Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

co199 posted:

Is it bad that I know exactly what map that is on the left from a ten second look at it?

Yes, it should only take 3.

Also Brutal Doom a great addon to doom/doom2 that just makes everything more brutal (better if you discover everything for yourself).
Latest beta:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/BrutalGZDoomV10PreReleaseTest2.zip

Works best with GZDoom (file above) and skulltag:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/BrutalDoomV10PreReleaseTest2.zip

Also makes the enemies a bit more deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

New official version of Brutal doom popped up.
http://www.4shared.com/file/bO0zvYUB/brutaldoomv010.html (skulltag)
http://www.4shared.com/file/Mx0W8Cuf/brutalgzdoomv010.html (gzdoom)

Lots of nice changes, including barrel throwing!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Just noticed the new version of Brutal doom is out, this is supposed to be the proper .10 release instead of the buggy .10 initial.
Skulltag
http://www.4shared.com/file/YNp2IssE/BRUTALDOOMV10B.html
GZDOOM
http://www.4shared.com/file/UuhieW22/BRUTALGZDOOMV10B.html

You can pick up the injured imps as meat shields now (they look sort of cute).

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Halls of the Damned, jesus gently caress this level on Ultra-Violence, so many goddamn Pinky demons.

Than they chase you if you accidentally open a closet!!

How'd you get hard edges on the wall blood splats?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Can someone tell me what the 2 bars filling up on the lower left of the Aeod v6 hud mean?

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 13, 2012

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

If the BFG is fired so that multiple balls arrive at the same time will it create all the rays for each ball or are all but the last ball's rays cancelled out?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Angelwolf posted:

Does anyone know why Heretic 2 was made as a 3rd person shooter platformy kind of game? I know it wasn't made by id, but seriously - why take a turn like that?

I still found Heretic 2 kind of enjoyable, but I really hoped for a game much like the original.

Raven soft is (was) a more experimental version of Id they made some top down shooters and a first person car shooter aswell.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 3, 2013

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Eulisker posted:

How about some of the Old Build games like TekWar or Witchaven.

At least TekWar seems pretty bad. No idea how to get them nowadays though.

I eagerly await your write up on TekWar's VR level and how much fun it was to finish without using cheats or walkthroughs (there are no walkthroughs for it btw).

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Jblade posted:

He's helping bug testing of Episode 2 and already picked out a bunch of stuff I missed :v: I can't really stress test my own stuff because I subconsciously don't try things I know won't work.

There's going to be more of this AMC TC mod?
I really liked the horror-ish nature of what I played but it obviously wasn't finished such as the "HUB" level didn't work.

Is there going to be any more WG Siege Breaker mod work too?

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 21, 2014

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

edit

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

SwissCM posted:

I'd love Night Dive to get the rights to Powerslave and port the console version over to the PC, maybe clean it up a bit and add some of the stuff from the Build Engine version. Combine the strengths of all the different versions and make an ultimate edition of the game, essentially.

Only if they put the pixelated boobs from the PC beta back in!
It would be pretty hard to mix the two together, I guess a console nonlinear system on top of the PC's better levels + build engine would be good.

Also what's this "torpedo weapon" mentioned in the new strife release?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It's the second mode of the mauler.

Ok thanks, why does it need a new hud?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It has some good levels too.
It's really just like a outcast level pack where they try different things.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Some good things about Academy.
You can spend your force power points that you get one of after each mission on whatever you like (want lvl 3 grip first? go for it)
Rudimentary ragdoll thing, I don't know what to call it but it sure looks funny.
Kill Jawas
Kill Rosh
Vehicles, id tech 3 vehicles actually.
Lots of stages that are designed for you to chuck guys into lava or pits or acid or electricity.
Concussion rifles.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Sewer bits in L4D/2 were pretty good I think.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Jehde posted:

Kinda telling that your first complaint about an early FPS is the graphics. Instead of taking the time refuting your many objectively wrong opinions, I'm just gonna post this speedrun again that does a lot of it for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LerYJmDLYqU

This is pretty cool but wait, if you get all the secrets on a level you get another force point?! I never knew this.
Also I just wanted to talk about the jedi knight level design again. I'm not sure if it's really bad or good? I thought it was good back when it came out but haven't played it since. What I remember is that the levels were really BIG and not just big as in long but big as in stuff was really BIG compared to other FPS I had played. Big open areas, big drops, big buildings, big crates, Big low poly blocks making up everthing etc. On top of the that there was a lot of verticality and layering in it too. Compared to Quakes confined level design it was pretty impressive at the time (even if quakes smaller levels gave better gameplay).

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And it's a terrible slog right afterwards, too :eng101:

That was a masterful troll by the devs.

"Yay I've got my lightsabre"!

Now do this boring training level

"Yay now a proper level "!

Level full of snipers you can't reach

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Dominic White posted:

This Heretic mod (by the Russian Overkill guy + a team of others) is cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4gJcsjeoA

Akimbo quad-shotguns? Don't mind if I do!

This hardly seems fair on the monsters.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I was wondering, I haven't played BrutalDoom in a long while, is there a thing that changes the mini-gun back to way it was? I didn't like the new thing where mini-gun could keep an enemy standing up and blown apart while protecting the guys behind him I liked it more where the mini-gun could cut through a cluster of fodder enemies in seconds.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

closeted republican posted:

Say hello to the item sprites, circa 2/4/1993.

It's a pity that we never got to see the idea of 31 brown jugs come to fruition.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I'm very impressed by the amount of new sprites that have been made, maybe more here than if you added all the character sprites from every 90s 2.5D game together even?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

RiffRaff1138 posted:

There is one level that looks different from all the rest. In the middle of one of the base levels, you blow something up, and then black out and have a nightmare. It has no lead-up, and once it's over, is never referred to again. It consists of three rooms linked by short hallways, with walls and floors made of faces and bodies, an altar with Reece lying dead on it with a knife in his chest, and a single enemy, a boss battle with a creature that looks like a cyborg lizard with a flayed, screaming human face in its gut.

This is the only thing I remember about that mod, so far as in my mind the whole mod was fighting monsters but I guess I just erased the rest of it.
Play Poke 646 too, I remember it has a gun you reload by feeding it candy and (several ?) nailguns.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

There might already be a thing like this but why isn't there a filter in one of the doom or build engine ports that emulates an analogue display that they were made for like 80/90's console emulators do? Right now you can either have very sharp pixels or mush them with a standard filter but you can't make them look like a 640/480 crt monitor so dithered effects never quite look right.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

fishmech posted:

Because those filters emulate a mediocre 70s or horrible 80s TV run over rf or composite.

Doom never looked like that because your VGA monitor was connected over a very low signal noise connection to a nice and pretty flat if not entirely flat CRT display. Quite simply it looked sharper than it does on modern lcds, due to lack of scaling issues!

Doom does not have dithering effects that rely on smudgy pixel rendering either, dunno where you got that idea?

It wasn't like RF or comp but on my old monitor the pixels definitely bled into each other and I always thought that was how it was supposed to look?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ok and the poor focusing of the electron gun (by magnets right?) is what made our monitor all soft looking? I did get a better monitor but that was after 3d games so I've only seen 2.5 games on that old monitor and LCD ones (and the monochrome monitor we had before that, orange doom is the best doom).

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Bad gun feel was a real major problem with FPS titles of the early and mid 00s. Half-Life 2 and Far Cry were two other titles that I can immediately think of with the same problem.

Soldier of Fortune 2 had some awful gun feel too despite being quite a good game otherwise, you never felt fully in control of the shooting perhaps that's what they were going for. Halo had already demonstrated some excellent gun feel even with some sponge enemies but I guess it was too hard to imitate it correctly.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

far cry 2 will always hold a special place in my heart.

The place where ubisoft hadn't figured out they can sell the same game again every year yet.
Lots of experimental ideas you just don't see from them anymore in it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm with you on that. The running "Can it run Crysis" gag somewhat obscured the fact that it was a high watermark of the "open-ended but not open-world" FPS subgenre. That is to say, linear objectives on very nonlinear maps. Story was generic as hell (like Far Cry) and the aliens were annoying (also like Far Cry) but the overall mission design was top-notch.

Multiplayer was quite enjoyable too, it felt like Z but instead of RTS it was FPS with really pretty graphics and you were only half robotic.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

I think it's the colour palette. In the 256 colour days you had to be choosy and Duke 3D went with a pretty muted selection. The red sector lighting makes it really obvious compared to Doom or Quake which went with very vivid shades of red. From the way it looks, Ion Maiden is going with more or less the same palette as Duke 3D.

Also the way special effects sprites (fire, explosions, blood, etc.) are dynamically scaled is also uniquely Build engine.

Also the weapon and enemy pallet swaps to match the light when you move into the red sector in the pipe.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 17, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YERrs7FYkxo

A interesting video about AvP '99 which goes a bit into how the game managed to end up having it's unique feel of "messy but polished" design when you have limited experience and resources.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

HolyKrap posted:

Fellas, it's finally happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgNndtga3zY

HRTF in HL1 using MetaAudio (probably not VAC friendly, use -insecure in the command line just to be safe)

This is the closest we'll get to A3D. Not sure if it's the same one in the video, but the github link is a fork that uses Alure instead of OpenAL. Supports HRTF, occlusion, distance attenuation, and EFX all with a lower audio latency

Question:
What's the deal with those barrels at the start?
I've seen them work (fly way up in the air) only back after release and then every time they either do what they do in the video or just jump a few feet then and come back? It does it today on the same disc install that didn't do it 20 years ago, is there something in the physics engine that doesn't like new hardware or high framerates? Same thing that messes with grenade physics?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Convex posted:

I like the more subtle CRT filters in Retroarch, they gonna long way to improving 8- and 16-bit games on modern displays. Sonic Mania also has a good one.

Are they good enough to accurately reproduce the fake extended colors and transparency some games used to do yet?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Kins posted:

I'm surprised nobody's done this yet.

With proper thermodynamics simulation so if you keep trying to do it the effect gets weaker.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Reveal trailer I just saw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwHRPVrZVgM

Seems interesting. Definitely getting Brutal Doom vibes from it.

I have to say, I really like the look of heavily normal mapped sprites/2d things. They look old and new at the same time, Amid evil does it too on its weapons/pickups.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Do any of the source ports support normal mapping? I was just imagining Duke3d or Blood with lighting and normal mapping added in, I know eduke32 has openGl support for lighting and other effects now and GZ doom can already do normal maps.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Kins posted:

This seems timely, given the discussion of retro aesthetic:
https://twitter.com/voidpnt/status/1066465600740814848

Looks like AMC TC style they managed to get a lot out of build engine, any of those level designers working on it?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Pathos posted:

Actually that reminds me - was TekWar as bad as I vaguely remember it being? I think I played a demo of it as a kid and bounced off it pretty hard, but I have no idea why it’s bad or how bad it is. In fact I know very little about it, aside from vague memories that are sorta interspersed with WitchHaven

It was really bad but I guess I was dumb enough to find novelty in a little first person city open areas with civilians walking around in them and a little boat and cars doing laps even. It had a VR computer level at the end that I didn't know what the hell to do it was just confusing and flashing lights were everywhere so I gave up.

edit: it was somehow worse than I remembered it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2OS4Vl_TUM

Pathos posted:

Do is it just kind of meh? I remember WitchHaven (which I think was capstone?) being fun-ish when I was a kid, but with really awful level design. My impression was always that TekWar was worse, but I don’t know much about how it actually was.

WitchHaven was better but was also kind of boring and looked ugly and uneven, I got as far as a level where you had to jump over a tiny pit full of instant death spikes around the exit tile which I could never figure out how to get over since I'd bounce off the roof jumping over it.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 25, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mordja posted:

Say one thing for Prodeus; one of the dudes working on it has some bonafides, having done level design at Raven, Irrational and Overkill.

E: but this is what I'm talking about
https://twitter.com/ProdeusGame/status/1065671282212118533
That's a good enough model that imo the game doesn't need to rely on pixel-filters as a crutch, though of course who knows how well it's animated.

So are Prodeus enemies 2d things with normal maps, lighting, shadows like Amid Evil or 3d things without interpolation between 8 facing directions and animations or a mix of both?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Problem I'm seeing with Prodeus:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1023232240824795136
Grey, grey, grey and grey!
Enemies just blend straight into the background and everything kind of looks the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

3DFX Vodoo had the coolest branding of just about any computer thing ever. It's really held up well. You could slap it on a modern product and it would look fine. Well maybe not the Voodoo2 one with the red guy with the X on his forehead, but anything else.

What you don't like star fox frog on your box?