen in Stormlight 5 but its just where I kinda see the series heading at some point

Up to date cosmere spoilers: So we know there's a lot of Scadrian/Rosharan tension going on and conflict between them feels kinda inevitable at this point.Taravangian as Odium is going to be a lot of fun which is why I think he's going to survive and pull off at least a partial victory in SA5. I feel like the back half of the SA is going to have Odium and Honor combine into War with Dalinar as shardbearer, and this is going to set the stage for War/Roshar vs Discord/Scadrial. Sazed and Dalinar are both good dudes and depending on how far into the future the cosmere goes after SA2/the next Mistborn era there's plenty of time for them both to be changed or corrupted by their shards as we've already see happen with Sazed. It sets up a fun conflict dynamic, idk if I could see Sanderson turning either of them into outright villains but that's an option and you've also got them teaming up against Autonomy.

Future Cosmere speculation: Since we're probably going to have Discord and War, do y'all think any other Shards will combine to oppose them? I feel like there's too much obvious Autonomy setup for her to be the final boss and she's going to end up getting ganked by Whimsy or something.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Since we’re going all in on fan theories, I like the Virtuosity theory that (Stormlight/Yumi) the Iriali are the missing Yellow in CMY and Virtuosity became The One and splintered itself as the Cosmere’s ultimate performance art.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Louisgod posted:

Imagining Sanderson finish ASoIAF

Turns out the Seven were all (Cosmere spoilers, new reader don't click) Autonomy avatars the whole time.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

Tell it to his tight butt

His stormwagon.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

big mean giraffe posted:

Unless you've figured out the big clue that breaks that whole bit open
*edit* actually the biggest real confirmation of that theory is SL5 prologue I think, but people had figured it out even before RoW due to some WoBs

As much as I enjoy all the theorycrafting it launched, the reveal that Taln didn't break really should've been in story and not casually tossed out in a WoB.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

well before she needs a Patternblade to kill Tyn with.

WoR/RoW spoilers Tyn was killed with Testament, she had sent Pattern away.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Mordiceius posted:

Specific Wit full Cosmere spoilers - Wit/Hoid was present at the Shattering of Adonalsium. Adonalsium was some cosmic capital G-God or cosmic force. Each piece of Adonalsium was taken up as a "shard" by one of the 16 people who committed the Shattering. Hoid was present but seemingly not pro-Shattering. He is clearly up to things behind the scenes and working to get the invested powers from each Shard. We do not know what his endgame is.

lol "present" is underselling it just a bit.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
There's always another secret project.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Got the "we're funded!" email before the "we're open!" one even came.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

Jesus, maybe I should write a dozen bestselling, incredibly well plotted fantasy novels. Seems like easy money.

Brandon completed two more secret projects while you were writing this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

A Sneaker Broker posted:

If I could, I would place money on him finishing ASOIAF

He's said multiple times that he wouldn't because he's a completely wrong fit tonally and that Joe Abercrombie should do it.