Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Any tips for Hexen II, beyond installing the Hammer of Thyrion source port and adding +mlook to autoexec.cfg?

And you know, "get used to hubs/connected levels", because they already loved doing that in the first Hexen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Shadow Hog posted:

Get a pad and a pencil and get ready to make some honest-to-God notes of every little blurb the game throws your way, because it likes to tell you what needs to be done well before you're in a position to do it, doesn't update the things that tell you what you need to do after you've done it, and doesn't explicitly tell you what you should actively be doing. At least if you manually keep track of the gameplay beats it throws your way, you might stand a chance of remembering what it is you have to do if you decide to take a break for a lengthy period of time; my own playthrough is likely a lost cause since I stopped midway through the first hub years ago, and going back to it revealed that I have no idea where I have and haven't been anymore, and can't tell which hints I've already solved the puzzles for and which ones remain to yet be done.

Also whack everything. Even walls. They went all-out on destructible environments and it kinda owns. I don't think progression is locked behind smashing open a hidden wall (anything you need to smash open is fairly obvious), but you can find hidden stashes of goodies this way, so don't pass that up.

Ooh, you were not kidding about Hexen II. I just finished the first episode and there were a couple times where I found something and didn't know exactly where to go next. I also had a to use a walkthrough to find out that I needed to break stained glass windows to reach an area, but outside of that just wandering around did the trick.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Dark Forces is one of those games that is probably going to sit unplayed in my Steam library forever (Jedi Knight as well). I did enjoy the SDQ run from a couple years back however. It has a good runner who explains how he breaks the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=578Qjud9I1M

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

BaconCopter posted:

Finally pushed past the initial obtuseness of EYE and am having a blast! The game is totally different then I was expecting, it's a tactical shooter that really encourages corner leaning. Only on level 3 of the campaign but the "side missions" seem much harder.

I'm really hating how the game saves. I've beaten missions, quit the game for the time, and had to do the final objective again twice on restart.

Ooh, I just started playing EYE today as well, after finishing Hexen II yesterday (which is not a game I would recommend, sorry Raven Software). The side missions definitely can be a bitch. I played the city one first, and it put me up against like 50 enemies in the span of four minutes. So much for 6 assault rifle clips being enough, I barely had time to loot ammo or to turn it into healing (I also ended up failing a protect objective later on). Then I tried the factory one and one of my objectives was to assassinate a Jian, who ended up being godlike. I ended up losing like 8 lives to the guy, because respawning while he's still standing around didn't prove very fruitful. I ended up luring him towards the armory, only to find out that the sentry turrets there did nothing. So yeah, that was a restart.

It's a very unique game tho. Beyond the plot and general dialogues being oh so off, the actual execution is quite interesting. It feels like some kind of weird European precursor to what we have now in games like Destiny and The Division. Only the overall feel is like it's single-player mod with a story back in the HL/UT/Q3 days.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Lambert posted:

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast still holds up pretty well. So if you're interested in swinging dat saber, get that one.

Some of it is rough tho. Not starting out with a saber and force powers. Having to protect those prisoners with a turret. Nar Shaddaa with its suicidal bombers and snipers. The small droid in Bespin that just loves charging into wired explosives.

It’s one reason why I would replay Jedi Academy instead. You’re a jedi from the start and there are just smaller set-pieces instead of elaborate levels. Even a mission without much combat (the one inspired by Tremors) is interesting. I only remember disliking the one that resolves around speeder bikes.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 2, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yea to RF 1, nay to RF 2 (it does have Lance Hendriksen and Jason Statham voicing NPCs).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 6, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think Red Faction 2 is not good. It feels like a game designed for consoles first. The levels are short and all over the place thematically. The gunplay feels off. And the story is not really important, but yeah, not that great either.

Red Faction 1 on the other hand feels like it has a theme going on (even though the original Total Recall was an obvious inspiration). It’s a good Half-Life/PS2 era shooter.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

Staring glassy-eyed into the distance, haunted by memories of an error message stating that only Limited Sound would play during this session of Wing Commander.

I played Descent and the original Rise of the Triad with just music, no sounds effects (so that was an odd experience when I purchased them from Good Old Games). Now odds are just that little me just wasn't very patient with sound setup and just went with "Adlib" every time, but hey I had no idea what kind of hardware a PC contained back then.

I also remember playing Space Crusade and having the internal speaker beep and boop the music. That lasted for half a hour before my mother kindly told me to turn it off. Apparently 7:30 AM on a weekday was just too early for such noise.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 13, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Is Ultimate Quake II Patch still good? I have Quake 2 on Steam, just want to play single-player + expansions and I don't care about updated visuals. It seems like it does what I want, but I'd like a "yea" or "nay" from someone experienced with it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 14, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yes, but I want the music, and pcgamingwiki says you need something to add it to the Steam version.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think it's nice if the graphics menu explains what settings do, so you don't get moments like "WTF is bokeh?". I watched some Black Ops 4 streams yesterday and some of the settings explain what they do with words and pictures.

(feel free to watch this video muted)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk-wcDLkJck

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 15, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

My perspective on dual wielding is that the more impractical the weapon, the more fun it becomes.

Wielding two flare guns in Blood is both fun and practical.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I too enjoyed Infiltration for UT, much more than any of the other tactilol mods. My load-out of choice was a MP5 with two clips*, shotgun with no extra ammo and a single grenade. Being mobile and rushing at the start was great.

*Infiltration forums anno 2001 are triggered

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

So I've never actually played it, but HalfQuake is out on Steam. From what I know, they're a series of trippy, masocore platformers for the first Half Life. Still worth a play?

I played Amen when it came out and back then it was interesting and unique enough to ignore the parts where you died a dozen times before you could continue. I feel it has been overtaken by more than a decade of indie games, to the point where you have to keep "this was made back in 200X !" in the back of your head constantly to appreciate it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I got the FEAR collection as part of a Humble Bundle and it didn’t have that DLC either. Bought it really cheap during a sale and that was the right price, because it’s over really fast. It also doesn’t do anything special, it’s just more FEAR 2.

Really weird that it no longer is a separate product.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

The greatest technical advancement of the PS360 era was allowing multiple Steve Blums and Nolan Norths to exist in the same place as once, presumably by way of time/space continuum manipulation that future generations will come to curse us for.

Obligatory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

[...] Great music though!

Oooonnnlllyyyy yyyooouuuuuuuuuuuu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIGsApQiLI

I had written a long post about Far Cry 5, but then I suddenly got hit by sleep dart and I don’t remember what happened next. Weird!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

catlord posted:

I would 100% absolutely buy that game.

Jericho was so bad, and the worst part about that is that everything except for playing the game itself was good. It had an interesting Clive Barker story; neat, gross locations; interesting characters you could switch between at any time... but the game is basically entirely long corridors with bulletsponge enemies and, though this may just be me, the most interesting powers are also very finicky to use. I hope Clive Barker gets to work on another game at some point, but with two commercially unsuccessful games and one that got cancelled, I doubt we will.

And to top it all off: the game had something you could barely call an ending. You end up in some kind of watery world to deal with the final boss and said boss instantly kills off two of your teammates. During the boss fight each remaining member of the team has a gimmick it has to use during a certain phase, so the devs basically killed those two people because they couldn’t come up with a gimmick for them. You beat the boss, dive in the water for safety, emerge out of the other side of a tunnel into a huge body of water, the camera moves towards the sky and ???

There is no narration or dialogue to tell you what is going to happen after you beat that final boss. There are 8-bit games that just go “Conglatulations!” and that’s a better ending.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 13, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I think FEAR 2 had a helmet HUD and it mostly was awkward because of the limited POV. Combined with some of the default controls it really made the vanilla settings feel like a console game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Kins posted:

Re: Shadow Warrior, it's also worth picking up the free version on Steam, because it includes a big pile of prototype versions that document the development hell that game went through pretty thoroughly.

Back when Duke 3D came out, the disc had DN1 and 2, shareware versions of a bunch of Apogee games, plus screenshots for a bunch of in development games. Those screenshots for SW definitely looked different than the finished product.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

How does one even begin to even think of something like this, let alone develop it?

You come up with a stupid pun doing something else, the pun won’t leave your mind, etc.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Flannelette posted:

The expansion packs for quake 2 worth playing?

I recently played through Quake II and the mission packs. I have to say "no" to The Reckoning and a "maybe" to Ground Zero. None of the additions to Reckoning are that great. On a whole the game loves to give you a lot of unavoidable damage, through the new enemies and where they spawn. And two of the "new" (literally pre-existing but with a summer hatshield) enemies are just made to be bullet sponges, to the point that the latter levels are terrible just because you need more than half a minute to take one of them out. The reason I give a "maybe" to Ground Zero is because Reckoning burned me out on the game and I quit GZ after a few levels. From what did see I have to say the levels were better designed that the other mission pack though.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 9, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I played Hexen II this year and the spiders are terrible. At first they are regular sized*, take two hits and are simply very annoying in a game in which you have just 4 weapons instead of an entire arsenal. And then they become big. Which makes them easier to hit, but also makes them require a lot more hits to kill. Added to that there is one level in which you walk to get some items only to have the floor shatter and have you fall in a small room that has 4 or 5 of those big spiders. So if you've were already dealing with arachnophobia, congratulations: this video game just gave you a heart attack.

*for anyone who does not live in Australia

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 12, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Flannelette posted:

The reckoning Quake 2 mission pack has these grunts with laser guns that are even worse chaingunners, a couple of seconds after seeing you they shoot a 100% accurate red laser that just chips off your health so you're stuck in a constant pain screen/noise while your health runs down even if they're standing far away on top of a building.

On a whole that expansion loves to place enemies in a way that you won't seem them when entering a room and so they'll get to shoot first. It also did monster closets before Doom 3, because the amount of times it opens up a little hidey hole in an area behind you is astonishing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

ponzicar posted:

The huge number of kids who played shareware Doom with all weapons and god mode really shouldn't be forgotten. Show me someone who grew up with Doom who claims to not know what IDKFA does, and I'll show you a liar.

Yeah, back in the day I played all FPS games with cheats. Why wouldn’t you want to use your favorite weapons from the get-go and with constant ammo?

I still use cheats sometimes when playing old games I’ve never played before, because what is the point of playing those when you don’t have nostalgia and then can’t finish them?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Vakal posted:

On the flipside, more games should do like Earthworm Jim for Sega CD where you get a special message from the developers when you beat it on the hardest difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTu4fCxPi8g

Sadly, this message was probably recorded by EWJ creator Doug TenNapel who loves to remind people who he thinks are not the best.

(The PC version had red book audio and featured that message as well.)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 25, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

That's what I remember liking about Bioshock's difficulty options. It noted during the selection that easy was for people new to FPS shooters, medium for people who have played FPS before and hard for seasoned veterans.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I played a MOBA for 3 years and so now I no longer can play games for fun and/or enjoyment.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm not quite interested enough to play it right now, but are there any good LPs of patched allyless Daikatana out there?

I wonder as well, because I never got further than the second act*. The game suddenly has these connected levels like Quake 2 and I promptly got stuck somewhere. Back then video streaming still was ***buffering*** RealPlayer. GameFAQs and *scrapes throat* PLANETDAIKATANA didn't have detailed walkthroughs either. You could gauge how loathed this game was by the absence of information.

*I could have used cheats to teleport to the next level, but then my Hanzo steel katana would have been reset to zero. I could have then used cheats to fix that, but I really just hit a breaking point and gave up on the game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

It also played an extremely loud techno song any time you did anything

New Order - “Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction Mix)”, as heard in the first Blade movie.

If you are not that familiar with New Order be sure to listen to the original version of that song. It is mind-blowing how different it is (also a pretty terrible New Order song lol).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 30, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Taking a glance at my library on the Twitch app besides Superhot I see Overload, Strafe, "The Original Strife: Veteran Edition" and System Shock: Enhanced Edition.

Also something called High Hell, more indie than retro. I guess that was part of the Devolver Digital pack at the end of last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBvAmvD-DlY

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 31, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Flannelette posted:

I think this would be an example of peak amiga where almost everything has 2 side lights gradients and a spec highlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9nD9DQwd80
and other ones like Turrican, 80s European comic style mentioned above is a pretty good description.

I played that on PC as a kid, but I only realized a couple years ago that it is an arrangement of a licensed song.
(melody starts at 0:46)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWbJeUEKzc8

...which in turn samples a theme by John Carpenter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS7k3G_6IjE

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 4, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

haveblue posted:

It's great, isn't it? The project started out as a fantasy RPG but they eventually realized FPS run and gun was their forte so they just repurposed all the assets under that new model and now you're running through a castle blowing up knights with a grenade launcher.

I think it’s hilarious that Hexen II is closer to the game they wanted to make.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I played both Max Payne 1 and 2 with an infinite bullet time mod. Did it pad the game length considerably using slo-mo so much? Yes. Was it it fun? Yes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

All I know about Jedi Knight 1 is that makes for a great game to watch as a speedrun.

I enjoyed the speedrun for Dark Forces a couple years ago too. That one didn’t get as ridiculous as JK1 tho.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

heard u like girls posted:

Confusion 87 from the Substance album is the best New Order song wtf

Yeah right, I imagine "World In Motion" is in your top 3 as well :colbert:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Glagha posted:

So I decided to actually do a playthrough of Daikatana after hearing y'all talk about it (with the 1.3 patch I'm not crazy) and man I hope you guys are right about the second episode being better. Like this game isn't as soul crushingly bad as you'd expect by reputation, but I only JUST got Superfly and ai partners are apparently an issue, but I also hear the patch fixes a lot of that so... But yeah other than getting bored of shooting mosquitoes and frogs forever, my major complaint is just how goofy and awkward all the weapons are. The gently caress is a vitzatergo and why is it nearly suicidal to use? ULTIMATE GAS HANDS? Why is this shotgun like this.

Anyway I'm still at it, none of this makes me want to stop but there's just some mind boggling design decisions as one would expect from a game of this reputation.

Have fun poisoning yourself with snake balls in episode 2.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It’s been two decades since I last thought about Bad Toys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TmGiAs-6y8

It was on a shareware CD-ROM* back in the day. Looking for the above video I found another one in colour. Apparently the Windows 3.1 version was black & white, but the Win95 version had colour and like 20 more frames per second. But like that second video notes:

quote:

Bad Toys 3D is a simple FPS to be similar with Wolfenstein series released in 1995.
It was released in 1995.
In 1995, Doom 2 has been released already.
Thus It's not good FPS game.

Buy it? Only :10bux: :shepface:

*I feel old saying both these words.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 21, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

"3D"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4mujEonrOs

And somebody was talking about FPS HUDs a while back. Have an identity card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OsH4ZuAlI

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I remember reading a review of Red Faction saying it was “good, but not as memorable as the adventures of Morgan Freeman”. A few years later it was topped by the TV guide talking about Married With Children featuring “that loveable idiot Ted Bundy”.